main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends A Year in the Life (L/M, holiday fic series) 25 March The Deepest Note is the Cobalt Sky

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by JadeLotus, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Annia Piet

Annia Piet Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 7, 2015
    Wonderful! Such good, good analysis of Mara there. The fact that she (in most instances a success focused action girl) never actively went after Luke before he literally fell into her lap in HttE is something I've always pondered, and this explanation works perfectly. I also love the way it's building up to some real character development and progress for her - chrysalis indeed.

And their reconciliation is just lovely, lovely stuff *happy sigh*

JadeLotus, Kahara and Nyota's Heart like this.
  2. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    I. Love. Waitomo!!!

And I love this half of the chapter. Mara's introspection was wonderful, and her conclusion that she'd always left everything up to chance was a great, and original, insight.

This...
    Was positively swoon-worthy!

3. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005

[:D] oh melt.

So beautifully articulated. This is a profound, mature love; not lust or infatuation or even the heady excitement of those who find themselves newly in love - this is the love of people who choose to be together, even if it is the harder choice to make. So beautifully written. This fic keeps getting better and better.

4. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Just getting caught up on this. I think I know what the chrysalis of the title is—a combination of the possibly sacred cave they're in and Luke himself cradling Mara after her traumatic fall into the rapids. It's kind of a nice change to have the male acting in a "cocooning" capacity, since so often that kind of full-surround nurturing is so often marked as female.

It's intriguing to be finding out more about the cave they're in—that it may be a holy site and that its cortosis-rich. Thanks so much for sharing the photos of the real-life places that inspired the setting—they look absolutely incredible, especially those glow worms. What a fantabulous place for a hot-springs dip. :D And a perfect place to be coming to these important realizations about themselves and each other, too, on their own elemental terms and without the "crutch" of the Force bond.

Maras realization that she needs to actively go out and get what she wants rather than waiting for it to come to her is interesting, because with a character like her I almost would have expected the opposite—a realization that she has to be patient and wait, etc. (Which would be very old-order Jedi! :p) But in a certain way she really has led a very privileged and rarefied existence so far, with a lot of her needs and wants being met by default, and her relationship with Luke—bond or no bond—is pushing her out of her comfort zone in what will probably be a very character-building way.

And having Luke's quaint old Jedi book right in the middle of it all—thrown into rather stark relief by the state-of-nature surroundings—is just such a cool touch. :cool: I can picture the different handwritings in the margin: Sidious's fancy scarlet scrawl and Luke's farmboy block-caps. Neat how the book substitutes for the Force-bond for just a moment there, since it's there that she gets such an important hint at how much she really means to him.

Looking forward to seeing how this will end up for them—and for the Kaurna too, who I'm now curious to meet. :cool:

5. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005

Thank you! Mara needs to confront some pretty deep-seated issues she's been avoiding, as well as acknowledge that sometimes Luke needs to hear about her feelings as well. There's something very healing about water, and glowworm caves are so magical and beautiful it seemed like the perfect place for their reconciliation.

I love The Jedi Path, such a good resource and Luke's notes are great.

Thank you! And that music is beautiful, it fits the scene perfectly!

Thank you! I've always wondered why, if she hated Luke so much, she never tried to kill him before TTT, especially since his whereabouts were probably common knowledge. I know she was on the run and had only been with Karrde for six months and so probably didn't have the resources to go after Luke, but you know if she'd really wanted to do it, she would have found a way, you know?

Thanks! It was actually quite an about-face from her decision in MTLGTM to relinquish control, but when it came down to it that was another way to distance herself from the decision. She always thought she was in charge of her own life and decisions, and to realise that she wasn't even after she broke free from the Emperor's control is a big step.

Thank you! What I really love about Luke and Mara's relationship is that they are first and foremost good friends - yes they have a deep attraction and sexual connection, but their love is based on so much more than that. It's hard sometimes, and they have to keep working at it, but that only makes their relationship stronger.

Yes, exactly. What I really love about Luke's character is that his defining character traits are traditionally "feminine" coded - empathy, compassion, nurturing nature - and yet these are acknowledged as strengths rather than weaknesses and exist in harmony with his traditionally "masculine" coded traits - warrior mindset, anger, etc. It makes him such a well rounded and complex character.

Yes, on the surface, Mara is a hair away from being a control freak, stemming from her upbringing as the literal pawn of the Emperor - her entire life was about service and following orders so she had very little control over her life and almost no scope to make her own choices. So when she was able to break free from the Emperor's hold, she valued making her own choices and her own independence to an almost pathological degree, which is why she was so reluctant to embrace the Jedi way or accept her feelings to Luke - but in some ways it was all on the surface, and the lack of autonomy was so deeply ingrained into her subconscious that she hadn't escaped from from it as much as she had thought.

