1. Oh hai Guest!

Welcome to the RPF!

Fantasy A Tide of Flames: a d20 Dungeons & Dragons adventure

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Saintheart, Feb 20, 2008.

Moderators: Penguinator, Ramza
  1. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 6
    Evelios D'Rtan Considers the Level of Music Here to be Dangerously Low, and Poe the Raven
    "Woke up this mornin
    feelin' round for my shoes
    Know bout at I got these
    old walkin blues" - Robert Johnson

"Okay, you know what? I put up with a lot, like a whole lot, but I draw the line at accusations of magical stupefaction. The line! Bloody organized churches think they're so bloody great. The sun's right there! You don't need to build a house for it, it's got the whole freaking universe! With all of it's magical explodey gas and giant space hamsters, to boot! C'mon Poe, we're going for a walk." Evelios collected his things.

"But what about the d-"

"Demons or devils or whatever the hell aren't my line of specialty anyway. You know they're a lot like priests - they don't appreciate a free spirit!" He grumbled as he stormed out the door, presumably saying a couple of things you wouldn't repeat in polite company.

"Aren't you supposed to be the diplomat or something?"

"I'm in a bad mood and couldn't care less about the particulars of locating some metaphysical malarchy. Is it eight bells?"

"I believe I heard the chimes to that effect, yes."

"... Well, drinking is overrated anyway. You game for finding a performance venue?"

"What, are you some kind of beggar now?"

"No, but I am a gods damn entertainer. I think I'll go entertain some folks WHO DON'T THINK I'VE BEEN HIT WITH A STUPEFACTION BEAM!"

"I... uh... don't think they can hear you from out here."

"... They might."

"... You're not actually mad, are you?"

Evelios grinned, scratching his beard. "An excuse is an excuse."

TAG: Saint

OOC: Dunno if I need to roll Gather Information or if I just need to hit up the markets, but the name of the game is finding a venue.
  2. LightWarden Force Ghost

star 4
  3. Saintheart Chosen One

star 6
    OOC: Well, there goes one slot in my Christmas presents for ... this year? :D :D

ramza, Evelios can happily head back to the Craven Raven, which is where he pulled up cash last time he was here. :)
  4. Ktala Force Ghost

star 6
    Ariel Elandinai
    The Cathedral of Lathander, Brindol, Elsir Vale

Listening to the Cleric rattle on the possible deamons and such that might be responsible for such a thing was not comforting. She tried to remember anything else of possible significance, but nothing immediately sprang to mind. Ariel had not forgotten the strange way her magic had worked, especially over her weapon. But she did not think he was the one to ask such questions to, so she was satisfied to stay silent. Who was to say how magic worked within a combined dream. Skadi had decided to stay and keep watch over Ulwai, and Evelios had just left the room as well.

Zanaek and Mazarun were speaking to each other. Skadi asked if any of them wanted to go into the city. Well, considering how they had left the city, and now how they had arrived within the city walls, Ariel was sure that there would be someone interested in speaking with them. But she did not wish to stay within the church either. At least she could restock in some supplies. She looked back over at Zanaek. He would most likely wish to handle other 'clerical duties'
    now.

Ariel looked over at Skadi. "I think I will go as well. I can not help here." she stated. Pulling her cloak around her, she moved for the door. "I will see if I can find rooms perhaps." she added as she reached for the door, and then exited. She was sure that there would be someone to make sure she didnt go anyplace she wasnt supposed to. She was simply happy to leave the room. She would head for the marketplace first. Even though they had not had any trouble with the other hotel, it might be prudent to check out the other hotels as well, hoping that perhaps they would have room. Once outside, Ariel took a deep breath and looked to the skies.

Being a grounder was limiting. VERY limiting.

TAG: Saint, all

OOC: suureeee. I'll go wandering. Im sure I'll find something interesting. ;)

----
    OOC: Skadi trusted Tredora Goldenbrow about as far as she could throw her- less, actually, because Skadi was pretty certain she could get a good distance with the other cleric.
    :D
    LOL
    hehehe :p I would pay to see that!! [face_laugh]
  5. Penguinator RPF Modinator and Batmanager

Manager
    star 6
    Ragnar Ingvarsson

Evelios' rant wasn't entirely unjustified. He had been getting some flak lately, that was sure. So have I, he thought. Deserved it, though.

He stepped over to the bard's side. "So you want to play, eh?" He grinned. "I want to listen. And who knows what sorts of men will be interested in a good arm wrestle!"

He clapped Evelios on the shoulder and smiled broadly. "We leave these to their lore and legend. Taverns are our libraries, yes?"

Tag: Ramza, the company
  6. cassie5squared Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    IC: William Marshall

William glanced after those of his companions who had stormed out, and then back to the clerics. "I think I will remain here," he said mildly. "I'm in no hurry to be anywhere else in the city at the moment."

