main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends A Twist of Fate - Kyp/Jaina, Jag (AU , NJO, RD/RS) *** AUTHOR'S MESSAGE 2/20/09 ***

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Abby, May 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Abby

Abby Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Title: A Twist of Fate
    Author(s): Abby
    Timeframe: NJO, Rebel Dream
    Characters: Kyp/Jaina, Jag
    Genre: AU
    Keywords: K/J
    Summary: During Rebel Dream, Jaina risks her life to save Jag Fel's. What would happen if it wasn't Jag's life Jaina saved, but Kyp Durron's?

Notes:Because of changes in PM rules, I have created a PM list for notification of updates. If you would like a PM and aren't on the list, please let me know. If you are on the list and would rather not be PMed, also please let me know.

Jaina_Solo_Fel
    GoddessJainaSoloFel
    Jenth_Zere
    Ars_Longa
    DantanaSkywalker
    Jadie
    hollynkesten
    Babi_Tahiri
    FireyForce
    Rowan_Jade
    Kazzy
    Jaina_Solo_16
    master_jade
    C3SoloP0
    Jag_Jaina_Fel
    Durroness
    AvaVisarra
    Darth_Intangable
    Handmaiden_Azul
    ikarit
    PHGS_Weyr
    JainaRox
    JediXManSerenaKenobi
    skywalkerlover00
    _sticks
    Lanta

DISCLAIMER

#1 ? Nearly all of this first post belongs to Aaron Allston (Rebel Dream, pages 230-244). Some of it is paraphrased, some parts are in Allston?s words, I have skipped over some bits, and I have made some changes that reflect what happens in my story. So if you see something you recognize, it?s likely because you read it in Rebel Dream. Not much in this first post is mine, and of course, my paraphrasing is mostly for the sake of brevity and to set the stage for my version of the events (to remind you where it takes place).

Also, a bit of the second post is based on Allston?s writing (the part about Jaina wanting people to stop going away).

#2 ? I don?t own Star Wars or any of the characters and I?m not making a cent off of this.

This takes place during Rebel Dream, only it wasn?t Jag?s life Jaina risked her own to save, it was Kyp?s.

Part I

*~*

The hologram glowed in the centre of the control chamber, displaying the mission zone, which had suddenly turned from a scene of relatively controlled and predictable combat, to one that was rapidly spiralling out of control.

?We screwed up,? Wedge said, standing, as usual during a mission of such importance, beside the hologram.

Tycho Celchu nodded, looking glum. He didn?t elaborate on Wedge?s words.

He didn?t need to. The two of them had had the mission and the Yuuzhan Vong response plotted out in great detail. The Yuuzhan Vong would, at some point, make an attempt to grab the Starlancer vehicles. The pilots of the pipefighters would be theoretically able to detach their cockpits, which had their own rudimentary thrusters, and escape, destroying the pipe assemblies with primitive mechanical self-destruct systems that were unlikely to be affected by enemy countermeasures, leaving behind just enough clues to give the Yuuzhan Vong a hint of what was going on.

But that whole approach assumed that the Starlancers would be the Yuuzhan Vong target. Instead, it appeared that Jaina Solo was the target.

And since only Jaina?s squadron had been attacked in this fashion, it meant that Yuuzhan Vong spotters on the ground or in Borleias orbit had identified her and correctly determined her course, suggesting that they were even more on the ball than Wedge and Tycho had guessed.

?How long before we can get anyone to her?? Wedge asked.

Tycho shrugged. ?Two minutes to get the frigate Lunar Tide to the site. And that?ll just get Lunar Tide destroyed. Five minutes for the task force now leaving Borleais?s mass shadow.?

Wedge considered his options, weighing the risks verses the benefits. ?Tell Lunar Tide to get into position to jump?but not jump until we give the order. They?ll wait for the task force unless we say otherwise.?

Tycho nodded and turned to his comm board.

With the discipline of decades, Wedge was able to conceal the way his decision tied his insides up in knots, and he prayed that he wouldn?t have to tell Han and Leia that he?d doomed their daughter.

*~*

Jaina Solo grimaced as she added up the numbers. Her sensor board suggested that the eleven Twin Suns pilots now faced five times as many ships.

?I can get the

2. Abby

Abby Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Part II

*~*
    Jaina trudged along behind Jag as he led the way toward the conference room, his pace quick and determined, his face once again as unreadable as ever. Kyp was behind her, struggling to keep up with the pace Jag had set. She couldn?t read him either ? whatever he was feeling he managed to shield from her, despite his sheer exhaustion.