I actually forgot to include these in the references, but yes The Jedi Path is great:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[/quote]

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  6. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005

Luke was sleeping peacefully, the silence in the cave only occasionally punctuated by his soft snoring. Mara had gotten used to the sound, although she was not completely acclimatised, so occasionally it would rouse her from sleep and prevent her from finding it again. Perhaps she just needed more time sleeping beside him, until the sound of his light snore was so comfortable and familiar it would form a vital part of her own rest. But for now it kept her awake, the grey light filtering in through the mouth of the cave indicating it was close to dawn anyway.

Deciding to be productive, Mara rose and began to pack their small camp, a brief glimpse outside indicating the storm had passed. She extinguished the last embers of their fire and returned all of their items to their travelling packs. Except the blankets, of course, since they were still coiled around Luke, oblivious to everything around him. She envied the deep rest he could find, untroubled by the dark memories and regrets that plagued her sleep.

She was loathe to wake him when he seemed to peaceful, so Mara turned her attention to the primitive paintings which adorned the wall of the cave. It was more out of boredom than anything else - she’d read The Jedi Path cover to cover and there was nothing else to occupy her until Luke woke up.

The paintings occupied much of the cave wall, obviously drawn by hand in a chalky paste likely made from the red ochre, yellow plants, black charcoal and the white roots she’d seen on their trek. Represented on the wall were several figures of humanoid form, although they had long limbs, ghostly white faces and large black eyes. They almost resembled Givins, although their mouths were not downturned and their craniums, at least in the paintings, were much larger, their skin smooth and plump rather than skeletal.

There was also a large painting that seemed to be comprised entirely of small dots, forming an overall image of a colourful serpent winding through various landscapes - a dense forest, a great lake and a rocky outcrop. At the creature's head and tail were the same images only inversed; a dark black expanse on one side of the serpent, and white on the other.

Luke had theorised that it represented night and day, with the serpent bringing the dawn and then the night again, hence the inversion of black and white at the head and tail. But looking at the images again, Mara wondered whether it meant something else entirely. Lightly, she ran her hand over the path of the serpent, although she was careful not to disturb the painting itself. The black and white, the beginning and the end - never one without the other.

There was something calling to her - something familiar. Mara felt it at the edges of her mind, where the Force would usually be, except this feeling was cold, sending a shiver down her spine. And yet it was seductive, urging her to go deeper into the cave and discover the source.

Throwing a glance at Luke's sleeping firm, Mara crept past him into the bowels of the cave which led deep into its rocky heart. She walked out of sight of their camp and daylight, past the cortosis deposits in the walls and the glowworm grotto, the bright blue insects still shimmering above. She pressed on heedless of the darkness, keeping one hand on the cave wall to guide herself through the pitch black.

She couldn't feel the Force, and yet there was that cold absence in her heart she had come to associate with one person in particular. The breath that froze in Mara’s throat had little to do with the chill in the air and everything to do with terrible, dawning recognition.

"Mara, my dear," a bone-chilling voice seemed to reverberate through her. "I have been waiting for you."

It was impossible, and yet there he was, out there in the dark and within herself still. She could not see him, but that voice was forever imprinted in her mind, and although his last command had vanished, his voice would always remain. Emperor Palpatine.

"There was a time," the Emperor spoke as if his voice was seeping from the cave walls themselves. "When you would have knelt at the sound of my voice."

"It is easy to make a child kneel," she said back into the darkness, even though her voice shook. "And I am a child no longer."

The Emperor laughed, a chilling sound which had always made her shiver, even when she had adored him. "Yet you still kneel, my dear. Your body may be upright, but in your heart you still bow - do not have sorrow for this, Mara. It is your purpose, you were always made to serve another."

"No," she shook her head. "I am my own, now. Not yours - never yours again."

"Alas, that is true," the Emperor said, and Mara felt cold hands on her shoulders. "At least, you are not mine my dear, because you are another's now. You are Skywalker's."

She tried to shake off the ghostly grip, but he held her firm, forcing to peer into the darkness. There was someone ahead of her in the cave, a shimmering spectre coming sharply into focus. Mara tried again to turn and run, but was still held captive by the Emperor’s strong grip, although when she clawed at her shoulders she could feel nothing. Taking a deep breath, Mara looked upon the vision again, accepting it was something she had to see.

