main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Tougher stance on Self-promotion, and lies, Please!

Discussion in 'Communications' started by JediMaster22, Aug 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    There is a certain person on this forum (who I'll be nice to not name him/her), who does this ALL THE TIME. I think you know who this person I am talking about. (If any of you Mods seriously don't know who I am talking about, ask me in the PM)

Yet this person's thread is always allowed open! People would question/doubt what this person says, from the start, but thread originator just never proofs what he/she says. (OF Course, because this person doesn't have any!) And, the thread is bumped up by the thread originater Over and Over, to promote himself (Getting ALL the attention).

Why does this happen? Does the person get special threatment? I am not hating this person, but isn't it kinda against the rules? Why not be tougher on this?

Or, this kind of behavior is not against the rules, as long as it's not against the TOS?

JM22, I really don't see this thread becoming one that can be solved through a discussion here. If you'd like to go through specifics, please PM me and I'd be happy to talk about them with you.

2. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    There's a difference between breaking the TOS and being annoying. If we crack down on annoyance (which is usually subjective) this place would go downhill pretty quickly.

3. JediMaster22

Oct 15, 1999
    I am NOT just talking about annoyance.

I am talking about appearant lies and getting attention from things that's considered a lie by people.

If I lie about I met Natalie Portman and slept with her, and I am getting 10 pages on this topic, don't you think it's extreme? I probably WOULDN'T get away with it, but this person Does, it seems.

4. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    I am talking about appearant lies and getting attention from things that's considered a lie by people.

So you're suggesting we take action based on these things?

5. JediMaster22

Oct 15, 1999
    From my understanding, intentionally lying IS against the TOS.

6. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Read your post again.

You know, it's just what this person says, we can't prove he/she is lying either, but we know this person IS lying, just can't prove it!

So why don't you just ignore it? People only say such things to get this kind of reaction out of you.

I agree that there are certain users who can be really annoying, but it still isn't breaking the TOS, so what can you do?

7. JediMaster22

Oct 15, 1999
    You know, it's just what this person says, we can't prove he/she is lying either, but we know this person IS lying, just can't prove it! Sometimes it's COMMON SENSE to know it IS though!

so what can you do?

Can we ask PPOR?

8. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Can we ask PPOR?

And if they don't? It's hardly grounds for locking/banning.

Why is it so important? Just ignore it and let them live out their fantasy world by themselves.

9. JediMaster22

Oct 15, 1999
    I think common sense tells me that, if anyone wants to truly brag about themselves did this or that, and it IS the truth, it WOULD NOT be hard to provide proofs for it!

If I want to brag I have a HOT GF, you WILL see a pic.

If not, then you will NOT see me self-promote!

10. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    but we know this person IS lying, just can't prove it!

How can you possibly know that someone is lying if you can't prove it to yourself or others ? It is just your personal belief rather than actual fact.

11. JediMaster22

Oct 15, 1999
    I don't know, but a lot of it is just common sense. If I say I met Natalie Portman and went out with her, and if you ask me for a picture, I can say I forgot to take a picture. Still doesn't mean I am telling the truth!

I am out of wits about how to handle this, but this is a serious concern I bring up to JC Communications. :)

And hope the Modsquad can figure out what to do about these things.

12. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    I don't know, but if I say I met Natalie Portman and went out with her, and if you ask me for a picture, I can say I forgot to take a picture. Still doesn't mean I am telling the truth!

JC users probably wouldn't believe you unless you had some sort of evidence - I'd be unhappy if anyone outright called you a liar as that isn't very nice.

However, if you said you went out with her in your home town, and it turns out she's been filming in New Zealand for the past month then it far less likely that your story is true.

Without evidence either way it is very difficult to be able to take action.

Would you like us to investigate claims everyone makes in every post to check for lies ?
    Would you like us to ban anyone who can't back up anything they say with evidence ?

Should I start asking FateNabarrie to take pictures of her lunch every day to prove she isn't telling lies in the "What did Fate have for lunch today?" thread ?

What exactly is it that you'd like us to do ?

13. JediMaster22

Oct 15, 1999
    So, what you are saying is Modsqud can NOT do anything about this?

Actually, it doesn't bug me much personally. I can be cool!

But you know, if you DON'T do something about this, this person will KEEP doing it to gain attention to ALL him/herself!

And, other people will begin to see that you don't have a policy against this, so they will begin to do it too! And, that's NOT good for the JC, does it? :)

14. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    So, what you are saying is Modsqud can NOT do anything about this?

I said nothing like that at all. Besides I can't speak for the ModSquad, but only for myself.

I asked you to tell us what you'd like to see done.

Can your provide examples of exactly what you are talking about - ie someone posting out-and-out lies which you can prove are lies ?

If you can provide examples, and suggest what you'd like done about it then I am more than happy to try and help you.

15. JediMaster22

Oct 15, 1999
    You can see that I have been avoiding name and even the gender of the person who does this (And I am doing this, because I am trying to be NICE), but you should know who I am talking about. If you don't, like I said, PM for the name (MOD only please).