Already she was dreading what they would say to her. Jag would reprimand her for allowing her emotions to get in the way, for nearly sacrificing the mission, for nearly getting herself killed. He would resign from Twin Suns, she was sure ? the emotionally-controlled Chiss pilot would be unable to serve under someone so careless, so emotional.

Kyp ? well, Kyp was an unknown, unpredictable, and that terrified her.

She knew she was in trouble ? and that Wedge?s punishment had nothing to do with it.

They reached the room, Jag entering first, followed by Jaina and finally Kyp, who closed the door behind them. Jaina stood against the wall, looking anywhere but at Jag or Kyp as the former stood solidly in the centre, while the latter paced the room with heavy strides.

Finally, Kyp stopped pacing and faced her, hands gripping her shoulders. ?What ever possessed you do do something so reckless?? he asked through clenched teeth, his tone angry yet controlled. ?You could have died, Jaina. I?m not worth that, not by a long shot.?

Jaina braced herself against the grip of his hands, the emotion behind his words, and the powerful, not-so-well-blocked ripples of something bombarding her through the Force . ?But??

?And endangered your squadron,? Jag added. ?You-?

?Shut up, Fel.? Kyp snapped, releasing his hold on Jaina to turn and raise a warning finger in the direction of the Chiss pilot. ?I?m not finished yet.?

Kyp turned back to Jaina, finding her looking, if possible, even more miserable than she had before he?d turned away. A part of him hated to do this, but he needed to speak his mind, needed to let her know exactly how careless she had been, what her actions could have cost.

?You almost sacrificed everything, Jaina, everything we?ve worked for here ? the mission, Twin Suns, this damned Goddess illusion that is actually working.? Kyp continued, his gaze intense and searing. ?What in the name of the Force were you thinking??

Jaina felt her lower lip begin to tremble, and forced the rebellious bit of flesh between her teeth to keep it still. She couldn?t meet Kyp?s eyes, not when she felt the heat of his stare boring into her skull. Barely audible, even to herself, Jaina whispered, ?I wasn?t thinking.?

Kyp strained to hear her, and once again took her by the shoulders. ?You weren?t thinking?? he repeated. ?You weren?t thinking! Damn it Jaina, do you know how stupid that was??

Jaina looked up at him then, meeting his blazing glare with her own wavering one. ?Yes!? she cried, backing out of his hold as she Force-shoved him away.

The conference room grew silent, Kyp staring down Jaina as she fought to keep her tears at bay, Jag watching quietly from the corner, having forgotten everything he?d wanted to say to her.

Jaina lost her battle, and turned away from Kyp as her tears began to fall. She leaned her head against the wall, feeling suddenly completely alone. She startled at the gentle hand that set on her shoulder, and slowly turned.

Kyp looked at her, his anger dissipated and replaced with a mixture of confusion and curiosity. He again took her by the shoulders, but with calm, steady hands. ?Then why?? he asked her.

Jaina bit her lip, fighting to see his face through her watering eyes. ?Because,? she whispered, as if reluctantly giving up a precious secret. ?Because I didn?t want you to leave me?I didn?t want you to go away, too.?

Kyp sighed, a mighty sigh wrought from exhaustion ? physical tiredness and mental fatigue ? and from grasping onto an inkling of understanding. ?Jaina,? he said, in disbelief, as it finally sunk in that not only had she risk

3. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Ooh, this should be interesting!

Dana

4. Abby

Abby Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Thanks for replying so quickly!

~Abby~

5. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Actually, I was replying to the first one when you posted the second, LOL!

This looks intruiging. I always liked "What if . . .?" when applied to K/J. :D

Dana

6. Abby

Abby Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Part III

*~*
    Jaina entered her quarters, not bothering to turn the lights on, and found her way in the dark into her refresher. She pealed out of her flight suit and the layers beneath, dropping the sticky, sweat-soaked garments in a heap on the floor, and entered the shower stall. She closed her eyes, leaning back against the wall while the warmed sonic waves washed away the remnants of battle from her tired body.

She brought a weary hand to her lips, touching them gently where only minutes before, Kyp?s own lips had lingered following an unexpected kiss. Though the events of the battle still tape-looped through her mind, foremost on her thoughts now was that very kiss. All other thoughts settled into a buzzing static in the background that she could, for the moment, ignore.

