1. Oh hai Guest!

    Welcome to the RPF!

Fantasy A Tide of Flames: a d20 Dungeons & Dragons adventure

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Saintheart, Feb 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Penguinator, Ramza
  1. Saintheart Chosen One

    Member Since:
    Dec 16, 2000
    star 6
    Ariel Elandinai

    Above the farm

    Perhaps it was just the adrenaline, but time slowed down, letting Ariel see events in a terrifying clarity.

    Ariel's dive was partially born from desperation; if the goblins carrying the baby turned to see her, there was little chance she would be able to reach them before they were aware of her. As it was, out of the corner of her eye she could see two of the goblins near the farm square start sprinting towards her position, moving with frightening speed as they closed in on her position.

    Fortunately, when the goblin voice was raised from the farm's square, the two goblins holding the baby turned to see what he was yelling about -- not in Ariel's direction, and her semi-suicidal power dive went unseen as she covered 100 feet in six seconds. But the goblins still had their ears, and as she fell earthwards the one now holding the baby turned in her direction. Its eyes widened, its mouth open, and it tried to move--

    But Ariel was already there, landing safely in a sweep of glistening wings in the moonlight right next to the two goblins. As the second goblin finally began to turn, the goblin holding the baby opened its mouth to scream its rage -- and Ariel grabbed at the baby in its arms, even as out of the corner of her eye she saw the two running goblins from the field sprint to reach the sixty feet mark from her position...

    TAG: Ktala

    DM OOG: Ktala, make a Grapple check (1d20). You're not given your +4 bonus in this case because you're trying to grab the baby safely out of the goblin's arms, which means you can't apply full force to it. If you succeed against the Grapple roll I've made for the goblins, the baby will be in your arms, and that will be your action for this round. It's all up to you. If you wanted to be a hero, you're about to have your chance. [face_devil]
  2. Ktala Force Ghost

    Member Since:
    Sep 7, 2002
    star 6
    Ariel Elandinai
    Above the farm

    Perhaps it was just the adrenaline, or being caught up within the moment of events, but to Ariel it felt as if time came to a crawl. She figured that she would only have one chance to her attack to work, and she didnt want to wait for the others if she could help it.

    Whispering a small prayer to the Winged Mother, Ariel shot down in her dive towards the two goblins and the infant. She knew that if they suddenly turned around, she would be in serious trouble, but she decided to risk it, if it gave her a chance to save the baby.

    As she dropped downward, out of the corner of her eye she could see two of the goblins near the farm square start sprinting towards her position, moving with frightening speed as they closed in on her position. How could these ground bounders move so fast? She kept her eyes on her task.

    Fortunately, when the goblin voice was raised from the farm's square, the two goblins holding the baby turned to see what he was yelling about -- not in Ariel's direction, and now she was there, moving towards them when the one now holding the baby turned in her direction. Its eyes widened, its mouth open, and it tried to move...

    But Ariel was already there, grabbing even as she prepared to fly once more, for other goblins were approaching far to fast for her likes. And if she was to do battle with them, she wanted some distance.



    TAG: GM

    Prays, and does her roll...
    4
    I HATE THIS @**!!$#%@@ THING....
    Saintheart likes this.
  3. Saintheart Chosen One

    Member Since:
    Dec 16, 2000
    star 6
    DM OOG: PHAIL'D.









































    ...Kidding. Succeeded!

    Ariel Elandinai

    On the ground

    Again time slowed down. Ariel had managed to catch the holding goblin unaware, and before it had a chance to tighten its grip the Avariel snatched the human baby from its grasp. It screamed pitifully as it wriggled, tears running down its face in the moonlight. A distant part of Ariel registered that the child was so different to the way elven children looked. This one could not have been more than one year old, at best -- and she suspected her estimation of its age was well out by some months.

    The instants rolled past in slow motion, and Ariel realised her situation. The second goblin had now turned and was similarly in a state of shock, while the first's shock was melting away, replaced by rage. But Ariel still had a chance to do something. The two goblins were well within striking range of her, each less than 5 feet from her. The goblins running towards her position were 60 feet away and closing.

