1. Oh hai Guest!

    Welcome to the RPF!

Fantasy A Tide of Flames: a d20 Dungeons & Dragons adventure

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Saintheart, Feb 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Penguinator, Ramza
  1. Yuul_Shamar Force Ghost

    Member Since:
    Nov 3, 2004
    star 4
    IC: Celbrandir Silverwind

    Celbrandir nods to the cleric and hurries off at a run towards the blazing horizon to find out what was happening and to try and do what he could to help while waiting for the others to arrive once he got there.

    Tag: others
    Saintheart likes this.
  2. DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus

    Member Since:
    Sep 12, 2002
    star 6
    IC: Corrath Marktos

    Dragon's Horn Inn

    Corrath drank another swallow of the local brew, vaguely wondering what exactly it had been made of. It was strong and cheap, but that was about everything good that could be said about it - it tasted like, well, like she didn't really want another mug, to say the least. She studiously ignored the loud dwarf in the far corner who was making a fool of himself. So were the rest of the patrons, for the most part, save a kindly cleric.

    On her side of the tavern sat a pair of elves. One of the elves had wings growing out of her back, and Corrath was discreetly studying them with interest. Could she actually fly with them? How far?

    Just then, the other elf sitting by the window exclaimed, "There's fire on the horizon!"

    Seriously? Corrath turned and craned her neck and squinted out the window. The bartender came around the bar and had a look as well. Yes, there was indeed a reddish glow out the window ... and the bartender evidently agreed with the assessment of fire, for the next thing he did was to announce that he was closing the bar and throw them out.

    He changed his mind after a short exchange with the cleric, though, and gruffly said he'd welcome any assistance. "If any of you wish to help knowing that the only reward you may receive is the feeling of having done a good deed for another being of Faerun then join me outside," the cleric added.

    What the heck, Corrath thought, draining her glass. It wasn't like she had anything better to do, and at the very least, this would be interesting. In one smooth motion, she stood, scooped up her backpack, and made her way out the door.

    Outside, the same cleric seemed to have taken it upon himself to organize the firefighting party. "You go on ahead on foot and see what you can do. I'll stay behind a minute longer to see if any of the others are willing to help," he was saying to the robed elf as Corrath stepped out. To the winged elf that just offered to fly ahead, he grinned and said, "That would be most helpful. Thank you, miss?"

    So she could fly... Corrath filed away this piece of information for future reference.

    "I'll come along as well," the half-elf said, shouldering her backpack.

    TAG: Mitthy, Ktala, Yuul

    For kicks, my Will check was ... 6. :(
    Saintheart likes this.
  3. Ktala Force Ghost

    Member Since:
    Sep 7, 2002
    star 6
    Ariel Elandinai (Arrowbreeze)
    Outside the Dragon's Horn Inn

    Ariel offered her assistance in getting a view on what was going on. The Cleric spoke to the first elf out the door. "You go on ahead on foot and see what you can do. I'll stay behind a minute longer to see if any of the others are willing to help."

    The cleric grins, pleased. "That would be most helpful. Thank you, miss?"

    Ariel gave a nod as she drew her wings close to her body. "You may call me Ariel, Cleric." she said softly, as the first elf starts running down the road. He planned to run? Another spoke up, offering to come along as well. A female elf. Or perhaps even half elven.

    With a nod, she stepped back, and expanded her wings to full width. She could not help but smile, as with a powerful sweep of her wings, she was airborne once more. She gave one graceful sweeping circle above the Inn, and then, homing in on the fiery horizon, she took off seeking the source of the flames.

    As she flew high above the area in silence, she kept an eye on the elf who was already on the road as well. From up here, she could see practically everything. She enjoyed the peace and quiet, and using her senses, she scanned the surrounding area.







    TAG: Yuul, Mitth, Xan, anyone else
    Saintheart likes this.
  4. Tog Jedi Knight

    Member Since:
    Jan 19, 2007
    star 2
    Radok Keghammer - Dragon's Horn Inn

    The Dwarf listened to the chatter and then slammed his mug on the table, spilling a few drops of the ale onto the table. With his dwarf laugh 'Bwhahaha' he grabbed BloodReak, his wonderful two-handed ax. BloodReak was a typical Damaran Dwarf ax, a tough wooden handle that had cloth hand grips wrapped around in. The head had only one blade, with a flat hammer-like on the other side. He started to walk to the group, then he stopped and walked back to his mug to finish his drink. He drained it in one gulp and finished with a large belch. "I aint one to let me favorite bartender to go off an' fight flames alone!" The dwarf said, which was odd seeing how this was his first visit to this tavern. "Ya won't be going alone out tere tonight lads!"This group was unlucky that the dwarf was drunk enough to do this for free.