She didn?t understand, exactly, why he had done it. Part of it, she assumed, could have been an emotional reaction to her risking her own life to save his ? but only part of it. It was more than that, she was sure. For the brief time while they kissed, Kyp had let more of his personal shields slip than he ever had before, likely due to his exhaustion from the battle, and had been positively radiating with sensations Jaina couldn?t begin to decipher. All she knew was they seemed to be directed at her, and that something within her self welcomed it.

Jaina stopped the shower?s cycle and stepped out, walking over her discarded clothes without bothering to pick them up. They could wait. She donned a tank top and a pair of shorts, hold-outs from her civilian life, and climbed wearily into her bunk.

Sleep skirted the edge of her consciousness the moment she closed her eyes, though remained elusive as her thoughts whirled about unchecked. Kyp had kissed her, really kissed her, and no matter how forcefully she tried to tell herself that it went no deeper than gratitude, she remained unconvinced. What had it meant to Kyp? What had it meant to her? She couldn?t sleep now, not when she had so many things to figure out.

But no ? she was tired. She needed to rest now, so she could face Wedge and take whatever scolding he had planned without breaking down and making things worse for herself. Jaina sighed, and rolled over, relenting to the notion to use a Jedi calming technique to sooth her hyperactive mind. She evened out her breathing, and drew on the Force to calm her mind and ease herself into sleep.

*~*

Kyp staggered through the door of his quarters, silently grateful to Jag Fel for offering to speak to Wedge for him. It was probably for the best, anyway ? he was about ready to drift into a coma, so completely exhausted was he, and he doubted the general would have appreciated a comatose Jedi Master cluttering up his desk. Besides, he reasoned, Jag had a better chance of successfully getting the point across, without arousing untoward suspicion.

Kyp shed his flight suit, and the shirt and shorts worn beneath, and looked toward his refresher. He briefly considered a shower, but decided against it and instead fell heavily into his bunk, not bothering to dress. It had been enough of an effort to get undressed.

Kyp rolled onto his back, grimacing as an ache in his shoulder presented itself, and sighed.

Jaina.

Her name, her face, the softness of her lips ? it was all he could think about. He hadn?t intended to kiss her, although he had thought about it more than once in the last few months. Always before his self-restraint had prevailed, when such an action would have been unwelcome. But this time had been different. Jaina had risked her life to save him. Him, Kyp Durron, the pompous, self-absorbed, rogue Jedi with a past so coloured it was nearly blinding, all because she, the beautiful Jaina Solo, daughter of heroes, courageous Goddess, hadn?t wanted him to leave her.

It blew his mind. He?d had no other choice but to kiss her.

And she?d kissed him back. Kyp grinned, remembering how she had run her fingers through his hair, how she had melted into his arms as though she h

7. JainaDurron

JainaDurron Jedi Master star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    Oooo, I like this so far, Abby. :)

~~Jilly

8. Abby

Abby Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Yay! Two people like this so far :D!

Happy Abby :D

9. LumiKuningatar

LumiKuningatar Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Oh, I'm so loving this. I really like the way you're able to display what could've happened if that one thing had changed, how everything would've been totally different... better :D

10. Abby

Abby Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    DantanaSkywalker- Thanks for being the first to read and reply! I like what-ifs, too! And due to my 'soft spot' for Jag, I decided to avoid the Jaina-breaks-up-with-Jag-for-Kyp situation by skipping that relationship all together!

JainaDurron - I think I like this so far, too :) I'm glad to see someone whose stories I've been following checking out my own :D.

LumiKuningatar - Thanks! That's exactly what I was going for! One little thing changes, and everything is different. Thanks for reading!

~Abby~

11. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Jedi_Jaina_Durron Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2001
    I yike. :D

Is it too soon to ask for more?

12. Abby

Abby Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    And here's part Part IV!

*~*

The sound of her comlink, beeping obnoxiously in her ear from a table beside her bunk, finally rousted Jaina from her sleep. She blinked, groaned, and reached for the offending device with sleep-weakened fingers.

?Solo,? she yawned, rubbing her eyes as she slowly sat.

?This is General Antilles,? came Wedge?s voice without preamble. ?Be in my office in five minutes. I?d like a word with you.?

Jaina yawned again. ?Understood, General.?

Wedge deactivated the comm, and Jaina set her comlink back on the table. Right, she thought, this isn?t over yet.

She hurried to dress, gathering her hair back into a tidy ponytail and splashing some water on her face to wake herself up. She pulled on her boots and hurried out the door. Sometimes she hated this whole Goddess illusion ? hurrying to a meeting with her commanding officer, while trying to look like she was leisurely strolling to speak with an underling, was not an easy task.