She saw herself standing there, and yet the figure was so drastically altered Mara couldn't really describe it as herself at all. The apparition was clad in Jedi robes, that itchy homespun Mara had seen depicted as the uniform of the Old Republic Jedi, and Luke himself wore on occasion. Mara scratched her arm absently, as if she was wearing the robes herself. Her mirror was older, hair slightly streaked with grey and wrinkles creasing around her eyes and mouth. In her hand he carried the lightsaber of Anakin Skywalker, but she wore no blaster holster.

In the distance she saw an image of Luke appear, similarly attired and aged, surrounded by blonde children of varying ages, themselves all wearing Jedi robes and wielding lightsabers. The scene before her was what she could become, the Mara she feared - the perfect Jedi, with her Jedi husband and Jedi children. Utterly indistinct and generic - like the Jedi of old.

“You see, don’t you?” the Emperor voiced her thoughts, his cold breath in her ear. "You see there is no Jade left in you. He made you one of them; drilled away your sharp edges and dampened your fire until it burned down into something he could control.”

The mirror of herself looked at Mara with dull green eyes, emphasising the Emperor’s words. Mara forced herself to stare back, but soon her gaze drifted back to Luke, who looked so happy among the children he’d raised in his own image.

"You are all Skywalker now,” the Emperor rasped. “He made a dynasty from you."

Mara knew it was not Palpatine speaking - he was dust, and his spirit had been too corrupted to find continued life in the Force. No, it was the fears coiled inside her own heart that that conjured this apparition, a Trial of Spirit as The Jedi Path had spoken of. She had accepted her love for Luke, and committed himself to sharing her life with him, but now she needed to commit to being a Jedi.

Or did she?

Mara had served for so long, and her duty had caused so much suffering she was reluctant to put herself back in that position. Even if it was the service to the light, it seemed too much to give up, especially if the result was the woman before her, her own identity supplanted by that of her husband and children. Being with Luke and being a Jedi were not necessarily a package deal, they could still make their marriage work if she remained with Karrde’s organisation. It would be difficult, but with everything they’d talked through the previous day and night she knew he would do it if she asked.

And yet, hadn’t it felt so good when she’d put aside personal her personal feelings and helped someone? When she’d decided to try and save Leia’s infant twins, because she felt that no child should be taken from their parents as she had been? All those times she’d been drawn into conflicts where the logical choice would have been to cut and run - the mess with Darksaber and the Corellian crisis. Her friendship with Kyle Katarn and pulling him back from the dark side. Even back when she’d been on the run from Isard and come across Ghent for the first time, she’d put her own safety at risk to help him. None of those choices had been because of Luke, either.

And didn't she crave that deep union and understanding with the Force that Luke enjoyed? Mara had always sought knowledge, to stretch herself and improve. She had to admit, her work with Karrde's organisation had stagnated and become comfortable. She enjoyed it, but it was hardly a challenge and Mara craved work. Becoming a Jedi would be a constant struggle against her deeply ingrained habits, and so perhaps it would suit her after all.

Mara looked again at the apparition, her fear easing. It was not her future self she was seeing, because nothing was set and everything could be altered. A few tweaks to the vision - more stylish clothes replacing the Jedi robes and perhaps not quite so many children - and it didn’t frighten her so much. Becoming a Jedi didn’t mean she would lose herself, she would bring herself to it.

She was both Jade and Skywalker - bitterness and light. Luke had poured himself into her, irrevocably changing her, and yet she'd given the same to him: he was part Jade now too. Any child of theirs would be equal parts of them both, and something unique and entirely new. Mara found that the thought thrilled her, to have a child that was not only the pure expression of the love she and Luke shared, but that she could pour her life force into, protect and teach and learn from. The gift she could give a child was the life she'd never had.

Mara felt a warmth spread from her heart all the way to her limbs, banishing the cold and fear that had settled upon her. The Emperor’s grip on her shoulders disappeared, and she could stand up straight again. And yet voice was still there, hissing in her ear.

“You cannot trust him, my dear.” His words were angry now, the last spitting remnants of her own fear that was slowly dying. “Didn’t I teach you that? In the end everyone will betray you, and hurt you, and leave you.”

Mara rolled her eyes. “Kriff off, Sheev.”

And just like that, he was gone.

Gemma and Nyota's Heart like this.
  7. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    Beautiful and introspective. That was the perfect trial for Mara and now that she's passed it, she'll really be able to start her life with Luke. [face_love]

JadeLotus and Nyota's Heart like this.
  8. Demendora

Demendora Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 9, 2010
    Haha! I bet Mara dreamed about saying those words to Palpy and she finally did. [face_dancing]

9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Best best best best line ever!

[face_dancing] Buya! Jinkies!

