main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A tragedy in the saga that is often overlooked: The twins not getting to know their parents

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth Sin, Mar 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Sin

Darth Sin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 14, 1999
    There is no doubt that the fall of Anakin Skywalker is the major tragedy of the Star Wars saga, and the demise of his marriage to Padme/Amidala.

Then there is the tragedy of the fall of the Republic and destruction and end of the Jedi order.

But one tragedy that is often overlooked is that of Luke and Leia never really getting to know their parents.

Leia only has vague memories of Padme-Amidala. Just images and feelings. She was beautiful, but sad

Luke had no memories of Amidala.

Luke basically only gets to meet and know his father mainly as Darth Vader. He gets to meet his father, Anakin Skywalker as he is about to die. Though Anakin is saved, Luke only got to know his real father briefly, then had watch him die.

Likewise, Leia basically never knew her real father in that of Anakin, and only got to realize the truth upon hearing it from Luke.

She never got the opportunity to see Anakin's face or talk to him. Her only memory of her real father would be that of the evil lord, Darth Vader.

So Luke and Leia never really got to know their real parents. What a tragedy, though they do go on in life, and create a new future and legacy for the Skywalker family.

How great it would have been had Leia got to see her real father face-to-face as Luke did. Too bad Anakin died before she could meet him.

I do wish Lucas had allowed Anakin to live long enough for Leia to meet him. :( :_| And how I wish Anakin could have said not only "Tell your sister...., to Luke, but also say, "My daughter"

Darth Sin! :cool:

2. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    This is what I always think about when I hear Luke&Leia´s theme in ROTJ. It´s so sad! :_|

3. The_Anakin_Wannabe

The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2003
    And how I wish Anakin could have said not only "Tell your sister...., to Luke, but also say, "My daughter"

That would be good now that you've mentioned it.

I've always wondered when Luke revealed his bloodlines to Leia whether she comprehended that Vader was her father. She seemed bewildered when Luke said they were twins, even though she said that she has always known.

4. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    I think she did. In the novel, he even says:

- I have to try. He´s our father.

I wonder if the latter part of that line was ever recorded for the film. It would be great to have it added!

5. Darth Sin

Oct 14, 1999
    I am one that for the most stays away from criticizing Lucas when it comes to "his" story. Because after all, it is his story and I am most thankful for Star Wars, and just the privilege of having experienced it in my life, and now my children have gotten this same opportunity, and they are enjoying it as well.

But when it came down to the end concerning Luke and Leia and Anakin turning back to the good side; I think Lucas missed a great opportunity in Leia not at least getting to meet and see her father before he died.

And I also agree that the scene in which Luke reveals to Leia that they are brother and sister, and that Vader is his father, this would have been a great opportunity to have not only Leia to truly know Luke was her brother, but Vader was her father, which should have sparked some inquiry from her.

The reason I say this, is that Luke asked about their mother, of which Leia told him what she did know. By the same token, it would have made sense for Leia to inquire about their father.

Just think, Leia said, "I wish I could go with you" Though it was best that she did not go with Luke, I wish she had arrived when Luke was taking off Vader's mask and got to see the face of the father she had never known, and at least got to look into each other's eyes, and at least say something like, "You look so much like your mother" or "You are as beautiful as your mother" :_| :(

Well so much for that! :D

The main point is that the twins never really got to know their parents.

6. Izird

Izird Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
    Yes, it is very sad. Yet this tragedy is one of the many things that makes Star Wars as incredible as it is! :)

7. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    I agree it is sad that Leia never met her father as Anakin but I think the story works better as it is. Luke's struggle with his father's past is a major aspect of his character. The father-son theme is developed with the Vader-Luke relationship from the first movie and having Leia in that final scene would distract from the father-son resolution.

8. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    I agree with Latorski. Besides, the sadder the better. It wouldn´t have been nearly as sad if Leia had actually met Anakin!

