main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Whole New World: Episode VII Music[Score News and Speculation]

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by General Kenobi , Oct 30, 2012.

1. Starwarsfan1439

Starwarsfan1439 Jedi Youngling

Oct 25, 2013
    I sure hope he does!!!

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I'd love to see Murray Gold from Doctor Who create a soundtrack for a Star Wars movie.

3. fuzzbox77

fuzzbox77 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 31, 2008
    I've only just seen the thread and it's a great debate on here...

I loved Williams' score for all six SW movies - it represented a continuation where even if the last 3 movies themselves weren't briilliant - the score grabbed the scene and made it flow better. And his scores for SW/ESB and somewhat ROTJ were almost flawless. However, his scores for the PT have been somewhat slower in tempo than his classic offerings

I sincerely hope that JTW is healthy and along for the ride for Episode VII-IX - but if in the sad circumstances he wasn't... then my attention could be only turned to one composer firstly - Joel McKneely. His score for Shadows of the Empire was a great addition to the franchise even if it was EU. If he could write and orchestrate that score for a novel with the Scottish National Orchestra that had such depth, then think of what he could do with the LSO!!!

Thereafter - I think the only other person would be Michael Giacchino. All in all - keeping my fingers crossed for Mr Williams to be in the position to continue.

4. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    Giacchino has always been JJ's 'go to' guy. I was honestly surprised that JW is committed to all 3 sequels. Maybe its my own cynicism, but I had figured the "system" would consider his age and pass on him. I'm so excited to hear his score- almost as much as the movie itself.

McNeely did a fine job on Young Indy. He's been accused of being derivative and taking ideas from JW, but I think a lot of that hooey is due in large part to directors laying down temp tracks from JW scores and saying 'make it sound like that' which McNeely does. His SW:Shadows of the Empire soundtrack is really good. It took some time to grow on me and I didn't dig it at first, but it's a really very good.

5. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    John Carter proved that Giacchino is the spiritual successor to John Williams. Hollywood's golden age redivivus.

6. Mr. K

Oct 23, 1999
    I'll take Giacchino over contemporary drivel like Hans Zimmer and his team of ghostcomposers any day.

fuzzbox77 and FRAGWAGON like this.
  7. FRAGWAGON

Nov 3, 2012
    I do like the Pirates soundtracks. But Giacchino is on another level. Not Korngold, or Steiner. That's Asgard.

8. Mr. K

Oct 23, 1999
    Hans Zimmer did some good scores and has his moments. I think back to Backdraft, Gladiator, Crimson Tide, and even a few cues from Batman Begins & Pirates. But he's over-rated, especially his very large opinion of himself.

Korngold- the first time I heard King's Row & Sea Hawk, I thought 'that's SW!' JW got inspiration from a truly great source. Except for Gone With the Wind, I'm not familiar with Steiner's work, I'll check him out.

John Carter has a great soundtrack. Shame the movie didn't hit it off.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  9. FRAGWAGON

Nov 3, 2012
    Bernard Hermann too, check him out. Korngold is my favorite, and The Sea Hawk is amazing.

Mr. K likes this.
  10. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I came to the realization the other day: have a strong feeling that we will be hearing the "Han and Leia love theme" from ESB in episode VII!

Among other familiar themes of course… I don't know, but it just got me excited for some new Star Wars score!

I'm actually also really excited to hear some brand-new themes! I felt the new themes introduced in the PT were incredible – worthy of Star Wars score. I'm sure the ST will be no different!

Just imagine… Nine episodes worth of Star Wars score… [face_hypnotized]

11. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Well, sorry, I made a post in here by mistake. Damn geezer ex-admins. I'm heading back to the Old Folk's Home now.

fuzzbox77 likes this.
  12. Darth Cyn

Darth Cyn Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 8, 2014
    Although I'd have enjoyed to see how Hans Zimmer would do Star Wars, I read somewhere that John Williams is confirmed to be returning to compose the ST.