Fantasy A Tide of Flames: a d20 Dungeons & Dragons adventure

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Saintheart, Feb 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Penguinator, Ramza
  1. LightWarden Jedi Master

    Member Since:
    Oct 11, 2001
    star 4
    You lose Chondothan and get either a scroll of Knock and a scroll of Invisibility or a Masterwork longsword or masterwork longbow. In the long run, it's not going to matter.
    Saintheart likes this.
  2. Saintheart Jedi Grand Master

    Member Since:
    Dec 16, 2000
    star 6
    Nice crew, boys and girls. Can't wait 'til Prenn gets the chance to add Weapon Finesse to his feats ... fists count as light weapons too. :)

    EDIT: So when do we start? Within the next 12 hours. I've got the opening set to go; I just need to get back to a work machine to access it. :D
  3. Yuul_Shamar Jedi Master

    Member Since:
    Nov 3, 2004
    star 4
    So what region would you recomend?
    Saintheart likes this.
  4. LightWarden Jedi Master

    Member Since:
    Oct 11, 2001
    star 4
    Probably Evereska or Silverymoon.

    In other news, I can't read a map properly, having confused the Sea of Falling Stars (the inner sea up in the north/center area) with the Shining Sea (down in the southwest near Calisham). Oh well. That said, I do know where the game is taking place on a map, so there.

    Also, if some of you guys want to link backstories via friendship or something, that's more than welcome. Because teamwork is everything in this game.

    [image=http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/ros_gallery/83327.jpg]
    Saintheart likes this.
  5. LightWarden Jedi Master

    Member Since:
    Oct 11, 2001
    star 4
    Hey Saint, check it out. Seems as though the 4th edition idea of "points of light" is kind of at odds with the Forgotten Realms idea of "every village has a level 17 character defending it". And since Bane is confirmed as a Deity in the vanilla 4e PHB, that means he's probably going to really shake things up.

    Needless to say folks, in this game, we're not doing the traditional Forgotten Realms shtick of high level NPCs every where you look. This is so your actions actually matter, and it's your fight to win or lose.
    Saintheart likes this.
  6. Yuul_Shamar Jedi Master

    Member Since:
    Nov 3, 2004
    star 4
    Ok so whats evereska's bonuses?
    Saintheart likes this.
  7. LightWarden Jedi Master

    Member Since:
    Oct 11, 2001
    star 4
    This? This is a bad way to make a character. Building a character background based on the one that gives you the bonuses you like is not a brilliant idea. Pick the ones that fit your concept. If your concept happens to give you a neat item, cool. If not, don't be a twit.

    Evereska:
    Automatic Languages: Elven, Chondathan
    Bonus Languages: Choose from- Auran, Draconic, Goblin, Giant, Illuskan, or Orc
    Bonus Equipment: Wand of Color Spray, Caster Level 1st, 20 charges

    Silverymoon:
    Automatic Languages: Elven, Illuskan
    Bonus Languages: Choose from- Chondathan, Dwarven, Giant, Orc, or Sylvan
    Bonus Equipment: Masterwork longsword or masterwork rapier (elves are automatically proficient with longswords and rapiers)

    I vote Silverymoon, because Evereska is a very aloof place that no one but a few elves go to, and Silverymoon is parked right in the middle of the forests, fitting your character. It would also make you the third member from Silverymoon, along with Corrath and Thorbald
    Saintheart likes this.
  8. Saintheart Jedi Grand Master

    Member Since:
    Dec 16, 2000
    star 6
    Seems as though the 4th edition idea of "points of light" is kind of at odds with the Forgotten Realms idea of "every village has a level 17 character defending it".

    *groan* Spellplague? Did they really have no other way to sell 4th edition Forgotten Realms books than the old "blow up the world" approach again? Besides, doesn't picking on an entire class like that sound familiar?

    Oh, well, as long as half-elves aren't made Emo and as long as they don't turn halflings into something a lot more annoying, I'll be content. :D

    Oh, yeah--I almost forgot. The adventure begins in my next post!

  9. Saintheart Jedi Grand Master

    Member Since:
    Dec 16, 2000
    star 6
    The dry hilltops danced with fire.