ThreadSketch needs to read that [face_rofl]

Wonderful test of spirit/mettle and terrific and true conclusion Mara came to in the end. :) :)

JadeLotus likes this.
  10. Annia Piet

Feb 7, 2015
    Ha! "Kriff off Sheev" Perfect!

And really really good Mara introspection. This series is turning into a really nice rounding out of her character development in Hand of Thrawn, adding very plausible extra layers to her motivations and thought processes. (I think some of this may end up hovering around in my own head cannon). Great work! :)

Nyota's Heart and JadeLotus like this.
  11. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    What a presence to come across in these solitary, ancient caves! Somehow it's not surprising: even if they do block Force sense, these cases aren't without their own brand of mystical energy. It makes sense for Mara's own deep-down fears to be articulated in the voice of the Emperor to whom she was basically enslaved for so long. Those deep-buried feelings are a recurring theme in this story, and we see them coming to the fore here in a particularly disturbing manner: the poisonous suggestion that she's gone from being "the Emperor's" to "Skywalker's," the "perfect Jedi" family with the children who all look like their father and not like their mother (which of course has added impact knowing that Luke and Mara will eventually have a redheaded son), and just the creepy Sheev-talk in general (and the shoulder touching—shudder!).

But at least Mara's getting the chance to meet all of that head-on. Everyone's been pointing out that last line, which is fantastic and of course it's about time someone said that to him (even if it was just a ghostly version of him)! =D= Though I almost wonder what, if any, fallout there will be...

12. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010

Ha! Yes! Perfect way to end that update.

13. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I hear you Mara. There is nothing quite as scary as being a mother of a half dozen siblings wielding lightsabers. Excellent update!

14. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005

It was always going to be an emotional breakthrough Mara had to achieve, I think, in order to embrace becoming a Jedi as well as her marriage to Luke.

I think Mara had such an ingrained respect for Palpatine that was hard to shake even after she knew the truth - so for her to not only acknowledge his evil but disrespect him and be flippant, calling him by his first name and telling him to kriff off was really difficult, but freeing.

Mara's had to do a lot of soul-searching, but in the end she'll come out the better for it.

Mara's such a complex character, and it's a shame there wasn't a great deal devoted to that in Legends - I really try to explore her character and challenges a bit more in my fic, and it's gratifying that people enjoy it.

I was really interested in the idea that there is this planet and culture with its own mystical energy unrelated to the Force (which we're told exists in all living things) to give the characters a bit of a different perspective - a great deal of the previous fics in his series have referred to the Celestials who have become deities or myths in various cultures, and for this I wanted to step outside of that and for Luke and Mara to face their problems within their relationship and themselves without the crutch of the Force.

And also because we know that without the Force, it cannot possibly be the Emperor and Mara is truly facing only the demons inside her own head which manifests itself as the ultimate voice of authority in her life that she hasn't (until now) been able to truly break free from.

I actually did have another scene after that in which Mara wakes Luke up, but decided that I had to end it on that line for maximum impact. Writing too much and belaboring the point has always I feel been a weakness in my writing, and I'm learning restraint.

I'm sure! One child frightens Mara, let alone half a dozen!

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  15. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005

It was midday by the time Luke and Mara reached the end of the river, the rushing water pooling out into a wide silvery lake. The Kaurna settlement was set back not far from the edge, a collection of small domed huts which looked like they were made of bark stripped from the surrounding trees. Small campfires with green and blue flames were dotted around the site, no doubt burning hot to keep its inhabitants warm. The Kaurnans themselves were tall, humanoid creatures with large crainiod heads and flowing black hair, long spindly fingers and delicate features. Luke was unsurprised, assuming that their hosts would resemble the images they’d discovered in the cave paintings, but rather than ghostly white their skin were a variety of pale blues and greens, and rather than dark cavernous orbs Luke could see that their eyes were in fact large, with irises that matched their skin colour. It seemed that the children were the lightest, their skin darkening as they matured as the white-haired elders around one fire had richly coloured skin of catalina and myrte.

“Over to you, Mara,” Luke gestured to his wife as he gave her a wry smile. “Make first contact.”

Mara slapped his arm, but quickened her pace as they approached the main Kaurnan camp. “Meri,” she greeted, clasping her hands in front of her and giving a slight bow. “Ngai anna Mara Jade, inna ngai yerlinna, Luke Skywalker. Paieriappendi pari warra towilla turralyendi.”

It was clearly a prepared greeting, and Luke was impressed that she had not stumbled over the words, although of course he reminded himself that he would have no idea if she had mispronounced any of them. He nodded to the Kaurnans seated around the fire, giving them a warm smile. In prime position was an elderly male, his skin a dark blue with white paint dotted along his cheekbones, and an elaborate beaded necklace around his shoulders. It was safe to assume by the way the others deferred to him that he was their Chief, and Mara kept direct eye contact with him for several moments.

