main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation A Vader Anthology

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by RX_Sith, Jul 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    I would like to see Darth Vader get an anthology film that deals with his path through the Dark Side of the Force where Darth Sidious keeps encouraging him like the Jedi did, but then does not quite live up to his promises like he thought he would have since turning to the Dark Side.

I believe that Vader's struggle's with the suit along with recovering from the burns that he suffered and the loss of both legs and arms really affects his lack of usefulness despite what Darth Sidious says for him as even an apprentice, which is exactly what he became again; an apprentice.

Not a Master like he was seeking with the Jedi, but since his injuries he now has to settle for the constant struggle of what he could have been. He is now disabled when you really think about it and only the machine that he is inside of gives him the opportunity to walk and do things.

But, he still needs the machine for his survival. He cannot live without it. It must be a great torment for him to go through life needing a machine to function. Sidious must know that Vader is never going to be as good as he could have been before he became disabled.

Why do you think that he wanted Luke so bad to replace his father. Because he knew that he was becoming even more useless. The Force is great and Vader's hatred kept him going all of those years that Luke grew up, but by the time that Luke is ready to replace him, Sidious is more than happy to say, "Take the place of your father".

2. Forcesensitive01

Forcesensitive01 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    I see this as another inevitable one... Even though the character has been done to death in the movies and tv shows, people can't get enough of him, it would be a hit. I think if anything, instead of focusing on his disability, they would use this movie to show some of the dark times and how elite Vader was as well as his relationship with the Emperor and other imperials like Tarkin.

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  3. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I'm gonna say yes simply because I can't get enough of the guy. But I also think that Kieron Gillen's comics prove he can work in the role of the protagonist. It's not hard to make him relatable, because he, essentially, is.

But I would perhaps set the film after TESB when he is struggling with the dark side and the fact that he has a son, that would make for some compelling drama. In this time period, it is also easy to show flashes of good inside of him, which also makes him more relatable.

Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  4. Twain

Twain Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2014
    Disney could make an amazing animated film of Shadows of the Empire. They could probably get all the original cast for the voices, except Ford probably...but they wouldn't even need him for SotE.

A Vader anthology of him hunting down hidden Jedi would be a blockbuster moneyfest.

5. Count Zero

Count Zero Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2014
    I could get into a Vader-led film.

6. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Why animated? And yes, Shadows could be a good backbone for a movie it is streamlined a bit.

7. Twain

Twain Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2014
    I was thinking animation because I don't think they'd re-cast the original characters for a story that occurs in between episodes...leading right up next to ROTJ.

Might be wrong, but there's something different about a young Han as opposed to a different Luke.

Dewback likes this.
  8. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    As long as he never whines, cries, or throws a tantrum. And we never should see his face. Dredd style.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  9. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015
    I would love a RoTS aftermath when he became Darth Vader.

10. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    I've long been an advocate of this. What you need is a standalone story & one darker than any other SW film. Make it an action thriller where an Imperial world is under siege by some really horrible evil group. One that makes even the Empire look fair & just. Vader is sent in to resolve the situation & eliminate these scumbags. Sure he's doing it in the interests of Imperial security but as a byproduct he's saving a world or city full of innocent people. This way he can be the dark anti-hero of the story. A secondary plot can involve a local character or group who are secretly Rebels but have to work with Vader to defeat the threat. At the same time they're planning their freedom from Imperial rule in the longer term. This gives the story some genuine hope at the end.

11. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Yes, make the villains so despicable and dangerous that Vader's hardcore methods seem justified, absolutely.

I was thinking of terrorists, some Jedi who have fallen to the darkside and are men who want nothing else than to see the world burn. Alternatively it could be a really bad crime slug lord.

12. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Good idea. I'd have the planet be strategically important to the Empire. That's the real reason Vader is there but the people see him as a hero saving their world. That would be hilarious.

There's enormous potential in this. I'm sure they'll see how the first few Anthology films go & then move onto a Vader film quickly. Having him on screen in his prime is surely a must for Disney/Lucasfilm.

13. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I'd like to see that too. Like in Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader where he's dealing with living in his new suit and putting his old life further behind him.

14. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Hear, hear!

Part of me still yearns to see that 'Dark Times' Darth Vader -- the one with the heart of darkness who "helped the Empire hunt down and destroy the Jedi" -- up there on the big screen. The classic, iconic image of Darth Vader: The suit of armor, that horrifying breath mask and the humming, scarlet blade. The whole package.

