main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OOC A Tide of Discussion: the d20 ToF OOC thread

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Saintheart, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Rilwen_Shadowflame Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 27, 2005
    So yeah, the one up the back is unlikely to bother us while we're disconnecting it from its phone-a-friend.:p We can probably take out the closest before it can respond.

2. LightWarden

LightWarden Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2001
    So, who's controlling Skadi? Saint? Me?

3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    She's like the Ouija board of PCs. "Are you moving her?"

4. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Uncertainty PC.

Light, I'm cool if you want to control her for the shiggles... :)

5. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    Well, with William, Maz, Evelios, and Ariel taking their turn (or two) and me responsible for Skadi, that leaves Corrath, Ragnar, and Zanaek, but I haven't seen Xan in four weeks.

6. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Didn't Peng post his action as whatever gets him an optimal hit on the closer one?

7. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Pretty sure I did - my posts were basically identical, too.

8. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    Oh, right. I forgot about your previous post. Corrath, Zanaek, and Skadi it is.

Ok, then I guess Skadi's action would be the same as the rest- Charge as far forward as she can and smack the the demon on the right, using her extra limbs for a two-hand power attack and smiting some evil. Since she has air walk, try to gain some altitude to strike from above, ending up somewhere around U16, I guess. Cold Resistance eats Winterfell's bonus damage, so not going to roll for that.

Time for numbers!
    1d20 + 7 (BAB) + 5 (Str) + 2 (enhancement) + 1 (weapon focus) + 9 (inspire courage) + 2 (charge) - 7 (power attack) + 4 (smite evil) + 1 (high ground?) = 32
    1d8 + 7 (Str w/ two hands) + 2 (enhancement) + 5 (holy warrior w/Flame Strike) + 3 (gauntlets) + 9 (inspire courage) + 14 (power attack) + 10 (smite evil) + 1d6 (improved smite) = 55, ignoring the DR since improve smite makes it count as a good-aligned weapon

9. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Toasty.

10. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    If you want to see toasty, upgrade Ariel and Ragnar's weapons to Valorous for 5k gp each after this.

11. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Uuuugggh, no. Although we never got to fight anybody with them, I remember statting up Mitth_Fisto's barbarian with a valorous falchion. I think he was pulling something like 50+ hitpoints off shaving cuts imposed with that thing.

Anyway, if Xan doesn't show in the next 24 hours, how 'bout we move on without her? Light, your option - I can do her turn for her if you're not otherwise inclined...

12. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    Well, I don't think there's much of a decision to be made regarding Corrath. The demons are blind, so it's sneak attack time. She can charge like the rest.

Also, don't forget that Ragnar has Leap Attack, which deals +100% of the normal bonus damage he does with Power Attack, so -10 penalty becomes +40 damage (+20 bonus damage for a two-hander, +100% for leap attack.) It's one of those things that only comes through in the errata (Errata for Leap Attack clarifies that it's +100% damage, but they don't clarify how that interacts with two-handed weapons unless you look at the errata for Complete Warrior).

Mitth, Zanaek isn't stunned thanks to William's Dispel, so you can do whatever you were planning to do.

13. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    Is there a way to tell which of the two is the summoned demon?

14. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Yeah, it's the frontmost one.

15. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Rilwen_Shadowflame Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 27, 2005
    AKA, the one everybody's currently been attacking.
    Our old buddy the original is the one various spells have put on ice until at least next turn. Since he is, IIRC, Slowed, Glitterdusted, Hold Monster'd, and on a patch of Grease, I somehow think he might be a little distracted right now.:p

16. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    He has to wait in line to get wailed on just like everybody else. No special privileges just for being the original. :p

Rilwen_Shadowflame likes this.
  17. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    Just wanted to get the right one for Dismissal. :D Don't have time to write up a post atm, but that's what Z will do.

18. cassie5squared

cassie5squared Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 8, 2010
    Bwahahaha. :D

19. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Okkkkaaaaaay, very sorry for that incredibly long delay which was borne as much of creative dryness as rule headscratching and math.

