main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends A Twist of Fate - Kyp/Jaina, Jag (AU , NJO, RD/RS) *** AUTHOR'S MESSAGE 2/20/09 ***

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Abby, May 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AkyeRae

AkyeRae Jedi Master star 1

Apr 17, 2003
    Happy Birthday, Abby!! And Happy Cinco de Mayo to everyone. I'm totally intrigued by this story, Abby. You've got me hooked!! Can't wait for more. And in the mean time, where's my green chile....

-Akye

2. Abby

Abby Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    DantanaSkywalker - Wow, thanks! I hope I can keep you hooked!

JainaDurron - :D

Jedi_Jaina_Durron - I'm glad that made you laugh. I just had to [face_devil].

LumiKuningatar - yay for hysterics!

Red_rose_knight - Wow, I hooked a mod! Thanks for reading...and replying!

Rowan_Jade - YAY Ro's here! *does happy dance* insanity, be free!!!!! And yes, it's getting hard to walk around in here with all the baby plot bunnies.

AkyeRae - welcome to my story, hope to keep you hooked for some time yet!

EVERYONE Thank you for the happy birthdays! And for your kindness...next post to follow!

~Abby~

3. Abby

Abby Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Part VI

*~*

Jaina lifted her eyes from the soggy lump of mush that was her breakfast to glance around the table. Jag was ignoring her, or at least trying to, by scooping up spoonfuls of his cereal and watching them fall back into the bowl. Kyp, whose own eyes had been intently studying his plate of sausages, looked up to meet Jaina?s as she scanned. They exchanged a small smile, and Jag dropped his spoon.

The three of them had never been so uncomfortable in each other?s presence. What little conversation that existed was limited to closed-ended questions that required one word answers or simple gestures. All efforts to initiate worthwhile discussion had ended as they had begun ? pitifully.

Jag rose from the table without warning, looking not at Kyp or Jaina, but the wall behind them. ?If you will excuse me,? he said, formally. ?I have, uh, things to take care of.?

?Right,? Kyp replied.

Jaina offered him a smile. ?See you later, Jag.?

?Yes,? Jag replied, and then hurried away, leaving his breakfast uneaten on the table.

Kyp snorted. ?Things to take care of.?

?Like getting away from us,? Jaina added. She glanced at the cold gelatinous blob in her bowl, then looked back at Kyp. ?You want to go??

Kyp dropped the sausage he?d been nibbling at and grinned roguishly. ?Thought you?d never ask.?

Kyp stood, his cape billowing majestically behind him, and extended his hand toward her. Jaina accepted the hand, and he pulled her to her feet. He released her hand reluctantly, and gestured toward the door.

?After you, Goddess.?

Jaina led the way through the rows of tables toward the door, Kyp following as closely behind her as he could without drawing attention to them. When they reached the wider hallway outside the mess hall, Kyp moved to walk beside her.

?So?talking,? Jaina said, glancing up at him.

?Yes,? Kyp agreed.

?Where can we go??

Kyp grinned wickedly. ?Well??

?Talking, Durron.? Jaina interrupted, raising her eyebrow and trying to look menacing.

Kyp choked back a laugh. ?Right. On the roof? We?re not likely to be overheard up there.?

?Okay.?

*~*

Jag Fel lay on his back on the floor of the maintenance bay, looking up at the underside of his clawcraft, hydrospanner in hand, listening to the sounds of the techs and mechanics around him, and doing absolutely nothing. Nothing on his fighter was in need of maintenance; he had forgone a night of laying awake in an uncomfortable bunk to work on the ship, and it was now in perfect working order. He was back now, after a few broken hours of sleep, because he needed an escape, someplace to go and think where interruptions would be minimal. His quarters, his first choice, had been far too quiet. So he had come here, to the maintenance bay, to lay beneath a well-maintained fighter and think.

Jaina, he thought, with a sigh, studying the tidy seems on the underside of the TIE pod. If things had been different, would I have even had a chance? The son of a TIE pilot and the daughter of Rebel heroes? I?m no Jedi ? Kyp?s a Jedi ? the Force unnerves me?but you don?t Jaina, you?you ? Jagged, you fool, none of this even matters now!