    TAG: Ktala


    Ariel Elandinai
    HP: 31
    AC: 14 (see below)
    Attack/Damage: Melee +2 (see below) Ranged: 0
    Saves: Fort - 3, Ref - 5, Will - 2
    ENCUMBERED BY BABY: -4 AC, -2 MELEE ATTACK, NO RANGED ATTACKS

    DM OOG: This is because you're effectively trying to fight with one hand, hold the baby in the other, and shield the baby from any attacks that come your way. You have no ranged attacks because you need two hands free to draw a bowstring.

    From here, Ktala has several options: draw your weapon and attack, draw your weapon and move, just move, drink a potion, whatever. Ktala has the initiative in this case: she rolled a higher Initiative score than the goblins did, so she gets to act before they do.

    Ktala: if you try and fly, you can climb at a 60 degree upward angle, and fly up a maximum of 25 feet per round. The rest of your round must be spent flying level to maintain forward speed.
  4. DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus

    Member Since:
    Sep 12, 2002
    star 6
    OOC - Definitely swap the studded armor for light armor to get back down to a light load, then.

    Regarding movement speed: if you 'hustle' for less than your maximum hustling speed, can you go for longer? Corrath can move at 30ft (3mph), right, and hustle to 60ft (6mph) for an hour, but does hustling to say 50ft mean she can keep up the pace for longer?


    IC: Corrath Marktos

    Outside Dragon's Horn Inn

    Corrath jogged easily alongside the rest of the group. The pace he set was just half again as fast as a brisk walk for her, so she had no trouble meeting it at all.

    Halfway there, though, she began to find the slow speed tiresome. Keeping up wasn't the point - she was merely getting rapidly tired of having to check her speed for the benefit of some strangers she had just met. "I'll go on ahead," she announced, and without waiting for a reply she increased her speed to a full hustle, rapidly outdistancing the rest of the group.

    TAG: Mitthy, Tog, Sephy, Livi, DM


    If I'm not allowed to do that, well, smack me down for it. :D
    Saintheart likes this.
  5. Ktala Force Ghost

    Member Since:
    Sep 7, 2002
    star 6
    OOC!:**Recovers from Massive Heart Attack!

    Ariel Elandinai
    On the ground

    Again time slowed down, as she felt her heart racing like mad. Ariel had managed to catch the holding goblin unaware, and before it had a chance to tighten its grip, she managed to snatched the human baby from its grasp. It screamed pitifully as it wriggled, tears running down its face in the moonlight. Horrible sounds to hear from one so young. She had no idea how old the child could be, but for now, she tucked the child close to her chest, the only way she could try and calm it down right now. She definately owed the 'Winged Mother' thanks this night.

    As the moments moved, Ariel was intently aware that while the second goblin had now turned and was in shock, the first ones shock was melting away, replaced by rage. Ordinarily, she would give these things a fight to remember, but she now had a small charge to take care of. And the others were so far away. She could not use her bow, and would have to fight one armed, with her rapier.

    And there were the others heading her way as well. Not very good odds. Her first responsibility was to the child, no mater what she felt. But she did not feel like giving the goblins a parting shot at her as she went to leave.

    Expanding her wings suddenly, she drew her weapon, as if she was about to charge and fight the pair...

    And then took off as fast as she could go, keeping her rapier ready for any retaliatory attacks. The buckler would protect the child somewhat, as she pulled the baby close to her. She vaguely wondered if it was a boy or girl, as she took off as fast as her wings could move. She needed to dissapear into the trees quickly, so they would lose sight of her, then she could find her companions and tell them what was going on.

    But first she had to get out of there. She hoped her good fortune would continue to hold out.



    TAG: Saint
    Saintheart likes this.
  6. Saintheart Chosen One

    Member Since:
    Dec 16, 2000
    star 6
    DM OOG: DarthXan318: Theoretically, yes, but for present purposes it doesn't make an appreciable difference. I'll rule that you increase your speed sufficiently so you'll catch up to Celbrandir in about four minutes or so (and thus will be together for much of the journey.) So you can certainly roleplay that part yourself. :)

    Meanwhile...