    Throughout the heart of the wild badlands the humans called the Wyrmsmokes, great bonfires had been kindled atop the ridges overlooking Elsir Vale. There thousands of warriors had gathered -- hobgoblins in armor dyed scarlet, thick-thewed bugbear berserkers, goblin worg riders and skirmishers and archers, and the scaled ones as well, who often towered over the rest. For so long they had fought each other, tribe against tribe, race against race, engaged in the endless test of battle, feud, and betrayal. But tonight . . . tonight they stood together, hated enemies shoulder-to-shoulder, shouting together as brothers. And they saw that they were strong, and together they danced and sang and shook their blades at the smoke-hidden stars overhead.

    "We are the Kulkor Zhul!" they shouted, and the hills shook with the thunder of their voices. "We are the People of the Dragon! Uighulth na Hargai! None can stand before us!"

    One by one the tribes fell silent. Armor creaked as thousands turned to look up to the Place of Speaking. There, a single champion emerged from the assemblage and slowly climbed the ancient stone stair cut into the side of the hill. A hundred bright yellow banners stood beneath him like a phalanx of spears, each marked with a great red hand. The warpriests holding the banners chanted battle-prayers in low voices as the champion ascended.

    On the hundredth step he stopped and turned to face the waiting warriors. He was tall and strong, one of the hobgoblin chieftains, but dull blue scales gleamed along his shoulders, and jutting horns swept back from his head. "I am Azarr Kul, Son of the Dragon!" he cried. "Hear me, warriors of the Kulkor Zhul! Tomorrow we march to war!"

    The warriors roared their approval, stamping their feet and clashing spear to shield. Azarr Kul waited, holding his hands aloft until they quieted again. "The warpriests of the Doom Hand have shown us the way! They have taught us honor, discipline, obedience -- and strength! No more will we waste our blood fighting each other. We will take the lands of the elf, the dwarf, and the human, and make them ours! Under the banner of the Red Hand of Doom we march to victory and conquest! Remember that you stood here this night, warriors of Kulkor Zhul! For a hundred generations your sons and your sons' sons will sing of the blood spilled by your swords and the glory you win in the nights to come! Now, my brothers -- to WAR!"

    The burning hills were too small to hold the shout the Kulkor Zhul gave in answer to their warlord's call.



    But let's start at the beginning...

    Prologue: A Glimpse of Rain

    Alqidar's Crossing,
    Amn, Southern Faerun
    The Fourteenth of Mirtul, Year of the Shadowless Man
    (One year ago)


    The hamlet was about forty miles from the southeastern border of the land of Amn. Here, yellow tallgrasses and various wheats predominated across the moor-swept landscape, with a smell of dust in the air and the ever-present low moan of the winds sweeping across the moors.

    Alqidar?s Crossing was an unremarkable waystation on the road to Tethyr, hosting a population of about sixty. As night crept in, the hamlet quietened; farm cats slunk across the street in the full moonlight. The sweaty work of agriculture came to a halt, giving way to the hum of conversation and clinking clay jugs in the lantern-lit Dragon?s Horn Inn, a two-storey stone structure on the western edge of the hamlet.

    The inn had functioned for the better part of forty years as a stop for caravans on the road between Tethyr and Amn; farmers sometimes sold vegetables to passing travelers in the street outside. The rationale behind its name was long forgotten, but the beds were reasonable, the food not bad, and the beer strong enough to get the weary traveler drunk for a low price. It was therefore quite popular with adventurers and mercenaries in this part of the world.

    On this night it seemed much the same. Business for the Horn was relatively busy, with most of th
  10. Tog Jedi Youngling

    Member Since:
    Jan 19, 2007
    star 2
    Radok Keghammer - Dragon?s Horn Inn

    The loudest member of all assembled drank the ale out of his mug with no manners at all. He gulped, he slurped, he spilled the foamy liquid on his fire-red beard, and worst of all... he belched. The dwarf laughed loudly every time he did, a truly rude creature to all around him. " 'Ey Barkeep! Another drink!" Rodak roared. With a grunt, the tavern owner refilled the dwarf?s mug. Radok cheered in approval and took another long drink.
    He belched again and looked at the halfling sitting next to him, he nudged the halfling. ?Ah. C?mon halflin?.. Play a drinkin? game! Radok roared before noticing the light outside. ?It dawn already??