    Tag: DM, others
    Saintheart likes this.
  5. Saintheart Chosen One

    Member Since:
    Dec 16, 2000
    star 6
    DM OOC: The rules on movement are probably useful here.

    Your speed, in miles per hour, is your move/10. Thus Celbrandir, with a move of 30 ft, can walk at 3 miles per hour without pushing himself at all. If you're all walking together, you walk at your slowest party member's speed, which in your case is 20 ft. Thus you move at 2 miles per hour.

    You can go faster -- a "hustle" -- which extends your speed to double what it was. Thus Celbrandir could "hustle" his movement to 60 feet, and thus move at 6 mph. You can't hustle for more than one hour at a time without getting fatigued, which gives you a -2 to Strength and Dexterity.

    You can all-out run, which extends your speed to triple what it was if you're in heavy armour, and quadruple your speed if you're in anything less. But you can only run all-out for a minute or so. Thus Celbrandir can certainly raise his speed to 120 feet, or 12 miles per hour, but he can't do it for more than a minute or so. Running and resting in cycles is the equivalent of a hustle.

    Ktala, if Light didn't already let you know the rules for flying, we'll go through them in due course. I'll interpret you as taking an altitude of about 200 feet off the ground unless you want otherwise. The results of your looking around and using your senses as Listen and Spot checks with elven low-light vision as follows:

    Ariel Elandinai

    Above the countryside

    It was a perfect night for flying: not a cloud in the sky, and the full moon was casting its silvery sheen across the moors of Alqidar's Crossing. The aberration in this tranquil scene, of course, was the beacon of flame on the horizon.

    From this distance it was impossible to see any detail other than that the flaming aura on the horizon was indeed a single structure burning rather than a sweep of flame across croplands. As to that distance: Ariel was no stranger to estimating distances in the air, and concluded quickly that whatever building was burning lay about two miles from Alqidar's Crossing. It would take her about half an hour at her present cruising glide to reach that location, or a frighteningly quick fifteen minutes if she chose to push herself and fly faster.

    TAG: Ktala, everyone

    DM OOC: Tog: I need you to make a Fortitude saving throw seeing as your dwarf is tipsy, sozzled, in his cups, ratfaced... :D
  6. SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Grand Master

    Member Since:
    Apr 9, 2005
    star 5
    (ooc: Can we assume I have some basic adventuring equipment like a bedroll and maybe a torch or two, even though I left it off my sheet? Also, that Masterwork Armor I can get for being from Amn? Also, as long as I've got the skills, I'd like some rope. Charlie Branson's always got rope...)

    (ooc2: Do I really have to make a Cha check against that? He explicitly stated the unlikelihood of monetary reward. Shouldn't my money-grubbing Halfling get like an automatic Natural 20 on a roll to see if some poor sap can convince him to be altruistic? Crap...16-1=15. Can't believe I have to RP being swayed by...that)

    IC: Simwar Saddlebrook
    Dragon's Horn, Alqidar's Crossing

    Simwar lounged in the Inn. It wasn't exactly his kind of place, but given his limited (by his view) funds, he couldn't exactly afford his kind of place -the kind where you could trade rare relics found on quests for drinks at a 1:1 ratio, ensuring that only the wealthiest riff-raff got in.

    He happily would've joined the dwarf in a drinking game too, assuming the dwarf was paying, when the evening was interrupted by events outside. He tried his best to ignore the conversation, but when his mug ran dry and the barkeep was obviously not willing to refill, he got interested.

    Well, actually, he was interested in the people heading out to survey the scene. These weren't just your easily conned villagers. These were a special breed of people. Clerics, warriors...these were the makings of a party if Simwar had ever seen one.

    Simwar had studied enough in the taverns of Amn and heard enough stories to know that the Fates would soon be conspiring to unite these people in a long, perilous journey filled with more wealth than they could imagine. Simwar would be there to gather the wealth their puny minds simply could not handle.

    "If any of you wish to help knowing that the only reward you may receive is the feeling of having done a good deed for another being of Faerun then join me outside, but if you do not wish to then I understand and will not grudge you over your choice."