He stepped back, out of everyone else's way, and leaned against the wall with Maeghen settled on his shoulder. He wasn't going to intervene in this definitively clerical matter - demons were not his speciality - but he'd be here if they wanted his help.

TAG: All
  7. DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    IC: Corrath Marktos

Well, it looked like the clerics had this well in hand. William was going to remain, but Ariel, Evelios and Ragnar were all making plans that seemed to basically be about Being Elsewhere, which sounded like an excellent idea to Corrath.

"I'm off, too," the rogue said. "Call me if you need me." (She doubted they would; even if they decided this Nathys fellow needed executing, they probably wouldn't bother with an assassination, Skadi'd just take his head off.)

Quietly, the rogue slipped out of the cathedral. Perhaps she'd explore the Thieves' Highway she found last time...

TAG: Saint, any
  8. Saintheart Chosen One

star 6
    Zanaek Grahorn, Sa'adi Adim, William Marshall, Mazarun Zothyrr(?)[/b]

Eight bells, Twenty-third of Mirtul, morning
    Year of Scattered Lanterns (1378 DR)

As it turned out, Menechem remained with the hobgoblin and the rest of those who chose to remain; Devin Barrowill was sent for both refreshments and in search of either a cleric within the Cathedral or the appropriate scroll with which to try the hobgoblin's memories. Nathys, for his part, continued a slow, methodical check over Ulwai's physical form, albeit he was neither invasive nor violent with his actions. About half an hour later, he finally rose to join the others by the small plate of food and water left there. He picked up a cup of water and some bread, moving back over towards Ulwai.
    "She will need to be unbound to eat and drink," he said, looking back at the party members expectantly.

TAG: Livi, cassie, Rilwen(?)
    Ariel Elandinai

The streets of God's Rest, Brindol, Elsir Vale

Ariel managed to leave the cathedral without being noticed -- if there was still a surge of interest in their presence at the house of Lathander, it had dispersed among the commoners walking Cathedral Square. The square itself, a large open swathe of green, was a riot of morning colour from the light shining through the cathedral's rose window from the east. Ariel, on the other hand, was looking around at the people. Seeing as she wasn't in quite as big a hurry as she had been, she had the opportunity to notice that people were, in fact, looking worried: now and then people would meet, greet, hug one another with fierce strength, and then part, with no sign that the meeting had brought any relief to either party. Men walked warily, sticking close to their families; even children seemed subdued, somehow realising that play was inappropriate though not realising why. It was, in brief, the look of a people preparing for war. Or destruction.

Orienting herself, the avariel set off on foot northwards, in the direction she remembered the markets as being. Ahead was the city division she remembered as the Theatre District, downhill; and beyond that, the large open space of the marketplace just south of the Elsir River and the two bridges spanning it. Off to the northeast, peering from behind the hill's face, was the three storeys of Brindol Academy, where they'd first met William Marshall; and east, further uphill, the frowning edifice of Brindol Keep, the city's main redoubt, visible through a grove of heavy wanderwood that screened the western slope of the hill.

Shadows passed over her. The avariel glanced up, hands going to her weapon out of habit; but the only thing that flew overhead was ... a flight of giant owls. Eight of them; spaced out in patrol formation, she registered -- and they had riders as well. They could not have been the owls the Company had left back in the Thornwaste; that was a good hundred miles from here and only half an hour ago or more that they'd set off.
    They could only be wingriders of the Tiri Kitor.
    The eight owls flew out of the northeast, passing over her and then circling to disappear down into the wood she'd observed uphill of herself.

TAG: Ktala
    Corrath Marktos

The rooftops of Tanner's Row, Brindol, Elsir Vale

Unlike Ariel, Corrath had set out due west into God's Rest, mostly because the most likely-looking buildings were in that direction. There was a coffinmaker's place across the square from her, a two-storey joint that looked just as dowdy and businesslike as all coffin stores did, though the delicately stencilled name of the place -- Discreet Departures -- did pull a smile onto one half of her face.

She'd slipped into an alleyway behind the place, having to look innocent and/or intoxicated for a good minute or so as she scanned waterbarrels, boxes and drainpi/>/>
  9. Ktala Force Ghost

star 6
    Ariel Elandinai
    The streets of God's Rest, Brindol, Elsir Vale

Ariel was glad that there was no problem when she left the cathedral. She was glad to have some time to herself. As she walked, she looked around the city. The square itself, a large open swathe of green, was a riot of morning color from the light shining through the cathedral's rose window from the east. Quite beautiful, actually. Ariel also noticed how the people in the city were reacting now. It was evident that they knew something bad was coming. It was a very somber city now. War was coming for them. But the people of Drellin had done well for themselves, Brindol should fare better. Especially with the Lich now gone. It could have been much worse. Now that none, were paying attention to her, it allowed Ariel a chance to really watch the city, something she had not been able to do before. Too bad these grounders could not fly. But even if they could, they probably had no place to go.