    Tag: DM, Simwar, all others in the tavern.

    Saintheart likes this.
  11. Saintheart Jedi Grand Master

    Member Since:
    Dec 16, 2000
    star 6
    DM ;) OOC: Perhaps I should've made an OOC making this clear, but I already rolled Spot checks for each of you to see the glow out the windows. As you will intuit from my text, only Ktala and Yuul_Shamar's characters succeeded on that roll.
  12. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Jedi Grand Master

    Member Since:
    Jul 1, 2000
    star 6
    Zanaek Grahorn

    Dragon's Horn Inn

    Grahorn nursed a lite ale from his table near the fireplace, keeping to himself while he read quietly from a small book retelling the moral stories and heroic deeds of his god, Torm. He would have read longer if it hadn't been for the raucous behavior of a seemingly drunken dwarf at another nearby table. If there had been more people to add to the stout man's behavior, he might have drowned him out with the white noise a crowd could make in a tavern.

    "'Ey Barkeep! Another drink!" roared the dwarf and Zanaek sighed. "Ah. C'mon halflin'... Play a drink' game! It dawn already?" The cleric closed his book and looked up and across the room at the dwarf.

    "No. That is torchlight you are staring at my friend," Zanaek answered him kindly despite feeling annoyed at having his reading interrupted.


    TAG: Tog, Others, DM

    There, that should fix that, no?
    Saintheart likes this.
  13. Yuul_Shamar Jedi Master

    Member Since:
    Nov 3, 2004
    star 4
    OOC: Your right lightwarden, I'm just a bit unused to the setting. I'll go with Silverymoon and if you wouldn't mind could you pick from the stuff for me what you think fits him best? I would assume the rapier but whatever.
    IC: Celbrandir Silverwind

    Celbrandir's eyes narrowed on the horizon. "There's fire on the horizon!", he exclaimed almost before he relized it. His head turned with an inquiring glance at the barkeep, looking for an explanation that the barkeep likely didn't have. He then turned back, attempting to try and pick out any more sights along the red glow.

    Tag: all in bar
    ---------
    OOC: If i do this wrong let me know
    Spot Check: 11+7?=18
    Saintheart likes this.
  14. Saintheart Jedi Grand Master

    Member Since:
    Dec 16, 2000
    star 6
    DM OOC: Yuul_Shamar: If you want to roll your own checks, that's fine, Yuul, but I already rolled a Spot check in secret for you just to get us off to a running start -- and you succeeded. Hence the fact you were able to see the fire from the start. Hang in there, you're doing fine :)

    IC - The Bartender

    Dragon Horn Inn

    The bartender squinted suspiciously at the elf who'd spoken, but the robed man at the window didn't seem to be lying about his words. Even so, Togian was a careful fellow, and he picked up a stout cudgel from behind the bar and moved around from behind the bar towards the window, peering out into the darkness. As he did, he kept glancing back in the direction of the halfling and the dwarf sitting at the bar, trying to make sure they didn't steal any of the night's takings or more of his ale.

    His eyes widened, and when he spoke his voice had clearly shifted to concern. Small isolated hamlets were like families, and the people in them tried to look out for each other, whether it was the innkeeper in town, the small-time merchants, or the farmers. "That looks like the Mossgarde place. Vitrus Mossgarde's about the only farmer who lives out in that direction." The bartender shifted away from the window, looked across the room at its occupants. "All right, everyone out. We're closing. Gods know who I'll be able to wake up this time of night, but I'm not going to leave you all to drink my bar dry while I do it."

    TAG: All players
  15. LightWarden Jedi Master

    Member Since:
    Oct 11, 2001
    star 4
    OOG: Right then, Silverymoon it is. Might as well hand you a longsword, because longswords are fun and you can share with the people who protect your sorry behind. Or you can get a rapier, either way.