“Meri,” the Chief nodded to them, and then turned to the woman who sat to his right and engaged in a hushed discussion. By the sky blue colour of her skin Luke guessed she was just past adolescence. The woman patted the Chief on the arm and turned to them with a broad smile showing gleaming pointed teeth.

“Kanggarendi nepo,” she gestured with her hand. “Come forth, friends. I speak your Basic.”

Mara looked relieved, and they stepped in closer, taking a seat as the woman indicated on the woven reed mats that covered the red earth around the fire.

“I am Tandanya,” she added, her accent heavy but her words clear. “The tribe was expecting you many days ago.”

“Yes, we er…” she gave Luke a sideways glance. “Got caught in the storm.”

“Our ship crashed,” Luke added, belatedly realising that Tandanya might not know what he meant. “Erm…the metal skybird that carried us across space to visit you.”

“Yes, I know what you meant,” Tandanya gave him an amused smile. “I lived two years on Filalli.”

“Ah.” Luke felt his face flush, remembering his advice to Mara to be respectful. “Sorry.”

Tandanya waved a dismissive hand to show she had not taken offense. “Not a worry.”

“It seems your planet’s atmosphere contains some kind of energy field that interfered with my ship’s systems,” Mara said, glancing over at Luke as she did so.

Tandanya cocked her head, and then shrugged. “We do not have ships, so I cannot explain.”

“Mailappendi!” the Chief interrupted, his large eyes fixed on Mara. “Warra wanamangura paitays.”

Her forehead creasing, Mara looked to Tandanya for translation, but the woman was staring back at her with curiosity. “He says you have been in the cave of the Serpent."

Mara glanced down, clearly troubled, and Luke covered her hand with his. "We apologise,” he said, squeezing Mara’s hand. “We took shelter there during the storm."

Tandanya waved her hand again. "No apology is necessary. The Serpent must have drawn you there.” She pierced Mara with a knowing gaze. "If there was something you needed to see in his Dreamscape."

Luke thought back to their time in the cave, and those wonderful moments when he and Mara had connected so deeply. He hadn’t thought it possible without the Force, and yet he’d been proved wrong. Something sacred had happened in that cave, and whatever it was Luke was grateful.

“What is the Dreamscape?” he asked. “Some kind of spirit world?”

“It is hard to explain,” Tandanya told them, absently throwing a stick on the fire. For a moment it flickered red, but another woman reached into a pouch and withdrew a green-blue powder. When she threw it over the fire the flames returned to burning hot and blue. “We do not mean dream as you understand it, but there is no appropriate translation.”

Mara looked back up, her odd reaction dissipating. “Like a vision?”

“Perhaps,” Tandanya shrugged. “I do not know what you have seen, because I am not you. The land speaks to all of us differently. We do not have...gods or spirits as you would call them, but we have the sky above and the earth below, and the water that surrounds us.”

“And the Serpent?” Luke asked.

“You would call him a legend, I think,” Tandanya nodded, fingering the necklace she wore, carved in the shape of a long snake. “But the Serpent is like all life - he is the past and the now and the times to come all at once. He carved out the rivers forty thousand years ago, and yet he is still doing so now - as the water runs.”

Luke wasn’t quite sure he understood, but when he looked at Mara she had a strange sort of smile on her face, as if she had found meaning in Tandanya’s words. Then Luke thought back to Yoda’s advice about the cave on Dagobah when asked what he would find there.

Only what you take with you.

Night fell swiftly on Kaurna, but the blue fires burned hot around the village and chased the cold away. Mara had spent much of the day out walking with Tandanya and a few of the other village elders negotiating trading terms, and she had seemed confident despite the challenge that lay ahead of her.

Luke had elected to stay behind in the village, and although he did not speak a word of their language he soon found such barriers unimportant. A group of men took him wading in the lake to teach him spear fishing, then they showed him how they stripped the yellow bark off the surrounding trees to reinforce their small huts. The teenage girls taught him how to weave reed baskets, and the boys gave him a gift of a small knife so he could join their carving circle. He spent most of the evening happily engaged in that activity, allowing the boys to show him their techniques. When Mara returned he presented her with a necklace in the shape of a serpent, much like the one Tandanya wore, although Luke had chosen to carve an intricate pattern of infinity symbols into the animal’s hide.

They shared the evening meal as a community - all thirty or so Kaurnans gathered around the campfires eating the roasted meat of some kind of native animal, and bread which had been cooked in the ashes of the fire.

