main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A TMP AU idea

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by LinaOrgana, Dec 3, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LinaOrgana

LinaOrgana Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 22, 2001
    Gee... two acronyms in a row! I feel proud. :D

Anyway, what does everybody think of this... it's rather preliminary at the moment. Just a stray 'why didn't they?' thought I had while watching TPM:

Watto lost everything in the pod race... he said so to Qui-Gon. After selling the racing pod, Anakin suggests using the money to free his mother (Watto stated that a pod wasn't worth two slaves, but since he conceded to betting Anakin against the pod, we can assume it is worth one), thus also going some way to keeping Watto out of bankrupcy (a double good deed, the sort of thing Anakin at that age would like). Watto thoroughly despises these outlanders, but does need the money, so he agrees, and Shmi accompanies them to Coruscant.

The middle of the story is still kind of murky in my mind, but I have some vague ideas about the ending. Shmi stays on Naboo doing some kind of job for Padme (not sure what) while Anakin goes with Qui-Gon for training. There will probably be some hints of romance between Qui-Gon and Shmi. Obi-Wan gets an apprentice of his own and takes her to be trained.

Any thoughts? Or am I blathering (again)?

2. MasterYodaSkywalker

MasterYodaSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 18, 2001
    Hmmmm... sounds like an interesting premise. AU on familiar scenes is always pretty neat. How much have you written? Or is it very preliminary? :)

-MasterYodaSkywalker

3. LinaOrgana

Nov 22, 2001
    I'm just playing with it thus far. I know it starts with the post-pod-race scene, where Watto accuses Qui-Gon of cheating.

4. JediClare

JediClare Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 8, 2001
    I read somewhere (the novelization, I think) that the reason Qui-Gon didn't use the money from selling the Podracer to 'buy' Shmi was that it wasn't enough. But since you pointed out that Watto 'lost everything', it could work. Interesting idea. :)

x Clare x

5. The_Revel

The_Revel Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 17, 2001
    The idea has merit. I think AU stories are cool it stretches the imagination. Would Anakin still fall to the darkside? I think it might have been differant if Qui Gon taught him. As Anakin never had a father Qui Gon would have been a good role model for him

6. LinaOrgana

Nov 22, 2001
    I have this incredibly cute mental picture of Anakin asking Shmi if Qui-Gon's going to be his father now... *wishes there were a [face_ill] or [face_nauseous] or [face_oh_god_too_much_cuteness_it's_killing_me] or something like that*

I'd form a 'Qui-Gon and Shmi should have been a couple' club if I didn't think I'd be the only member.

7. Aftermath

Aftermath Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 18, 2001
    Just one question. *prepares for a beating from all the Qui-Gon fans* How does having Shmi along for the ride prevent Qui-Gon from becoming Sith-cabob? *runs and hides* :)

8. LinaOrgana

Nov 22, 2001
    Hey, you think I know yet? I'm just the author, people! :)

9. Arabwel

Arabwel Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 20, 2001
    I like it... I've read some 'Shimi-comes-along' fics at some point, but this idea is quite intersting one.

Ara
    (Yes, I still hang around...)

10. LinaOrgana

Nov 22, 2001
    Okay, here is a reason why Qui-Gon doesn't die: Because I, as the fanfic author, doth decree that he and Shmi must live happily ever after.

Excuse me, I'm going to go join SMOOCH now. They do say that admitting you need help is the first step to a cure...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.