    And for those of you rolling at home, please be sure to tell us what character name you rolled for, and feel free to post the link to the the site like so[/i]
    Saintheart likes this.
  16. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Jedi Grand Master

    Member Since:
    Jul 1, 2000
    star 6
    Zanaek Grahorn

    Dragon's Horn Inn

    Zanaek walked over to where the barkeep stood and glanced out the window at the red glow on the horizon. "Dousing a fire of that size will be long and tedious work. Perhaps I or the others could provide assistance by waking others or helping this farmer before it can spread to any crops?"


    TAG: Everyone, DM


    I'm assuming that now that it has been pointed out we all notice it?
    Saintheart likes this.
  17. Saintheart Jedi Grand Master

    Member Since:
    Dec 16, 2000
    star 6
    DM OOC: Correct. I'm not requiring Spot checks twice since now it's all out in the open, so to speak.

    IC - The bartender

    Dragon Horn Inn

    For a second or two, as Togian turned to address the man who'd spoken, he was about to make a remark such as Leave this to us or Why would you want to help us. Then he spotted Torm's symbol emblazoned across Zanaek's tabard. Odd that he hadn't noticed it before. The bartender's expression softened as he looked at the warrior-priest. Torm's church was well-known for its altruism.
    "I don't really think I could get anyone up this time of night anyway," said Togian gruffly. "It'd be a kindness if you could head over there to see what's going on, master cleric. Not that Vitrus's got much in the way of crops to burn, but truth be told I'm sure he'd prefer to have an extra pair of hands to fight any fire that's there."

    TAG: Mitth, everyone else
  18. Yuul_Shamar Jedi Master

    Member Since:
    Nov 3, 2004
    star 4
    OOC: I'm a bit confused by what you said regarding the dice rolls Lightwarden, I have my own if thats what you asking. Very well I'll go with the longsword I suppose.
    IC: Celbrandir Silverwind

    Celbrandir nodded to the bartender before moving to the door, looking to see if anyone else would be coming to assist the farmer that suposedly lived where the fire was at. Regardless after a second or two he heads out in the direction of the fire's glow.

    If any others also head out to help he keeps pace with them and tries to stay with them, best not to get sepperated outside of town at night after all.

    Tag: All in bar.
    Saintheart likes this.
  19. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Jedi Grand Master

    Member Since:
    Jul 1, 2000
    star 6
    I should be doing my essays, heh.

    Zanaek Grahorn

    Dragon's Horn Inn

    "It would be my pleasure to help," Zanaek replied with a kind smile before his expression grew serious and he glanced at the others. The elf that had warned the others of the fire had already left and he did not know if he was going to go aid the farmer or just simply retire for the night.

    "If any of you wish to help knowing that the only reward you may receive is the feeling of having done a good deed for another being of Faerun then join me outside," he said to them. "But if you do not wish to then I understand and will not grudge you over your choice." With that said he gathered his gear quickly and stepped outside of the inn.


    TAG: DM, Others

    Charisma Check: 1d20+3 = 17

    Saintheart likes this.
  20. Yuul_Shamar Jedi Master

    Member Since:
    Nov 3, 2004
    star 4
    IC: Celbrandir Silverwind

    Celbrandir had only gone a few steps when another of the tavern's patrons stepped out of the tavern.

    "Will you also be investigating what is going on or are you just leaving?"

    Tag:Zanaek, others
    Saintheart likes this.
  21. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Jedi Grand Master

    Member Since:
    Jul 1, 2000
    star 6
    Zanaek Grahorn

    Outside of Dragon's Horn Inn

    "Of course I am investigating," Zanaek replied and quirked a curious brow at the elf for asking such a question after he had offered his help to the barkeep moments before. "I would like to thank you, sir, for offering your services to this village."

    He then offers a gloved hand to the elf; "I am Zanaek Grahorn, cleric of Torm."


    TAG: Yuul
    Saintheart likes this.
  22. Yuul_Shamar Jedi Master

    Member Since:
    Nov 3, 2004
    star 4
    IC: Celbrandir Silverwind

    Celbrandir takes the offered hand, shaking it briefly before replying, "And I am Celbrandir Silverwind, traveler and mage of a sorts." He takes a look over his shoulder at the glow in the distance before saying, "May I suggest we start making our way towards this seeming inferno? The others can surely follow behind if they are intent on lending aid as well."

