main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST A-Wings in Episode VIII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by ewoksimon, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Waiting for Hux telling Harry: I'm your father!

Sarge likes this.
  2. TernianVII

TernianVII Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 11, 2014
    I actually thought it looked more like a Jedi Starfighter in the actual footage shown here...

3. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    cool seeing the a-wing but i am in the "give us new ships" camp.

DARTH_BELO, dekaneas and B99 like this.
  4. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I find their lack of originality disturbing.

5. 2187-FN

2187-FN Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 5, 2016
    I hope this might mean an appearance from Hera Syndulla, since she did fly an A-Wing at least once in Rebels. Even if it is a small appearance.

6. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    It looks different from a standard a-wing - is it just the colour scheme being reversed?

7. Duke Vadewalker

Duke Vadewalker Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 5, 2016
    Oh, yeah. Because there's a heap load of visual difference between that and a basic FO TIE :p

(c'mon, I'm talking about proper updates, eg the differences between a TIE Interceptor or Bomber versus the original ANH basic fighter; not minor colour variations and added greeblies ;) )

Baron_Papanerd and MeBeJedi like this.
  8. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    It's a different version of the A-wing, with this new one staying closer to the Ralph McQuarrie concept art, just like the new X-wings did.

[​IMG]

9. Conetroooper

Conetroooper Jedi Master

Jul 19, 2006
    The color scheme is somewhat AOTC Obi-Wan's Jedi Starfighter-ish. It's even got a sort of circle emblem on the side, except more like the ROTS "Open circle" symbol than the AOTC proto-Imperial emblem. After all, in addition to the Star Destroyer like wedge shape, the color scheme and look of the Jedi starfighter were kind of influenced by the A-wing design.

Maybe it's even Luke's.

10. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    I could see it being Luke's......much like Obi-wan's similar ship in AOTC. Long-range reconnaissance ships would suit a Jedi's goals quite well.

Baron_Papanerd, dekaneas and Satipo like this.
  11. David_Skywalker01

David_Skywalker01 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2006
    I'd really love it to be Luke's... but I still don't have 100% faith the story team isn't just going to make Luke Obi/Yoda 2.0.

In my mind it is still very much in-character for Luke to have the desire to jump in a starfighter in his 60's... but I feel this story team really wants to push Rey, so much so that they will hinder Luke's character.

I'm still hoping it will belong to the New Republic (or what remains of it) as it would feel like a progression from EP VI rather than a regression like VII did.

MillenniumFalcon2015 likes this.
  12. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    You know what might be cool is if Poe is flying this because his mom was an A-Wing pilot. Maybe he uses one and its kinda an emotional moment for him. Just spit balling though.

13. Hermi_Odle

Hermi_Odle Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 18, 2011
    Sorry, I was too busy noticing Threepio's red arm :)

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  14. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Weren't we all?

15. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014

I wouldn't be surprised if Harry Cameos as an A-Wing pilot. Or maybe a Stormtrooper, like Daniel Craig. :D

nightangel and MeBeJedi like this.
  16. Conetroooper

Conetroooper Jedi Master

Jul 19, 2006

It'd be kind of neat to see a black-and-orange A-wing too. Although I don't think A-wings have a socket for BB8(but then again, maybe this new design will)

vncredleader likes this.
  17. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    well if the X-wings, A-wings and B-Wings (as the resistance transport) are getting new designs why not the Perpetual Y-wing? It be cool to see all 4 major Alliance starfighters make an appearance.

18. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    B-wings are the coolest. I defy anyone to--nevermind, I defy no one to do anything. But I liked 'em the best. If they bring back the A's and X's, they need to throw in some B's. And maybe a couple lowercase-j's and L-wings.

YOUR mother's an A-Wing pilot!

How does this post not have a JabbatheHumanBeing like? Guys, I think he might have become one with the Force.

19. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    So, I wonder if the pilot will be L'ulo. He makes an appearance, in an A-Wing, in the Poe comic. Different paint job, but there ya go. Makes sense me....the Resistance mainly has old stuff. I would like at least on cool new design.

Baron_Papanerd and Satipo like this.
  20. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    [​IMG][​IMG]

There are obviously many differences. Indeed, these rather suggest an A-Wing pre-production Ralph McQuarrie style than a reproduction of the original ROJ model.

(and no place in either one for an astro droid...)

whostheBossk and Baron_Papanerd like this.
  21. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    Cool!

22. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Rebels TV series already did A-wings with the heavier-looking engines and blue-and-white paint schemes:

23. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    ^ That one doesn't have the vent/exhaust port thingies next to the windscreen, and the scoop behind the canopy is located farther aft. Anybody see any other differences in the details?

24. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    ^^ The forward ends of the "wings" extend further to the bow in the VIII studio shot and the McQuarrie painting. They are recessed in the Rebels version and further behind in the ROJ model.

Sarge likes this.
  25. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I'm glad to see A-Wings again. Quite enjoy.

That said, I'd also like to see some new ships phased in. Not just newer modifications of older designs, but actual NEW designs. This was one of the things I enjoyed about some of the PT ships. I mean, 30 years and all that, you know?