    "Not so fast," Simwar chased after him, "I don't know what I can do about the fire, but I can...." Simwar was not very sure what he could offer these people. A burning farm did not automatically announce enemies to be felled, and he had a bad feeling about his potential success for lying to them. "Well, I'm reasonably handy with a rope, and you never know when that will come in handy. Nonetheless, I'm coming with you."

    Tag: DM, the group

    (ooc3: As long as I brought it up in my IC post, and it seems like it wouldn't be something my character would shy away from, what're the rules on lying in D&D? Do I roll for Cha or my Wis modifier or something? Or do I just hope someone else fails their roll for Detect Motive?)
    Saintheart likes this.
  7. Saintheart Chosen One

    Member Since:
    Dec 16, 2000
    star 6
    DM OOC: SephyCloneNo15: In answer to each of those --

    (1) Yes, you can. Specify it and you've got it, within reason. But once you leave the village, you're on your own, so to speak. :)

    (2) No, you don't; that was purely an option if people wanted the fun of working in with roleplaying results. As it is I would've given you a +2 because your character's evil.

    (3) You'd roll your "Bluff" skill, which would be 1d20+1. Because you're untrained in it and your level is 1, the modifier at present is +1: level/2 + [Cha] modifier. If someone really wanted to roleplay that they didn't trust you, they'd then roll for their "Sense Motive" (which nobody has and which therefore wouldn't be at high modifiers anyway), and I'd give you some modifiers to that result because they don't know you from a bar of Amnian soap and thus aren't quite as tuned in to you. However, as I say, these aspects ought to be roleplayed more than rolled when you're dealing with other players: generally skill rolls are meant to be applied to non-player characters.
  8. Yuul_Shamar Force Ghost

    Member Since:
    Nov 3, 2004
    star 4
    OOC: Given the posted item about speeeds Celbrandir started at a run and slowed to a hustle.
    Saintheart likes this.
  9. Ktala Force Ghost

    Member Since:
    Sep 7, 2002
    star 6
    Ariel Elandinai
    Above the countryside

    It was a perfect night for flying: not a cloud in the sky, and the full moon was casting its silvery sheen across the moors of Alqidar's Crossing. Ariel swooped through the skies, enjoying the sensation. If it was not for the flame on the horizon, it would be perfect.

    As much as Ariel enjoyed flying, she kept her mind on the task at hand. It was strange, that only a single structure was burning, instead of say, crops. Perhaps it was the farmer's house or barn? If that was the case, the he would need help quickly. The area was about two miles from Alqidar's Crossing. She wished she had a way to ask the bartender a question, but since she didnt, she looked back towards the directions of the flames.


    If it took her about half an hour while she was gliding, the others would take far too long. The place would burn down by then. She could reach it, in even less time, if she hurried. She looked back at the others leaving the tavern now. Should she go back, and tell them, or hurry ahead? Wait. One elf had left ahead of the others. Tucking her wings in, she fell in a swift swooping pattern, diving in towards the elf who had run ahead. When she got close enough, that he should be able to hear her, she called out.

    "2 miles away. I fly ahead."

    With that done, she pulled up from her steep dive, and then took off at her fastest speed towards the fires. She flew high, so that she could get a better view of things, and also so she would not present a target from some excited farmer who might try to take out his misfortune on her.

    She kept her senses open, as she speed forth to find the source of the problem.

    TAG:Yuul, anyone else
    Saintheart likes this.
  10. Yuul_Shamar Force Ghost

    Member Since:
    Nov 3, 2004
    star 4
    IC: Celbrandir Silverwind

    As he ran ahead he heard a voice call out, and looked up to see the winged elf over him. He nodded to her in acknowledgement before continuing forward, hopefully he could cover the two miles quickly enough.

    Tag
    Saintheart likes this.
  11. Saintheart Chosen One

    Member Since:
    Dec 16, 2000
    star 6
    DM OOC: Okay, here it gets a little more complex since Ariel's alone right now, and is at least a good twenty minutes or more ahead of the rest of the group. Anyone reading this should bear that in mind, and make sure we don't see any examples of incidental "telepathy" here.

    For the elves and half-elves in the party: you've all got low-light vision. On a cloudless moonlit night like tonight, that means you see as if it were daylight. Go team.

    Ktala, I've made the relevant Spot checks for you up to this point.

