main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Whole New World: Episode VII Music[Score News and Speculation]

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by General Kenobi , Oct 30, 2012.

1. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Ooh, I L-O-V-E McNeely's sewer music from SOTE! That is pure Star Wars in my ears.
    I think JW will do EpVII, though - as long as he is alive and well.

"I truly, deeply, love that music"
    /LM

2. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I think the Ep 7 question depends entirely on who directs the film, because I believe Williams is only working with directors he's previously worked with, trusts and knows their style. He might not be willing to do a whole new face, even if it is Star Wars. Time will tell.

3. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    GL wasnt the director for two of seven SW films. :p Williams will do these-practically all the major players involved (particularly Kathleen Kennedy) is somebody he has collaborated with before.

4. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Williams only working with directors he's previously done is something that started when he semi-retired, not 1980 and 1983, as you suggest.

5. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Okay? GL is still "creative consultant", which is a pretty big deal when he created the series to begin with obviously. JW'll score them.

6. BrachioInGen

BrachioInGen Jedi Youngling

Nov 5, 2012
    What might be worth mentioning is that for Superman, although Williams only did the first film (although you could almost argue he did the 2nd too lol) he did write themes for some of the other films.

I can imagine a similar deal where he works with the composer, maybe providing a theme or two

7. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    I wanna give a shout out to Beggar's Canyon Chase, myself. Greatest Star Wars action piece ever written.

8. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    That's a good one, too :)
    Yeah, why not? That sounds like a really good idea, actually!

"This time, we will do it together"
    /LM

9. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I am just saying that it's not a foregone conclusion that Williams will score them, especially as Disney has said they want to release a new SW film every 2-3 years, from now on. Eventually he won't be scoring them.

10. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    He only did it for Superman IV, if I'm correct.

11. Neil lowery

Neil lowery Jedi Youngling

Nov 8, 2012
    I hope jw does ep 7 but we will wait and see?

12. SithLord_1270

SithLord_1270 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 5, 2008
    I cannot imagine anyone who could do it other than JW. Star Wars has a distinctive style.

13. SidoDyas

SidoDyas Jedi Master star 1

Mar 19, 2002
    I don't have a direct link to the page, but somewhere in the JWFan forums, a user said that he / she quickly asked John Williams about episode 7 after a concert and Williams replied "I'll try!". Take that as you will, but it sounds like he's up composing the music as long as he is able to do it when the time comes. :)

DarthBoba likes this.
  14. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Just let Williams make them. They'll be the best damn musicals ever. :p

15. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012
    I really really really really really really really really really (X8,00000000000000000000) hope that John Williams composes the music. I mean, he knows how everything works with the Star Wars music cause he did every movie. Plus he's a genius.

If JW doesn't compose it, my second choice would be Howard Shore, the genius behind the LOTR soundtrack. That music is beautiful and emotional. Half of the LOTR movies are the music. He did an amazing job...fav scene was when Aragorn is like "My friends, you bow to know one" in ROTK. That scene would be no where near as emotional and tear jerking if it didn't have HS's music.

16. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    That's John Williams' polite answer to everything... If you asked him if he's going to score Harry Potter 9 he'll say the same thing lol.

17. EUdiscoverer1136

EUdiscoverer1136 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 18, 2012
    Oh, wow. You know... John Williams's age never for a moment occured to me! I guess I always considered him ageless. I'm sure someone else could do it, but it would have to be a very carefully considered choice. However you slice it, though... and CW and SOTE aside... a Star Wars film without Johnny just seems.. well.. wrong. I know the reality of the situation, but I'll be very interested to keep an eye on this issue... and hope they get it right.

18. Figrin D'aniel

Figrin D'aniel Jedi Master star 2

Jan 12, 2013
    With the new announcement of J.J. Abrams likely directing, if John Williams doesn't pan out, Michael Giacchino will probably do the score granted that he does the music for almost everything J.J. does.

Some examples of Michael Giacchino's amazing spine-tingling music:

DarthRelaxus and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  19. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I agree that the JJ Abrams announcement makes Michael Giacchino a pretty sure bet. I think it's more likely that he will either do a score based on Williams' themes or maybe at most, Williams will pen a few new themes for Giacchino to use along with the entire catalog of Star Wars themes. I dunno, I just don't see Williams coming out of semi-retirement and working with a brand new director (to him) now. Even for Star Wars. And a new trilogy would be ten years. I don't think he's going to make that type of commitment. I say let Giacchino take the reins.

Figrin D'aniel likes this.
  20. Figrin D'aniel

Jan 12, 2013
    I think a John Williams/Michael Giacchino collaboration at least for the first film would be the best option but even if Williams isn't involved in any capacity I will be a happy camper as long as 3 things happen:

1. The music is a very important aspect of the film as it has been in all the other films (not just in the backround)
    2. At least some of John William's original themes are used and tied into the movie but in an appropriate and fitting way, not just tacked on.
    3. There are recurring themes and motifs for characters/settings/events.

The first and last are something that happened very frequently in LOST with Giacchino and Abrams so this makes me very excited!

21. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Oh I agree with all three points you make. It HAS to be the same sort of musical tapestry it's always been. They HAVE to use many of the original themes from the saga. Have you heard the music from the new Star Tours? That was done by Michael Giacchino and I swear I thought it was Williams. Sounded great, used the existing themes. Wonderful stuff.

22. Figrin D'aniel

Jan 12, 2013
    :eek: I did not know Michael Giacchino did the music for the new Star Tours! I've been on the original Star Tours but I haven't been to Disney World since 2010 so I haven't gotten a chance to go on the new one yet. I really want to sometime soon though!

23. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I loved the music. Really glad they did a good job with it.

24. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    It's going to be Michael Giacchino.

He's written the scores for all of Abrams theatrical films, and the TV pilots Abrams directed (Alias, Lost). He's the go to composer for anything Bad Robot is involved in. As much as I love Williams (the man is my favorite film composer), I think it's time to start anew. Giacchino writes lush, memorable film scores and can channel John Williams like no other composer... I highly recommend listening to his score for "Super 8" which just drips of Williams. Also give a listen to his score for "John Carter" which is suitably epic.

Yancy

25. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    In music, composers typically can "rip" off themes and cues from existing source material, so I bet that even if JW doesn't score the films himself, whoever they get (I guess Giacchino as well, but you never know) will definitely have to use the SW style and existing themes regardless because any major deviation from those wouldn't pan out.