main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends A Wider Focus - one-post - Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan contemplation

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by ardavenport, Sep 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Title: A Wider Focus
    Author: ardavenport
    Timeframe: pre-Episode I, pre-TPM
    Genre: drama
    Characters: Obi-Wan Kenobi, Qui-Gon Jinn
    Keywords: Obi-Wan Kenobi, Qui-Gon Jinn, Force, focus
    Summary: Obi-Wan keeps watch and the Force reveals new things to him.
    Notes: Typo is my middle name, with missing words and errors that spell checkers do not catch being my speciality - if you see any, just post a reply or send a PM with the what and where and I will kill them with no mercy.
    Disclaimer: All characters and the Star Wars universe belong to George and Lucasfilm; I am just playing in their sandbox.

Obi-Wan Kenobi listened to the night.

Outside the small domed hut the night twittered and hummed, alive with insects and tiny animals. Little chirps and tik-tik sounds came in through the high, screened windows. And the low huuuuummmmm of six seek-and-attack droids, circling closer than had been agreed to, but still maintaining an even distance.

Inside, the flickering sim-fire light from the hut's center pit turned everything to shades of yellow-orange and deep dark shadows stretching out over the walls.

Sitting cross-legged before the artificial light, Obi-Wan saw everything with all his senses.

The hut around him, a round hemisphere, separate from the other buildings of the abandoned settlement, empty, some of the local night fauna already come out of the forest, scratching and probing for openings. The night wind rustled in the tall trees and the long grasses.

Six seeker-killer droids hovered just above the doorway height, circling in the air, closer than had been agreed to, but still far enough away so that their hum blended in with the insects and night peepers.

And nearby, Cheziter, curled protectively around her egg, nearly mature and half buried in the fine birthing sand. An egg that none of Commander Techerian's crew would move until its hatching, or worse, part from its mother.

The hatchling in the egg slept.

The night outside remained thickly black, a planetside opaqueness that concealed things, not the void of space. But Obi-Wan felt dawn approaching.

And next to him, on their side of the sim-fire, Obi-Wan's Master was dreaming.

Random flickers of memory. The halls of the Jedi Temple. Dusty ground. Blue sky. A low humming sound like the seekers outside.

Obi-Wan had never sensed his Master's sleeping thoughts so clearly before.

People in iridescent loin clothes with long necks and wing flaps under their arms and green spotted skin. Drinking tea. And passing sticks and boots around.

Obi-Wan smiled. He had only been sitting his turn at watch, his awareness opened to everything around them. Cheziter and her egg. The night creatures outside. And especially the seekers, hovering in the dark. Qui-Gon's dreaming was a new discovery for him. A sharpness and maturity in his senses that he had not realized until now.

The spotted people kicked over potted plants as they drank more tea and littered the pathway with boots. Seeker droids blasted them with needle thin bolts of orange energy, puffs of smoke rising from each one. Somebody was complaining about it from a Temple walkway above.

By the sim-fire, the hatchling in the egg stirred. The tension in the small unborn creature rapidly increased, as if filling the egg with the pressure its need to be born. But the mother remained restlessly unaware.

He hesitated. Cheziter had been adamant that they not come near her or her hatchling.

'None of your Jedi tricks! You're not tricking me into going! This hatchling's going to be born in her home! Our home!' Commander Techerian had taken her side for this one delay, unwilling to interfere with the sanctity of a mother's rites of birth.

So, now, they would wait. They had waited and watched while the system security patrol had herded weeping and cursing families together, forcing them to collect only what they could in a day, leaving the rest of the illegal settlement behind. The treaty that would finalize territory disputes that

2. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    I love these stories that are little moments with oftentimes momentous discoveries. Love it.

3. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    another lovely little piece with great insights=D==D=

4. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I loved this! You're always so good at exploring the various facets of relationships, and this was as well done as the rest of your work (which is a true compliment, btw).

Lovely, yet again. =D=

5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Excellent detailing and characterizations.

=D=

:D

You make me feel I'm right in the middle with your clear vivid words.

:)

6. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    Nice.

7. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Valairy_Scot, earlybird-obi-wan, VaderLVR64, Jade_eyes, ratna

Thanks for reading! Given what Jedi are supposed to be able to do, it seems likely that they could sense each other's dreams, and that this ability would develop for Obi-Wan as he got older. An interesting discovery for him, I think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.