main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:SA A very serious question that needs answering!

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Lukes_other_sister, Apr 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lukes_other_sister

Lukes_other_sister Jedi Youngling

Apr 26, 2005
    Was Star Wars Episode IV orignially marketed as "A New Hope"?
    I swear I remember seeing it on the text at the start of the movie but the bf says that was never the case...it's only in the re-mastered versions?

Help me out here Star Wars Experts!
    Big thanks
    LOT

2. Dark-Lord_Alf

Dark-Lord_Alf Beloved Member of the SA Fan Force 1979-2013 star 4

Mar 19, 2005
    The "Episode 4: A New Hope " was in the Scrolling Text but not on the video cover or on the original posters.

A New Hope was only put on Video Covers and Posters from the Anniversary Special edition Releases.

3. Paw-of-Arcticfox

Paw-of-Arcticfox Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 10, 2005
    Humans!

ffft

The original movie was never expected to do well....even by Mr L (he HOPED, but was nervous)

Thus, the title was STAR WARS.....nothing more

EP4, and A New Hope were added AFTER first release, on later Cinema releases, sometime prior to the Studio Big Heads told GL he could have his cake, and eat it too....

He eats a lot of cake these days, non?

:D

(Fox expects E-Ink to begin debate.....enter, the Master)

4. Aiel

Aiel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Oh, I've met GL briefly, he's actually lost a lot of weight, there's a cool photo of me and him somewhere... I'll bring it with the rest of them to the meet.

(Yes, it was released originally as Star Wars for a long time, the title wasn't added untill the 1997 re-release.)

5. MsWinter

MsWinter Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2005
    my two cents worth

(I wonder if these photos will surface on Sunday?) :)

anyway....

From memory, when I went and saw Star Wars in 1977 at the age of 11, it was only titled Star Wars - a new hope was added when GL was given the go ahead for Eps V and VI. The scroll only had 'Star Wars' as the title...

Also, when the probe droid entered the room that Leia was being held captive, she screamed a blood curdling scream...that has been the focus of many a debate over the years, but I remember it well, it was the scariest part of the movie for me!!

6. Aiel

Aiel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    I think the first time I saw ANH I heard that scream.

But Lucasfilm screws you around a bit, the DVD's have taken out a lot.

Like in ESB, when Leia says she'd just as soon kiss a Wookiee Han says that he can arrange that, and that she: "Could use a good kiss."

But on the DVD the last part "you could use a good kiss," has been taken out.

Oh and yes, Aiel's photos. (Waves burnt CD,) it will be there on Sunday. Stay tunned.

7. evil-incarnate

evil-incarnate Jedi Youngling star 7

Jun 30, 2004
    Sorry to disapoint you Fox....
    I've nothing to add. All that has been said has been verified & been rubber stamped as "Correct".

8. MsWinter

MsWinter Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2005
    damn we're good!!

lol

but I still wouldn't beat you at trivial pursuit, E-I! lol

9. evil-incarnate

Jun 30, 2004
    Its always possible........

TK & DJ might get lucky this weekend as well....

I might say nice things about people one day.....

George MIGHT make a film that CRITICS like.....

10. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    We beat you one night didn't we evil, had to have four or five gang up on you, and then cheat, but we beat you! :p

11. evil-incarnate

Jun 30, 2004
    I rest my case......

ps, i've been going over "old" trivia to "keep up to date" in case of a challenge.

12. Da_Phantom_Menace

Da_Phantom_Menace Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 17, 2005
    Naaah yer all wrong, When Star Wars was first released in the Spring on 1974, it was originally titled..."STAR WARS - Luke the whingey farmboy goes to the stars"

It was made on a budget of $421.00 and the cast and crew had to supply their own lunches.

It was released at the UCLA Teacher / parent night and was basically met with all forms of objection, moreso because the original cut of the movie had a 15 minute Bathtub scene where Chewbacca appered topless. Due to USA censorship rulings this was later removed and replaced with the now famous Chewie / Droids holographic chess game. Probably a wise idea as Chewie in a shower cap, naked as a jailbird and luferig his butt is not the sort of image anyone should be privy too.