Frustrated, Jag bashed the hydrospanner into the hull of the clawcraft, first cursing himself for the irrational action and the dent it made in the ship, then swearing again as the rogue spanner landed heavily on his forehead.

What is this girl doing to me? he mused, tossing the hydrospanner in the toolkit. If father could see me now?

Shaking his head at himself, and at the galaxy in general, Jag crawled out from under his ship.

Maybe he would try and get some sleep after all. Thinking was proving to be entirely too dangerous.

*~*

I know, I'm evil, but you're just gonna have to wait for the talking scene until next time [face_devil].

Let me know what you think,

~Abby~

4. JainaDurron

JainaDurron Jedi Master star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    Wonderful!

5. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Good hydrospanner! *pats it*

Just kidding!

Great post, as always. :D You are definitely keeping me hooked. :)

Dana

6. Ars_longa

Ars_longa Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 26, 2004
    This is really good. Keep the work going, please.

A.

7. Rowan_Jade

Rowan_Jade Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2003
    Yay Abby!!!!!!
    :D [face_laugh]
    You're doing a great job!

And yes, I WOULD imagine the plot bunnies were getting a bit thick by now. As long as they keep blessing you with fantastic fics I'm happy!

Love the hydrospanner! Great relief to the seriousness of Jag's situation. Maybe the headache will knock some sense in to the fool and he'll get over Jaina.

See ya next post! -Ro

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee [face_laugh] I changed my icon!!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*okay, I know, I'm insane*

8. red rose knight

red rose knight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2001
    Yikes! Jag better watch out for those malicious hydrospanners! [face_shocked]

That was wonderful! Of course, another post would be better. ;)

9. Abby

Abby Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    JainaDurron - Thank you!

DantanaSkywalker - Just wait for the sequal, "Jag Fel and the Return of the Hydrospanner" - an epic, I promise [face_devil]

Ars_longa - Welcome, and thank you! I think I'll keep working on this for a while :D

Ro - I had to do something comical, I was starting to get a Jag-induced headache :D I like your new icon! And it is precisely due to your insanity that I keep you around (although I think it would be a chore to get rid of you :D)

red_rose_knight - yes, you gotta watch those hydrospanners, they're evil. So you want another post??? Okay!

~Abby~

10. Abby

Abby Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Part VII

*~*

The sky above Borleias was clear and bright, and the morning air was cool. A soft breeze blew, teasing the leaves of the jungle trees, and the wildlife was active, producing a multitude of squawks and warbles. Voices joined the indigenous sounds, as personnel tasked with various duties circulated about the building?s exterior.

It was otherwise quiet on the roof of the biotics building, where the voices were muted by distance and the jungle sounds were peaceful. Kyp led Jaina across the uneven roof, choosing to settle atop an external housing of the air-conditioning system.

They sat at opposite ends, facing each other, Jaina squinting from the sunlight in her eyes, looking at a backlit Kyp, the wind flitting through his hair and rustling his cape. Kyp, deep in thought, studied the texture of the housing.

When he looked up at her, his breath caught in his throat. She was aglow, splashed with the bright morning light of the sun Pyria, beautiful in his eyes, and a burning hot-spot in the Force. A strand of hair had escaped her ponytail, and fluttered lightly in the breeze.

?What?re you thinking, Jay?? he asked her.

?I?m wondering what to say.? she replied immediately, with a shrug. Her half-smile slid onto her face. ?I really didn?t see this coming.?

?That?s a start,? Kyp encouraged, winking. ?I didn?t let you see it.?

Jaina?s eyes widened slightly, almost imperceptibly, though Kyp noticed anyway. She remained quiet for a moment, then spoke. ?So then yesterday??

?Was the first time my self-restraint lost.? Kyp finished. ?Jaina, I just had to. You can?t do something like you did and expect me not to kiss you.?

Jaina nodded vaguely, and again fell silent, staring somewhere over his shoulder, looking, in Kyp?s opinion, far too pensive.

He swallowed nervously. ?Jaina??

She met his gaze again, and worked her lips into a smile. ?Will you kiss me again?? she whispered.

Kyp grinned and crawled over to her side of the housing. He tucked the stray strand of hair behind her ear, then leaned in until his lips brushed against hers. He lingered there a second, then deepened the kiss, sliding his arms around her and drawing her close. Jaina leaned into him, playing with his hair with one hand while the other gripped the strong muscles of his upper arm.