Jaina reached Wedge?s office with thirty seconds to spare, and waited. Precisely on time, the door to the inner office opened and Wedge poked his head out. Without a word, he gestured for her to come inside. Jaina entered the office and settled into the chair facing the desk as Wedge sat behind it.

For a moment, Wedge simply looked at Jaina, his face unreadable. Then he spoke. ?I don?t think I need to tell you what your actions yesterday could have cost us.?

?No sir,? Jaina replied, meeting his gaze and wishing she could determine his state-of-mind.

Wedge continued. ?And you don?t need to be reminded that you deliberately violated a direct order from a superior.?

Damn it, Wedge, give me a clue, here! ?No sir,?

Expression still neutral, voice remaining even, Wedge added, ?You were irrational and reckless, and I should take you off active duty.?

Jaina swallowed hard, forcing herself to remain dignified. ?Yes sir.? she replied, weakly. So that was where his mind was sitting.

Again, Wedge simply looked at her with his non-expression, perhaps awaiting her reaction. When she offered none, save for her steadfast resolve not to, Wedge finally smiled. ?But I?m not going to.?

It took a moment for his words to penetrate, but when she finally heard them, Jaina blinked, shook her head, and regarded him with an incredulous look. ?You?re not?? she asked, dispensing with formalities.

?No, Jaina, I?m not.? Wedge confirmed. ?I fully planned on it, mind you, but my talk with Colonel Fel last night??

Jaina wondered if she had heard him right. Jag? But Kyp was going to ? Oh, Gods, Jag was there the whole time! But then why?shut up Jaina, Wedge is talking to you and it?s in your best interest to listen. She snapped her mind back to the present, in time to catch the last of Wedge?s speech.

??assured me that it won?t happen again. But I also need that assurance from you, Jaina.?

?You have it.? Jaina replied, without hesitation.

Wedge paused again, allowing silence to fill the room for several seconds. ?Good,? he told her finally. ?I ought to reprimand you, you know,? he added, letting his air of command slip for a moment to speak frankly with the daughter of old friends.

Jaina smiled. ?It would not be unexpected.?

?But from what Jag tells me, you?ve already received quite an adequate tongue-lashing from Kyp Durron.? Wedge said.

Does he realize the irony behind his choice of words? ?I have, at that.? she replied, unable to suppress the slight grin tugging at the corners of her mouth.

If Wedge noticed the grin, he chose to ignore it. ?I suppose that will be all, Jaina.? he said.

Jaina rose. ?Thank you, sir,? she said, saluting before turning to leave the office.

Before she opened the door, Wedge said, ?I?m glad you made it back to us, Jaina.?

Jaina spun at his words, wearing a half-smile. ?For the first time in a while, General, I am too.?

*~*

There you go - I'm determined to get this thing written before my plot bunny dies of neglect.

13. Abby

Abby Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    He he he, no I guess it's not too soon to ask after all!

~Abby~

14. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Hee hee hee! I'm sitting here, reading this at the kitchen table on my laptop, and my mother thinks I'm insane! LOL! Tongue-lashing . . .

Dana

15. Abby

Abby Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    I'd hoped for that reaction. I was giggling as I wrote it [face_laugh]

~Abby~

16. Abby

Abby Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Well, off to work I go, here's part Part V

*~*

Jaina left General Antilles? office feeling as though all the weight of the galaxy had suddenly lifted from her shoulders. She laughed aloud to herself, receiving a strange look from a tech who was walking by, but she ignored him. She was still in command of Twin Suns, Wedge wasn?t angry, and she had kissed Kyp Durron.

Whoa. Jaina mentally reversed on her last thought. Had the kiss made her happy? It had definitely done something. She certainly felt happier than she had in some time. She would have to think on that.

An un-goddess-like gurgling, emanating from somewhere in the vicinity of her stomach, snapped Jaina from her reverie. She let Kyp slide into the background of her mind, as the thought of breakfast beat its way to the surface. She headed for the mess hall.

The choice of foodstuffs was bleak, but Jaina was so hungry from having not eaten since a light lunch the day before, that she didn?t care, so long as it was technically edible. She helped herself to a bowl of rather pasty-looking cooked grain cereal, a plate of drippy, over-ripe fruits, and a tall glass of water. She settled at a table in the corner, her back to the doorway, and began to systematically devour her breakfast.

?Does the Goddess wish company??

Having been utterly entranced within her breakfast, Jaina had somehow missed the arrival of the one person she had been thinking about all morning. She looked up from her plate, wearing a smile she couldn?t smother, to find Kyp Durron, holding his own breakfast tray, looking down at her.