“I ground some of the flour myself,” Luke told Mara as he gave her some. “The women were very impressed.”

“I’m sure,” Mara said dryly, and gave him a poke in the ribs. “You can grind my flour later tonight - show me how it’s done.”

Luke’s cheeks grew warm, but then he realised that Mara’s words would not be understood by anyone but him. He leaned over and kissed her cheek, then whispered a response in her ear that made her blush in turn, but further teasing was interrupted by the odd sound of snuffling at Luke’s feet. He looked down to see one of the wolf-like creatures the Kaurna called a warrigal sniffing him with its large black nose and long, pointed ears upright. The Kaurna tribe kept a pack of about a dozen as pets and hunting companions, but Luke had noticed that the animal currently examining him was the runt of the litter.

“Hey, boy,” he said, letting the warrigal sniff his hand and then scratching the creature behind the ears as Mara rolled her eyes.

“Your day just wouldn’t be complete without attracting some pathetic creature,” she commented with a grin.

“I wouldn’t be so harsh, Mara,” he responded teasingly. “I attracted you, after all.”

“Hmph.” Mara folded her arms and turned away, leaving him to pet the warrigal in peace. It reminded him of his wonat Patooga, back on Yavin under the care of Kyp Duron. Luke had never considered himself an animal person in particular - at least not like Jacen was - but he found himself missing the creature, and appreciating the warrigal’s attention, allowing the creature to lick his hand and nuzzle against his leg. Despite Mara’s best show that she wasn’t paying attention, Luke saw her sneak a glance every now and then. She’d left her tooka Elia with Karrde, not wanting her to interfere with the unknown ecosystem of Kaurna and although she’s said nothing more of it, Luke gathered that she missed her pet as well.

Tandanya approached and sat down beside him. “Luke, you must watch this,” he told him, nodding towards where are small group of Kaurnans were painting their faces with a white paste. “They are going to begin a Korribarre.”

Mara turned back to them, leaning in. “That’s quite an honour - I thought the ceremony was never performed for outsiders?”

“It’s usually not,” Tandanya said with a smile. “But you both had such an interest in the Serpent’s Dreamscape, Barrandani suggested you would like to see it.”

Luke looked over to the Chief, his face completely covered with the white paint so he resembled the images they’d seen in the cave paintings. “He is a generous leader.”

Tandanya looked at him curiously. “Barrandani is our elder, but not our leader - we have none.”

“Oh,” Luke grimaced, feeling he’d made another mistake.

“Mara Jade tells me it is your way,” Tandanya nodded. “And I know the Fillali have a Queen who rules over them, but we do not live like that.”

Luke was intrigued. “If I may ask...how do you decide on things?”

“We discuss, until we all agree” Tandanya told him. “Deference is given to our elders of course, but all opinions are valid.”

Luke briefly smiled to himself, imaging how Leia would react if the Senate ruled they would discuss issues until all were in agreement. He supposed that the idea, while lovely, may be more suited to a tribe of thirty members as opposed to a quorum of thousands.

“I understand you are a leader, Luke Skywalker,” Tandanya added, patting his arm gently to regain his attention.

“Yes,” Luke told her. “Of sorts.”

“And so you listen to all the voices of those you lead?”

“I try to.” Luke’s thoughts turned to his Academy - there were over two dozen Jedi Knights now, and many more students. “But sometimes not all agree, and decisions must be made.” He glanced at Mara, whose eyes were on the men preparing for the Korribarre but she was clearly listening intently to his and Tandanya’s conversation.

“It is not always easy,” Tandanya agreed, squeezing his arm gently. “Sometimes we must argue late into the night, but the reward is great.”

Luke smiled at the simplicity and conviction of her words. “You have a wonderful community, here,” he said, looking around at the tribe and the silver lake glistening nearby. “And a beautiful home.”

“We will stay here until the rains stop,” she told Luke wistfully. “And return next year when they start again.”

“You travel seasonally?” Luke asked, although that explained why their dwellings did not seem permanent.

Tandanya nodded. “The land here cannot sustain us for the entire year. We must move on, and allow the trees to regrow their bark and fruit once more, for the animals to rebuild their numbers. We cannot take from the land more life than it can give.”

Luke decided he would never tell her of Coruscant, the city world where all natural things had long since died. “I admire the philosophy.” He looked over to the trees stripped of their yellow bark. “Does the regrowth only take one year?”

Laughing, Tandanya gave him a strange look “You know so little of the land?”

“I grew up on a desert world,” he explained, spreading out his hands. “Somewhere it never rained, and nothing ever grew.”

“I am sorry,” Tandanya’s smile faded quickly. “We burn this section of the forest before we leave, and when we return it has been replenished.”

