main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends A Twist of Fate - Kyp/Jaina, Jag (AU , NJO, RD/RS) *** AUTHOR'S MESSAGE 2/20/09 ***

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Abby, May 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rowan_Jade

Rowan_Jade Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2003
    "He's sneaky" [face_laugh] :D [face_laugh]
    *shaking head and laughing* Sneaky she says!!!!! [face_laugh]

Too funny!

You're doing a fantastic job on this fic Abby! I can picture this pretty well and the characterizations are great! I love the added humor. Maybe the plot bunnies eat giggles cause they are sure producing them! :D Please don't let this fic languish unforgotten in the 'puter cause it'd be a huge shame if it did.

Thanks for the PM & keep up the posties!

-Ro [face_devil]

PS

UP
    UPUP
    UPUPUP
    UPUPUPUP
    UPUPUPUPUP
    UPUPUPUPUPUP
    UPUP
    UPUP
    UPUP
    UPUP
    UPUP
    UPUP
    !!!!
    !!!!
    !!!!
    !!!!
    !!!!
    !!!!
    Wheeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [face_laugh]

2. Babi_Tahiri

Babi_Tahiri Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 29, 2003
    Okay... I think it's about time that I replied to this story. It's great! I really love the "what if" stories like this. They always make me wish it was canon. *sigh* Oh well. That's what fanfics are for!
    Can't wait for more!

~^~ Tahiri ~^~

3. red rose knight

red rose knight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2001
    Caught up, finally! I really liked the rooftop conversation with Kyp and Jaina, but it was the sneaky conversation post briefing that I enjoyed the most. I could almost see the mischevious look on Kyp?s face. Eager for more. :)

4. JainaDurron

JainaDurron Jedi Master star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    Wonderful postie of course. :) And I haven't entirely abandoned my stories, just had to take a break cause of DRL things. And sewing. ;)

~~Jilly

5. Rowan_Jade

Nov 14, 2003
    gasp! [face_shocked]

What on earth is this doing WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY back on page 4????????????

This needs to be up top at all times!!!!
    Hop plot bunnies HOP!!!! Hop back up to the 1st page!

--hee hee-- I'm feeling extra silly today beacuse I have the day off! Wheeeeeeee! But now I have to go and mow the lawn. Darn grass! [face_mischief] Why does grass have to grow????? And now it's long AND crunchy due to swarms of cicadas (eeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwww). Oh well. Chalk that up to DRL.

Abby, I'm waiting patiently. I know you're working long shifts but can ya maybe satisfy my craving a bit. Saber's writing papers and doing finals so for a few more days it's up to you to feed my addiction.

I know, I know. I'm insane 8-}
    -Ro

6. Ars_longa

Ars_longa Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 26, 2004
    Dana
    I haven't orphaned anything! I'm still working on every single one of them! Just . . . slowly.

Yep. And crocodiles can fly, surely. They are just flying really close to earth. :)

A.

7. Abby

Abby Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Grrrrrrr Darn internet was down ALL NIGHT last night AND this morning...new post up tonight, I promise!

~Abby~

8. Abby

Abby Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    DantanaSkywalker - Thanks! I actually went back and added that after I had it written...I thought I needed some sort of exchange in there. Jag needed to feel more uncomfortable than he already was.

Ars_longa - As long as I keep coming up with ideas, I will keep going!

LumiKuningatar - Thanks :D

Ro - So the characters are ok? I haven't read the NJO stuff in a while, and I'm just skimming through Rebel Dream/Rebel Stand for info, so I was hoping I was doing them all right. Thanks Ro, you rock!

Babi_Tahiri - Thank you for replying! I always appreciate any reply, because then I know you're reading it. :D I'm glad you like it.

red_rose_knight - It's a good thing I decided to add that sneaky conversation after all! Hmmm, I just realized all anybody is doing is talking. (Next post, too)...me thinks me needs some action.

JainaDurron - Poor JD with her darth real life. Waiting will just make the posts better, anyway :D Sewing?

Ro (again) - thanks for the fantastic up. You don't just up, you up with style! Yay for your day off! (ewwww....crunchy) And I will say again, insanity be free!!!

