main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Vader costume

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Skywalker_1138, Jun 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skywalker_1138

Skywalker_1138 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 17, 2003
    Does anyone know a site that either sells or tells you how to make a suit of Darth Vader's armor

2. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    link

there's links on that page to every costume you could ever want.

I'm working on a Vader costume right now and keep in mind that it's not cheap! It can easily start becoming as expensive as a stormtrooper costume. PM me if you have any questions.

3. Skywalker_1138

Skywalker_1138 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 17, 2003
    Thanks, if it turns out to be too expensive I'm gonna make a Jedi costume

4. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    Jedi Costume < $100
    Vader Costume > $400

5. JediToren

JediToren Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2000
    Your average Vader suit will run AT LEAST $1000+ for the lower budget version and more than $3000 for the big budget version. The helmet alone (A Don Post Classic Action or Deluxe) will probably cost half of that. A while back o the RPF there was a poll on which SW costume was the most expensive. Vader won by a landslide.
    In other words, if you can't afford that, you should find a different project.

[image=http://www.highlandcitadel.com/501stso/events/apr5_2003/pic020.jpg]
    [image=http://www.highlandcitadel.com/501stso/events/apr5_2003/pic017.jpg]

That is my good friend Skip wearing his own Vader suit that he made. He has probably put a year and a half into it. His costume is considered to be on the low-budget end for Vader, and he has put more than $1000 into his suit, probably more with all his revisions. If you want screen accurate, you may end up spending $2000-$3000.
    If you are serious about doing Vader then you should plan on dropping $1000 to $1500, and then you will spend even more revising and improving your suit later on (trust me, you will do this to any and every costume you ever make, there is no such thing as a finished costume). If you can't afford that you may want to consider a less expensive costume.

I highly recommend checking out a few of the past discussions on Vader:
    Can anyone link me to Vader Costume sites?
    Vader Helmet Size
    Vader helmets
    Vader armor harness
    Vader costume help...
    Building Darth Vader Costume, What do I need?
    Good Costume Site
    Vader chestbox parts
    Vader's Gear...
    Vader Costume

Hopefully Skip will drop by and post some tips.

6. skip1

skip1 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    here i am,i just saw this thread.

toren is correct,to get a costume that is even wearable out in public will cost some serious stuff.
    do a search for the vader topic and youll find lots of people with the same thoughts in mind,"can i make a good vader for not much money?"
    simply put,no'
    and the reason now is because of the cost in getting the classic action helmet.youll need this helmet to do the costume.dont even try to do it with the little standard helmet.thats where alot of people want to start.its way to small.

if your really up to it spend a week or so checking out the links toren put up there.
    get on ebay and do some cost research and remember you can make some of this stuff.but youll have to be really good to get it to where you can wear it and not get laughed at.

lastly,
    a stormtrooper costume armor set costs around 550-600.people are paying 400+ just for the vader helmet.so the vader costume will quickly pass any trooper costume cost.
    check into having a leather or vinyl suit custom made for you.a friend of mine has already spent nearly 500 and only has the body suit,the cod pc and one other small part.he hasnt even got the armor,shin armor,gloves,helmet,2 capes,boots and on and on.

if your not sure.do a jedi.learn to sew and spend more time researching the vader costume.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.