    Ariel Elandinai

    Above the countryside

    Over the next ten to fifteen minutes, Ariel's concerns about stray farmers shooting at her proved to be unfounded; as the bartender had said, there was no other farm out this way and no other farmhouse in this direction was in the path of her flight. Not to mention the fact that, with her particular abilities, moonlight might as well have been daylight, as compared to the hypothetical archer who would have to deal with darkness and the 200-foot altitude she'd chosen to fly at.

    The details of the fire became clearer as the miles evaporated under her wings. As she drew closer to the fire, she could see much more clearly the situation. Five hundred feet ahead was a small farm complex of a kind: a farmhouse, a barn, a grazing field of some kind and a wheat field were centred around an open, dirt-covered square of ground about fifty feet across. The farmhouse, a squat, stone single-storey structure, was on the eastern side of that square, while the large, wooden two-storey barn was on the western side. The grazing field was to the north side, and the wheat field to the south. A line of trees straggled off behind the farmhouse down towards the wheat field.

    As she drew closer, to the four hundred foot mark, two things became clear.

    First, it was indeed a single structure that was on fire: the barn, and the fire had taken a firm hold on the structure. The flames leapt hungrily up from the windows and doors, a long plume of smoke drifting up into the windless night. There was no way the barn could now be saved, that much was certain.

    Second, something was very wrong.

    As she closed on the three hundred foot mark, the first thing she spotted was a human figure lying splayed out across the dirt-covered square, illuminated by the dancing flames of the barn. He was not moving. However, there were other figures that were moving: smaller figures than the human lying in the square, perhaps ten of them, moving around the square and the grazing field. Most seemed to be in some sort of chaotic movement, as if they were celebrating, or in revelry, or something--she'd have to move in closer if she wanted to see any clearer details or get a better picture of the situation.

    Except for two figures, who she just managed to spot in the grazing land, walking away from the farm and to the north, who were looking at and holding some kind of small bundle between them.

    A bundle that she could see moving, even from this distance.

    TAG: Ktala
  12. DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus

    Member Since:
    Sep 12, 2002
    star 6
    OOC: In that case, I'll take a bedroll too, and 5 candles. You know you're a DnD noob when you've forgotten to take stuff like that. :p I think that puts me overweight (or at least up to a medium load) so if you're counting that swap my studded armour down to leather armour too.


    IC: Corrath Marktos

    Outside the Dragon's Horn Inn

    With a nod, the winged elf introduced herself as Ariel. She took a step back, unfurled her wings, and with a powerful sweep she was airborne. Corrath's gaze followed her flight path as she circled the building once and disappeared into the horizon in the direction of the flames.

    In short order, those still standing in front of the bar were joined by a halfling and, much to Corrath's disgust, the drunken dwarf. "Ya won't be going alone out tere tonight lads!" he shouted as he staggered out the door. Except now he was carrying an axe - Corrath eyed it a touch warily. The dwarf looked drunk enough to start gesticulating with it and kill someone by accident.

    Or himself.

    One could only hope.

    "Rope's always good," Corrath said to the halfling with a shrug. In truth, he would probably end up being more useful than she would - she was just along for the ride. Putting out a burning building was not exactly in her field of expertise.

    TAG: Mitthy, Tog, Sephy


    Yes, Corrath hates drunks. Blame the alcoholic father ... :D
    Saintheart likes this.
  13. Livi-Wan Force Ghost

    Member Since:
    Sep 29, 2002
    star 4
    OOC: Sorry about the considerable delay; dratted timezones!


    IC: Skadi/>

    Trouble, it seemed to Skadi, always came at a time when it was least convenient. The cleric had reached her first village in a while and had been looking forward to a good meal in the tavern; unfortunately for her, fate had intervened once again. However, clerics of Tyr did not stand by while others needed aid.

    Her fellow cleric (though one she hadn't met before), stood up and called for help in battling the fire that some elves in the inn had spotted. Skadi stood up and picked up her weapons, following the others outside. One of their number, a dwarf, appeared not to be in the best condition for fire fighting.

    Oh well, a volunteer was a volunteer. Skadi moved with the others up to the burning farm.

    [TAG Any]/>
    Saintheart likes this.
  14. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Chosen One

    Member Since:
    Jul 1, 2000
    star 6
    I forgot to put it on my character sheet, but I had meant to put down that I had a riding horse and saddlebags to help me with my load. 94lbs is a lot for my character to carry. But since I didnt put it down, I'll wait see what you have to say Saintheart.