Ariel turned northwards, in the direction of the market area. She scanned the area ahead of her, remembering the places she had already been, and from what she remembered from the map. She looked towards the woods northeast of where she now stood. The woods looked welcoming, in a way. Perhaps, she could find a spot to ...

Shadows passed over her. She looked up, her hands moving to her weapon, but then she paused. A flight of giant owls? Ariel could not help but let out a smile. Eight of them; spaced out in patrol formation -- and they had riders as well. Riders? They could have only from from the Tiri Kitor. What were they doing here? She had expected them to arrive, but much later with the horses they had left behind. Had something happened to them?

As she walked, she tracked them. The eight owls flew out of the northeast, passing over her and then circling to disappear down into the wood she'd observed uphill. She muttered, wishing that she had an invisibility potion now. She would rather fly, than have to play grounder. But she did not wish to be shot or causing a panic with the grounders within the city. Ariel quickly noted where they had disappeared in the woods, and began to move quickly, heading for where the Tiri Kitor had flown. She didnt flat out run, as running into someone would not be helpful either. She thought about using her ring, but since she had no idea if there was anything wrong, no real reason to bother anyone else at the moment. And she did not mind the Tiri Kitor, unlike some of the others it seemed. So Ariel quickly through the town, to make her way to the woods.

She did wonder if any of the city would try to take aim at the large owls. From their earlier exploits at the Academy, they had not seemed to really know much of the Tiri Kitor. As if they had no contact. Ariel keep an open eye. If she could find a spot where she had the opportunity to use her wings without anyone watching, she would. If not, she would wait until she got into the woods. Ariel moved on quickly.

TAG: Saintheart
  10. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 6
    Evelios D'Rtan is Surprisingly Good at Getting Information from his Inebriated Brethren, and Poe the Raven
    "I get so tired of sneakin' around / Just to get to your back door
    I crawled past the garbage and / Your mama jumped out, screamin'
    'Don't come back no more' / I can't take it
    My guitar wants to kill your momma." - The Mothers of Invention

"Depressed sober people in a rush. My god, war is hell," Evelios muttered, scratching his beard. He turned to his large, northern companion. "You know, Ragnar, if our company screws this up, this might become the permanent state of affairs in this region?" The bard shook his head. "I tell ya, that ain't right."

{{Since when do we say ain't?}}

{{Yeah, I object to this sort of thing. Ain't ain't a word.}}

{{Careful now.}}

{{DOWN WITH THIS SORT OF THING!}}

{{Really? Is that the comedic depth we're sinking to? Memes?}}

{{What's a meme?}}

{{Some kind of halibut, I think.}}

{{Maybe a type of tripe.}}

{{Oh shut up.}}

"Well, considering the last time we set foot in the Zombie my ears paid the price several times over, my vote is for the Manticore. Manticore, manticore, slanticore, banticore, planet core..."

"Bombad," Poe chimed in.

"Indeed. Quite bombad. Also maybe a bit racist."

TAG: Peng
  11. Saintheart Chosen One

star 6
    Ariel Elandinai

Garrison Hill, Brindol, Elsir Vale

She sensed it even as she turned from her northward path and to the east, up the hill.

Not in the way of the goddess's gifts as such; more something of a song within her heart, like the feeling she had in the mornings on the Eyrie when the sun broke over the Tiumaril, the eastern peaks; during the ceremonies when the wingleaders of the avariel rose to open arms and hearts to the sky and to the sun. A feeling like being at the eye of a gathering storm, feeling all of that immense power of the storm around her and yet being calm, unmoved, at its centre. A feeling that rose in her heart, in all the avariel's hearts, when they rose to war.

It amazed her, here, now, that she hadn't felt it within the Blackfens; there, it must have been some of their power to conceal their presence, conceal the magic that shouted from every tree here. Or perhaps the trees here, so long without the People to tend them, recognising old friends could not conceal their joy. It also explained why, as she walked uphill, the number of passers-by dropped away to nothing. Part of it was that this stand of wanderwood and fire elm had little to offer the urban dweller, but she knew in her heart this, too, was the power at work within this wood - a power that had kept two centuries of humans from Rhestilor out of the swamps, Elias's pledge notwithstanding, and now kept this small wood newly sacred.

She'd hardly reached the edge of the stand of trees when two lithe figures swung down on fine rope to bar her path. (And yet she already knew; there was a strangeness that kept the interior of the wood in shadow, a strangeness she guessed would not have been here before the People had come.)

They drew weapons, but all she did in reply was unfurl her wings, stretching them to their full, fifteen feet width. Shafts of light through the trees caught white feathers and glowed. The two Tiri Kitor hunters immediately sheathed their blades, heads bowing.
    "Aehilasa faeriya," one of them said. His Common was heavily accented. "What do you wish?"