"Really?" Luke had never heard of such a technique. "And it grows again?"

“Life must renew itself,” she told him. “Some things must be destroyed, to encourage them to bloom anew.”

Luke didn’t reply, but found himself seeking Mara’s hand and squeezing it gently. She sighed in response, leaning her head against his shoulder, and they watched the Korribarre begin. There were long carved instruments played, blanketing the gathering in low haunting sounds as the tribe all began to clap to keep the beat. Tandanya nodded that they should join in, and Luke banged his hands together in tandem with the rest of the tribe as the men who’d been covered in white paint began to dance.

It was easy enough to follow, the elder Barrandani and a group of younger men forming a line to take the role of the Serpent, their dance flowing through the camp. Luke was captivated by the simplicity of the performance, and yet it seemed otherworldly and mystical; blue and green smoke from the fires winding around their white-painted bodies contorted in ritualistic dance.

There was a sense of unity in the small village and its inhabitants who had so welcomed them without reserve or judgement. They had shared something sacred with them, and Luke knew there was much knowledge he could seek, if he dared to look beyond the Force and realise that there was still so much about the galaxy he did not understand.

If he was prepared to humble himself, and learn.

It was Luke’s habit to rise when the sun did, his internal chrono undiminished even though he had lived longer away from the farm than on it. The previous morning in the cave was the first time he could remember Mara waking up before he did, and although her demeanor had been strange he’d resolved not to press her about it. She deserved her secrets.

This morning, however, Luke was pleased that he was again the first to awaken, his arms still around Mara as they had fallen asleep the previous night. It only took a few minutes for his wife to stir, shifting slightly in his embrace.

“Morning.” Luke nuzzled his nose into Mara’s neck, making her laugh softly.

“Morning, Farmboy.”

Luke smiled against her skin. “Its been a while since you called me that.”

“Hmmm, I suppose this is your lucky day.” Mara turned onto her back to face him, her hair matted from sleep and her eyes lidded from sleep. Luke never found her so beautiful as he did in this natural, unkempt state, and he touched her cheek reverently.

“I forgot to ask last night how your negotiations went.”

Mara laughed. “Now that’s the way for a husband to get his wife in the mood.”

“It’s the way to get my wife in the mood,” he teased, bopping her on the nose playfully.

“Ah, you know me too well.”

“So have you made a deal for the cortosis yet?” he pressed, not about to be distracted.

“You know, it didn’t come up.” Mara’s gaze slipped away, and she shifted under the blanket.

Luke lifted himself up on one elbow and looked down at her with one eyebrow raised. “I thought that was the reason you came.”

“We didn’t even know it was here,” Mara pointed out, suddenly very interested in examining the lint on their blanket.

“Well any other minerals then,” Luke pressed, knowing she was avoiding the question.

Mara sighed deeply, lifting her eyes to his again, now fully alert. “I decided that mining this planet wasn’t the best idea.”

“Oh.” Luke found himself smiling, his heart blossoming. “The best idea for who? Certainly not Karrde.”

Mara huffed and smacked him in the arm. “Knock it off, Skywalker.”

But Luke couldn’t keep the grin off his face, because he knew that Mara had decided to protect his Order by not allowing the cortosis to be mined, even though it meant Karrde’s organisation would lose the potential profits. She was thinking like a Jedi, not a trader - for perhaps the first time in her life.

“So what did you talk about?” he asked, since she’d been in discussions with Tandanya and the elders for many hours.

“We agreed that we could return, pending approval from the whole tribe,” she told him. “There’s various aspects of the world I would like to explore - the powder that makes their fires burn hot, for example, and various medicines Tandanya spoke about. And...I thought that when I’m ready to take a class at the Academy it would be a good idea to bring the students here, so they can learn to survive without the Force.”

Luke cupped her face in his hands, his heart so full it could not be contained. “I love you, Mara,” he said as he kissed her firmly, trying to convey just how much what she had done had meant to him.

She held him to her, embracing him tightly as if she would never let go. “I love you too, Luke,” she whispered to him. “I love you.”

Gemma, Annia Piet and Nyota's Heart like this.
  16. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    What a beautiful rich culture you've presented to us JadeLotus =D= They are open-hearted and wise and have a grateful and well-balanced stewardship of the land. @};- I love Luke and Mara teasing each other and the ease with which Mara starts thinking like a Jedi and also not wanting to enter any trade agreements that would adversely affect the Kaurnans. And the way she is contemplating seriously taking a class and/or teaching it at the Academy - made Luke's day.