    Zanaek Grahorn

    Outside Dragon's Horn Inn

    "A hand and your feet are just as good as a blade is in battle," Zanaek replied to the halfling. He waited a few seconds longer for the last of the eight patrons that had been in the tavern to join them before waiting no more. "Many thanks to all of you, now lets go before there is nothing left to save." He glanced ahead before starting to jog in the direction of the glowing horizon, leading the way.


    TAG: DM, Everyone
    Saintheart likes this.
  15. Ktala Force Ghost

    Member Since:
    Sep 7, 2002
    star 6
    Ariel Elandinai
    Above the countryside

    Over the next ten to fifteen minutes, things stated quiet, and no other farms were in the area. Soon, she came close to the sourse of what had brought her out here this evening. As she drew closer to the fire, she could see much more clearly the situation. Five hundred feet ahead was a small farm complex of a kind: a farmhouse, a barn, a grazing field of some kind and a wheat field were centred around an open, dirt-covered square of ground about fifty feet across. The farmhouse, a squat, stone single-storey structure, was on the eastern side of that square, while the large, wooden two-storey barn was on the western side. The grazing field was to the north side, and the wheat field to the south. A line of trees straggled off behind the farmhouse down towards the wheat field.

    As she drew closer, to the four hundred foot mark, two things became clear.

    First, it was indeed a single structure that was on fire: the barn, and the fire had taken a firm hold on the structure. The flames leapt hungrily up from the windows and doors, a long plume of smoke drifting up into the windless night. There was no way the barn could now be saved, that much was certain.

    Second, something was very wrong.

    As she closed on the three hundred foot mark, the first thing she spotted was a human figure lying splayed out across the dirt-covered square, illuminated by the dancing flames of the barn. He was not moving. However, there were other figures that were moving: smaller figures than the human lying in the square, perhaps ten of them, moving around the square and the grazing field. Most seemed to be in some sort of chaotic movement, as if they were celebrating, or in revelry, or something. Right now, she was not willing to give away her position, but for sure, if it involved the human laying on the ground, it could not be any good. Orc perhaps? AS Ariel considered getting closer to check, movement of another kind caught her eyes.


    There were two other figures, who she just managed to spot in the grazing land, walking away from the farm and to the north, who were looking at and holding some kind of small bundle between them. A bundle that she could see moving, even from this distance.

    Survivors?

    So far, it looked as if the smaller beings had not noticed the two who were making their way north. She dare not leave them now. She decided the person laying out on the dirt, dead or alive, she probably could not help anymore. But she could at least try to help the two, probably three trying to get away, until her party came close enough for her to warn. She had not seen any of the smaller creatures moving down the road, so it looked as if this was the only place they had attacked so far.

    She altered her flight path, moving to stay out of sight from the shorter creatures or anything else that might be traveling with them, and two, should she see a need, be able to protect the folks who were fleeing the area. She looked to see if she could land without being noticed. They seemed to be trying to swing around the farmland, for they were heading north, and not toward the others. She swooped around, scanning the area, to see if anything was near the beings moving away. If she didnt see any immediate dangers, after two circles, she could possibly land somewhere close, and guide them towards the others. She wished she could contact the others right now, but unable to change such facts, she began scanning the area for dangers or anything else of notice, before she would land.


    TAG:GM's



    PS; *Hope this is right*

    Spot roll:1d20+8 [17,8] = (25)
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1509534/
    Saintheart likes this.
  16. Yuul_Shamar Force Ghost

    Member Since:
    Nov 3, 2004
    star 4
    OOC: For arrival purposes remember Celbrandir is ahead of the rest of the party by a decent amount, not counting Ariel who is of course, a good bit ahead.
    IC: Celbrandir Silverwind

    Celbrandir continued moving as he watched the winged elf fly farther into the distance. He refocused his gaze on the road ahead and kept moving, idly wondering how far the others were behind him.

    Tag
    Saintheart likes this.
  17. Tog Jedi Knight

    Member Since:
    Jan 19, 2007
    star 2
    Radok Keghammer-Dragon's Horn Inn

    Radok looked around at the people gathered, then back to the fire in the distance. "Why th' 'ell are we waitin'? C'mon lads! That fire aint gonna put out itself!" The drunken dwarf roared!