The kiss slowly wound down, Kyp pulling away first, watching as Jaina?s mouth formed into a sweet smile. She lingered in his arms a moment before sliding over to sit beside him.

She leaned her head on his shoulder, and sighed. "Wow," she whispered.

?Yeah,? Kyp replied simply, resting his head on hers. ?So what now, Jay??

Jaina lifted her head from his shoulder, and turned her body to face him. ?You?re one of the few people who could even begin to understand some of the things I?ve been through lately.? she began, speaking quickly in a low, weighty voice.

Slipping into the dark side, losing a brother?yeah Jay, I have an idea. ?Yeah,?

?There are a lot of things I need to figure out about myself,? she continued. ?What happened yesterday, well, I think it helped me with some of it. I admitted some things to myself I hadn?t allowed myself to see before.?

Jaina paused, looked up at him with a hesitant smile. ?But I?m not completely there yet, Kyp. I have a long way to go before I can work through everything.?

Kyp felt himself starting to scowl, but he suppressed the expression. Stang, she?s gonna back out of this! He swallowed audibly, hoping his disappointment wasn?t as evident to her as it felt to him. ?So we?re just gonna leave this here, then??

Jaina?s smile became genuine, and she reached up to brush his cheek with her fingers. ?I?m not finished, Kyp.? she admonished softly, shivering as a sudden gust of wind breezed over them.

Kyp acted quickly, untying his cape with practiced ease and draping it across Jaina?s shoulders.

Jaina pulled it around her. ?Thanks,? she said. ?I have a long way to go still,? she repeated. ?But I?m starting to figure

11. LumiKuningatar

LumiKuningatar Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 10, 2003
    *urges* Oh do, do find out...

12. Rowan_Jade

Rowan_Jade Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2003
    :( :: sniff:: You want to get rid of me????? :_| I'll just DIE!!!!!!!!! I'll be so alone!!!!!
    :_| :_| :(

Okay, I got that out of my system........... You'd be bored with out me around Abby. [face_devil] :D

Besides, who else would give you (and Saber) shameless plugs! Cause I'm here to give you a plug!!!!

Wooo Hooooo!!!!! Abby rocks!!!! And since Abby updates her fic more than anyone else she's the best!!!!!!!!!
    :D [face_laugh] :D [face_laugh]

I'm getting sucked into this Abby so please don't stop. Let the rampant plot bunnies stampede!!!!!!!!

Waiting patiently (not) for the next installment (even if it doesn't have roman numerals)

-Ro

13. kyps_godess

kyps_godess Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 23, 2004
    she reached up brush his cheek with her fingers. ?I?m not finished, Kyp.? she admonished softly,

Jaina telling Kyp off!!
    me likes!

Kyp acted quickly, untying his cape with practiced ease and draping it across Jaina?s shoulders.

that is soooo sweet! i love the way Kyp is soooo caring bet jag would never do that!

?But I?d like to find out.?

of course you do!
    this is Kyp we are talking about!
    How could you not want to find out!!!

this is great! can't wait for more!

kyps godess

14. Abby

Abby Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Oh, Ro, don't worry, I really would be bored without you and your insanity! Silly Ro :D

~Abby~

15. Abby

Abby Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    I am going to apologize profusely for not having a post up today - this is the first day I haven't posted something!

*grovels*

Busy day, and now I have to go to work until 11pm *sniffles*

(stupid stupid work...grrrr)

I should have another post ready for tomorrow, though, and maybe, if my herd of plot bunnies are being especially fruitful, two!

~Abby~

16. JainaDurron

Aug 8, 2002
    Wonderful Abby! :)

~~Jilly

17. Abby

Abby Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    LumiKuningatar - oh, don't worry, she will :D

Ro - Thank you, Plug-Master Ro! Yes, I would be so very very bored without you! By the way, anyone know what plot bunnies eat? There are an awful lot of them around here right now, and I'd like to keep them healthy.

kyps_goddess - thank you for letting me know which lines you liked - those were my favourites, too. Welcome to my plot bunny!