I admit it: I was one of those fans who hoped to see this, at least in part, during Episode III. I know we got a version of this in the film (I actually love the Order 66 sequences), but the kind of scenes I envisioned were left to novels and comics in the Legends continuity.

Incidentally, I was also one of those fans who half-expected to see Episode II subtitled "The Clone Wars" and feature Anakin Skywalker, the war hero, fighting alongside his good friend General Kenobi during the major campaigns of the struggle. And as with ROTS, we were treated to a version of that idea, with the kind of stories I had pictured reserved for the likes of CW and TCW (along with the novels, comics, video games... and on and on and on). All well and good, but a part of me still secretly hopes for a reunion of the PT's principal actors, starring in a live action Clone Wars war epic.

That will never happen. But a "suited-Vader slaughtering Jedi Masters during the Great Jedi Purge" just might one day.

[​IMG]

Now, all that said? You're right: A film which features Darth Vader set sometime after he discovers the truth about Luke really would seem to offer far more dramatic potential. But boy, wouldn't that Vader 'Purge' film still be a lot of fun? :D

15. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    It absolutely would, but would Vader be the protagonist in such a movie? It is kind of hard to root for the guy when he mows down teenage Jedi and so on. A "Purge" movie is absolutely possible, but it would have Vader as the clear-cut 100% villain. It would probably follow the story of older Jedi trying to save a bunch of Jedi kids, because those Jedi would be someone you can easily root for. And it would be tragic when they sacrifice their lives against Vader to protect the next generation. It would demonstrate just how merciless Vader can be, how utterly convinced that all who stand against the Empire must die, even if they are merely kids.

If you want protagonist Vader, an after-TESB movie seems easier to do, because that's the time he can be the most antihero-ish (compared to full-blown villain).

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  16. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Anakin is the main character of the saga, he is one of the last characters that should get his own film.

Lee_ likes this.
  17. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Yeah he needs his own Live Action TV series:p

18. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    The public wasn't given the Vader it wanted to see in the prequels.

19. Forcesensitive01

Apr 17, 2015
    It all depends on the perspective that the screenplay takes. Today we live in the age of antihero, and that is essentially what Vader would be. Think about something like Nolan's batman. Vader would fit the role of a dark and brooding protagonist perfectly. Now does this story need to be told? No not really. Would this film really bring anything new to the table? Not really. If Vader appears in Rogue One, then we will have already gotten to see Vader at this time on screen.

20. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I can't say I agree. There are a lot of possible angles for interesting character development, whether it be the changes after Vader finds out he has a son or his increasing doubts following Empire. More than enough stuff, especially if it's "only" an action movie.

Forcesensitive01 likes this.
  21. Forcesensitive01

Apr 17, 2015
    I gotcha. I do find that element of Vader to be really interesting, he has a certain complexity in his position with the Empire. My only problem with the premise you suggested is what exactly would he do? We have canon comics kind of covering this side of Vader now, and I don't know exactly what events could take place to push forward this drama with Vader coming to grips with Luke's existence and what that could mean for him and how he could use that to his advantage.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  22. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Well Shadows of the Empire had Xizor trying to assassinate Luke after TESB. Lets say it brought out the "angry dad" side of Vader. The struggle with his fatherly feelings could be expanded in a movie, because when Luke is threatened it may be enough to bring this side out in Vader.

He doesn't allow himself to love everyone, so when he discovers that he does, it might result in a big internal conflict for him. In ROTJ he seems to already have accepted he has feelings for his son.

23. Count Zero

Count Zero Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2014
    This is a must. Disney/Lucasfilm can't use Vader in their era of Star Wars without a ridiculous level of retcon. An Anthology movie is the only way they can really get Vader, one of the most recognizable characters in pop culture, to work for them. As i said in another thread: This movie would be a license to print money. Who wouldn't go see it?

A Vader anthology is probably the only Anthology film that has a shot at being a billion-dollar-buster. It could conceivably outgross some of the main sequence Saga films. We're talking Avengers money, here.

Edit: But they better not wimp out and make him a hero. That movie needs to follow Sinister-Vader during the Dark Times. No silly made-up hero character who is the "hero of the piece.". The movie should strictly follow a villain being villainous! Any heroic characters should be the antagonists and all end up dead at the end. No pussyfooting around, here.

24. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I'm not sure if making him 100% bad in the movie is going to work, because I don't remember big hollywood films that star a 100% bad villain in the lead role.

25. Forcesensitive01

Apr 17, 2015
    That and I doubt it is a billion dollar film anyways. The ST is another stories, but you can't count on the same numbers for a spin off, not even with the legacy Darth Vader has.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.