main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A, X, Y Pilots?

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by ObeyTheFist, Nov 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ObeyTheFist

ObeyTheFist Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2004
    What are the differences in the costumes?

I know Y has a different helmet but what of the others?

I do know that the X wing pilot looks like I am more curious on how the others differ from it.

2. Skaught

Skaught Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2001
    Here's the breakdown:

A-Wing pilot - "Cheek" helmet, green flightsuit, black pressure vest with white middle section, black chest box with soft pouch-like portion below.

B-Wing pilot - Open face/top helmet (seen in the Chronicles book), red flight suit, black/gray pressure vest, large, complex chest box.

Y-Wing pilot - Full wrap-around "chin" helmet, gray flightsuit black or very dark gray pressure vest, two piece chest box.

Everyone pretty much knows what the X-Wing pilot looks like. You can see some pics of the above costumes in the photo gallery section of my site, StarWarsGeneration.com.

Scott

3. ObeyTheFist

Oct 18, 2004
    thanks... so the A wing pilot has the same helmet as the x-wing then? is this correct?

I am thinking of making that costume but I want to make sure of everything. There are not many tutorials on the other pilots I have been able to find.

4. Skaught

Sep 4, 2001
    No, the A-Wing pilot does not have the same helmet as the X-Wing pilot. Depending on how you decide to view it, the A-Wing pilot could wear one of two helmets. In the briefing room scene, the A-Wing pilots appear to be holding the "chin" helmet seen on the heads of the Y-Wing pilots in their cockpit scenes. However, in the closeup, in-cockpit scenes for the A-Wing pilot (there are two different pilots seen), they have the open face "cheek" helmet. Personally, I believe that they just tossed the pilots in the briefing room scene any old helmet they had around since there were no closeups. Since they created a specific helmet for the closeups, I use the cockpit scenes as the rule for who wears what.

[image=http://www.skaught.com/starwars/gallery/categories/Reference_Images/AWing_Pilot/media/a-wing_compare.jpg]

Above you can see a screen cap (left) and a shot of the chest box taken from an exhibit. This and other pics are on my site.

Scott

5. ObeyTheFist

Oct 18, 2004
    okay I see.. the one shot from the side looks like an x-wing helmet. my friend has a a-wing figure he is going to be loaning me for refernce...

this will definatly be a challenge since it looks like the chest box and the helmet are going to have to be built unless i can mod the y-wing helmet somehow.

6. Reaper63

Reaper63 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    Most A-Wing costumers use a Car Amp for the chestbox. They just attach the straps to it and hang it there. And it looks very close to the reference pics that Skaught has.

You might also want to register over at the Rebel LEgion forums (www.rebellegion.com) Since there are several A-Wing costumers there already. And some of the aspects of the costume have been discussed already.

Actually, the LEgion has at least one of each of the different Costumes, A, B, Y, and of course several X-Wing pilots.

Good luck, and let us know if you need any help with anything.

7. Skaught

Sep 4, 2001
    I wouldn't use an action figure for reference unless there were no other photos available.

Scott

8. buster726

buster726 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 19, 2002
    I've done a pretty accurate A-wing myself pm me for some more accurate details. Helmet is by far the HARDEST part!!

9. Magellan_the_Cat

Magellan_the_Cat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    Remember, the rebel aliance is a rag-tag organization, working with old technology, greatful for anything it can get. As such, they will use whatever piloting helmets they can get, which frequently arrive with the pilot that uses it when he/she volunteers.
    As such, uniformity isn't necessarily a requirement. Just a functional flight suit & helmet, along with (one hopes) an ability to actually pilot the fighter.

So, whatever works, works.
    :)

10. ObeyTheFist

Oct 18, 2004
    thats what i figured but i wasn't too sure. but going with what is in the movie would probably be best, for me or I will go crazy.

Now, I heard of a person who had a pattern for modifying the flight suits/mechanic suits to be more acruate-anyone know who it is. I found the thread the other day now I can't find it again.

11. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    That would be Angie's patterns.

Look in the Rebel Legion pilots forum.

12. ObeyTheFist

Oct 18, 2004
    okay, I signed up but haven't been emailed my password yet. hopefully soon.

13. Skaught

Sep 4, 2001
    You could go the fictional route, and put together any collection of helmets and suits since that would be within the "rag tag" fictional storyline. Under that rule, accuracy wouldn't be an issue. I personally am not a big fan of self-invented Star Wars costumes. While I am supportive of creative efforts (you have to be to enjoy this hobby), my personal tastes run toward recreating what is seen on screen and what was, as best as we can determine, intended. We see two A-Wing pilots in their cockpits, and both wear matching helmets, uniforms, chest boxes, etc. So that's what I used as my guide for what suit/helmet goes with what ship. Anything else was just set dressing.

Scott

14. ObeyTheFist

Oct 18, 2004
    okay another pilot question: the cloud city pilot. I can not find any picks of him or anyone with a costume but I did notice the toy this afternoon and was wondering if anyone has one or has seen one?

15. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Check with the person above you. Only Cloud Car pilot I know of. :)

16. ObeyTheFist

Oct 18, 2004
    thanks! I just found the pics of the helmet in process.

Skaught, now since you are/have done it. Is the helmet based off the navy talker?

17. buster726

buster726 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 19, 2002
    To anyone looking for refrence shots of the any of the pilots I suggest. Skaught's site
    http://www.starwarsgeneration.com

Not gonna lie without his site I would NOT have an A-wing costume Great pics man!!!

18. Reaper63

Reaper63 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    Since Angie is my big sis, I thought I would drop you the link to her Site with the patterns for the Jumpsuit mods.

http://home.comcast.net/~cobbaa/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html

the patterns are in the photo section, just keep going page by page till you get to it.

this is how Jy pilot jumpsuits were done. Very accurate to the movies :)

And You shoul have your info for the legion anytime. now. Welcome to the the fight.

Oh, and I have put together a little yahoo group of the legion's pilots. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Rebel_Starfighter_Command/

Drop by, I know everyone there is more the willing to answer any questions you have.

19. hofie

hofie Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 12, 2002
    Since when have we had to log in to see Ang's pilot tutorials? That's weird. Did comcast change the rules? I need those patterns after Christmas!

20. Skaught

Sep 4, 2001
    Thanks all. Yes, to my knowledge I am the only one to have done a CCP costume. I sculpted the entire helmet from scratch, which took forever. It was my first sculpt and vacuform project, so it is rough an bumpy...not very pretty. I made it for CII. There never was a "real" helmet - the character only existed as a shoulders-up miniature in the Cloud Car prop. The original action figure was way off color wise, and the new one is a lot better but still off. I have been thinking about making a new helmet with my Navy Talker helmet since the shape is right and it wouldn't be too hard to do. Maybe for CIII, if I have time.

Scott

21. ObeyTheFist

Oct 18, 2004
    that is what we are thinking. a guy in our group has made a vacuum form and another guy picked up a navy talker helmet-its going to be our groups first major vacuum forming project since we have several people wanting to do a rebel trooper or a imp navy trooper. so maybe I will do one for the cloud city pilot-it would be interesting.

22. Angelariel

Angelariel Jedi Youngling

Dec 25, 2003
    Sorry 'bout that Matt. You should be able to access the site now.

23. hofie

hofie Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 12, 2002
    Phew! Thanks, Ang :)

24. ObeyTheFist

Oct 18, 2004
    I found the directions for the flax vest but not the pilots jumpsuit. Am I missing it? Still waiting for the password for the rebel legion.

25. Angelariel

Angelariel Jedi Youngling

Dec 25, 2003
    If you're talking about the stuff on my site, I have never gotten around to writing up an actual tutorial for converting coveralls to a flightsuit just the pocket patterns.

I'm taking a break from all things costuming/fandom related for a while but I may get something put togerhter about the flightsuit sometime in the future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.