I think it's pretty evident what this person posts.

16. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    If you have problems with another user, it would be best to ignore them and develop a thicker skin if possible. If someone isn't breaking the rules, we cannot and have no right to punish them. Otherwise, feel free to PM malkie or I and we'll do our best to address the problem. :cool:

17. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    I think I know who you are talking about - infact I'm pretty sure. The problem is that it is impossible to prove one way or the other when someone makes a claim on the JC.

Obviously, anyone with photographic evidence or such like has a strong case, but this isn't available all the time.

What I suggest is that you ask anyone who makes a claim to provide some form of evidence. If they say they have a hot girlfriend, then ask to see a photo of them together. If they can't, or try to fob you off, then simply say you don't believe them and ignore any futher comments they make.

Just ignore them - they will go away eventually. I'm not happy with the idea of people posting outright lies on the JC, but we have to give them the benefit of the doubt in situations where the truth cannot be proven.

Meanwhile - try reading the evolution vs creation debate in the Senate to see how bad this sort of situation can get.

18. JediMaster22

Oct 15, 1999
    Dash, I don't have personal problems with this user, but sometimes (Like everyone else) I will subtly tease the person.

As all of you know, I do NOT have a history of flaming users. I just think it may affect JC negatively amd that's all my concern is about! Thanks though for listening :)

19. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    I would have to agree with Dashy here, in all of his hyphenated widsom.

In fact, taking this a step further, what I find annoying is when people create Comms threads that are nothing more than thinly disguised flames against other members.

Of course, even though everyone knows who they are talking about, they will slyly add in "but I won't mention any names, because I just want to be helpful.."

It isn't fair to the person who is the focus, and it isn't fair to the people who have to respond.

But hey, that's just me. I also find Ben Affleck movies annoying, but they are a pain I have to endure.

20. JediMaster22

Oct 15, 1999
    what I find annoying is when people create Comms threads that are nothing more than thinly disguised flames against other members.

No, you got it Wrong.

Trust me, I am NOT trying to flame the user one way or another. I am NOT that type of person! If you people don't have problem with this person, and why should I?

I am seriously trying to help the JC. :)

It isn't fair to the person who is the focus, and it isn't fair to the people who have to respond.

If you done nothing wrong like what I am talking about, then you shouldn't worry I am talking about you, it's NOT you. :)

21. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    If you done nothing wrong like what I am talking about, then you shouldn't worry I am talking about you, it's NOT you.

Yes, thank you..

I know who you are referring to, and that's what makes it so unfair.

You can be as obtuse as you want, because you are shrouding the issue under pseudo-anonymity.

Does this "person" have a chance to respond? Are the characterizations even accurate?

True or untrue, making accusations that are just vague enough isn't productive.

That's the beauty of it, isn't it?

If you really wanted to be helpful, you would have:

1)sent a PM to a JCC mod
    2)specifically detailed the nature of your concern
    3)waited to see what feedback you received.

Oh, wait..why did I mention JCC mods? We don't know who this person is supposed to be right?

22. JediMaster22

Oct 15, 1999
    Well, it's just like people raises an issue on people posting crappy topics.

No one is named specifically, (it could be me, or you, or someone else that this person is talking about) but this does NOT mean an issue can not be raised and for ModSquad and JC communication to think of a better way to handle this :)

As I said

1) I will be nice to not name the person, if you ( mod only please) want to know who I am talking about, PM me.

2) This is NOTHING personal whatsoever, I just think what this person does negatively affect the JC. However, if you the Mods think this is NOT a problem, then I don't care either.

3) I don't know how to handle this, but the prior responses by Malkie was right though. It IS often hard to prove someone is lying. You think they are lying, but you just can't proof it. What can you do? Personally I am OUT of wit to how to handle this

4) I don't appreciate anyone accuse ME of trying to flame this user, subtly, because I am NOT!

You can either let this thread die, if you don't find it to be a problem. Or discuss it futher, if you agree with me.

23. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Well, if you want to help, why don't you PM the person and discuss this with him/her directly? I'm not about to start banning people from starting topics that may or may not be true. There are plenty of topics on the boards that are stretches of the truth or out and out jokes. How can we possibly know if someone really did take an African cruise and wrestled a lioness? We can't.

I continue to say that if you don't like a thread, don't post. It's very simple. If someone posts threads that users don't like, it would be far easier not to post in them than let them continue on.

24. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    From my understanding, intentionally lying IS against the TOS.

I was under the impression the knowingly false clause of the TOS was more pertaining to spoilers than anything else, not the random nonsense in the JCC.

Amazing.

25. carmenite42

carmenite42 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    If you want to get mad at anyone, get mad at the people who give him/her attention in such a way that they continue posting they (for example) are underage and having sex with their underage girlfriend.

Nobody's breaking the rules. But this person is obviously getting the attention they want from the thread, so it's just as much the fault of the people that are giving the attention as the person who's begging for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.