main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A topic that should be discussed.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Amidala_wannabe, Oct 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amidala_wannabe

Amidala_wannabe Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    I was just on the JC, and noticed that the mods will edit a post if a swear word has one letter to give it away, but when people talk about "just getting some" or making comments along the same lines, its left there for all of us to see.

Now I'm not saying that no one here knows what sex is, nor am I implying that anyone is stupid in anyway shape or form, but I do feel this needs to be addressed just as much if not more then the swearing issue.

Anyone else feel the same?

Ami

2. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I think you're referring to innuendo, and it depends on what's being said as to whether it's edited out or not.

3. Amidala_wannabe

Aug 18, 2001
    I know innuendo, it can be taken one way or another, but when it's posted that they basiclly just had sex, isn't that against TOS?

Just my thoughts

AMi

4. sideshow212

sideshow212 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    so you think its wrong to hint at sexual activity on the boards, but in your sig line you have:
    68, You do me and I owe you one.???

anyways, on the fanforce side, i dont allow sexual innuendo. i know things are a bit more lax in the JCC, but generally IMO, hinting at sexual activities is against the "family friendly" rules of TFN...

of course, it does depend on the severity of the comment. i dont go hunting for the smallest reference, but if its a even close to a glaring reference, i usually put a stop to it.

BTW, hi KW! ;)

5. Amidala_wannabe

Aug 18, 2001
    Gah forgot I still had that there.

But in all seriousness something like that should be pmed about or edited.

If someone is offended by my sig, I'll take it down, its actually something my mum said *don't ask, please*

So if someone is offended isn't that enought?

Ami

Let me know if you want it out of there.

6. sideshow212

sideshow212 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    i agree with you. usually i PM the user and ask them to change it before someone gets offended if possible. you can never tell who is going to be offended by what, so we try to use our best judgement...

7. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Stackpole_The_Hobbit Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Your mum said that? Do tell :p

j/k

Anyway, I think the 'you have to * out the whole word' thing can be a bit silly. What if you need to have that letter in to clarify? ;)

8. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jansons_Funny_Twin Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 31, 2002

If we were to institute a "if it offends someone get rid of it" policy, the entire forums are done.

Anata Baka?!

9. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
    It's rather interesting how someone's personality can rub off on their significant other.

10. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    people have sex.

sex isn't bad.

11. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    People do lots of things, but I don't see anyone suggesting we should allow breathing onsite.

12. Saint_of_Killers

Feb 18, 2001
    Farraday! We can't talk about a perfectly normal bodily function like breathing here! Children might see it! :eek:

13. Darth_Digital

Darth_Digital Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
    I think the real problem is that some comments get by the "sensors" so to speak, so its perfectly understandable for another to be upset if their "works" were summarily edited.

Personally, if it can be expressed with either subtle wording, or in such a way that a younger viewer wouldn't understand then it really shouldn't be edited.

Providing the content isn't an obvious swear word, racial slur, or anti-religious statment. Freedom of speech is all well and good, but its a fine line not upsetting someone...

14. Saint_of_Killers

Feb 18, 2001
    No need for stuff like that Saint

15. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    but when it's posted that they basiclly just had sex, isn't that against TOS?
    While nobody is suggesting that sex (or any other biological function) is forbidden...I think it is a matter of what can/should be said (in good taste) on a "family-friendly" board such as this.

The problem is everything offends somebody these days...and you just can't please everyone. All we Mods can do is use our best judgment about what is/isn't offensive to the vast majority of people.

Case in point, I just edited Saint's last post...nothing against him personally, just that the comment made to Darth_Digital was unnecessary (cause a fight) that would take away from the the topic of this thread.

16. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Providing the content isn't... [an] anti-religious statment. Freedom of speech is all well and good, but its a fine line not upsetting someone...

is this the jedi christian forums?

(jedi christian = jc = roofle)

17. Devils-Advocate

Devils-Advocate Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 3, 2003
    //I think the real problem is that some comments get by the "sensors" so to speak, so its perfectly understandable for another to be upset if their "works" were summarily edited.

Very little gets by the censors, even when the forums had only a few moderators, all threads are read every day pretty much. So if you see a comment and it hasn't been editted, that pretty much means it's been read, and deemed 'appropriate'.

//Personally, if it can be expressed with either subtle wording, or in such a way that a younger viewer wouldn't understand then it really shouldn't be edited.

The youngest viewer here is in theory, 13. If they don't get sexual innuendo by now, we've got problems, our species is going to die out :p And whether or not something is objectionable should not be based on the ability of others to understand it. I can tell you to go **** yourself in Lebanese...doesn't mean that makes it family-friendly.

//Providing the content isn't an obvious swear word, racial slur, or anti-religious statment.

So basically, if it's about sex, leave it, if it's not, take it down. Viva la Sexual Revolution.

//Freedom of speech is all well and good, but its a fine line not upsetting someone...

It's a private messageboard, this isn't about freedom of speech. It's about what Joshua Griffen, or shareholders (Do we even have those? ?[face_plain] ) decide he wants to be allowed. It's arbitrary, he can say no jokes about obesity if he wants, and allow full frontal nudity links.

At the end of the day, it's not about "How come I can't say **** (Except in the context of the film ******* Åmål, the one form it is allowed to be used on the boards ;) ) and he can say "Dushoni gave me the loving"".

It's about Drama

18. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000
    I understand where you're coming from, Amidala, but I think the JC does an excellant job of taking care of innuendo. My problems stem from certain JCer's beliefs regarding sex, not the explicit or the amount of discussion about it here. Maybe that's what you're responding to, as well? Because there's nothing here that wouldn't be in a PG-13 movie, and that's what we're shotting for with PG-13 forums.

But I dunno...I guess I sorta didn't get exactly what you were complaining about.

19. The_Anakin_Wannabe

The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2003
    Because there's nothing here that wouldn't be in a PG-13 movie, and that's what we're shotting for with PG-13 forums.

Your right. But there are things in a PG-13 movie that arent allowed in here. [face_plain]

Hell, there are things that we can't do that, but yet they are seen in childrens movies.

20. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000
    true, likle use the letter "eff". :confused:

I do actually have a problem with that rule. There does seem to be some sort of fanaticism there. I understand not allowing the "eff" word in all it's glory, this I agree with 100%. Even starring all the word out, I think it's accessive, but understandable.

But not allowing the abbreviation? Which could just as easily me the abbreviation for What the freak? Or even what the football!?!

I mean what is *with* that?

21. Jjanda_Solo

Jjanda_Solo Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2001
    I thougth the forums were supposed to be PG, not PG-13. Everyone was campaigning for PG-13, but I thought they were PG. I don't really know though.

22. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    It's "family friendly", as opposed to PG or PG-13.

23. JediStrider

JediStrider Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 18, 2002
    My problems stem from certain JCer's beliefs regarding sex, not the explicit or the amount of discussion about it here. Maybe that's what you're responding to, as well?

Beliefs on sex should not be an issue, seeing as how a belief cannot be moderated, regardless of the problem you have with it.

24. DarthBane420

DarthBane420 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 13, 2003
    KW,
    How would you, or does TFN, specifically define the term family friendly?

25. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    That term is most definitely subjective and it means different things to different people. In some ways, it's a living definition that gets redefined daily. We're going to be inconsistent, but we're always striving to minimize it. I think we have the basic right, left, up, and down boundaries that we all agree with. It's those outliers that we sometimes aren't entirely sure of. Society as a whole continues to widen that boundary. To me, I use the films as a guide. But I mod the 3SA, so I have a different perspective.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.