main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A year ago today...

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by DARTH_ANIBAL, May 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DARTH_ANIBAL

DARTH_ANIBAL Jedi Youngling star 1

May 8, 2006
    So, what were you doing a year ago today? As I type this, a year ago to this very hour, I was in standing in line with my friends to watch the final episode of the saga that inspired all of us to be here today.

I'm a product of the 70's, raised in the 80's. I was only 6 months old when Star Wars was released back in May of '77, so my formal, movie house introduction came in '83 when my parents took me to see Return of the Jedi. Wow!!! So THAT'S what these little action figures look like in "real-life"! By the time we got home that night, I had already told my parents what I wanted that Christmas--a Darth Vader costume "like the one I just saw in the movie". I had seen what is now commonly referred to as Ep. IV on TV I believe (HBO?), and I really liked Darth Vader already, but seeing him come into shot at the beginning of ROTJ pretty much did it for me (best entrance EVER). Everything was so sparkly and shiny! God bless my parents for putting up with about 5 years of me asking for that costume EVERY Christmas. Eventually, it was time to move on and stop obsessing over this whole Star Wars thing. I was, after all, a "big boy" now.

All my life I've been a huge fan of these movies, so when I caught word in the early 90's that Mr. Lucas would be doing Episodes I, II, and III, I could hardly contain myself. The whole saga was going to be about Anakin Skywalker's rise and fall from grace, it could get no better for me. The Special Editions came out in '97, and God only knows how many times I went to see them. I remember watching the news and seeing people wearing costumes to their local theater to watch the movies. I thought to myself, "they must be rich!" "Where on earth would you be able to buy a costume like that, and how much would you have to spend on it?!" Episode I was finally released, and I still remember the energy and excitement among us Star Wars fans about it. Again I saw the news reports about fans lining up in costume, and celebrating the whole time while waiting to go in and watch it. That's when I saw it. There on the news, some guy, somewhere had on a Vader costume, and it looked AMAZING! I thought, "he must have been with Lucasfilm or something." Nope, he was just a superfan like all of us here. Maybe one day I could get myself a Vader costume. I couldn't fathom how, but the possibility was now real.

The title for Episode III was finally announced, and the reality of it all began to hit me. This is it. No more of this "fandemonium" over the new movies, for there were to be no more. The circle would now be "complete." How would I celebrate the movies I grew up watching and loving since I was a child? It was bittersweet. It almost felt like I was being forced to let go of something I wasn't ready to just yet(pretty cheesy, huh?) Around March of 2004, I decided to look into just how much it took to recreate one of these "movie-quality" costumes, so I could join the ranks of superfans that attended the midnight premieres of the previous 2 episodes. To my amazement, these fans made most of their costumes! So, how do I "make" this Darth Vader costume I had dreamed of having when I was a kid? After some google searches I was lead here, among other places. I started doing all the research I could, pulling together as many visual references as I could find, and set a goal of having this costume completed in time for the premiere of Revenge of the Sith. I came across some bumps in the road, and for a while the process even became therapeutic while I had some turmoil in my life. May 18th, 2005 came along, and at about 3pm, I was suiting up for the first time. It felt great! To finally be able to wear the costume was a childhood dream come true. I would have still enjoyed the movie and the experience had I not been in costume, but this made it all 100 times better! It allowed me to be part of it all like only those who costume can understand.

Since then, I've improved on/replaced/done over many parts of my costume, and it's become something I'm very proud to wear. It allows me to go from be

2. BurntTheMacaroni

BurntTheMacaroni Jedi Knight star 3

May 16, 2005
    A year ago today.. I was skipping my Prom to stand in line with my Uncle, Grandpa, and Cousin to see Ep III. It has been a family tradition since the 70's.. sorta.. My mother took my Uncle to see the OT, so he took me to see all three of the new ones. It was pretty cool. We were at Regal's(sp?) in Manassas, making fun of the awesomely huge Large drinks(we nicknamed them the Urinators)

3. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    I was getting dressed up as Princess Leia to go hang out with Vader and Fett in front of one of the downtown theatres to add some colour to an advance screening (well, I guess Boba Fett was the only one with any colour ;) ).

I think though, it's technically a year ago tomorrow....

Happy Ep. III anniversary everyone!

4. jsoto81

jsoto81 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 20, 2005
    A year ago today I didn't even think it was possible to create one of those awesome costumes I'd see at the premiere. I didn't go see the midnight showing, cause my mom wanted to go with us. So my brother looked for every trailer we could find, most of them being online, we went to the local theatre at the first morning showing with my mom.

I remember sitting there in amazement at the light saber fights, and Anakin's new costume. Even though I'm almost 25 I wanted to dress up like him for halloween.

So I decided last august that I was going to be a Jedi for halloween. And this year I'm going to be the same, but I'm going to have a better costume. Boots, a belt and pouches, and a light saber.

I'm also saddened that the trilogy is over, but there's always halloween and conventions.

Awesome costume by the way.