    Tag: Zanaek, others

    Saintheart likes this.
  23. Ktala Jedi Grand Master

    Member Since:
    Sep 7, 2002
    star 6
    Ariel Elandinai
    Dragon's Horn Inn

    Ariel normally kept her wings hidden, when travelling, but this was such a small place, and she was rather tired of having to hide them. She had travelled a good distance before finding this place, and right now, she found that she shared it with others. The elves, she was familiar with, but she found herself facinated at the other beings she had noted. The loud noisy one drinking, was a dwarf...she had never seen a dwarf up close before, so she was facinated. Another short being...halifng was it? sat at a table along with some others.

    Two other elves, she noticed, appeared to stand as she had, in another part of the room. As she gently moved her wings, she noticed one of the elves interest outside. She turned her eyes, noticing a glow on the horizon.

    "There's fire on the horizon!", the elf exclaimed, causing the others to notice. The bartender also took notice, and was about to throw them all out, until another person, this one in robes spoke up.

    "Dousing a fire of that size will be long and tedious work. Perhaps I or the others could provide assistance by waking others or helping this farmer before it can spread to any crops?"

    Ariel turned, her interest wondering who he ment by...'the others'. The bartender looked ready to refuse him, until he gave the man a curious look. Some symbol that the man was wearing seemed to have caught his eyes, for the bartender's expression softened.

    "I don't really think I could get anyone up this time of night anyway," the bartender said gruffly. "It'd be a kindness if you could head over there to see what's going on, master cleric. Not that Vitrus's got much in the way of crops to burn, but truth be told I'm sure he'd prefer to have an extra pair of hands to fight any fire that's there."

    Cleric? Ariel now was curious indeed. The elf who had spoke up about the fire, was already heading for the door. She looked back out over the horizon. A fire that size would be nasty. She weighed her options. The bartender would probably kick them out. Why make an enemy she didnt need. And it did seem that at least some of thse folks were willing to go check it out. Ariel stepped out from where she had been warming herself.

    That was when the cleric spoke up. "If any of you wish to help knowing that the only reward you may receive is the feeling of having done a good deed for another being of Faerun then join me outside," he said to them. "But if you do not wish to then I understand and will not grudge you over your choice." With that said he gathered his gear quickly and stepped outside of the inn.

    Without a word, Ariel quietly followed them outside. Once outside, she spoke in a soft voice.

    "Perhaps....I can help? I can at least, tell you how large and how far the fire is, from a better viewpoint." Ariel fluttered her wings softly as she waited for a reply. Any reason to fly, was always a good one. How did these folks manage it?


    TAG:
    Yuul, Mitth, anyone else

    Saintheart likes this.
  24. Saintheart Jedi Grand Master

    Member Since:
    Dec 16, 2000
    star 6
    DM OOC: Ordinarily Mitth doesn't have to make Charisma checks against PCs - that's more reserved for influencing non-player characters.

    However, if anyone really wants to make a Will saving throw -- that is, roll 1d20 and add the modifier listed under "Will" for your character's saves -- against Mitth's little speech with 17 the number to beat, and then react to the results, that's fine by me.

    If you fail, you're inspired by his words and join him on the strength of them. Of course, if you then succeed on the Will saving throw, that means you're unmoved by his words and would probably need some other motivation to accompany him to the farm. :D
  25. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Jedi Grand Master

    Member Since:
    Jul 1, 2000
    star 6
    Zanaek Grahorn

    Outside Dragon's Inn Tooth

    Zanaek nods in agreement, "You go on ahead on foot and see what you can do. I'll stay behind a minute longer to see if any of the others are willing to help." Just then a winged elf steps out of the tavern and offers to investigate by flying above them and the cleric grins, pleased. "That would be most helpful. Thank you, miss?"


    TAG: Ktala, Yuul

    Saintheart likes this.
Moderators: Penguinator, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.