12. Livi-Wan Force Ghost

star 4
    Sa'adi Adim
    Cathedral of Lathander

"She will need to be unbound to eat and drink."

Skadi set down her own refreshments- just a cup of water and some bread, the events of the past night had left her with little appetite- and stood up in a clank of plate.

"I will do it."

It made sense, to her: she was the strongest, the least likely to be overpowered if Ulwai made a break for it. Not that Skadi expected her to. If the hobgoblin was smart, she'd co-operate indefinitely. Not only would it make Skadi's life easier, it'd extend Ulwai's own existence considerably.

Crossing over to the prisoner, Skadi removed her gauntlets and untied Ulwai.

[TAG all]
  13. Ktala Force Ghost

star 6
    OOC: LOVE THE MUSIC! :)
    Ariel Elandinai
    Garrison Hill

As Ariel turned to climb the hills, towards the woods she had seen the owls disappear into, she felt her heart soar. It was a powerful sensation, a feeling that sang of unity. A song of a deep bond, and belonging. Intertwined with the song of the early morning, when they rose to honor the Winged Mother. And so much more. A powerful, soul touching feeling. To find it, of all places within the city was totally mystifying to her. It seemed to rise up within her, a swelling of emotions, but yet, so peaceful as well. It was something that she sorely had missed. The feeling of the Fae.

It amazed her, here, now, that she hadn't felt it within the Blackfens. If felt as if every tree was welcoming her, sharing some mystical ancient bond. And as she walked further uphill, and noticed that there were no others about, she simply had no need to hide herself here. No, it was as if she felt a whispering within the trees, and the energy around her filled her being. It was an ancient and shared feeling. Ariel paused, drinking in the perfect feeling of peace and oneness, of the whispered joy, that seemed to fill her soul. What powerful magics moved to conceal that which seemed to shout from every living thing within these woods? Did the druid that they had met earlier have something to do with it? Whatever its source, the elder magics in pay were powerful indeed.

Her heart soared, as she slowly walked now, embracing fully what she now felt. It was cleansing and beautiful, and Ariel felt as if her entire body was singing in harmony. It was a wonderful feeling, akin to when she soared within the Winged Mother's skies. She'd had barely reached the edge of the stand of trees when two lithe figures swung down on fine rope to bar her path, from the shadowy realm hidden within the dark forest before her. They drew weapons, and in response she unfurl her wings, stretching them to their full expansion. It felt wonderful to not have to hide them.. to hide herself. The hat, she made shift into a hair clip as she looked at the pair. She did not reach for her weapons, but stood tall as she gave them a smile. The two Tiri Kitor hunters immediately sheathed their blades, heads bowing. "Aehilasa faeriya," one of them said. His Common was heavily accented. "What do you wish?"

Ariel relaxed her wings for a moment, as she considered the question. She had come, out of concern at first. But now, standing at the edge of the woods, she decided on something else. She moved her wings out, and with a brush, did a bow of respect back at the pair.

"Honorable wing riders and warriors of Tiri Kitor.. I wish to answer that which calls to me, even now. I hear the song of the elder woods, and I wish to enter the forest within." she responded. She was sure that there was a reason that brought the Tiri Kitor elves here. Perhaps, they would allow her this. Perhaps not. But she felt that her place was here, for the moment. No where else, keened to her so sharply as this place did now. Ariel waited for their response, as her wings now moved to gently fold behind her.

14. Saintheart Chosen One

star 6
    Sa'adi Adim

The cleric of Tyr slowly untied Ulwai's wrists, and then saw to the gag that had been around the hobgoblin's mouth, laying the food and water before the creature. And she would have got up at that moment, but there was something in the hobgoblin's eyes that kept her from rising. Something that seemed familiar. Something that caused a moment of deja vu in her mind, though like watching the past through a scrying glass.

A pair of tears welled and trickled down the creature's face.
    "I remember you," Ulwai said. "It showed you to me. It hates you. More than the others."
    Zanaek's voice, over Skadi's shoulder: "What do you mean?"
    "You were in the dream. I saw you. It showed me."
    "Can you tell us--" That was Menechem Nathys's voice, but it was interrupted by a murmur from Zanaek that Skadi didn't catch. She was focused on the storm of emotions in the hobgoblin's eyes. More tears, and a shuddering breath from the creature.
    And then Ulwai spoke again, drawing a shuddering breath: "It hates you more than anything else, because it knows you don't fear it. It knows you would give your life before you allowed any of your friends to die. It hates you, because you are ... in the light. Because you saw the dark, and you spurned it, and you are stronger. In the light."