Very briefly, um, you guys won in one round, though I admittedly have fudged it a little as you'll see from the update in a moment.

Here's how the numbers panned out for the interested...

Monsters: 21 – stuns Zanaek
    William: 21 – Takes stun off Zanaek, moves forward 6 squares, Slows both demons
    Evelios: 20 – inspires courage at +9, takes 5 nonlethal damage, draws rapier
    Mazarun: 19 – Moves up six squares, uses White Raven Tactics, casts Grease vs. Glabrezu (original one). This succeeds, so Glabrezu falls to the ground prone. Allows William to act again…
    William – Glitterdusts both monsters, Hold Monster on original glabrezu.
    Ariel: 18 – Dive attack vs. summoned glabrezu: +20 +20 True Strike -10 (Power Attack) +9 (bard) for 1d10+5+20 (PA) +9 (bard) x2 (Dive attack) +2d6 (diving charge) +1d8 (sonic) = Natural 20. and a 9 on the 1d10 roll. (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3932791/) So damage: 1d10 [9] +5 [STR and weapon] +9 [bard] +20 [Power Attack] x3 (Dive Attack, Critical Hit) +8 (diving charge) +8 (sonic) = 43 x 3 + 16 = 145 damage.
    Corrath: 17 – moves then charges on summoned glabrezu. Attack: 1d20+18+9+2 (charge) = 1d20+29 = rolls total of 40, so, hit. Damage = 1d6+9 +9 [bard] +7d6+10 [sneak attack] = 8d6+28 = 56 points damage = dead summoned demon.
    Ragnar: 17 Goes on rage, charges original glabrezu, Power Attack: 1d20+22+9 (bard) = 1d20+31 = 33 (barely hits.) Damage = 2d8+12+9+33 = 2d8+54 = 56 damage (ish), I think I got Leap Attack wrong in here.
    Zanaek: 14 Goes with Dismissal. See below about this.
    Skadi: 10 - Rejoices in victory.

Anyway, as you can see, Zanaek's original course of Dismissal against the 'summoned' glabrezu would have been contrary to his intention, because the summoned glabrezu was already dead (or flicked back to its plane of existence, rather) by that point. Nonetheless, rather than debate alternate courses that really are just going to prolong things another round, I'm having Zanaek exercise the same spell against the "original" glabrezu because it would still work: it's an extraplanar creature, a valid target for the spell. And I'm doing that because Dismissal allows a 20% chance that the creature winds up on another plane.

That 20% came up on my roll.

So I'm fiating the demon did go to another plane: the House of the Triad. As in, Torm, Tyr, and Ilmater's home plane. As in, a plane that you really don't want to be on when you're glitterdusted, slowed, and where the next thing you see is probably this:

[​IMG]

Congrats, guys, you did it. Update will follow. I think we'll mark up the kills to Ariel and Zanaek, respectively, mainly because Corrath is sort-of under computer control at the moment. :)

EDIT: And yes, Zanaek can behave as if he knows exactly where the creature's gone and that it will be dealt with in the roughly one or two rounds it has left to live on a plane of Lawful Good.

20. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    [​IMG]

That's one of the most beautiful rounds I've ever seen.

Penguinator likes this.
  21. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Oh come on, like you guys didn't murder the Ghostlord in one round. ;) :D

Penguinator likes this.
  22. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    That one's also a personal favorite because I got to use Louis Armstrong to doom a lich. :p

23. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Update's done, guys...

24. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Looks like Ulwai let that demon ...

go to her head.

Still, she had a good, if evil brain on her shoulders. In the end she just stuck her neck out a little too far. She had a bit of a penchant for running around like a chicken with it's head cut off, but she could always roll with any potential headaches that came her way.

25. cassie5squared

cassie5squared Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 8, 2010
    *takes a good look at the game and this thread*

*boggles*

*repeats*

*falls over*

ONE ROUND? :eek:

I am continually astounded at the destruction we wreak upon the evil. :p