    Ariel Elandinai

    Above the ground

    Ariel's wings spread wide, and again the advantage of surprise was with her: the goblins did not have the opportunity to take swings at her before she was in the air again, leaping into the sky up and over their heads, making for the nearest trees, which were past the body of the farmhouse -- and, dangerously, in the direction of the square with the goblins she had seen there.

    The goblins' surprise didn't last for long, though. Almost by instinct, each of the four in the vicinity drew one of the long, three-foot pieces of wood he had strapped across his back: javelins. With grunts and snarls of hatred, the goblins hurled them into the night sky, picking out Ariel's location.

    One whipped past Ariel's ear with a hollow whoosh and tumbled away into the darkness.

    The second one lashed her thigh, causing a sliver of flame to whip up Ariel's leg, but it, too, disappeared into the darkness: a glancing hit.

    The third, thrown by one of the more distant goblins, had lost much of its momentum and simply dropped away into the darkness before it reached her.

    The fourth, thrown by the last goblin, with a lot more force, caught Ariel at the junction of her back and her wings, sending hot fire shooting through her shoulderblades. The baby screamed its fear next to her chest. But Ariel's armour had turned most of the blow's force, and despite the sting in her shoulderblades, she could continue flying as she was.

    TAG: Ktala

    Ariel Elandinai
    HP: 27/31
    AC: 14 (see below)
    Attack/Damage: Melee +2 (see below) Ranged: 0
    Saves: Fort - 3, Ref - 5, Will - 2
    ENCUMBERED BY BABY: -4 AC, -2 MELEE ATTACK, NO RANGED ATTACKS
  7. Ktala Force Ghost

    Member Since:
    Sep 7, 2002
    star 6
    Ariel Elandinai
    Above the ground

    Airel was airborn before the goblins near her could react. Unfortunately the only trees where she could dissapear into took her close to the other goblins. And those goblins were not like the others. They reactions were quick, and Airel almost didnt see the danger she was in. These had javelins.

    She heard the noises, as she flew as fast as she could. Only when one swooshed past her ear did she know what they were up to. Ariel concentrated on reaching the trees, holding on to the child tightly in case anything happened.

    Pain lanced up her leg, but it was not bad. A glancing hit from another javelin as it too had shot past her. She was getting closer to the trees now, when she saw a third one fall, never reaching her.

    Yes. The trees were coming up. And then she would be safe. She could change direction to quickly meet up with the others, without them knowing. These goblins sure seemed much more trained that she was lead to belive.

    "Ahh!" she caught herself, as suddenly, Ariel felt a firely sensation through her back and shoulder blades that made her bite down on her lip. She coudlnt believe it. One had managed to get her, and in a critical spot, but luckily she was wearing armor. It was painful, but she could manage it.

    The baby screamed its fear next to her chest. Ariel made small cooing noises as she pattened the baby, trying to quiet it. One to calm it down, but more importantly, its screaming could guide the others to her location. She spoke softly. "Little one, shush. We be fine." in her gentle voice, as she put away her rapier, and patted its back. She certainly hoped that the one she had heard the bartender call 'Cleric' had healing skills. Ariel could tend to some wounds, but she had to be able to reach them. But it was a small price to pay. It could have been much worse. Wrapping both arms around the child, she flew back towards the party. She wondered if the baby had come from the farm, or someplace else. The bartender had not mentioned anyone else.

    She made her way as fast as she could. She knew the elf she had spoken to early should be catching up soon. She needed to get the word back to the others.


    TAG:GM...
    and if nothing else stops me...Yuul..;)
    Saintheart likes this.
  8. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost

    Member Since:
    Jul 1, 2000
    star 6
    OOC: *drums fingers* Are we there yet?

    This is the one thing I hated about D&D, the wait to join a battle. Heh.

    Anyway, as for my pace. I thought I was jogging, going faster than just hustling? Since I have Endurance for a feat, it should help with any constitution checks I have to make. 0_o
    Saintheart likes this.
  9. Yuul_Shamar Force Ghost

    Member Since:
    Nov 3, 2004
    star 4
    IC: Celbrandir Silverwind

    Celbrandir continued hustling up the road, idly wondering what the winged elf had seen. As he drew closer to the glow he scanned the sky in front of him for any sign of her.

