main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A-Wing pilot questions

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Oscar_the_Gungan, Mar 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oscar_the_Gungan

Oscar_the_Gungan Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 1, 2001
    I've been thinking of trying to put together an A-Wing pilot costume. One of the main reasons is I can't remember ever seeing one with one, so I thought it would be a little different. Does anyone out there hace any advice such as the helmet and things like that.

2. Skaught

Skaught Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2001
    The helmet would need to be custom sculpted, for an accurate one at least. Nothing "off the shelf" would work. I've been wanting to make one for a while.

The flight suit can be store bought (forest green), so check ebay and military surplus. Army green/drab wouldn't be accurate. The flak vest is black with a white ribbed section on the middle. The chest box is also different than an X-Wing. When I did my Y-Wing costume I researched all the pics I could find. I have some exhibit screen grabs of the A-Wing costume (wearing the Y-Wing helmet) on my site: http://www.StarWarsGeneration.com.

Good luck!

Scott

3. Reaper63

Reaper63 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    I beleive there are at least 2 A-Wing pilots in the Rebel LEgion already, and I know of at least one here in New Jersey working on the costume right now. The jumpsuit is Green, with white ejection straps. The chest box is a little different, but not impossible.

As for the helmet, I've been talking witht he local guy here, and it looks like we'll be trying to carve up a helmet to get something close to a picture he found.

4. Oscar_the_Gungan

Jan 1, 2001
    Well, let me know how it goes with the helmet, I have no idea where to even begin to do that.

5. Skaught

Sep 4, 2001
    FYI - my definition of what helmet belongs to what pilot is "What was seen in the cockpit".

There are a lot of different pilots in the background that hold various helmets, so it causes a lot of confusion. For example, the Y-Wing helmet (helmet that wraps all the way around the face) was scene worn by two different Y-Wing pilots in their cockpits, Gray Leader and the Asian guy who goes boom. This helmet was held in the briefing room by A-Wing pilots and maybe even B-Wing pilots, and as a result the action figures do to.

The Y-Wing helmet is also often confused as a B-Wing helmet because people assume the Y-Wing pilots wear the X-Wing helmet in ROTJ, like they did in ANH. We actually never see the inside of a B-Wing cockpit in the film.

The "in-cockpit" A-Wing helmet I call the "cheek helemt", because it comes down over the cheeks. This is seen on two different pilots in ROTJ.

ANyway, there's a quick commentary on the pitfall of ROTJ pilot helmet identification. You could still wear a "chin helmet" and be a canon A-Wing pilot...assuming the guys in the background wearing green are A-Wing pilots! I just like to use the closeup in-cockpit shots as the rule for who wears what.

Scott

6. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    I looked for a picture of the A-Wing model used in the film to see what ILM used for a pilot.

[image=http://jedi.nevada.edu/ed/IMAGES/Celebration%20II/SWcelebII1140.JPG]

He seems a bit oversized, but you can get a rough idea of the helmet shape and clothing colour.

Of course to add to the confusion, here is a link to a largish pic of the B-Wing model's cockpit and it shows an orange suited pilot.

B-Wing close-up

Hope that helps?

7. Skaught

Sep 4, 2001
    I wouldn't put that much into the accuracy of the models. You never see them on screen anyway, really. When I mean "in cockpit" I mean the human actors as seen in the cockpit scenes.

Scott

8. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Ah true true, but the ILM modelmakers must have gotten their clues from somewhere afterall.

It just struck me as another possible source for information on who pilots what.

9. Skaught

Sep 4, 2001
    For ROTJ, it's pretty well established that the pilots were as follows:

X-Wing - Orange suits, traditional helmets
    A-Wing - Green suits, cheek helmets
    Y-Wing - Gray suits, chin helmets
    B-Wing - Red suits, rounded helmets (seen in Chronicles book)

You can see these details in the cockpit scenes, except for the B-Wing. Each wore specific chest boxes as well.

Scott

10. Reaper63

Nov 17, 2002
    I agree with Skaught, Those are the generally agreed combos for the pilots.

The project we are doing involves making the cheek helmet.

I believe the Special additions confuse the flightsuit/helmet issue even more, I think i have seen a pilot with a blue jumpsuit added to the background of the hanger scenes, and B-Wing pilots (red suits) carrying X-Wing helmets.

As far as costuming goes, I only know of the project going on here (NJ) for the cheek helmet, and I will keep you guys updated on it. The X-Wing and Y-Wing (chin) helmets, I have seen kits for. and a frtiend of mine used an Anakin Ep 1 Helmet to make a B-Wing helmet. very inventive, and well done.

I'll keep you posted.

11. Oscar_the_Gungan

Jan 1, 2001
    I've pretty much scoured the Internet on ideas for the helmet and chest box and there isn't much out there and very little that's real helpful. I've been trying to figure out what could be used to make the helmet but I'm a little stumped.

12. Halcyonate

Halcyonate Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2004
    Any news concerning the 'cheek helmet' development?

13. Reaper63

Nov 17, 2002
    Neither helmet idea has worked yet. Can't quite get the look right. The newest theory I was dicussing with another friend is the Helmets worn by the deck Crews on US Aircraft Carriers. They seem to have the proper Soft and hard helmet qualities. The only real mod we thought would be needed would be the cheek pieces. Which you could do with Styrene and some foam padding.

But again, still just theories.

14. BroodMcEto

BroodMcEto Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 14, 2002
    I had suggested to someone one of those for a custom bounty hunter costume. Maybe if you took your idea, and maybe mounted them on something like thin coat hanger wire, so that they'd hug your face, but not so much that it was uncomfortable?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.