main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A USA National Bill Proposition--Should We Be Forced To Vote?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Laine_Snowtrekker, Oct 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GarthSchmader

GarthSchmader Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2003
    No, we should not be forced to vote. People, however, should be more grateful for the opportunity.

I think a tax credit should be inorder for those who do vote. Also one, maybe, for those who volunteer for a political campaign or initiative drive.

People also need to know that there are many more ways than just to vote, to influence those in 'power'. Write letters. Write to the editors of magazines and newspapers. Ask lots of hard questions publicly.

Enforced democracy is an oxymoron, and a non-starter.

2. Jediflyer

Jediflyer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 5, 2001
    Just because you are forced to vote doesn't mean you are forced to vote for someone.

Therefore, enforced democracy is not an oxymoron.

Democracy with less than 50% of the capable voters voting is an oxymoron.

3. GarthSchmader

GarthSchmader Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2003
    Just because you are forced to vote doesn't mean you are forced to vote for someone.

Therefore, enforced democracy is not an oxymoron.

This makes no sense to me, therefore I can not respond. Sorry.

Democracy with less than 50% of the capable voters voting is an oxymoron.

Not an oxymoron...it is a failure.

4. LordJedi

LordJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 15, 2001
    They've had compulsory voting in California for years, right?

Huh? Are you kidding? No, we don't have compulsory voting in California.

I agree with others that have said we get what we vote/don't vote for. If you don't want to vote, fine, just don't complain about you've gotten later. If you do want to vote, please, vote intelligently. If you haven't studied a particular issue, either vote no or don't vote on it at all.

I think a tax credit should be inorder for those who do vote. Also one, maybe, for those who volunteer for a political campaign or initiative drive.

Ah, just what we need, a way to make the tax system even more convoluted.

There's really no reason why people can't vote. You pickup a registration form at the post office when you buy your stamps. After that you mail in for an absentee ballot and just mail that back with your selections. None of this actually requires someone to do anything more than spend a few minutes marking up a sheet of paper and dropping it in the mailbox with a stamp. And it looks like you can even fill out the registration form online now http://www.ss.ca.gov/elections/votereg1.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.