*~*

Thanks to everybody for reading and replying. And any lurkers out there, feel free (and encouraged) to reply, even if you just say UP. I appreciate knowing you're reading!

~Abby~

9. Abby

Abby Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Part 10

*~*

After bidding Jaina goodbye for the second time that day, Kyp wandered again to the special operations docking bay, where he had agreed to meet with Jag. He found the aforementioned colonel beneath his clawcraft, only his black-suited legs visible as they stuck out from under the fighter. Kyp approached as silently as the soles of his boots would allow on the metal decking of the docking bay. He stood, leaning against the clawcraft next to Jag?s legs, and waited.

?Borleias to Colonel Fel.? Kyp called, somewhat louder than was required for Jag to hear him.

Jag?s legs jerked, then bent, and a muffled thump followed by a cry of pain and a muttered curse came from beneath the clawcraft. A moment later, Jag crawled out, rubbing his forehead. Kyp eyed the younger man with an amused grin.

Jag scowled in Kyp?s direction. ?You might have announced yourself in a less painful manner.?

Kyp laughed. ?Wasn?t painful for me. Quite amusing, actually. What can I do for you??

Jag?s scowl faded quickly, replaced with the same uncomfortable expression he had worn during their talk following Jaina?s briefing. ?I would like to talk to you about Jaina.?

?I figured as much,? Kyp replied. ?So talk.?

Jag sighed, and started circling slowly around his fighter. ?You understand that this degree of candour is neither easy nor natural for me.?

Kyp nodded, following Jag as he walked. ?You?ll find I share your reservations.?

Jag stopped walking and turned around to face Kyp. ?I don?t know you well, nor you me. I will admit that at first I found you offensive and brash, and I am sure you had similarly negative first impressions of me. But since we?ve been flying together under Jaina, I have come to recognize there is more to you than first meets the eye, if you?ll excuse the cliché.?

Jag paused, then feigned interest in one of his starfighter?s silver-painted claws. ?No doubt you?ve drawn your own conclusions about my recent behaviour and the reason behind this conversation.?

?You have feelings for her, too.? Kyp stated, without hesitation.

?Then you understand.?

?Yes.?

Jag smiled weakly, leaning against the TIE pod. ?As much as I wanted it to be me she turned to, I can accept that it wasn?t and it would do me no good to dwell on what-ifs. What I?ve been trying to say is, I know you?ll take care of her.?

A grin crept onto Kyp?s face. ?She would tell you she can take care of herself.?

Jag chuckled. ?She would, wouldn?t she.? he agreed.

?What little she knows,? Kyp joked.

He let his smile fade as he looked seriously at Jag. Kyp was satisfied with the way the conversation had turned out. He?d had worries about how it would go, complete with visions of Jag pouting over what could have been, or threatening him for taking what he thought should have been his. Though he?d given Jag the benefit of the doubt before hand, matters of the heart tended to be unpredictable, and even those most in control of themselves could wind up behaving foolishly. He was glad to see that hadn?t been the case.

Kyp set his hand on Jag?s shoulder. ?She?s begun to work out her inner demons, slowly,? he began. ?And whether she admits it or not, she needs people around who care about her. She needs both of us.?

?And she will have us,? Jag agreed, flashing a subtle grin. ?In one way or another.?

*~*

Sorry, this one's a little short, but I wanted to get it up since I couldn't last night due to Darth Internet Not Working.

I think I will put more action, less talking in the next post, and maybe some mush :D

~Abby~

10. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    See . . . Jag wouldn't do that. I mean, he didn't do that. He pretty much tried to ignore Kyp as much as possible. Kyppie, though . . .

Liked this one. :) Don't care if it's short. :)

dana

11. Abby

Abby Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Jag wouldn't do that. I mean, he didn't do that.

Dana - did you mean that Jag wouldn't do the talking with Kyp thing, or the pouty thing?

I kind of thought this would be a little out-of-character, but I needed to resolve his brooding somehow.

Everyone - When I read a fic, I like getting PMs when they're updated, so I've been PMing those of you who're reading. If you don't want to be PMed, let me know, otherwise, I'll send them. :D

~Abby~

12. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    No, what I meant is this.

