main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Whole New World: Episode VII Music[Score News and Speculation]

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by General Kenobi , Oct 30, 2012.

1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I would suggest John Williams be a sort of overseer of the soundtrack or something along those lines.

DarthBoba likes this.
  2. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Just listened to the Super 8 score the other day, and yes, it's very Williams-y, as is appropriate for a 80s nostalgia film.

3. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    My preference:

If not John Williams then James Horner. If not James Horner, then Hans Zimmer. If not Hans Zimmer, then James Newton Howard.

Williams
    Horner
    Zimmer
    Howard

In that order..

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  4. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Since John Williams age might be an issue for the later episodes, why not have him set the stage by composing Episode 7's score like he did with the first Harry Potter movie? Subsequent composers can then borrow from his themes.

5. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013
    Giacchino's Trek score sucked. He had basically two themes: a generic "Trek" theme that he hammered into every scene possible at the same basic tempo and orchestration, and that frakking erhu theme for all things Vulcan.

If you want to see how a GOOD composer scores a film using a singular theme, but reorchestrating it for various moods, see Goldsmith's TMP score.

Back on topic: there are a number of good composers who scored the Old Republic game that would make excellent composers for the new films.

You can hear samples of the various scores here:

Go to the actual YT page for the whole playlist.

6. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I like Giacchino's music, but as you pointed out, Kev Snowmane, it lacks variety. He usually has one or two good themes for a film (or show), and the rest is sort of blase filler or -- in the case of Trek -- he overdoes on that single theme.

Because of his previous connections with Abrams and Disney (he's practically Pixar's default go-to man at this point), I would guesstimate he's the most likely candidate at this point. As dolphin suggested, Horner, Howard and Zimmer are all very possible as well... I would even suggest Harry Gregson-Williams too (Disney's Narnia series comes to mind).

7. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    All the soundtracks have been brilliant. But for me the Williams brilliance is epitomised in Empire when the Falcon is desperately trying to escape the Star Destroyer, Tie Fighters and the hyperdrive won't work. The music all the way up to where the Falcon does a loop de loop into the cave on the asteroid (through the asteroid field with the fighters in hot pursuit) is vintage Williams! Absolutely ****ing fantastic!!!

8. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    My highlight from that film is Hyperspace, actually. Just sounds like they're breaking instruments because of how hard the orchestra is going :p

9. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    What the scene on Bespin?

10. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
  11. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    That's going to be the absolute make-it-or-break-it task for the (hypothetical) new composer -- can they make new themes as memorable as Williams'? Williams is/was a master of motifs. How many other composers are out there now who can claim to do the same?

12. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    There are none IMO

13. Kev Snowmane

Jan 1, 2013
    *Cough* Howard Shore *Cough*

14. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Shore also is guilty of hammering the same few motifs into the entire film. ;)

15. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    It's gonna be Giacchino or Williams. I would bet money on it.

16. Kev Snowmane

Jan 1, 2013
    Hardly. Shore like Williams is a master of "leitmotif". Yes, themes are repeated sometimes, but in different tempos, orchestrations, etc.

Giacchino (sp?) Is a "one theme wonder" and Trek is the perfect example of "same theme, same orchestration, same tempo" again and again and again and again.

17. Figrin D'aniel

Figrin D'aniel Jedi Master star 2

Jan 12, 2013
    I beg to differ that he is a "one theme wonder".

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Musical_themes

18. Kev Snowmane

Jan 1, 2013
    Beg if you wish, his most recent genre offering I am aware of (Trek) was as subtle as a hammer and about as varied as Mao-ist Chinese fashion..

19. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Giacchino had time to work on the variety for Lost, but his Pixar films tend to be like Trek -- one main theme, sometimes two counting a secondary character/villain, and that's about it.

Even when Williams wasn't writing a "theme" per se, his music had so much variety it could be used again and again and again in the videogames and still seem original. Say for instance, the Bespin or Dagabah or even Jawa "themes" -- they're really only used once in the films, but the second you see a Jawa or travel to Bespin in a videogame, you're sure to hear that theme music playing. I just can't see Giacchino pulling that off.

(I should note I *do* like Giacchino's music -- I don't want to sound like I'm trashing the poor guy's work. But he's just not Williams.)

20. Kev Snowmane

Jan 1, 2013
    I liked his score for "The Incredibles". He showed some range there...but his more recent work just is too repetitive and certainly isn't Star Wars.

21. bluelantern714

bluelantern714 Jedi Youngling

Apr 2, 2013
    If Williams doesn't do it (which would not be ideal to say the least), I say Kevin Kiner. He's done excellent work on The Clone Wars, and that he hasn't done many films doesn't bother me. He's proven that he's a terrific composer who can do Williams' Star Wars justice while adding his own ideas and themes/motifs at the same time. He's also quite versatile. If not him, John Ottman. He came to Superman Returns personally recommended by Williams and did a great job, too. My third choice off the top of my head would maybe be Michael Giacchino. Not the perfect choice, but his Star Trek score was good. Howard Shore would be an interesting one as well....

dolphin likes this.
  22. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
  23. Kev Snowmane

Jan 1, 2013
    Williams is retired. He only did the PT as a favor for George.

24. SnakeWesker

SnakeWesker Jedi Master star 1

Apr 21, 2006
    He just did Lincoln last year. And he has even said he wants to score the ST.

25. Kev Snowmane

Jan 1, 2013
    That's news. Last I'd heard he was retired.