main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Word of Advice

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by yodaman, Mar 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QuiGonJinn

QuiGonJinn Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 1998
    Mace, the mind-numbingly beautiful images from The Phantom Mencace and the Attack of the Clones trailers did not "shock" you? :(

I would be severely depressed if I ever became so desensitized that art that beautiful had no longer had any effect on me. I am half-joking with almost everything I say on these boards, but this I am completely serious about.

2. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    `To carry on the TPM example, you may catch a glimpse of Maul's double-bladed saber in the trailer but you then spend the time until the film wondering exactly what he's going to do with it.'

What did you think he was going to do with it? Make friends? ;)

3. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    I think the discussions of the stuff in the trailers are more spoilerish than the actual trailers themselves. There's several plot points I've figured out from other people's discussions of the trailers, and that's here in the non-spoiler forum! :)

I also agree that showing clips from each major battle or action sequence can harm your enjoyment of the film. Throughout TPM, I was often wondering when the droid army was going to show up, or when the podrace would happen, or when Maul would attack the Jedi, rather than just watching the film.

4. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    "Mace, the mind-numbingly beautiful images from The Phantom Mencace and the Attack of the Clones trailers did not "shock" you?

I would be severely depressed if I ever became so desensitized that art that beautiful had no longer had any effect on me.
    "

You know full well that I did not mean that at all. All I meant was that seeing an image is NOT going to spoil a film. Especially considering that I am still spoiler-free dispite the fact that I've watched three teaser trailers FULL OF IMAGES!!!

You could also look at it this way; if I was so "desensitized" to the art form that is AOTC, would I be dying to see this trailer as much as I am?

:cool: Mace Windy,
    windier than the signature feature!

5. Jazzatola

Jazzatola Jedi Grand Master star 1

Nov 16, 2001
    What did you think he was going to do with it? Make friends?

Well, I expected a teeth-flossing scene at least! :D

6. NiktosRule

NiktosRule Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2001
    I once again agree with Mace. I have seen two of the trailers and they didn't spoil me at all. Seeing that green speeder thing flying through Courscant in the first trailer did not harm me. It is seeing a new ship but you don't know if that ship does anything other than fly in the background. We know that there are going be battles in the movie. It is called Star Wars after all. And the word Wars in the title would generally imply that we will see wars and battles. I know you are just trying to help but a single image doesn't spoil you. I'll say it again seeing Maul's lightsaber in the TPM trailers didn't give away the whole plot of the movie. I think that will hold true here while a new image might surprise us it won't give away the plot of the movie.

When I see images in the trailers I don't wait for them while I'm watching the movie. I'm too busy sucking in everything and seeing a great movie. I won't be thinking to myself when is the green speeder thing going to fly by the buildings in Coruscant. I'm too busying going, "Wow, look at that!" "That was awesome!" I don't watch the movie waiting for a particular scene to come by.

If I'm wrong and an image in the trailer does spoil me then I'll tell you and thank you for the warning but I don't anticpate that happening because I don't think Lucas would show us something that clearly spoils us. Since non-spoiled people don't know the plot of the movie we can't connect an image to a plot point and what it means. It allows us to guess how it fits in and that is all. Sure we may guess right but that is part of the fun to me.

7. QuiGonJinn

Aug 1, 1998
    But you said "Face it, all of us here no Star Wars, and will not be shocked at seeing images of droids, creatures, battles, or characters. All of us know that we are to expect these things."

I in fact, did NOT know full well that you didn't mean that the visuals themselves were not enough to blow your mind.

I do feel the need to reiterate that I am talking specifically about VISUALS, NOT story. When I (or yodaman, he seems to be on the same page as me) say "spoil" I don't necessarily mean plot-wise. Maybe you don't consider anything purely visual to be a spoiler at all (that is completely your call), but I think all the new visuals are the best things about these movies (don't get me wrong, I love the story) therefore the biggest spoilers.

When you say "the art form that is AOTC" it makes me think that you're talking about the film as a whole. When I am talking specifically about the cinematography of David Tattersall, the the renderings of John Goodson (and the army of guys at ILM), the costume designs of Trisha Biggar and especially the designs of Iain McCaig, Terryl Whitlatch, Doug Chiang and the rest of the amazing artists working on the film.

If you do indeed "get it" then show this by not immediatley changing the subject to context.

8. KNIMBLEKNIGHT

KNIMBLEKNIGHT Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 8, 2002
    I'm with you, QuiGonJinn. But I would go further than saying it only spoils the "visual experience", but that is definitely my primary concern. This is Star Wars - the only true "spoil-free" souls out there are the ones who have only seen TPM and know nothing about the orignal trilogy. We might not know specific plot points going in, but let's get real, once you see a bunch of scenes, you start to get a rough idea of exactly what will happen and when. I already feel pretty spoiled by the last trailer. And then there's the "marketing/hype factor". As I pointed out before, Lucas rocks at making these trailers. Different scenes in this upcoming trailer will likely take on completely different tones in the actual movie, and when you watch the movie for the first time, some of those scenes are going to seem melodramatic, if not completely flat.