5. DARTH_ANIBAL

DARTH_ANIBAL Jedi Youngling star 1

May 8, 2006
    Yeah, tomorrow is a year from the 19th, but for those of us who went to the midnight show, we were in line now (if you were out there at 4:30pm like I was). Man, that was exciting!

6. Bandit-Jedi

Bandit-Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 4, 2001
    Awesome story and I can really relate.
    A year ago today at this time I was getting ready to go to the midnight showing of Episode III. after that first showing I would take some rest and then head back to the theater to see Revenge in the theater 3 more times during the course of the day, bringing my opening day total to 4 viewings! what a celebration for me it was.

This was the only opening that I didn't dress in costume. I did however bring my FFX lightsabers for the midnight showing and got to meet some really cool people.

7. jedichic07

jedichic07 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    one year ago at this time, I was seated and anxiously waiting for the film to start. I had my first preview of Narnia. I was excited but sad at the same time. Tired, from the line party. Knowing it was the last time for a "first time" viewing of a SW movie. Costume discarded, back in something comfy, and not allowing myself anything to drink (can't get up to pee during this!!) I settled in, and the lights dimmed....

8. Raph1613

Raph1613 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2004
    Yup, I was there for The Midnight Showing with my local FanForce.

I was wearing a custom Sith outfit. For some reason, I thought that there would be a number of Sith in that movie. At the very least, more than JUST TWO!! Come on, in the trailers you saw this pale, vicious looking fellow with very sharp teeth and tire tracks on his face "snarling" at Obi-Wan. Who'd have known he was actually just whispering.....

I absolutely had to be there. There's no way I could have forced myself to miss the chance to see it then and there. It truly was a once in a lifetime thing. Still, Anakin so overwrought with guilt that he joins the Jerk who misled him? The entire Jedi order so incompetent that only two Sith could overthrow them?? Vader doing the Frankenstein Shuffle???

* sigh *

When I was a kid, all I wanted to be was a Stormtrooper with a working blaster. When you're only 8, that's a tough order to fill. So I made a Vader costume when I was 10. It was the only one that was physically possible. Regular plastic mask, black garbage bag for a cape and tabbards, rubber boots, and (my Masterpiece) a shoebox that I'd cut and pasted to be square with pieces cut out and plastic glued on and a small flashlight inside.

When I was 15, I (after a couple of years of work) finally completed a suit of cardboard Stormtrooper armor that would actually stay on me and not tear itself apart. To this I added my Kenner E-11 (with working folding stock) and a vinyl helmet that made me look like a Bobblehead. I know that in reality it looked like crap, but I was sort of happy for a while. I actually slept in the whole rig a few times. I realize that sounds bad, but it's true. And one of the few times (at that time in my life) that I slept comfortably.

Then, I lost track of Star Wars for many years. I had problems. I also had no way of even KNOWING that there were others out there like me.

Then, a number of years ago, I was channel-surfing in the middle of the night when I wound up on the E! channel. I heard the gentle Star Wars theme. Every hair on my body stood on end. Then I saw words that I'd never before seen associated with Star Wars: The origin of a Legend, the beginning of a Saga, and some guy was introducing Anakin Skywalker to Obi-Wan-Kenobi. My eyes openned wide... I couldn't let myself blink. I watched the Episode I trailer like my life depended on it. When it was over, I nearly cried. In the months that followed, I raged because I couldn't find the trailer anywhere on TV. I watched every crappy previews show that existed, but nobody was carrying it, not even E! for some reason. I heard that it was online, but I didn't own a computer, and wasn't good enough friends with anyone who did own one. So, I waited.

I'd long ago given up hope of ever recreating Stormtrooper armor. I'm just too damned short. But I did eventually wind up meeting some really great people who shared my love of Star Wars and Sci-Fi in-general.

Discovering Conventions was the greatest thing ever.

Comic Book Guy: "Worst movie ever,"

9. Takianna

Takianna Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    This time a year ago, I was just trying to figure out who would watch my kids when I was going to see ROTS. Finally my mother bailed me out and decided that she would come and watch them so that I could go. It kinda made me sad because Star Wars was always a family thing. I finally did get to go with my mother to see the movie and that was great! My son also got addicted to the whole thing too. It's great to get the younglings invovled.

Happy Empire Day!

10. 1T-2D

1T-2D Jedi Youngling

Mar 3, 2006
    A year ago today I was so more excited than I've been in well...a year.
    Can't wait for C4!
    Todd

11. FETT-MAN

FETT-MAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2005
    A year ago today I was jealous. Jealous because I wasn't allowed to see Ep. 3 until school ended, and that was a week and a half away. My friends were raving about it, driving me mad! At the time I didn't realize just how many people were obsessed like I was, but now I know. Finally, the day I got out of school, I saw it. And I was amazed. Sadly I've only seen it once since then.

But Halloween I was Anakin, and had planned for my friend to be Obi-wan.
    It didn't work out that way, but we still had fun.
    This year I'll be Darth Vader,
    And my lightsaber will be so much better...