Gods, he looks good. ?You may join me.? she replied.

Kyp eased himself into the chair across from her, looking at her with an uncharacteristically silly grin. Gorgeous. ?So,? he said, pushing his grey-streaked dark hair back with one hand, looking as though he was wondering what to say.

?So,? Jaina replied in kind, equally as unsure. What did one say to someone after kissing them for the first time? Especially when it had been so unexpected? Kiss me again?

?Uh, did you sleep okay?? he asked her, finding his voice though silently cursing himself for not coming up with something more dashing to say to her. Real smooth, Durron. Just classy.

?I did,? she replied. Did I just think that? Hmm, I never noticed those brown flecks in his eyes before? ?You??

He shrugged, setting his elbow on the table and resting his head in his hand. ?I slept okay, but I?m still paying for that little trick of mine.? At least I?m alive, though, thanks to you, beautiful.

?Kyp??

?Jaina??

Jaina laughed. ?Oh boy.?

Kyp chuckled with her. ?Yeah.?

?This is awkward,? she continued, wearing the same half-smile she had given Wedge.

?No more so than I had expected,? he told her, matching her smile with one of his own. ?I think we need to have a talk, Jay.?

She nodded. ?I agree, but after we eat. I?m starving.?

Kyp grinned, and reached across the table to take her hand, then raised it to his lips and gently kissed it. ?Your wish is my command, Goddess.?

Is that so, Durron? Jaina felt as though she might faint, she felt so lightheaded at that moment.

That is so, Goddess

Jaina looked at Kyp, realizing instantly that he hadn?t actually spoken the words, but sent them to her through the Force. She hadn?t noticed when she stopped shielding her thoughts from him. The intensity in his eyes as he stared at her made her shiver, but in a decidedly pleasant way. This ?talk? of theirs was going to be interesting.

Kyp broke the spell, suddenly looking over her shoulder. Jaina turned to see Jagged Fel approaching them, an air of uneasiness surrounding him.

?Good morning,? he said, once he reached them, sounding as indifferent as ever, though radiating with the awkwardness of having been the one to witness their kiss. ?Is this seat available, or are you wishing to be left alone??

Jaina glanced at Kyp, who sighed, and pushed the chair out wit

17. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    More! I really like this one. :) It's been ages since a story's instantly hooked me like this. :)

Dana

18. JainaDurron

JainaDurron Jedi Master star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    More! :D i really like this.

~~Jilly

19. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Jedi_Jaina_Durron Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2001
    ?But from what Jag tells me, you?ve already received quite an adequate tongue-lashing from Kyp Durron.? [face_laugh] *giggles hysterically*

Is it too soon to ask for more?

20. LumiKuningatar

Nov 10, 2003
    oh the tongue slashing bit sent me into hysterics.. oh my..

21. Abby

Abby Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Wow, people are actually reading this! Yay!

Happy birthday to me today! I'll hopefully have another post up this afternoon or tonight.

~Abby~

22. red rose knight

red rose knight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2001
    Very nice! :) I loved their awkward start at conversation over breakfast. Of course, I am still stuck back on the ?tongue lashing? comment. [face_laugh]

23. LumiKuningatar

Nov 10, 2003
    Happy birthday to you
    Happy Birthday to youuuuu
    Happy birthday Abby
    Happy birthday to youuuuu..

Hyvää syntymäpäivää
    Joyeux aniversaire Abby.. :D

24. Rowan_Jade

Rowan_Jade Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2003
    Go Abby! It's your Birthday! Go Abby!
    Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!! :D
    What a perfect day for me to find this! And a slap on the wrist to you for not telling me this was here!
    Well, I'll get over the rejection! Any way, what a cute fuzzy little plot bunny you found! Take good care of the little bugger cause he's got a good story goin here! And the plot bunny is obviously as prolific as a regular bunny cause he dun be multiplyin like a mad man over here. Keep it goin bunny!!! :D

~ tongue lashing - HA!!!! HAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAA!!!!!! ROFL [face_laugh] :wiping tears of mirth from my eyes:

~ an un-goddess-like gurgling - HEE HEEE HEEEE! giggle, snicker, chuckle [face_laugh]

Keep it up Abby! You're doing great!
    And I'm not just saying that cause you think I'm insane! :D
    -Ro

25. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Gelir edinor an le!
    Gelir edinor an le!
    Gelir edinor muin Abby!
    Gelir edinor an le!

:D

Dana