In the story, Kyp understands how Jag feels, and he tells him to stick around, that Jaina needs him as well as Kyp (not that Kyp needs him :p). Kyp could feel threatened by Jag, but doesn't.

In the books, Jaina and Jag both know how Kyp feels, but Jaina's the only one to really acknowledge it. SHE asks Kyp to stay, not Jag. Jag sees Kyp as a threat, and probably would like it if Kyp went away. Whereas, Kyp pretty much keeps quiet about how he feels, and is just there to support Jaina.

So, of the two . . . Kyp is more noble.

What I was saying is, what Kyp did in this, Jag wouldn't do. I don't really know if Jag was in character, but Kyp sure is!

Dana

13. Abby

Abby Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Oh, okay! Thanks, that makes perfect sence. I didn't actually think about that, but you're right!

Yes, noble Kyp. Plus, obviously Kyp shouldn't feel threatened by Jag...but Jag could feel threatened by Kyp. Does that make sense?

:D

~Abby~

14. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Oh, okay! Thanks, that makes perfect sence. I didn't actually think about that, but you're right!

Of course I'm right!

:p ;)

Yes, noble Kyp. Plus, obviously Kyp shouldn't feel threatened by Jag...but Jag could feel threatened by Kyp. Does that make sense?

Perfect sense, yes. :) And as I was just explaining to a friend . . .

"In "A Twist Of Fate", Abby's fic in which it's Kyp that Jaina saved, not Jag, and Kyp that she kissed . . . Jag is feeling upset because he missed his chance with Jaina. Kyp goes to find him, talks to him, and talks him into sticking around. In the books, Jag never did that. He felt threatened by Kyp and pretty much ignored him. Kyp kept quiet about his feelings and stayed to support Jaina. Jag would never do that. Kyp is the noble one. He's looking out for Jaina's interests, rather than his own. Jag's looking out for himself.

"In "Ylesia", Jag accosts Jaina in the dark to make sure she's still interested in him. Kyp might do that . . . but only if he was secure, not insecure. Jag did it to calm his own fears, not to see how Jaina's doing. It was a purely selfish move."

Not to, ah, dull the shine on that Imperial for 'ya. ;)

Dana

15. Abby

Abby Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Yes, I was angry with Jag for that little stunt :mad:

16. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Well, she got her revenge by using him as a footstool . . .

Dana

17. Abby

Abby Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    I wanted that foot massage! (Jag optional).

18. red rose knight

red rose knight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2001
    Short but sweet. :) Jaina is so lucky to have two guys like that looking out for her.

19. Abby

Abby Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Grrrr...this next post is proving to be incorrigible. I was hoping to have it up tonight, but I may not, since I have to work at 5:30 tomorrow morning.

*apologizes*

~Abby~

20. Rowan_Jade

Nov 14, 2003
    Short but sweet! I'm not sure I can agree with what the boys are doing. I can't picture Kyp asking Jag to stay around and "take care" of Jaina, and I kinda picture Jag as less of a posessive turd than that. I guess that it's all creative license though so keep doin what you're doin, it's working out just fine!

Waiting eagerly for the next postie! -Ro

P.S. Abby, you should be able to get your mom to stop lurking, you helped drag me out of lurker mode and NOW look at me! :D

21. djcati

djcati Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2004
    Alright.
    I LOVE IT
    Where's the next part? :p

22. Abby

Abby Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    I'm working on the next post now, but as I have now moved beyond the ideas contained in my original plot bunny, things are coming slower.

Also, I'm trying to write more action so it's taking a while to work through.

Hopefully up tonight, or else tomorrow when I'm off work.

~Abby~

23. Abby

Abby Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Dana - such a faithful read-and-replyer...thanks, your feedback is great and I'm glad you like this.

red_rose_knight - I wish I had two guys like that looking out for me...

Ro - Okay, this is how I see it...

In the book, Kyp sticks around because he wants to be there for Jaina. In the story, Kyp knows that Jaina doesn't want Jag to go away, so he makes sure he sticks around, because he's looking out for Jaina. Does that make sense?

By the way, thanks for your loyal readership!

djcati - Welcome! Glad you loved it! Next part to follow these replies!