The hobgoblin slowly sank to the floor, collapsing into a shuddering, weeping mass, one trembling hand tentatively reaching out to touch the toe of Skadi's boot. "You--you saw the dark--and you're in the light--and--I--I--the dark will destroy me." She raised her head. Tears streamed down Ulwai's face. "Please--I do not want the dark. No more. Not after--that. Not after what I saw at its core. Please, woman of the Maul. Please, beg your god to have mercy. Please protect me."

TAG: Livi

OOC: In magical terms, neither Skadi, William, or Zanaek have seen any indication that Ulwai's casting a spell, and you're still within a zone of truth. Sense Motive checks, if you like.
  15. Livi-Wan Force Ghost

star 4
    Sa'adi Adim
    Cathedral of Lathander

Skadi did not hesitate for a second. She reached out her hands- her bare hands- to touch Ulwai's face and wipe away the tears that streaked her skin. All thought of vengeance forgotten, she allowed the hobgoblin to lean into her, feeling Ulwai's sobs shake her body- a raw, animal fear as genuine and real as any Skadi had ever seen.

What hope is there? She had asked once, a long time ago, when she had thought her life would be the same forever. What hope is there for one such as me?

There is forgiveness. Isak had replied, the light from the candle illuminating his face. There is atonement. And there is redemption.

Forgive me, Isak. I had forgotten.

"You will be protected." Skadi promised, her voice strong and level. "I will make sure of that."

[TAG All]
  16. Saintheart Chosen One

star 6
    Ariel Elandinai

The Tiri Kitor warriors glanced at one another, and she didn't miss the knowing smile that flickered on their faces. They stood aside. "The avariel will always find shelter among the Tiri Kitor," said one of the elves. The other was already heading back up into the tree, though she sensed he'd not be staying there as guard for long; he would, rather, be headed in to announce her presence.

And then she was walking in the wood. The feeling from further downhill enfolded her, together with a feeling like a door had closed behind her as she entered the stand. And she could see there were more elves here than someone outside the wood might suspect; dozens, either moving to and from cloth tents, or standing preparing weapons, or simply meditating silently on the ground. Nonetheless, each eye turned to her as she moved towards the heart of the wood, acknowledging her.

Towards the centre of the wood was another tent, though this one again was larger. Ariel was unsurprised when its flap opened and Sellyria Starsinger, the Speaker of the Tiri Kitor, emerged. And yet she, too, was different - in a way that perhaps even a non-elven person could detect. The Speaker stood straighter; some of the lines of care in that ancient face had disappeared; and there was a new life in her eyes.

Sellyria smiled, moving towards Ariel, arms open in welcome. "Corellon's Light, it is true! I thought it would be, but you return!"

17. Ktala Force Ghost

star 6
    Ariel Elandinai

Ariel noticed as the two warriors glanced at each other, a knowing smile passed between the pair. Then, they moved aside. "The Avariel will always find shelter among the Tiri Kitor," said one of the elves, as the other disappeared back within the trees. Ariel gave a nod, and continued past. She thought about what the sentry had just stated. She could not help but smile. The feeling she had felt walking towards the woods seemed to encompass her now, together with another strange feeling, as if someone had closed a door behind her, as she entered the stand. She imagined it as the same type of magics that hid the aerie from outsiders.

Then came the next surprise. There were many more elves here, than she would have expected. It was wonderful. Dozens, either moving to and from cloth tents, or standing preparing weapons, or simply meditating silently on the ground. She passed by them all silently, but as she passed a hint of recognition passed between them. How seemed to no longer matter, but she was glad to see them. For it meant that the elves were not forgotten in this matter, and they had as much a vested interested as the humans did. So many, hidden within. The elder magic was certainly strong. Soon Ariel came upon the center of the wood, and there was a much larger tent here. She stopped, and watched as the flap opened, and Sellyria Starsinger, the Speaker of the Tiri Kitor, emerged. But the woman looked different now. The Speaker stood straighter, and her face seemed to shine. Ariel's earlier thoughts about the Tiri Kitor knowing of what had happened seemed to be truth to her now. As she stood before the Speaker, the woman's eyes seemed to twinkle, and her body less heavy.

Sellyria smiled, moving towards Ariel, arms open in welcome. "Corellon's Light, it is true! I thought it would be, but you return!"

Ariel returned the smile, heartfelt but someone curious at the Speakers choice of words. She gave the woman a nod, as her wings moved sweeping back. "I thank you Speaker, for your kind words. Yes, we have all returned. Our mission.." Ariel paused for a moment, before settling on the words she wanted to use. "was successful." Ariel looked around the woods, and then back at the Speaker.

