a Tiny Final Cut Pro question?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by burkevader, Aug 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: AdamBertocci
  1. burkevader Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Here the mates...been doing all my stuff in Final Cut for over a year now and there is 1 small thing I still can't figure out...probably a no brainer answer.....but a little annoyance.

I do a lot of "copy" and "paste" of FX (especially in my new First person Shooter series with the weapon barrel flash) and then simply modify them for the new frame......I do this especially because the effect is cropped/feathered/color corrected and don't want to re-do it EVERY shot.

So HERES THE QUESTION.....half the time when I "PASTE" it ends up on the timeline in any random layer of video....meaning sometime it will paste on the bottom line covering and deleting a portion of video down there......how can I get it to paste in the line of video I want???....obviously I have 6 or 7 layers of video sometimes stacked in the timeline.

The way I annoyingly solve this is by pasting it wayyyyyy past all the video bars so it doesn't overlay onto the others....then I drag it way back to where I want it.

Sorry for the lengthy message...any help appreciated friends
  2. Zurita-Films Jedi Knight

star 3
    I've run into this 'problem' a ton. I'm running FCP 6 by the way, if it's an edition specific thing. Say you have a muzzle flash in track 6 that you want to copy and paste. No matter where you move the cursor, it will paste into track 6. They stay in the same tracks. So what I do is either move the source clip to the track it will be copied to, copy it, move it back to where it was, then paste the new instance. If I moved a filed from track 6 to track 4, copied it, then moved it back to 6, the pasted clip will be in track 4 since that's where it was at the time of copying.

Another method I use is keeping those tracks assigned to specific types of media. It's more of a sound layering thing, really, but you can use it for video. You have groups of tracks that are only for dialogue, only for sound effects, only for music, etc. You can do the same thing by making a video track a few layers above your footage only for effects. By keeping them up there, you won't mix them up with other clips, like the raw footage.

Hope this was helpful. Happy editing!
  3. AdamBertocci Manager

Manager
    star 7
    I tend to just be careful about the layering of my timeline ? which is good advice anyway ? and when I need to C+P something like that, I just drag the clip up to a high track, copy it, move the original down again. I'm too lazy to actually figure out which track I need it to be on, just get it out of the way, is my motto. :p

Rick McCallum loves you!
  4. burkevader Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Hey thanks both of you for chiming in to help....you mentioned that it typically pastes into the same line as the effect that was copied......well that is the thing....it does sometimes and sometimes it pastes way the frick somewhere else....never can tell where....sometimes will paste down in the first line of video covering the section that was there...so the question stands: is there a way to designate WHERE exactly it pastes to?
  5. Zurita-Films Jedi Knight

star 3
    Sounds like a bug. I'd try updating your OS and the program if you can.
  6. DarkLordZor Jedi Master

Actually, it's probably not a bug. There are a couple different ways you can copy and paste stuff into FCP exactly where you want it.

First, to answer you question, it all depends on which track you have set for your Auto Select track. On the timeline right next to the lock/padlock symbol on the separate tracks, there's another button you can click that sets the Auto Select. Whichever track is selected for that, is the track it's going to paste to. So more than likely you've got different ones set up on Auto Select when you're trying to copy and paste, and that's causing it to go all over.

[image=http://documentation.apple.com/en/finalcutpro/usermanual/Art/S00/S0023_TLV2A5A6paste.png]

Just double click on the auto-select button on the track you want, and then paste away. Just make sure to change it the next time if you want it in a different place.

OR....

You can use the Option button on the keyboard to control it. If you click on an asset in the timeline and then hold down the 'Option' button afteryou've clicked it, it'll create a duplicate of that asset that you can move around freely from there. No copy or pasting required. Hope this helps!
  7. burkevader Jedi Youngling

star 2
    WOW! Now that is the answer I was looking for...especially that "asset" part will be priceless for what I am constantly doing with different FX.....

thanks so much friend
Moderators: AdamBertocci
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.