9. amien

amien Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2002
    I've never liked the Luke-Leia twin idea. It just seems rushed and thrown in as another "shocking twist". The father-son theme in Star Wars is important, and once you toss in another relative at the last minute .. it gets complicated. Maybe if the Leia being his twin idea was more developed; but it seems like the only things we get are the discussion on Endor, and a few "I can feel him!" sorta things. I know they're distracted with the war and such...but really, it never seems to jump out at me as 'important'.

It would be cool for Leia to see Anakin, but then again, she never really cared about him as Luke did. I agree, it would take away from the Luke/Anakin ending.

Anyway, it is sad that the twins never know their parents. I guess that's what fanfics are for, though.

10. Darth Sin

Oct 14, 1999
    That is interesting in itself, because Luke basically winds up saving his father that he does not really get to know. But yet Luke senses there is still good left in him, and this becomes Luke's motivation to try and turn him back to the good side, when for the most part Obi-Wan talks as if he is unredeemable.

I think it would have been interesting had in the OT, that Anakin was the Chosen One and this had become part of Luke's motivation as well in trying to save him.

When you now view the Prequels and hear that Anakin is the Chosen One, it makes you wonder why this was not communicated to Luke. But I guess it would have been irrelevant had he known this, and who knows, maybe Yoda and Obi-Wan had come to believe Anakin likely was not the Chosen One, or that he aborted his destiny in turning to the dark side.

Lastly, inreference to what others have said, I do agree that it did appear that Luke and Leia as twins was not well done and somewhat rushed, because where this revelation should have had a great impact, it actually did little or nothing in terms of Leia.

Luke learning that Leia was his sister became a tool for Vader when he reads Luke's thoughts to try and further tempt Luke by implying maybe he would turn her to the dark side if he did not turn.

This very knowledge almost became a tool that caused Luke to become dangerously close to turning to the dark side, but in return it became the vehicle that led to Vader/Anakin turning back to the good.

11. Jovieve

Jovieve Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    As the twins never really knew their parents, it's only a tragedy from our POV. It's like someone showing you a picture of a distant relative you never knew. You had 'parents' Bail and wife, Owen and Beru who were there wiping your brow when you were sick, feeding and caring for you, listening to all the childish heartaches over the years...

The effected person might just shrug and say, oh, well.

I never liked Luke cozying up to Vader/Anakin so quickly. A man who turns once could easily turn again. He's weak, that's why he turned in the first place. Luke would have had to have kept a close eye on him had he lived.

Vader throwing the emperor down the drain does not IMHO make up for the billions of lives lost and entire institutions destroyed because of him.

12. MrMan77

MrMan77 Jedi Youngling

Feb 24, 2003
    Padme has brief memories of her mother.
    Luke will have brief memories of his father.
    Tragic? Yes. But there is balance in the force.

13. Sophita

Sophita Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    I always thought that was one of the bigger tragedies of Anakin going ot the DS and Obi-Wan/Yoda deciding to hide the twins.

However, I think it goes both ways, too; Anakin and Padme never really got the chance to know their children. Padme has to give Luke to Owen/Beru, and she doesn't seem to have been with Leia very long. Vader never knows about either of his children until they're well into their twenties-and Leia he doesn't hear about until his dying day. I think that's terribly tragic; especially since as a parent, there's absolutely nothing scarying then losing your children.

14. Falls_the_Shadow

Falls_the_Shadow Jedi Youngling star 3

May 31, 2002
    The interaction between Anakin/Vader and Leia is depressingly wonderful in light of the PT. From ROTJ, we know that he tortured unknowingly his own daughter and but for the heroics of Kenobi, Luke, Han, Chewie, the droids, and later the rebels, he would have brought her death.

With the PT, we see just how far Vader has strayed from his Anakin roots. First, he was the child who loved his mother and who came to the aid of another royal woman defending her people. Later, in AOTC, he was driven to protect these same two. Ironically, he descent to the Dark Side comes in his failure and grief over his mother. Perhaps the point of no return was when he struck the first Tusken child, woman, or elder.

That there is no reconciliation in this life between father and daughter is just another price of the Dark Side. Anakin?s walk on the Dark Side severs him from his natural and Jedi family, from the nature as embodied in Naboo, and from his own body. He gave up all connection with the material world.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.