"I saw your owls fly overhead, as we had just returned not too long ago. Has anything else happened, since last we met?" she asked. Before spotting the owls, Ariel had wanted nothing more than to find someplace to rest, and to think about what had happened. But now, all traces of tiredness seemed to have disappeared. Being in the company of so many elves, and the thrum of elder magics, was like being home. And right now, a part of her was thankful for this, no matter what circumstances had brought them together. Now was the time to live in the moment, and be thankful for what she had now. If circumstances were different, she probably would have broken into dance, just for the sheer release of energies. But for now, she was content to simply BE. If she could not fly, then this was the next best thing.

18. Rilwen_Shadowflame Force Ghost

star 6
    IC: Mazarun Zothyrr
    In the Cathedral of Lathander

Mazarun had stood, silent and thoughtful, as the others either left or turned their attention to the business at hand. He was a trifle reluctant to walk out alone into the city at present; of all the Company, he thought, he was at the most risk if exposed by some mischance. And where there were many nervous people, misfortune and mischance seemed often to breed and multiply.

His eyes narrowed a little as he watched Ulwai plead with Skadi. Could she be sincere? Contact with a demon was the sort of thing that tended to have people drastically reevaluating their life choices...

Skadi certainly seemed to believe the hobgoblin. Mazarun wasn't so sure.

He almost smiled. Perhaps Ulwai would be willing to cooperate now. And if so? Well, an ally who might or might not turn out to be treacherous after all was hardly a new thing for him. He'd be more or less in his element, and would treat her with the same wariness he would have used at home.

There was a strange unease, though, to seeing Ulwai break down thus. She'd been so imperious before... Now, here she was, professing some kind of hope for help from a human god. It was unsettling; not only had contact with the demon torn its way through Ulwai's thoughts, but its legacy was irrevocable change. Even change contrary to what the demon would have wished signified some influence; it had controlled her, and her altered behaviour in its wake meant its impact had been strong.

Could anything change him thus? The thought disturbed him.

Tag: Saint, Any

OOC: In magical terms, neither Skadi, William, or Zanaek have seen any indication that Ulwai's casting a spell
    Ditto for Maz?
    And I think this is right for Sense Motive?
  19. Saintheart Chosen One

star 6
    OOC: Rilwen: Fine by me -- I wasn't sure whether Mazarun was sticking around or not, so wasn't certain. But in any event, the Sense Motive check is good and reveals no duplicity on Ulwai's part. For great justice, Mazarun's detection of magic also doesn't reveal any aurae that would be consistent with a Glibness spell, which is what I'm assuming he'd be watching out for.
  20. Saintheart Chosen One

star 6
    OOC: Can I also say in passing, that's a lovely bit of introspection there, Rilwen. Very in-character and really spun off the Skadi/Ulwai scene nicely.

Ariel Elandinai

Sellyria had bowed her head at Ariel's words that their mission was successful, and a long sigh had escaped her. "Thank the Seldarine. When the sun rose yesterday, I felt it. I knew it. If the Tiri Kitor were not in the debt of the avariel for their judgment, we are in your people's debt for your deed alone. You have done more for my wro--my people than you could imagine."
    "Makisil tells me you felt the draw of this stand of woods," said a voice over her shoulder, and Ariel was unsurprised to see Illian Snowmantle, their cleric, moving out of the shadows to join them. "We, too, feel it now, as we have not felt such a connection in these lands for many of the humans' lives. Corellon bless you for your life, aehilasa faeriya."
    "This is where we sojourn while we wait for battle," said Sellyria. "In time past, it was where other elves waited, too. The muster of the Blackfens is complete, and the owls you saw bear some of the last wingriders and archers of our people to this city to aid in the defence of Brindol. We bring two hundred and fifty bows to bear against the shadow on ele'sir'ae channariya. The lord of this place, Kerden Jarmaath, has seen me. He has accepted our aid; it appears he is cognisant of the growing threat and is moving to prepare this city for war. But he is very young, and there is much worry on his mind -- he appears to be waiting for something, or someone. More than that I do not know."

21. Penguinator RPF Modinator and Batmanager

Manager
    star 6
    Ragnar Ingvarsson
    The streets of the Theatre District, Brindol, Elsir Vale

With a shrug, the barbarian dismissed Evelios' talk of war.

"People will run or fight, it matters little. And sadness can be soothed by your music." Ragnar glanced at the bard, thinking of something. "If you play sad songs, though, you stand on your own in a fight, friend or not."

In truth, Ragnar wanted to sit, to relax, to ignore the stresses of the world. As wonderful as the tragic sagas of his people could be, he wasn't willing to sit through hours of emotional singing and delicate musicality. A tavern, after all, was ideal for carousing and caterwauling one's joys for all to hear; he would not hear of any sadness while there was ale to be had and lovely lasses to be wooed.

And then another thought struck him.

"Ah! Yes. Business, my friend! You sing, I ensure you get paid. This is good?"