    Tag: Dm, others

    Fort roll: 1d20+4 → [9,4] = (13)
    Saintheart likes this.
  18. LightWarden Force Ghost

    Member Since:
    Oct 11, 2001
    star 4
    OOG: And some travel times here... We're assuming hustling, because you can do it for an hour without penalty, and it only takes half an hour even for the slowest among you.

    Speed: 20 ft; Time: 30 minutes; People: Zanaek, Skadi, Zimwar, Radok, Corrath (if encumbered)

    Speed: 30 ft; Time: 20 minutes; People: Celbrandir, Corrath (if unencumbered)

    Speed: 40 ft; Time: 15 minutes; People: Thorbald (Carmendine Monk can boost either damage, dodge, or move speed as a monk of 2 levels higher. Speed is the only one which goes up at level 3, so it's a bit of a no-brainer)

    Speed: 50 ft; Time: 12 minutes; People: Ariel, heavy horse

    Speed: 60 ft; Time: 10 minutes; People: light horse

    Note that a light horse will drop to 40 and a heavy horse will drop to 35 it's carrying too much weight. Also note that dwarves don't slow down even if they're carrying a great deal of stuff.

    Also, Tog, your save was actually 15. Dwarves get a +2 to saves against poison. It makes sense if that includes alcohol and resisting intoxication.
    Saintheart likes this.
  19. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Chosen One

    Member Since:
    Jul 1, 2000
    star 6
    You know what we could use? An interactive "miniatures map" that allows the players and DM to move their miniatures so as to provide a visual image of the battleground and is inputed similar to the dice roller, except with images instead of text. Know if one exists?
    Saintheart likes this.
  20. LightWarden Force Ghost

    Member Since:
    Oct 11, 2001
    star 4
    OOG:
    Whee

    However, since we can't really keep it up and running to cover everyone at every time, the easiest method is just to have the DM keep posting updated maps of the situation by tinkering with it and posting screenshots. This is about the point where I rail against how much our image system sucks.

    Alternatively, you do a similar thing, just with MS paint or something.

    For those of us who like competent maps and spending money, there's this bad boy. For those of us who like competent maps and don't like spending money, prepare to hit "print screen", because you can't save using the demo.
    Saintheart likes this.
  21. Yuul_Shamar Force Ghost

    Member Since:
    Nov 3, 2004
    star 4
    OOC: So those times assume we all left at the same time right? Celbrandir left ahead at Zanaek's suggestion, he's been moving since before Ariel took to the skies ;)
    Saintheart likes this.
  22. Saintheart Chosen One

    Member Since:
    Dec 16, 2000
    star 6
    DM OOG: Mitth, Light, everyone: On the map issue, I'll certainly set something like that up ASAP -- but it'll be at least 12 or more hours before that gets into place, simply because I can't risk downloading stuff like that at work, and I have a child at home. For what it's worth, if it wasn't clear, the party's line of approach to the farm is from the east, just as Ktala's was.

    Tog: Made your Fortitude save. Your character is belligerent, but hasn't lost control of himself and his combat skills aren't (in terms of the dice rolls) affected by the drink.

    Yuul_Shamar: Celbrandir did start at a run, which gives you a 2 minute advantage to everyone except Ariel and Thorbald (if he ever posts... :D)


    Ariel Elandinai

    In the air above the farm

    Ariel's flight path did require her to move closer to the farm in any event, though she took a northwestern flight path towards the vicinity of the two figures she could see in the grazing field. And there didn't seem to be anything in the nature of an immediate threat in the vicinity of the two figures. Moreover her flight towards them went unnoticed by the two figures, and she closed to within 150 feet.

    It was at that point that her keen elven vision picked up something from those figures that might well have caused her some concern.

    The two figures walking north weren't human. They were short, small figures who moved in a way identical to the figures she'd seen cavorting around in the vicinity of the farmhouse. About four feet tall, with flat faces and protruding jaws, greenish coloured skin, with ragged, soiled clothing, she recognised them from both her tutoring and her experiences: goblins.

    Even more concerning was the fact that the bundle that one of the goblins now held was not of the same species. From this distance, her keen eyesight had picked out that the goblin was holding a small human baby, wriggling in their grasp. She couldn't hear it crying from here, but the odds were pretty good that it was.