JainaDurron - thank-you JD :D - now, more importantly, when are you going to update "Just a Kiss"??? ;)

*~*

Part VIII (I?ll stick with these a bit longer, until I get tired of V?s and I?s and X?s)

*~*

The access stairway to the biotics building?s roof was narrow and steep, causing Jaina to seriously wonder, as she walked down it, why Evir Derricote, the Imperial general who had previously occupied the facility, hadn?t installed a turbolift. Kyp, walking behind her, grumbled with similar annoyance.

As she reached the bottom of the stairway, unscathed despite the murderous design, Jaina untied the cape and turned to hand it to Kyp, who took it without question or discontent. He understood that now was not the time to alert the entire base to the change in their relationship, as her being seen wearing his cape was sure to accomplish. Furthermore, that sort of gesture would mark her, in the eyes of many - including Yuuzhan Vong spies - as his, which was not in keeping with her Yun-Harla illusion. A Goddess could mark her people; she did not allow them to mark her.

They began to stroll slowly down the little-used hallway of the narrow upper floor of the biotics building toward the turbolift at the opposite end. It was deserted, as always, save for a cleaning droid. The upper floor was wide enough for only a single line of rooms bordered by the corridor, and due to its relatively small area and distance from the main floor, it had been largely unused.

?So what?s on your agenda today, Goddess?? Kyp asked her, as he retied the cape around his own shoulders.

?I?d like to schedule a briefing,? she replied. ?What time is it??

?Oh-nine-hundred.?

Jaina thought a moment. ?Would you alert the pilots for me while I prepare? Tell them eleven-hundred hours. That should give me adequate time.?

Kyp smiled. ?Sure.?

They reached the lift and entered, setting the controls to take them down to the main floor.

Jaina leaned against the wall of the lift, opposite from Kyp. ?What do you have to do today??

?I have a meeting with General Antilles in ten minutes,? Kyp replied. ?Then I?d like to go and check on the repairs to my X-wing.?

Jaina?s brow furrowed. ?Why didn?t you speak with him yesterday? You said, before you sent me to my quarters, but Wedge said??

?Jag offered to go in my stead,? Kyp interrupted, with a casual shrug. ?I was in rather rough shape.?

Jaina winced at hearing Jag?s name. ?That had to be uncomfortable for him. I sort of forgot he was there.?

Kyp chuckled warmly and eyed her intently. ?Me as well. Caught up in the moment, as it were.?

Jaina felt her cheeks colour, and she smiled knowingly. ?Perhaps we should talk to him, or something.?

?We can catch him after the briefing.? The lift settled to a stop at the ground floor, and as the door opened, Kyp swept his arm out in a grand gesture. ?Our stop, Goddess. After you.?

Jaina flashed him a godly smile, though her eyes twinkled with affection. ?As always, Master Durron.?

Jaina walked with Kyp until he reached the door to Wedge?s office. He paused before opening the door, turning around to face her.

?So, I guess I?ll see you at the briefing,? he said, appearing blatantly obvious in his desire to kiss her goodbye, though steadfastly resisting the urge.

?I guess so,? Jaina agreed, part of her wishing he would kiss her, the other part silently thanking his stalwart self-restraint for not letting him.

Kyp thumbed the control, and the door opened. As he stepped inside, he sent a meaningful wink in Jaina?s direction, then regarded her with a f

18. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    *has flash-back to the tongue-lashing remark* Hee hee!

Another good one, Abby! Now . . . More! Always more!

Dana

19. JainaDurron

Aug 8, 2002
    Great job, Abby.

~~Jilly

20. Abby

Abby Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Part IX (Part 9 ? easing myself slowly away from Roman numerals)

*~*

Jaina?s briefing had indeed been brief, although after the fact Kyp understood why she had required two hours to prepare. She hadn?t had the chance to speak with the pilots of Twin Suns since ordering them back to Borleias. As Kyp had discovered while notifying them of the briefing, and Jaina had evidently anticipated, all of them had questions about what had happened, and most held the opinion that Jaina was either very lucky, or very insane.

Jaina had tactfully addressed their issues, clearly having worked out possible questions-and-answers, while maintaining her goddess illusion without completely alienating her pilots. Though she refrained from specifically referencing Yun-Harla, Jaina implied that her ?luck? of the previous day had divine origins. And then she made it painfully clear that under no circumstances were any of them to attempt such a stunt.