Not to mention that Kenner were unwilling to make a Chewie the nude wookiee action figure.

The movie went thru a number of revamps during the Autumn of 1976 during which time Director Peter Jackson was asked to add his own flair to the stories script. Lucasfilm said a BIG no to the addition of Hobbits, but agreed that Jawas would be a good subsititute. *( The Disney organisation refused the Star Wars franchise to put "Hi im Dopey" " Hi im bashful" etc etc badges on the Jawas robes.

An office email from Toys R Us in late 1976, requesting that the movie ba called :

Star Wars Episode 1 The Way to lift TRU Sales.

Other movie titles suggested by various merchandisrs were:

Star Wars " Head bagels are a girls best friend"

Star Wars " Is that a stormtrooper in your pocket or are you just a frequent K-Mart shopper

Star Wars "play-by now has a $200.00 Minimum"

Star Wars "a License to print money"

and of course my personal favourite:

Star Wars "Leia does Tattooine"

All of which were rejected.....

Then after the movie was released to the general public in 1977 and was found to be a huge success, the people at 20th century fox suggested making another few movies as they were very fond of the Streets Star Wars iceblocks, especially the ones in the 8 pack home box with the cut out characters on the back. The idea was knocked back at first in favour of making a series of movies about a talking Duck....this idea was later squashed.

Under pressure from 20th Century Fox, and the Southern California traffic police, whom George owed 1.5 million dollars in unpaid parking fines..

George agreed to make more of the same high adventure, Huge bugdet, special effects enriched, poorly scripted sci fi movies and so they attempted to go back and label the movie, so as it would appear to be part of a series.

Once it was agreed that the movie would become one of a series the name required revamping...

A movie title was agreed on around 1978, and so all copies of the movies were re-called, much like the VN Commodore and the necessary alterations were made

Unfortunately the guy responsible for the text on the film, was not very good when it came to reading Georges hand writing.

The memo sent from George actually Read:

"Star Wars - I've got a new hope,

but the near sighted graphics guy misread it and thought it said IV A New Hope.... This error was in fact the pivotal reason for 20th century fox making the next 2 movies as they would have been embarrassed and flayed by the general public for not adding 5 and 6 to the saga.

It became fashionable thereafter to demonstrate the inability to count in Hollywood by making movies oput of sequence to keep the general public completely confused, bacause, be honest, what idiot in the 1970's would make a movie and make it the first in a series..no no no far better to release a movie 30+ years in advance of the actual story you are trying to pitch. YOU MUST START AT 4 !

I hope that you have enjoyed this factual account of the naming of Star Wars, and have been as bored reading it as I was to type it LOL

Sleep well kiddy winks.

"D"

13. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    "Star Wars - I've got a new hope,

but the near sighted graphics guy misread it and thought it said IV A New Hope..

Love this bit....explains so much! :p

14. evil-incarnate

Jun 30, 2004
    Stands up & applauds......

Tha "spammie" for the most sarcastic response on a thread goes to....... DPM.....

Well done & keep up the good work

15. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    And imagine the time he wasted on that one! Brilliant...

16. Da_Phantom_Menace

Apr 17, 2005
    Awwww shucks...it wasn't wasting time, I did it for you all I consider it an investment.

17. evil-incarnate

Jun 30, 2004
    Gimme a cuddle ya big PALOOKA.

18. _Master-Skywalker_

_Master-Skywalker_ Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 30, 2005
    =D==D= I never knew all that !! The man is a genius =D==D=

19. evil-incarnate

Jun 30, 2004
    He's a VERITABLE PLETHORA of useless facts & misleading information.
    A former job of DPM was working for the POLLIT Bureau in Russia......

20. Da_Phantom_Menace

Apr 17, 2005
    yeah but only cos I didnt have the legs to be a table dancer !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.