    And the last, perhaps most concerning thing was the sudden, angry cry of alarm that came from somewhere 250 feet distant, from the direction of the other figures and the farm: a cry that, since it was in Goblin, she could not translate, but which she figured was probably some equivalent of Hey!

    She'd been seen by at least one of the goblins near the farm. Probably due to her circling the area twice looking for enemies.

    TAG: Ktala


    OOG: Ktala: Here's where things start to get a bit more complicated. Ktala, you are 150 feet to the southeast of the two goblins (100 feet if you were on the ground.)

    This is potentially a combat situation, so Ktala, you'll need to roll for initiative -- which means 1d20 plus your initiative modifier. Initiative determines the order in which people get to act during combat.

    In this "round" -- a period of 6 seconds, as all rounds are -- the two carrying goblins aren't aware of your presence, so they don't get to act against you. Any goblins aware of your presence do get an action, which we'll cover once I've got your initiative roll and we know who acts first.

    During your "turn" in the round, you generally have three things you can do:
    (1) move (anything up to your move speed) and attack;
    (2) just move (up to double or even quadruple if you're fleeing), or
    (3) do a "full attack" (if you have more than one attack per round).

    Since you're level 1, and thus can only attack once per round, we can forget full attacks for now.

    You have a special rule because you're airborne. To maintain flight, you have to retain at least half your speed -- in other words, you can't move your full 50 feet, attack, and stay off the ground. You're down to moving 25 feet or less at a time and making an attack, or moving 50 feet or more (if you choose a "run" speed). Bear in mind you're 150 feet up in the air, so it's going to take at least three rounds of ordinary flight before you can land. If you choose to stay in the air and attack
  23. LightWarden Force Ghost

    Member Since:
    Oct 11, 2001
    star 4
    OOC: Flight rules, if you need them. As Ariel has Average maneuverability, she has to move at least 25 feet each round. A 45 degree turn counts as 5 feet of movement, but I don't think you can make five 45 degree turns and call it a day, since you need to move at least 25 feet forward, though you could do something like forward five feet, turn 45 degrees, repeat four more times and circle or something. Also, you can still attack in the same round you move, allowing you to move up to fifty feet and attack.

    Sorry these things are so confusing, this is usually why it's a good idea to get the "Improved Flight" feat as soon as possible, since it'll bump your maneuverability up to "good", allowing you to hover and such. With that said, the one good thing about average maneuverability is that if you can stop a winged creature with that level of aerial agility, they'll fall from the sky. This is why things such as nets are useful.
    Saintheart likes this.
  24. Saintheart Chosen One

    Member Since:
    Dec 16, 2000
    star 6
    DM OOG: Oops. Yep, LightWarden's right, guys. Sorry about the confusion; I'm still adjusting to flying PCs (though it's one fun experience!) :)
  25. Ktala Force Ghost

    Member Since:
    Sep 7, 2002
    star 6
    Ariel Elandinai
    In the air above the farm

    Ariel's flight path did require her to move closer to the farm in any event, though she took a northwestern flight path towards the vicinity of the two figures she could see in the grazing field. But when she got closer, she nearly chocked.

    The two figures walking north weren't human. They were short, small figures who moved in a way identical to the figures she'd seen cavorting around in the vicinity of the farmhouse. About four feet tall, with flat faces and protruding jaws, greenish coloured skin, with ragged, soiled clothing, she recognised them from both her tutoring and her experiences: goblins. But worse, wasthat they were carrying a small human baby with them.

    No. She would not simply fly about now. She HAD to do something. As she thought about what she could do, there was a sudden, angry cry of alarm that came from somewhere 250 feet distant, from the direction of the other figures and the farm.

    She growled. It was a good bet that that cry was aimed towards her. She needed to act quickly now. So far, it didnt look like the two carrying the child were aware of her yet. Drawing a weapon and attacking them, would leave one free to attack her. But Ariel could do a quick power dive. It would keep the others off of her, and she could probably swoop in from behind, snatch the child, and take off before they were any wiser.

    Ariel closed her wings, and dropped like a rock in her power drive, coming up behind the two goblins. She would have to be quick, and direct, in order to do what she needed.



    TAG:GM's

    Init Roll :1d20+5 ? [7,5] = (12)

    iN CASE THESE ARE NEEDED
    +4 grapple
    +4 melee
    Special attack : DIVE
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1510278/

    IM HATING THIS ROLLER...lol!
    Saintheart likes this.
Moderators: Penguinator, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.