main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Whole New World: Episode VII Music[Score News and Speculation]

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by General Kenobi , Oct 30, 2012.

1. Darth Ridiculis

Darth Ridiculis Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 15, 2013
    I still had high hopes for a choral score from the Sand People Choir.

Jedi Gunny and Sarge like this.
  2. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    We have a more mature theme for Luke. It's called the Force theme. ;)

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  3. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I associate that theme a whole lot more with Obi-Wan than Luke, though.

4. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    It's used mostly not in association with Obi-Wan, when you look at the whole saga so far...

5. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Sure, but it's definitely not explicitly linked with Luke, either, especially since he's basically not in half the films in question. It's more a general "Jedi/the Force" theme.

We had (somewhat) of a theme evolution with Anakin's theme and the Imperial March in the prequels (although I think most people took Williams' remarks about Anakin's Theme evolving into the March way too literally-it just gets used less over the prequels in favor of the March); would like something similar for Luke. Assuming Luke matches Hamill's age, he's going to be less central hero and more Yoda-y, I think; he deserves some older-sounding music.

6. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Right, in Ep 7 we can pretty much count on Luke being the wise old Jedi, steeped in the Force...

7. Darth Ridiculis

Jul 15, 2013
    I think it'd be pretty awesome if Luke or the Skywalker's in general got a theme that was a more triumphant version of the Imperial March, playing off of Vader's redemption. It'd be more upbeat and victorious sounding, intertwined with the Force theme perhaps.

8. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000

Doesn't mean we should just have more Force theme for him. :p

Darth Ridiculis: We already had Happy March with Anakin's theme.

9. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    I demand the inclusion of the Happy Senators' Theme!

10. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    The Moth Theme too!

11. Darth Ridiculis

Jul 15, 2013
    Yeah, but that theme is more subdued and laid back, I'm saying a more mature and triumphant theme.

12. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Without knowing what the film is about, what the tone will be and what characters will be doing, it's kind of hard to speculate on the mood of the music...

13. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Well, if it follows the other two trilogies, the first one will have the most themes involved (mostly happy/bold, etc.), the second one will have more "mature" themes, more moody stuff in comparison, and then the third we would have to wait and see, because those two films diverged quite a bit from each other.

14. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I think all bets are off with it following the other two trilogies. There is no way of knowing where this one will go.

15. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Well, given that Abrams announced not terribly long ago that he wants Williams, we can assume the main theme will be in place :p

Good point, though-TPM's not terribly like the OT as far as music goes, I'd say.

16. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    As always, I am stoked for new uses of the main theme and the Force theme. And I dunno, I think TPM has very much Star Wars elements in the music. But it has some new sounds and styles as well.

17. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Well, just offhand-TPM has more score to begin with; I don't think there's a scene where there isn't music playing. That's not really the case for the OT. Plus of course the only 'classical' theme outside of the main theme to really make the transition was the Force theme; the March is there, but not to the extent it is in TESB and ROTJ (for example).

18. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    What about the Emperor/Sidious's theme?

19. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, that too. Also Yoda's (I think that was in the council scenes) :p

Still:

Imperial March, Luke & Leia's Theme, Leia's individual theme, Droid motif, and Rebel fanfare were all either used sparingly (the March) or not at all; granted, that's because at least a few (Rebel fanfare and Leia's individual theme) wouldn't have made any sense to use in the first place, but there wouldn't have been anything emphatically wrong about using the Luke/Leia theme in scenes with Anakin and Shmi, for example-it's a family theme, after all.

20. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yoda's was used once, as was Jabba's theme. Plus remember, we had a bunch of new themes that were used throughout the PT. And woven in with existing themes in Ep2 and 3. Also, Leia's theme was used at the end of ROTS, exactly where it should have been. And I would not want Luke and Leia's theme used in TPM for Shmi and Anakin. I was ecstatic with the new themes for both characters. Shmi's theme is amazing.

DarthBoba likes this.
  21. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    That's what I'm saying, though. New music was the rule, not the exception, for TPM.

22. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I think that's a fair accessment. But consider that it rewound to the beginning of the story. As a continuation of the story, Episode 7 likely will contain a lot of elements that will draw on existing themes. Certainly a lot more than TPM did. Who knows tho. I still think nothing is a sure bet. It's all possible at this point I think.

23. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    True. Episode 7 is in a curious place, though; if we take the ending of Jedi literally, there's no more Empire and no more Rebellion-definitely sounds like a fertile stage for new themes.

I'm halfway tempted to think of post-ROTJ Star Wars as analogous to post WW2 Europe-a bit of a chaotic place with a couple major power blocks that the lesser powers orbit around.

24. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world but I find the opening trumpet blast in the SW Main theme a big jarring. I edit my SW Main Theme audio files to start at the 90 second mark when the loud noise starts to die down. I love the transitions at that point from the loud trumpets. You can almost imagine the camera panning down from the story crawl down to the beginning of the movie.

25. TrueSith

TrueSith Jedi Youngling

Dec 2, 2013
    I think we're possibly going to hear these themes in Ep.VII:

A.The Main Title theme

1. The Force theme

2. Luke's theme (aka the rebel theme)

3. Leia's theme

4. Brother and Sister( aka Luke and Leia's theme)

5. Han and Leia's theme(this could be altered to create a new theme for their children like Anakin's theme for Ep.1 that has the imperial march quote at the end)

6. The droid's theme(for C-3P0 and R2-D2 that's at the beginning of their scenes in ROTJ) has potential to be used

7. Cloud City theme could be adapted for Lando if he comes back

8.Yoda's, Palpatine's, or Qui-Gon's theme if they come back as a ghost or are just mentioned. This could also happen with the Imperial March being used if the former Empire is mentioned or with any character that has a theme(Jabba,Shmi, Jar Jar,etc.) being mentioned

As for new themes, each movie in the saga adds at least three new themes, so I think we will get a theme for the new hero/heroine, the new Sith villain, a new action sequence 'theme'(like the asteroid field music in Empire or the chase music on Coruscant in Ep.2, etc.) and for something else (a new Hutt? a new bounty hunter? a new sidekick? a new species? a new military threat?)
    Finally, the music in both the PT and the OT start out optimistic in tone in the first installment and then gradually get darker with each movie. This might be done in the ST, or it could go in reverse.