main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A visit to Marquette

Discussion in 'Archive: Milwaukee, WI' started by Mauler_II, Jan 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mauler_II

Mauler_II Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    I was thinking of heading down to Marquette to see the Tolkien archives. Anyone else interested?

Zeppo - can you give us any advice as to when and where we should go?

2. Bishop76

Bishop76 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2002
    Definitely up for it some time.

Jeff

3. TheWampas1138

TheWampas1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    If it's in the archives, don't we have to get permission? Maybe Zeppo knows, well actually I'm sure he knows. But I would really be up for something like that. I think it would be amazingly cool.

M

4. solo414

solo414 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2002
    I'd love to go! I'm leaving for Oshkosh again on the 1st, so I'd have to go before that. :) Good idea, btw.

5. A_New_HopeLily

A_New_HopeLily Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 29, 2002
    I think that'd be awesome. :)

6. jedisister

jedisister Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 1, 2001
    That would be very interesting!

7. bwing53

bwing53 Jedi Master star 3

May 7, 2002
    I'd definitely be in for that--even if its just for a few minutes.

8. Skywalker1138

Skywalker1138 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2002
    I'll go get his attention. Hopefully he'll post soon on this. I'd be up for it too!

9. Zepo

Zepo Jedi Youngling

May 14, 2002
    Sorry for the delay, guys.

OK, here's the deal. The Marquette University archives is open to all visitors. However, it is open only during the week from 9am-5pm, which rarely works for most people. Checking out the materials is pretty cool, as Marquette has various originals that are on display on the walls. (I *highly* recommend that if you go, take the time to read the 5 page 'epilogue' chapter on display that Tolkien wrote, but did not include in the final printing of the book - pretty interesting, especially if you know the books and their context)...but I digress.

I can arrange for the Milwookie Fan Force to get a special tour through the exhibit (in which the archivist will take out various originals and show them to us in person (otherwise researchers and visitors can only use the microfilm of the collection to study the material and look at things -- to obviously preserve and protect the originals)).

If you are interested I need a date that works for:
    1) Marquette (so we can all go and actually see something other than a building) :)
    2) me (so I can go, as I know the archivist and he will probably open for me at a time they are usually closed)
    3) you (so we all need to pick a date that works for most of us - WEEKDAY NIGHTS 5pm-7pm are best for Marquette).

So, I await your interest and a proposed date. This would be a great trip.

BTW, the original name of "The Lord of the Rings" (per the other thread) was "THE MAGIC RING" then Tolkien changed it to "The Lord of the Ring" (singular) before settling on the final title. *VERY COOL* to see it written on the cover page and crossed out by his own hand.

10. bwing53

bwing53 Jedi Master star 3

May 7, 2002
    Wow. That's all I can say. Actually, I can also say that any day is fine by me--I can usually have off any night as long as I know about it a week in advance. Is earlier better (what with the new semester just beginning), or would sometime over Marquette's spring break work better? I think I speak for everyone when I say that arranging this is most generous of you, Zepo--thanks a lot!

11. Skywalker1138

Skywalker1138 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2002
    Well, if we have to choose a weeknight, I could leap straight from work and be there around
    5:30 p.m. on a Tuesday or Wednesday

(any night but the 25th, 26th & 27th of Feb.)

I'd need to know where to park though. Anyone else?

12. Mauler_II

Mar 13, 2002
    Sounds good to me. Why don't you (Zeppo) find out which night works best for the person that will be conducting the tour and we will adjust to your schedule.

...and THANK YOU!!!

BTW - CAn we take pictures?

:)

13. Zepo

Zepo Jedi Youngling

May 14, 2002
    Well, seems like there is interest for the Fan Force to check this out. I will contact Marquette and see what day works for them.

It may take a week (or two or three) to coordinate this event depending on the archivist's availability.

BTW, sorry Mauler II, photographs are not permitted in the archives for two reasons:

1) High intensity light can damage original materials (ever leave a book in the sunlight and see it fade or yellow?)
    2) The Tolkien Estate still hold copyright on all materials in the archives and *ALL* reproductions (to include photos, photocopies, microfilm reproductiones, etc.) must be approved by the estate ion writing. Needless to say a near impossible task.

Sorry, bud. But a photo of us outside might be a good memory as well. :)

I'll be in touch...

14. DarthWK

DarthWK Jedi Youngling

Oct 22, 2002
    Wow, that would be awesome... Odds are I wouldn't be able to go with you guys, as my work and school schedules are pretty much insane right now... Is this a permanent exhibit thingie, or is it just here for a while? I have to see this, even if it is as a solitary nerd. ^_^

15. Figrin_D_an

Figrin_D_an Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2002
    I'll definately find away to make it for this... i've been to the archives before, but getting to see the manuscripts close up would be completely worth the trip. :)

16. solo414

Mar 28, 2002
    Would it be possible to make this totally cool trip on a Saturday? That's about the only free day I possibly have in the month of February.

17. Mauler_II

Mar 13, 2002
    We're waiting on some dates from Zepo - but it looks like weekday evenings are it.

18. solo414

Mar 28, 2002
    That's what I figured. You'll just have to tell me all about it! :)

19. SySnootles

SySnootles Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2002
    I'm sure it's going to suck, Megan. ;-)

20. solo414

Mar 28, 2002
    Yeah. I'm sure I won't be missing anything interesting at all. You'll probally have a horrible time and I'll be glad not to be there. ;)

21. CaptMereel

CaptMereel Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 11, 2002
    I would be interested in going and can make almost any weekday except Thursday (fencing from 5-7PM just down the block from Marquette at the MCM building). If I know far enough in advance I may be able to bring one or two non-Milwookiee Council people as well who are Tolkien fans.

22. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    Can we delay this until after February? I will be out of the state for about half the month.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.