main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Tougher stance on Self-promotion, and lies, Please!

Discussion in 'Communications' started by JediMaster22, Aug 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Nobody's breaking the rules. But this person is obviously getting the attention they want from the thread, so it's just as much the fault of the people that are giving the attention as the person who's begging for it.

Exactly. Making threads like this and creating unnecessary drama will only fuel what you're trying to extinguish.

2. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    JediMaster22, have you brought your concerns to the individual in question? Have you brought these concerns to any other mod who may be able to help as a third party with the potential of working things out before starting a Comms thread? Or has this behaviour continued without a heads up from anyone be it a post or PM and the first course of action was a Comms thread?

3. comet1440

comet1440 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 25, 2004
    is the person everyone is talking about here me ?

4. SLR

SLR Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2002
    I think the best way to handle these things is to ignore the user's posts and threads. Such user's are attention seekers. Deny them the attention they are craving, and they will go away. The fact of the matter is is that these types of users are not violating the TOS. It is not against the rules to be annoying attention craver. We as a community are better off ignoring these users then engaging in flame and bait wars. This only feeds them the attention that they desire. Our best course is to completely ignore these annoying users. If we ignore, then their threads will sink and they will either change their posting habits or stop posting all together. The power is in our hands on this one.

5. carmenite42

carmenite42 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    I don't think anyone will mention any names, however if you see yourself in the descriptions posted here, that's something to think about. Saying no names is actually a good thing, because it keeps everyone wondering "is it me?" and makes them examine their posting style to see if they fit the profile.

6. comet1440

Jan 25, 2004
    everyone might as well say my name it is obvious that it is me . unless it is someone who is an exact copy of me .

if you dont like me dont read or post in my threads , and dont read my posts .

7. carmenite42

Jul 21, 2003
    everyone might as well say my name it is obvious that it is me . unless it is someone who is an exact copy of me .

It's interesting that you say that, comet, since JM22 says his unnamed person is lying. Does that mean that you're admitting that you've been lying?

8. comet1440

Jan 25, 2004
    It's interesting that you say that, comet, since JM22 says his unnamed person is lying. Does that mean that you're admitting that you've been lying?

im not reffering to his posts , but some other posts .

they continue posting they (for example) are underage and having sex with their underage girlfriend.

That gave it away .

9. carmenite42

Jul 21, 2003
    There are plenty of posts that talk about underage people having sex with underage people.

My earlier comment still stands. If you see yourself in the posting patterns described, that's something to think about. If you don't, then tis all good :)

No names need to be mentioned - that's not the point of this thread.

10. comet1440

Jan 25, 2004
    It will be easier to resolve this if you state the user and not just the behavior .

11. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Ok, Comet you post this about me the other night..

"her comments werent bad enough for a ban , therefore I continued to see If I could push her over the edge .

I am a baiting professional"

Perhaps the mods should take a tougher stance on people that are openly, and intentionally baiting other users for the sole purpose of getting them banned?

12. k3po

k3po Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 21, 2001
    What I find really funny is that not one persons name was mentioned, but the mods that have responded said they know who this thread is in refrence too. Obviously this is a problem.

13. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    That particular comment was noted and the situation was dealt with.

Let me make it clear that baiting is an offense we take seriously, and we will ban anyone who attempts to bait someone into saying something nasty. I urge you to take the higher ground and PM any mod with a link to the comment. They'll get banned, and you'll have peace and quiet in which ever forum you frequent.

14. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    "I urge you to take the higher ground and PM any mod with a link to the comment. They'll get banned, and you'll have peace and quiet in which ever forum you frequent.

Which is all good and well Malkie, but I haven't seen that enforced on this user yet.

I did PM a mod over the comment above, as well as Pming a different mod when Comet made a violent threat to another user in the JC. He recieved a banning for neither offense.

15. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    It's actually NOT you comet :), and the reason for my absence in responding is because I get the attitude that nothing can be done about this, so nothing else I say can matter right?

And besides trying to be nice, I don't name the person's name because I don't want to give this specific person any more attention.

It's NOT about personal business, it's about fixing the problem as A WHOLE!

Comet: as I said, the person I orginally talk about is NOT you, but if you think I been talking about you, then you are admitting you fall under the "I am trying to self-promote and telling lies to get the attention" group I am talking about?

16. k3po

k3po Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 21, 2001
  17. JediMaster22

Oct 15, 1999
    What's the 'liar' smiley for, k3po? :confused:

I was under the impression the knowingly false clause of the TOS was more pertaining to spoilers than anything else, not the random nonsense in the JCC.

No, I think it applies to JCC, and every board on here.

I think that lying to gain yourself popularity is the WORST topics ever...

It's just a matter of proofing what this person says is lie or fact.

If proven, then this person should get a ban.

If not, unfortunately, I don't know what can be done... and that's the purpose of THIS thread!

I like the idea of ignoring this person, but you know sometimes I ignore, others don't!

18. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    I think that lying to gain yourself popularity is the WORST topics ever...

Wait... lying makes you popular now? [face_thinking]

19. JK33

JK33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2003
    I don't think anyone will mention any names, however if you see yourself in the descriptions posted here, that's something to think about. Saying no names is actually a good thing, because it keeps everyone wondering "is it me?" and makes them examine their posting style to see if they fit the profile.

Well said. Unfortunately, names have been mentioned now, and this thread threatens to turn into an argument between the acuser and the acusee. Still, we should all "examine our posting styles." We all break rules periodically, and by scrutinizing ourselves first, we may be able to post in a more respectful manner.

20. JediMaster22

Oct 15, 1999
    I mean, Popular in terms of your thread get a tons of replies, not necessarily that people will like you.

>names have been mentioned now, and this thread threatens to turn into an argument between the acuser and the acusee<

Ummm, no one (especially NOT me) have named names. It was Comet who asked "is it me".

But, I just told you guys, it WASN'T him. However, if he clearly feel he is in the same group I refer to, then he should definately consider better posting habits. :)

21. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Oh, ignore it if you must, but i'm cirtain we all know perfectly well who this individual is. Now under the circumstances, the mods here have to protect this individual to a cirtain extent.

Strange. About 2 years ago i made a cirtain thread in the JCC just messing around. I was hoping it would turn into sort of a drooling fan club but instead i got a month long slap on the wrist and yet this individual can keep multiple threads open where the lie is apparant. Hmmm. Let me think...it seems a little strange that a regular user would get banned for it while this fella gets away with it. [face_plain]

22. comet1440

Jan 25, 2004
    well if its not me , then I have no possible clue as to who it could be . could someone pm me or something ? . the only way this is going to be resolved is if the user knows that this is about him/her so he/she can see how people feel about him/her and his/her behavior . otherwise this thread will accomplish nothing because in the end the person at fault wont know this about him/her and will be unaware that everyone wants him/her to change . so basically you can complain for 30 pages but when your done you will still be where you were when you started .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.