~Abby~

PS. Gonna PM everyone...let me know if you don't want to be PMed in the future.

24. Abby

Abby Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Okay, here we have an effort at adding some action into this thinking-talking-(kissing) story?

Part 11

*~*

Jaina entered her quarters, tossing her datapad on her bed, and went into the refresher for a quick shower.

She emerged quickly, feeling somewhat refreshed, though lacking the rejuvenation only a true water shower could bring. Sonic showers had their place, of course ? they were quick and thorough, and negated the need for clean towels ? but could never hold their own against the luxurious phenomenon that was the water shower.

Sighing, Jaina opened her clothes locker and picked through the meagre collection of items, consisting mostly of uniforms, flight suits, a few Jedi robes, and some anonymous coveralls used for particularly messy repair jobs. Her wardrobe maintained a scattering of civilian items, some remnants of pre-war times, others picked up since, but choices in that genre were scarce. She was not searching for civilian clothing, however, and reached past them to obtain the black sleeveless top and sweat shorts that made up her workout ensemble.

She dressed, secured her hair into a high ponytail, and grabbed her lightsaber and blaster, which were never far from her side these days. She pulled on a Jedi robe, and started for the door.

Something crunched under her boot as she rounded the bed. Looking down, Jaina saw that she had stepped on her datapad. She stooped and picked it up, cursing as she saw the shattered screen.

?Cheap,? she muttered, and threw it on her bed as she left the room.

*~*

The gym was mostly empty by the time Jaina arrived, being that it was nearly twenty-one-hundred hours. Several pilots lingered; one, Twin Suns Seven, smiled in Jaina?s direction as she entered the room. Jaina returned the smile, but continued through the main gym area without conversation to the very back wall, and stepped through the door there.

Behind the door was a single, large room, its duracrete floor covered not with standard gym mats, but with a thick, non-slip black coating. The walls of the room were barren and windowless, and no training equipment cluttered the floors. There was a small table in one corner on which a few mechanical items had been placed, and a rack near the door held some clean towels.

The Jedi Room, as it had come to be known, was a recent addition to the biotics building?s gym. Several Jedi, including the Goddess herself, were based on Borleias, and Wedge had agreed that their presence warranted an area for sparring and other Jedi routines separate from the main gymnasium.

Jaina shed her robe, tossing it against the wall, kicked off her boots and socks, and grasped her lightsaber firmly in her hands. With the familiar snap-hiss, the purple blade sprang to life, and so did Jaina. She moved gracefully around the room, wielding her saber as an extension of her body rather than a weapon, in an elegant dance with an unseen foe.

The steady hum of the blade was at once calming and electrifying as it sliced through the air, striking and blocking, cutting sharply or sweeping wide as Jaina moved, spinning and flipping as only a Jedi could. Sweat beaded on her brow, but she welcomed it.

Jaina swept her blade high, then quickly cut low and spun around for another high sweep. She backflipped away, landing soundlessly, swiftly turning her body around as she brought her blade up over her shoulder to block.

Two violet blades met in midair with a violent crackle.

Jaina met Kyp?s eyes briefly, igniting sparks of a different sort, and she flashed him a broad smile before she struck.

Kyp blocked her blow easily, though the force behind it was strong. ?Goddess,? Kyp said.

Jaina struck again. ?Master.?

They began to spar, Jaina most vehemently as she advanced, backing Kyp toward the far wall.

Kyp grinned broadly as he blocked her blows, allowing her advance by remaining purely on the defensive. ?So she wishes a duel,? Kyp remarked, sensing that he was within five feet of the back wall.

Jaina replied with a powerf

25. AkyeRae

AkyeRae Jedi Master star 1

Apr 17, 2003
    Ahh!! Awesome post, Abby!! I loved it. The perfect end to the weekend!!! The saber battle was awesome, and mush, well that's always a good end to duel!! And I agree, Saber should be spelled Sabre. It just looks better that way, but oh well. I love this story. And here's Up!! before I go.

-Akye

P.S. Thanks for the pm!

EDIT: Hey! I got first post!! yay! now back to thermo <leaves muttering something evil about three midterms on tuesday>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.