Just to reiterate, it's about having the overall experience spoiled, even though we still might be relatively spoiler-free regarding the plot.

9. Mace Windy

Jul 3, 1999
    I do feel the need to reiterate that I am talking specifically about VISUALS, NOT story. When I (or yodaman, he seems to be on the same page as me) say "spoil" I don't necessarily mean plot-wise. Maybe you don't consider anything purely visual to be a spoiler at all (that is completely your call), but I think all the new visuals are the best things about these movies (don't get me wrong, I love the story) therefore the biggest spoilers.

That is the reason for all of this argument, I guess. I don't consider the visuals presented in the trailers to be "spoilers." They are appetizers, in my opinion, for the most part. They give you something nice to look at and get excited about without giving away more than just a meager sliver of the plot or story.

Apparently we just won't be able to agree on this issue, so, if you don't mind, I'd like to draw it to a close.

10. QuiGonJinn

Aug 1, 1998
    I was just frustrated that no one seemed to understand what Yodaman (or I) was saying. :)

11. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    This trailer does confirm one thing. George is good at disinformation. Do always take what George and Rick say as a golden nugget of truth. They'll surprise you in the end.

12. Emperor_Dan

Emperor_Dan Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 1999
    I understand what you're saying, but they're just visuals! We're going to see them some time or another. By your logic, we might as well not see the movie.

It's WHAT, WHY, and WHERE that we don't want to know.

13. d8camjordan3

d8camjordan3 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    I will watch it as soon as it comes online. I will not wait till Ice Age because DO YOU KNOW WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF I DO WAIT TILL THEN?
    SOME FREAKIN LOUD KID OR SOME DUMB NERD WILL BE TALKING, YELLING, SPITTING, CRYING OR POOPING ALL OVER THE PLACE DURING THE TRAILER AND SOME PEOPLE WILL LAUGH ABOUT IT BECAUSE OF THE WAY THEY DIDNT LIKE EPISODE ONE (I WANT TO SLAP THEM ALL VERY HARD)

14. Harlowe Thrombey

Harlowe Thrombey Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 19, 1999
    Pooping? Now that is funny. I can see how your viewing of the trailer would be ruined by kids running around all over the theater pooping everywhere!

15. Darth Fierce

Darth Fierce Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2000
    T minus ten minutes.

Be strong! Don't watch.

BE STRONG.

I'm even leaving the house so my wife can watch it.

STRONG.

16. KNIMBLEKNIGHT

Mar 8, 2002
    Wow - that was a tough two and half minutes, but I'm glad to say I resisted the temptation. It feels good - I think the worst is behind me. 2 months - no problem!

To those who weren't sure whether you were going to watch it but did wind up watching it - any regrets? Without going into detail about what you saw, did it reveal anything you didn't want to see/know about?

17. NiktosRule

NiktosRule Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2001
    The trailer didn't spoil me at all. I learned a little about the plot but not a whole lot.

Man you guys that aren't watching the trailer are strong and brave men. You did miss out on something amazing but I comend you for your strength.

18. KNIMBLEKNIGHT

Mar 8, 2002
    I do feel a bit left out, but that's ok. I'll catch all the action on May 16th! And trailers are timeless - I'll enjoy watching it after the movie comes out.

19. Mace Windy

Jul 3, 1999
    Seriously, I don't feel any more spoiled coming out than I did going in. I suggest that you consider watching the trailer, even if you only check it out once. The cuts are so darn quick that watching it the first time you are only overwelmed and excited. Little is revealed about the plot. The trailer is just a way to get your heart pumping. Every fan should check it out! :D

20. KNIMBLEKNIGHT

Mar 8, 2002
    It's tempting, Mace. Very tempting. In the final two months leading upto TPM, I probably watched those trailers at least 3 times a day. I don't think I can trust myself not to do the same thing once I've seen this new trailer for the first time. And I don't want to bring up the same debate again, but it's not the plot stuff I'm worried about spoiling. I'm glad everybody else is enjoying it, though.

21. opinion

opinion Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 2001
    ...the trailer wasnt very spoiling...you can tell that the few clips of action we saw are going to be nothing compared to what we will see in the theater...

22. prof_frink

prof_frink Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 1, 1999
    Well - I gave in and watched it - and quite frankly (being an unspoiled member) I don't feel spiled at all, I'm pretty much in the dark as to what the major twists in the movie are...

The tricky part now is staying out of the forums - because the analysis of the trailer begins, and that's where the spoilers come out... The other thing to avoid is watching it over and over for the next 2 months - that's what I did with the TPM trailers, and I think that was a bad idea...

So as a hardcore non-spoiler - I deem the trailer safe, and would also like to add a 'wow' - that was something...

23. opinion

opinion Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 2001
    ...i totally agree about the trailer analysis and the watching over and over points P_Fink...

...not sure ill be able to stay away from here for 2 months...

24. PruneF8ce

PruneF8ce Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    Havent seen it either. :D

25. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    Right. I started the download at 10:40am, it finished about 15 minutes ago for me at around 1:10pm.
    I've saved it in all possible ways I can.

Now... will I watch it or not? Should I read the offical thread or not?

Hmmmm...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.