    Tag: any
    ----------
    Spot Check: 17+7?=24
    OOC: Do I need to make a listen check too?
    Also, does the enlarge person spell increase the enlarged person's speed? as in there strides are longer so they move faster?
    Saintheart likes this.
  10. LightWarden Force Ghost

    Member Since:
    Oct 11, 2001
    star 4
    OOG: You'd think it would matter, but it never seems to work out that way. The spell description itself specifically states that it doesn't boost the target's speed. But if the DM wants to rule a flat +10 ft move speed bonus, that's his call. It does seem to be the way the giant subtype works, with large giants having a base speed of 40, huge giants having a base speed of 50.

    Anyways, it should take Ariel maybe five minutes to meet up with the 20 move speed armored division, but only a minute or two to meet up with the more swift-footed members of the group, which means you can drop the baby off, gather a posse and go deliver some justice.
  11. DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus

    Member Since:
    Sep 12, 2002
    star 6
    Coolness...


    IC: Corrath Marktos

    On the way to the farm

    Much better, Corrath thought, hustling along as fast as she could - and maybe a little faster than entirely comfortable. Not that she had anything against slow speeds, exactly, but this time there were definite advantages to getting there faster.

    A few minutes later, she ran into the other elf from the tavern - nearly literally. She had not been paying attention to the road, trusting that the fire was still a distance away, and had not noticed the elf's presence until she nearly bowled into him. She narrowly managed to swerve to the side, then slowed her pace just a touch to match his.

    Recovering, Corrath gave him a small wave.

    TAG: Yuul
    Saintheart likes this.
  12. Ktala Force Ghost

    Member Since:
    Sep 7, 2002
    star 6
    Ariel Elandinai
    Above the ground

    Ariel ignored the pain she felt as she made her way back to the others, clutching the child close to her. She angeled her flight up, to stear clear of any more objects being tossed at her, as she began searching.

    She had to find the elf who had been moving in front of the party, before he ran into the goblins, to warn him. Ariel continued to coo softly, keeping the child calm.

    She kept up her speed as fast as she could go, wrapping her cloak around the child, she kept both hands around the child, as she searched for the other members of the group, or any other possible dangers.


    TAG

    heheh..ARE WE THERE YET? :p
    Saintheart likes this.
  13. Saintheart Chosen One

    Member Since:
    Dec 16, 2000
    star 6
    DM OOG: Yuul_Shamar: On the Enlarge Person spell thing, I'm happy to rule that it boosts your speed by 10 feet per round as LightWarden suggests. On the other hand, you might want to look up the spell description at the D&D rules site: its duration, for Level 1 characters, is 1 minute. If you were considering casting it, it won't make an appreciable difference to your speed.

    Mitth: Hustling is pretty much the closest you can get to jogging in armour. Again, going faster than hustling is pushing your body, and doing it for half an hour or more is really pushing it. Because I'm a nice guy ;) if you really want to set a cracking pace for yourself, I'll allow you to make a Constitution check to avoid being winded at the end of it, but it'll be a fairly high number to beat. Just make a post on the subject.


    Ariel Elandinai, Celbrandir Silverwind, Corrath Marktos

    The Moors on the path to the farm

    Although Ariel could hear inarticulate roars of frustration behind her as she turned back the way she'd come and climbed up and away from the farm, those same roars faded into the distance behind her, and no other javelins came her way as far as she could tell.

    The injuries weren't serious, and there didn't seem to be any sort of sickening feeling she would associate with poison, although they understandably did throb with heat. Her flight wasn't affected. Against her chest, the baby was beginning to calm down in the soothing caress of the Avariel and the winds of this altitude, though it was clearly still distressed and its tears glinted in the moonlight.

    Fortunately she didn't have to wait long before she finally saw what she'd been looking for: two individuals jogging over the moor, the grace in their footsteps clearly marking them as elven in some way. One she recognised even from this distance as the robed elf who called himself Celbrandir Silverwind, and the other a person she hadn't been introduced to before she'd left.