12. jedilucass

jedilucass Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 1, 2002
    A year ago today I was sitting in a sorority meeting in Padme hair. True, this was the sleeveless costume hair, but going from shoulder length to mid back length hair is a trip for those who haven't seen me in it... and then I went with my dad to wait in line to see one of my now favorite star wars films.

That and trying to drive without hitting my buns on the headrest... :)

~Laura

13. Amanita

Amanita Jedi Youngling star 2

May 12, 2003
    A year ago today, I was frantically putting the finishing touches on a simple set of tabards for my Jedi costume- I had finished my cloak and was proud of how awesome it looked. I didn't have time to sew up the other parts of my kit, but lucky me, I was able to improvise. I pulled out my old white tae-kwon-do jacket and a brown silk wrap skirt.

I remember the next day, I was waiting at the mall for a friend who was going to the movie with me. To pass the time, I stood outside and watched a Tower crane working right next door to the mall. I remember it drizzling a bit and me putting my hood up to keep the rain off my glasses. I managed to shock an older lady who was passing by- she thought I was a nun!
    My friend and I had fun at the movie, showing off with our lightsabers, and I remember somebody from the audience commenting on what good form I had.

14. MasterCenedra

MasterCenedra Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 3, 2005
    A year ago today, I was waiting for Episode III to come my town theatre, and my friends were all like: "O shut Up with Star Wars!"

But when it did come out in my town, I went and sat right in the middle of the theatre with my popcorn and coke and as soon as the floating prolog came scrolling on to screen, I did shead a tear, for I knew it was an end of a story that changed the fave of Science Fiction forever...

Well, thats what I think.

MC

15. tk0084

tk0084 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2005
    Well, I know that I already saw ROTS before all of you because a year ago today = a Friday in May & I was at work. But on this date last year I took my cousins daughter (who got to skip school) to see arguable the best SW movie.

16. Darth_Adderall

Darth_Adderall Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 9, 2006
    A year ago today... I was in Florida celebrating my birthday with my uncle and his family. Watching Star Wars, natch.
    Which means, today's my birthday again. Me and Peter Mayhew.

17. MasterCenedra

MasterCenedra Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 3, 2005
    Happy Birthday!

Its real funny when some of my friends have birthdays on the same day as famous pplz, because we are a day in front of everyone so they dont really share a birthday...

MC

18. Darth_Adderall

Darth_Adderall Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 9, 2006
    I goofed, Mr. Mayhew's birthday was YESTERDAY. I do, however, share a birthday with Busta Rhymes (who I like, kinda), Ted Allen (the food and wine Queer Guy, incidentally also my favorite of the Fab Five) and, uh, Cher.Today in history!

My fianceé's birthday is the 25th, which is the anniversary of the opening of both Star Wars IV (in '77), and Return of the Jedi (in '83...which is her precise birthday.)

19. mr_Goodbomb

mr_Goodbomb Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 20, 2006
    I was doing this

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v716/raindropoffire/old%20computer/VaderCharlesDriving.jpg]

so I could do this

[image=http://myspace-475.vo.llnwd.net/00111/57/43/111003475_l.jpg]

to get to this

[image=http://ffmedia.ign.com/starwars/image/article/594/594634/star-wars-episode-iii-revenge-of-the-sith-20050309074644137boxart_160w.jpg]

20. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    A year ago today (assuming it's May 18th), I was rushing to finish up my Snow Bunny Padme Cloak to attend the local SW Party and then Sneak Preview tat night (aka 3rd time watching ROTS as watch it first on 15th May). Had lots of fun with fellow FFSG Members and see all those Jedis and Sith tat only appears once every 3 years and rest of the time let their costume pick up dust in the wardrobe. [face_thinking]

A year ago today, I was getting ready to leave for Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia to join my Malaysian SW Friends at a local screening in costume. :p

21. MomMaster

MomMaster Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 4, 2006
    A year ago today I was probably seeing ROTS for the 2nd or 3rd time? We missed out on all this Fan Force stuff - never knew about it and I am new to costuming.
    1977, ANH was my hunsband's and my FIRST DATE!! (I was 20+ do the math) We have raised our 3 sons to love Star Wars through the years (now 20+)
    I wish we would have been involved in Fan Force and Costuming before this!!
    I'm hoping there will be new Star Wars movies of some type in the future! How about re-dos with new actors?

22. Raph1613

Jan 15, 2004
  23. MomMaster

MomMaster Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 4, 2006
  24. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    I was seeing ROTS in Dallas Texas, with friends I met via TF.N. Yes, I flew all the way from Australia to the US to see the movie over there, knowing full well that my friends back in Australia were seeing it before me! I also attended a Con in Plano the weekend before in costume... ;)

25. Raph1613

Jan 15, 2004
    Now THAT is cool!

Oh, to have the freedom (a.k.a. money) to go wherever you want whenever you want just because you want to hang out with some cool people that you know.

Very cool!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.