Watching and listening as Jaina held her meeting, Kyp noticed a subtle change in her way of being. She still remained aloof, necessitated by the Yun-Harla illusion, but she was smiling more naturally, and even allowing some of her Solo sense of humour show through her usual all-business demeanour. He wondered if this sudden change had something to do with the figuring-out she had been doing.

As the briefing adjourned and the pilots filed out of the room, Kyp remained seated, while Jaina positioned herself by the doorway. As Jag made to leave, Jaina grasped his arm to stop him.

?Colonel Fel,? she said, matter-of-factly, as he turned to regard her with a painfully blank expression. ?Master Durron and I would like a word with you.?

Jag glanced toward Kyp, then back at Jaina. ?Very well.?

The last of the Twin Suns pilots left the room, making a decent effort at pretending she wasn?t wondering about the impending private conference, and Jaina closed and then locked the door.

Jaina sat at the head of the table, Kyp to her left, Jag to her right. She fixed her eyes on Jag. ?So what?s the matter with you??

Jag blinked, caught off guard. Whatever he had expected her to say, apparently that wasn?t it. ?I?m afraid I do not understand your question.?

Jaina rolled her eyes, glancing pointedly toward Kyp before shooting Jag an I-know-something-is-bothering-you-spill-it look. ?Look, you hardly said a word at breakfast, and left without even eating anything, and yes, I did see you duck back into your quarters as I was coming down the hallway.?

?And you went out of your way to avoid me when I was trying to inform you about this briefing,? Kyp added. He looked toward Jaina, who had turned to listen to him. ?I chased him for half an hour.?

Jaina eyed Kyp teasingly. ?He managed to evade you for half an hour??

Kyp grinned. ?He?s rather sneaky.?

Jaina returned the grin. ?But you?re the Jedi Master.?

Kyp held up his finger, gesturing in Jag?s direction. ?But he?s sneaky.?

?And you?re not??

?Maybe I let him get away a few times.?

Her smile widened. ?Teasing your prey??

Kyp winked. ?Always, Goddess.?

By the time Jaina turned her attention back to Jag, he had fixed his eyes to the seam in the table, and appeared reluctant to look elsewhere.

Compassion took over her expression, and she set a hand on his shoulder. ?Jag, I?m sorry we put you in this awkward position, but you can?t just not talk to us.?

Jag?s equivalent of a half-smile appeared on his face as he looked up, and he sighed. ?I understand that, um, what happened was not intentional.? Jag said, glancing at both of them. ?I didn?t want to get in the way.?

Kyp snorted, and Jaina squinted her eyes at him. She reached over the table and poked him in the chest. ?You didn?t want to deal with it,? she corrected.

Jag sighed again, and then conceded with a slight nod. ?It is uncomfortable.? he admitted. ?And I?never mind.?

Jaina suppressed a suspicious look, and refrained from asking Jag what he had stopped himself from saying. She glanced at Kyp, and he returned

21. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Way too many good parts to quote! I loved Kyp and Jaina's whole exchange about Jag being sneaky, that was great!

Dana

22. Ars_longa

Ars_longa Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 26, 2004
    Abby, don't you even think about not finishing this one! There is quite enough of poor orphaned fics around. And yes (looks at Dantana and JainaDurron), it's a hint. :)

A.

23. Abby

Abby Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Oh I have pleanty of poor orphaned stories wallowing away in the depths of my computer, but I'm hoping that this won't end up being one :D

~Abby~

24. LumiKuningatar

LumiKuningatar Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Jaina eyed Kyp teasingly. ?He managed to evade you for half an hour??

Kyp grinned. ?He?s rather sneaky.?

Jaina returned the grin. ?But you?re the Jedi Master.?

Kyp held up his finger, gesturing in Jag?s direction. ?But he?s sneaky.?

?And you?re not??

?Maybe I let him get away a few times.?

Her smile widened. ?Teasing your prey??

Kyp winked. ?Always, Goddess.?

Lovely...

25. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    There is quite enough of poor orphaned fics around. And yes (looks at Dantana and JainaDurron), it's a hint. :)

I haven't orphaned anything! I'm still working on every single one of them! Just . . . slowly.

Dana

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.