Tag: Ramza, Saint
  22. Saintheart Chosen One

star 6
    Ragnar Ingvarsson, Evelios D'Rtan

The Laughing Manticore, Noble Quarter, Brindol, Elsir Vale

The Laughing Manticore as it turned out, was a combination tavern and brewery, the taproom a long, thin slice of space above which was suspended an equally long platform, giving the place a shadowy mezzanine floor lit by several expensive-looking oil lamps. Off to one side were viewing platforms and windows which looked out onto the brewery's main floor as well, set into the ground somewhat. The place looked to cater for the more expensive sort of client looking at the quality of the glasses and wall ornaments, but it was boisterous - a sharp contrast to the streets of Brindol outside. And particularly boisterous and well-patroned given the early hours of the morning; indeed there looked to be several people with hangdog expressions determined to get drunk as soon as possible.

There was also a stage - set out at the furthest end of the mezzanine floor, where the acoustics from the arched roof would be best. Obviously someone had thought a little about travelling minstrels, or so it seemed; but that stage was empty, and the bartender, a dapper-looking Calishite, gladly gestured in the platform's direction when Evelios suggested playing. The terms of playing were straightforward enough; he could keep any tips he made, but beyond that the Manticore didn't pay. Given the audience in the place even at this hour, that wasn't an unfair set of terms.

On the other hand, it didn't take long for things to abruptly start downhill.

From somewhere in the audience, about three chords into the first song: "'Ere! What in Lathander's name are we doin' listenin' to a gods-damned Harper!"

TAG: ramza, Peng
    Sa'adi Adim, William Marshall, Mazarun Zothyrr

It was about half an hour later. Ulwai's tears had been dried away, and someone had fetched a chair for her and removed her bonds. They were still in the audience chamber. The former Wyrmlord was sitting straight, eyes ahead in a curiously blank stare that gave the semblance of consciousness without its substance. Menechem ws lowering the scroll he'd just read from, nodding to himself.
    "You're sure this spell won't harm her mind?" asked Zanaek with a glance at Skadi.
    "Not in the slightest, not in the way this one is cast," said Menechem. "In some applications it can rewrite a memory, but in this one we use it only to recover them. In some cases it reads the possessor's memories rather than those of the subject. Added to the hypnotice condition, we may learn much." He looked again at Ulwai; when he spoke again, his voice was gentle -- even gentler than it had been in the past half hour in his dealings with the hobgoblin, a consequence of Skadi's offering of protection and the hobgoblin declaring herself bar'ghazh erzhagh Maglubiyet uz Tiamat -- forsaker of Maglubiyet, the hobgoblin god, and Tiamat. "Saer Stormcaller, are you well?"
    "Yes," the hobgoblin replied, though her voice sounded slack and her gaze did not waver from straight ahead.
    Menechem nodded, then turned back to the four companios. "It might be best if you ask questions," said the Outcaster. "You've a longer association with her than I."

TAG: Livi, Rilwen, cassie/>
  23. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 6
    Evelios D'Rtan is a Master Troll, and Poe the Raven
    "I just ordered up a beer and sat down at the bar
    When some guy walked in and said, 'Who owns this car
    With the peace sign, the mag wheels and the four on the floor?'" - The Charlie Daniels Band

There is a universal law that dictates that wherever there is unrest in a drinking establishment, Evelios D'Rtan will be in its proximity.

Only about 30% of the time is it expressly his fault.

"I dunno," Evelios grumbled, well beneath his breath, "why am I listening to a jerk?" He didn't say jerk, but there are certain guidelines around these boards that we like to damn well follow - you know how it is. Then, at audible levels: "My good sir, I assure you that I am not, in fac..."

Poe looked at Evelios.

Evelios looked at Poe.

Poe looked at Evelios.

Evelios looked at Poe.

Poe looked at the man.

Evelios looked at the man.

Dr. Scott looked at Janet.

Evelios pulled out the drought of well-spoken lies, and consumed it.

"Forgive me, I do not like to drink strong liquor in public, but I... need it for strength."

He choked up.

"My good sir, you speak of a Harping dog. Here? In Brindol? I know your concern - Harpers are not to be trusted under any circumstances. You see..."

Another choke.

"You see... I once ran into one. The... the bastard was so tricky, and so quick, that he did no less than curse me to look like him unless I wore this -"

He pulled out his Bandanna of Disguise.

"This... hideous pink bandana! I had hoped... I had hoped he had not made his way down to Brindol. Always in his tracks I seem to find myself. Always."

He shed a single, manly tear.

"I didn't ask for this, sir. The constant ostracism. My own - my own wife won't look at me any more, because I either have to come to her bed as a -" He spat the floor for effect. "Filthy Harping scum, or wearing this!" He clenched the pink bandanna in his fist. "This... this blotch! This foul, coral stain upon my dignity! Men mark me for the bandana, men mark me for the Harping bastard I wear the face of... and all I want is to play the lute! TO ENTERTAIN, MY GOOD SIR!"