    On the ground, elven eyes likewise spotted their winged "cousin" as Corrath and Celbrandir moved up over the silver-lit moors towards the burning form of the farmhouse. Given the rate at which the size of the fire had been growing, the best estimate the half-elf and the sorcerer had formed was that they were some 10 minutes away from the location of the fire.

    TAG: Ktala, DarthXan318, Yuul_Shamar, everyone...

    DM OOG: A couple of quick announcements.

    (1) Prenn, for various reasons, won't be joining us from here on. As such I've offered the available spot on the team to one CryoDragoon001, who I've sent a PM and who hopefully will join us shortly. But for present purposes we'll run it on the basis that Prenn's character simply doesn't exist, and people don't need to wait for him to post.

    (2) I've now got a copy of Dundjinni, that mapping software -- a full version. I still have to set it up, but hopefully that'll help deal with mapping issues in combat. As for how we'll handle it on the boards, I've got a photobucket account and I suppose I'll take screenshots, stick them in my bucket, and link to or image them here. :)
  14. Yuul_Shamar Force Ghost

    Member Since:
    Nov 3, 2004
    star 4
    IC: Celbrandir Silverwind

    Celbrandir heard someone comming up behind him as he head to the distant fire. A quick check revealed it was one of the people from the tavern, and apparently also elven in some way. Celbrandir nodded in reply to the being's wave.

    As the two continued down the path Celbrandir at last caught sight of Ariel once more. He couldn't tell, but it seemed she was holding something. He waved to her to get her attention shortly before he realized she had noticed him. He did not slow his hustle towards the farm though.

    Tag
    Saintheart likes this.
  15. Ktala Force Ghost

    Member Since:
    Sep 7, 2002
    star 6
    Ariel Elandinai
    In the sky, over the path to the farm

    Although Ariel could hear inarticulate roars of frustration behind her as she turned back the way she'd come and climbed up and away from the farm, those same roars faded into the distance behind her, and no other javelins came her way as far as she could tell.

    So far, she didnt feel anything to make her think poison, but she had been wondering. She would have her wounds check later. She could still fly, and for that she was thankful. Against her chest, the baby was beginning to calm down thankfully. She looked down at the child. She seemed to like the winds, and was so glad she calmed. Ariel could clearly the baby was still unhappy, and its tears glinted in the moonlight. She cooed softly. Poor thing. Even though this child was not elven, it was hard not to feel for anything so helpless.

    Soon, she finally saw what she'd been looking for, someone on the road. Actually, there appeared to be two individuals jogging over the moor, the grace in their footsteps clearly marking them as elven in some way. One she recognised even from this distance as the robed elf who called himself Celbrandir Silverwind, and the other a person she hadn't been introduced to before she'd left.

    Large wings gracefully moved as she flew to a spot to intercept them. In elvish, once she got close, she called out "STOP!"

    Ariel swooped around, and landed behind the pair. "Must warn the others. Its' not just a fire." Airel fluttered her wings slightly. "Goblins." She opened up her cloak a bit, to show the child she was now carrying. "I saw one body out the ground. The farmers I guess. Didnt see anyone else. The fire is to the barn." Ariel flapped her wings, as she wrapped the child in her cloak once more. It was a welcomed bit of rest to her shoulders.

    She waited to hear what the others had to say.



    TAG: DarthXan318, Yuul_Shamar, everyone
    Saintheart likes this.
  16. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost

    Member Since:
    Jul 1, 2000
    star 6
    Zanaek Grahorn

    En route to Fire

    Zanaek should have left some of his equipment behind and asked the barkeep to keep an eye on it while he went to investigate the fire. Instead he was lugging around stuff he probably did not need. It was making it difficult to maintain a quick pace in order to reach this fire as quickly as possible. He was glad that he had sent the elves ahead. At least they could get there faster and start helping whoever needed help.

    Although the elves were ahead of the rest, he figured it was only by a minute and catching up wouldn't be too of a problem. He glanced ahead of him for any sign of the elves.


    TAG: DM, Everyone

    I wasnt sure which roll to make so I made two, Fortitude and a Constitution roll.