A second and third manly tear.

"And now I come before you and you would toss me back out on the streets where I have no home. No hope. No future. Hath not a bard eyes? Hath not a bard hands, organs, dimensions, senses, affections, passions; fed with the same food, hurt with the same weapons, subject to the same diseases, heal'd by the same means, warm'd and cool'd by the same winter and summer, as a tavern goer is? If you prick us, do we not bleed? If you tickle us, do we not laugh? If you poison us, do we not die? Please sir, I will... I will wear the bandana if you so wish, but..."

A pause. The words were too difficult to spit out.

"But let me play sir. Please sir. By all that is good on this planet."

TAG: Peng, Saint

OOC: Drink Potion of Glibness. Then Bluff check.:p

Deception: 1d20 (13) + 24 (Standard) + 30 (Glibness) = 67
  24. Ktala Force Ghost

star 6
    Ariel Elandinai

Ariel watched the emotions that seemed to pour through the Speaker. Sellyria had bowed her head, and then Ariel heard her sigh. "Thank the Seldarine. When the sun rose yesterday, I felt it. I knew it. If the Tiri Kitor were not in the debt of the Avariel for their judgment, we are in your people's debt for your deed alone. You have done more for my wro--my people than you could imagine." Again, the mention of her peoples past. Ariel wished she remembered a bit more, but she was happy to have been able in some small way to help. It was a comforting thought in a way. And when their cleric mentioned that the same feelings that she had felt that drew her to the woods, had also not been felt by any elves in a very long time, she was glad that the connection had been restored. She bowed her head at Illian's words. "In that, I am glad then. This place feels .. right." Ariel added softly. Ariel looked about once more, this time using the gift of the Winged Mother's sight, curiously around her. So, it was.. a waiting place. A place of gathering. As many other elves in times past have also waited. Powerful, old magics indeed. Was that perhaps some of the reasons that the horde, and its Wyrm mistress were so interested in this area? The Speaker confirmed the significance of the area, and added that they had brought two hundred and fifty warriors into the glade. Ariel nodded, listening quietly. They were warriors. They have lived their life in a very inhospitable area. For them to bring so many said much. Ariel would wait with them for abit, before she moved on. It just simply - felt right.

The Speaker continued, "The lord of this place, Kerden Jarmaath, has seen me. He has accepted our aid; it appears he is cognisant of the growing threat and is moving to prepare this city for war. But he is very young, and there is much worry on his mind -- he appears to be waiting for something, or someone. More than that I do not know."

Ariel frowned at that last bit of news. At last he seemed aware of the problem, which was better than some people. And she could understand, him being worried. But, waiting? At last this Kerden Harmaath had seen them. As far as she knew, Skadi did not get that far last time. She would need to speak to the others soon. But right now, that could wait. Ariel looked to the Cleric and then the Speaker.

"I thank you for the knowledge. And I will tell the others as well. But I have something else I wish to speak on.. something that happened afterwards. As I am not versed in such things, I would like to ask of it, if I may, privately. I am not sure if it means anything, but I would be honored for your thoughts." Ariel replied, as she flapped her wings slightly, and then folded them around her.

25. Saintheart Chosen One

star 6
    OOC: In other news, guys, note the header: TFN is shifting on March 21, so ensure you have an updated e-mail address or be locked out.

In terms of what we might be doing on the temp boards, I don't have anything planned as such, but I'd certainly be happy to chat with all you guys, so I'll have a thread somewhere in there as the Tide of Flames Etherverse to tide (haha) us over.

Ragnar Ingvarsson, Evelios D'Rtan

The Laughing Manticore, Noble Quarter, Brindol, Elsir Vale

"Don't you dare speak such lies!" another voice called from the crowd, and, in one of those situations where an entire room of people can actually speak an unworded Huh?, the voice's owner was suddenly apparent: a somewhat less-prosperous-looking merchant who had haunted eyes and gaunt cheeks struggled to the front of the room. He pointed an accusing finger at Evelios. "The bard whose face you say you wear was a good man! A hero! All of us out of Drellin's Ferry would be dead now if it wasn' for him and his friends! No way he could be a Harper, and you're a bloody liar for saying so!"
    "Ye dog!" snarled the owner of the original voice. "Don't you call me a liar!"

There were, perhaps, a good ten seconds left before the room was due for extensive remodelling, and the makeover crew was about to get started. Quite possibly with Evelios.

TAG: Peng, ramza
    Ariel Elandinai

Sellyria looked at Illian, and the cleric turned wordlessly to those few elves within earshot. In a matter of moments, there was complete silence, and Sellyira and Ariel were alone together.
    "What happened?" asked Sellyria.

/>
Moderators: Penguinator, Ramza