    Fort: 1d20+3 = 7
    Con: 1d20+1 = 11


    If I get to use the Endurance feat then its +4 to either roll.

    Spot check
    1d20+6 = 17
    Saintheart likes this.
  17. Saintheart Chosen One

    Member Since:
    Dec 16, 2000
    star 6
    DM OOG: Mitth: Zanaek failed his Constitution and Fortitude check, I'm sorry to say. I'll still allow you to set a cracking pace and catch up to Corrath, Celbrandir, and Ariel in the next three or four minutes, but you'll be at "Fatigued" condition until you get 8 hours' complete rest. You only get this because it's very clear terrain, a clear night, and the will of the gods. :)

    Just as a quick note -- that leaves us with Corrath, Celbrandir, Ariel, and Zanaek in the forward group at 10 minutes away from the farm. I've put stat blocks in for them. Simwar, Skadi, and Radok are at 15 minutes away from the farm. Stat blocks will follow as they get closer to the action.


    Zanaek Grahorn

    The Moors, heading for the farm

    The cleric of Torm's stride lengthened, his lungs pumped air like a blacksmith's bellows, and notwithstanding the armour, he raced ahead of the halfling, dwarf, and the other cleric. As he ran he felt his arms and legs screaming, and sweat run into his eyes.

    Fortunately that sweat did not restrict his vision for long, and as he crested the top of a moor he spotted in the silvery moonlight a good half mile away, a winged figure landing by two other figures: the other elves. He only paused for a second or two, though, and continued running towards their position.

    TAG: Mitth


    Ariel Elandinai
    HP: 27/31 (Lightly injured)
    AC: 14 (see below)
    Attack/Damage: Melee +2 (see below) Ranged: 0
    --Rapier 1d6+1
    Saves: Fort - +3, Ref - +5, Will - +2
    ENCUMBERED BY BABY: -4 AC, -2 MELEE ATTACK, NO RANGED ATTACKS

    Zanaek Grahorn
    HP: 25/25
    AC: 15
    Attack/Damage: Melee -1 (shield, dagger); -5 (longsword) Ranged -1
    --Longsword 1d6/1d8-1, crit 20/x2, slashing)
    --Light Crossbow: [1d6/1d8-1, crit 19-20/x2, range inc 80 ft., 4 lb., light, piercing]
    --Shield, light [1d2/1d3-1, crit x2, 6 lb., light, bludgeon]
    --Dagger [1d3/1d4-1, crit 19-20/x2, range inc 10 ft., 1 lb., light, piercing]
    Saves: Fort - +3 Ref - -1 Will - +6
    FATIGUED: -2 STR, -2 DEX, Can't charge or run (8 hours' rest to clear)
    NOT PROFICIENT WITH MELEE WEAPON: additional -4 to all attacks with longsword.


    Corrath Marktos
    HP: 19/19
    AC: 15 (leather armour instead of studded)
    Attack/Damage: -1 melee, +3 ranged
    --Rapier 1d6-1 (18-20/x2+1d6)
    --Shortbow 1d6-1 (20/x3+1d6)
    --Dagger 1d4 (19-20/x2+1d6)
    Saves: Fort - +1, Ref - +5, Will - 0

    Celbrandir Silverwind
    HP: 13/13
    AC: 14
    Attack/Damage: +0 melee, +4 ranged
    --Dagger 1d4(crit 19-20 x2)
    --Shortbow 1d6(20 x3)
    Saves: Fort - +1 Ref - +4 Will - +4
    Spells:
    -- 5x Level 0: Mage Hand, Light, Disrupt Undead, Detect Magic
    -- 4x Level 1: Enlarge Person, Magic Missile

    Mitth, I've substituted your longsword for a heavy mace, mostly because clerics can use maces without taking a feat. Otherwise you attack with a longswords at a -4. They do the same damage -- I can change it back if you want.
  18. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost

    Member Since:
    Jul 1, 2000
    star 6
    Id rather keep the longsword and take the penalties until I grab the Martial Weapons Proficiency feat next level. Besides, thats why I have the crossbow. Ive learned that I last longer if I kill my enemies at a distance. :D

    Zanaek Grahorn

    The Moors, heading for farm

    He was exhausted from the increased pace and swore to Torm that he was going to get a riding horse and saddlebags the next chance he got. But at least he now caught up with the elves that had gone ahead. He slowed to a brisk walk and approached the three elves. He took a couple deep breathes before he chose to speak, "Three others are coming and are only a couple minutes behind me. What have you seen so far, Ariel?"


    TAG: Ktala, Yuul, Xan, Saint
    Saintheart likes this.
  19. Saintheart Chosen One

    Member Since:
    Dec 16, 2000
    star 6
  20. Yuul_Shamar Force Ghost

    Member Since:
    Nov 3, 2004
    star 4
    IC: Celbrandir Silverwind

    Celbrandir watched as Ariel flew towards them, before shouting, "Stop!" Which Celbrandir did so imeaditely as she landed.

    "Must warn the others. Its' not just a fire. Goblins. I saw one body out the ground. The farmers I guess. Didnt see anyone else. The fire is to the barn."

    Celbrandir took in all this information as the cleric whom had advised Celbrandir to run ahead caught up with them.

    "Three others are coming and are only a couple minutes behind me. What have you seen so far, Ariel?"


    Celbrandir spoke first, "Aparently the fire was caused by goblins. Ariel says she saw at least one body so they are probally dead. Not the entire family it would seem though." Celbrandir nodded toward the infant Ariel was holding. "We should probally have someone get the babe too safety, while others deal with the goblins. We should also warn those in the area after the goblin threat has been taken care of."

    Tag: Others

    Saintheart likes this.
  21. SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Grand Master

    Member Since:
    Apr 9, 2005
    star 5
    IC: Simwar Saddlebrook
    Outside the Dragon's Horn

    Figuring there would be action for a good long while, Simwar jogged just leisurely enough to look like he was hustling with the rest of the group. The shorter the legs, the shorter the stride, the easier to convince people that a comfortable pace is your fastest, or so Simwar believed.

    (ooc: Figure that move speed out, D&D experts! :p Hope the liberties taken with arriving "whenever" don't screw things up too much. I just didn't feel like churning out multiple posts about running there)

    Thus, he arrived a little bit after his newfound compatriots, overhearing some discussion of Goblins. This was part of why Simwar had a bow. His love for sticking pointy wooden shafts through the flesh of creatures far less important to him was only exceeded by his love of gold, and one usually led to the other in his experience.

    He readied his bow.

    Tag: DM, everyone

    (ooc2: Any specific rolls I should make? Initiative? Spot Check? Regardless:
    Initiative: 1d20+4 ââ? â?? [4,4] = (8)
    Spot Check...oy once again posting when too tired for numbers to work properly...)
    Saintheart likes this.
  22. Saintheart Chosen One

    Member Since:
    Dec 16, 2000
    star 6
    OOG: SephyCloneNo15... 8-}

    Seriously, you're still about five minutes or so behind, in the company of the dwarf and Skadi. I won't require a roll for your "leisurely" pace. :D

    As for rolls: it's helpful that you've rolled Initiative; that'll be your score when you get to the notional field of battle (as I assume is shortly to take place...) Beyond that you won't need to roll Spot checks, since you'll probably wind up arriving after the battle's already begun.

    As for everyone else: make some decisions about what you're going to do IC reasonably quickly, and we'll fast forward a bit. The moors are safe enough for the time being that nothing's going to threaten you, so don't worry about being accosted by a passing dragon or whatever on your way to the farm.

    For planning purposes, the direction of your overland approach is from the east, and is in line with the burning barn. Check back to Ktala's description of the layout of the grounds if you need the details; I would imagine if Ariel doesn't tell you this IC you could assume it to take place anyway. And as I say I'll try and get a map up once I've mastered Dundjinni, which hopefully won't take long.

    In terms of timing: to simplify things so everyone gets a crack at combat, I'll rule this way. The mini-conference that's happening is going to take a few minutes any which way. Assuming the "advance party" goes ahead of the "armoured division" to the farm, they'll arrive at the edge of the farm 15 rounds (or 1.5 minutes) ahead of Skadi, Radok, and Simwar. You can also assume that if there's some plan to wait for the armoured division and then send a few people in by scouting, those who remain behind can get to within 300 feet of the farm without having to roll "Move Silently" or "Hide" checks. Remember if you need to sprint you can cover 4x your speed in a single round, though it's all you can do in that round.

    And of course if you all decide to head in at once, that eliminates all of these problems.
  23. DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus

    Member Since:
    Sep 12, 2002
    star 6
    IC: Corrath Marktos

    The Moors on the path to the farm

    About ten minutes from the fire, Corrath spotted Ariel in the sky. The winged elf was evidently on her way back from the burning building and was arrowing in on their position - and was that a bundle in her arms? Even in the low light, Corrath could see that her arms were held close to her chest, in a position that she thought a little unnatural unless she was injured or holding something. She didn't look injured.

    "STOP!" Ariel called in elvish. Large wings gracefully moved as she swooped around, and landed behind the pair. "Must warn the others. It's not just a fire." Airel fluttered her wings slightly, parting her cloak to show that she was carrying a child in her arms. "Goblins. I saw one body out the ground. The farmers I guess. Didn't see anyone else. The fire is to the barn."

    Just then, the cleric caught up. Corrath shot him an arch, amused glance - it was perhaps inappropriate given the gravity of the situation, but the man was sweating and breathing hard, the toll of catching up with the elves clearly too much for his constitution. "Three others are coming and are only a couple minutes behind me. What have you seen so far, Ariel?" he asked once he caught his breath.

    As the other elf filled him in, Corrath directed a question at Ariel. "Did you see any other survivors there?" On impulse, she added, "I can go ahead to check - I can get close without them seeing me."

    TAG: Ktala, Yuul, Mitthy

    Initiative: 19
    and I suppose sneaking up would require a Hide or Move Silently check?
    Saintheart likes this.
  24. SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Grand Master

    Member Since:
    Apr 9, 2005
    star 5
    (ooc: So the dragon-missing-a-horn for whom the Dragon's Horn is presumably named isn't wandering the woods right now? That's disappointing. Isn't there always supposed to be a dragon handy to consume AWOL players like a certain someone whom we've been informed can no longer join us?)
    Saintheart likes this.
  25. Ktala Force Ghost

    Member Since:
    Sep 7, 2002
    star 6
    Ariel
    The Moors on the path to the farm

    "Must warn the others. Its' not just a fire. Goblins. I saw one body out the ground. The farmers I guess. Didnt see anyone else. The fire is to the barn." she told the group of elves, she had just run into.

    The elf in robes spoke up. "Three others are coming and are only a couple minutes behind me. What have you seen so far, Ariel?"

    Ariel frowned slightly, but said nothing as the other elf spoke before she could answer. "Aparently the fire was caused by goblins. Ariel says she saw at least one body so they are probally dead. Not the entire family it would seem though." Celbrandir nodded toward the infant Ariel was holding. "We should probally have someone get the babe too safety, while others deal with the goblins. We should also warn those in the area after the goblin threat has been taken care of."

    As the other elf filled him in, another who had just joined them directed a question at Ariel. "Did you see any other survivors there?" On impulse, she added, "I can go ahead to check - I can get close without them seeing me."

    Ariel shook her head. "If I had seen survivors, I would not have left them. Unless they were inside the house, I doubt it. The bartender did not mention a family." Ariel patted the baby gently. At the other statement, Ariel shrugged her shoulders...and then gritted her teeth as the pain reminded her of the injury.

    "Ah...I would not suggest it. They will probably be on alert..if not moving already. And these are diffrent. Well armed. I have the wound to prove it." Ariel flapped her wings. "I will go fly and tell the others. Then head for the Inn. I cant fight holding her, and I am the fastest." I suggest you get off the road..and wait to see if anything else shows up, until the others catch up, or head back towards them."

    Ariel gently flapped her wings. "You wish me to tell the others anything else?" she asked before she took off flying.


    Tag: Yuul, Mitth, Xan, and others
    Saintheart likes this.
Moderators: Penguinator, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.