Oh, but I wish the politics in our nations was as even-handed and full of humility as the Kaurnans. No self-interest - pushing ahead at the expense of those in need, with the power-hungry grabbing and grabbing! [face_thinking] How utterly refreshing ...

Thanks for sharing!

<3

JadeLotus likes this.
  17. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Awwwwe! Yes! I love it! I love the detail you put into the culture. But this had me laughing way too hard:

“I’m sure,” Mara said dryly, and gave him a poke in the ribs. “You can grind my flour later tonight - show me how it’s done.”

Gemma, JadeLotus and Nyota's Heart like this.
  18. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Hooray, we get to meet the Kaurnans! And even hear some of their language and see some of their everyday life. I'm very curious now to hear what in this chapter you've based on the real-life Kaurna: the language? the system of governance? The beliefs in the Serpent, etc.? (And did Mara get the language right? You've left that point tantalizingly unclear. :D) It was rather priceless to see Luke trying to talk to her and her people about "metal skybirds" when it turns out she knows perfectly well what a starship is, and knows Basic—inverting the "ignorant natives" trope. :p

A few points of curiosity. First, Tandanya is apparently Mara's "contact person" among the Kaurna, but what's her position within this tribe (if that's the right thing to call it)? What is her relationship to the Chief? She seems to be in a relatively prominent leadership position despite her youth. Second, how could the Chief tell that Mara and Luke had been in the cave of the Serpent?

I like Mara's idea about bringing Academy students to Kaurna to give them practice in survival without the Force, and that sounds like it would make an interesting story for later. ;) Though given the importance of the cave of the Serpent and the Dreamscape to the Kaurnans, I bet they would be "discuss[ing] until we agree" for a long time on that point. :p And given the strong effect the Dreamscape had on Mara, I wonder how even "greener" students would react. [face_thinking]

Loved the Dagobah cave tie-in, hinting that this Dreamscape experience was a bit by way of being Mara's Dagobah—a formative experience in the same vein as Luke's cave encounter. :cool:

19. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    “Life must renew itself,” she told him. “Some things must be destroyed, to encourage them to bloom anew.”

In nature and in relationships too, it seems. I love the interactions between the two cultures, and how patient each side s with the other. The people of Kaurna seem so grounded and contented. Not simple, but they lack the aggressiveness that can lead to conflicts.

Mara has truly grown through this experience. She has begun to think more globally, as Luke notes; more like a Jedi.

And that line about grinding corn cracked me up, too.

Gemma, JadeLotus and Nyota's Heart like this.
  20. MaraJade1225

MaraJade1225 Jedi Master star 2

Mar 29, 2004
    I can't get over how much I enjoy this story. The way that you capture Mara, and her inner musings/struggles is so profound. Great job as always!

21. Annia Piet

Feb 7, 2015
    Great conclusion! The tribe is very evokatively described, you have a real talent for creating imagined cultures. And the transition of Mara from trader-think to Jedi-think was perfectly done.

22. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!! [face_love] [face_love] [face_love] I commented over on the other site for chapter 4, but I want to say here that I love how much thought you've put into this series, how much L/M are growing together as a couple. And that Mara can now say ILY to him makes me cheese like: :D and I looooooooooooooove it. [face_love] [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

23. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005

Thank you! I was inspired by the culture of Australian indigenous tribes, although I hope I avoided the "noble savage" trope. Although there is something to be said of such harmonious culture, living with one another and off the land without taking more than any if wiling to give. All Luke wanted was a sign that Mara was actually serious about being a Jedi - and she gave that to him.

She's a woman who knows how too put such skills to good use ;)

A great deal is based on generalised Australian indigenous cultures, although they are varied of course. The Rainbow Serpent is a creation myth common throughout Aboriginal culture, as is the concept of the Dreamtime which is more a collection of stories, fables and laws as well as being about spiritual enlightenment. The semi-nomadic existence and the burning practices to promote re-growth and ensure sustainability is also based in historical and cultural fact.

Mara got the language as right as a non-native speaker could, although she correctly advised Luke in an earlier chapter that the pronunciation of Kaurna is in fact more like "Garna" or "Garner". Sadly Kaurna is a dead language (although there are efforts to revive it), and the words I have used here are loosely based upon the actual langauge, with liberties taken of course. "Tandanya" is in fact a Kaurna word meaning "place of the red kangaroo."

I was drawn the the idea of a planet with its own spirituality or "magic" and not have it be a manifestation of the Force. There is more to heaven and earth, etc... Particularly because Mara has had such a difficult time coming to terms with the Force, her own abilities, her past, that to break away from that and be able to confront her demons and doubts on her own terms was very important. As for the rest...I'll leave it up to the interpretation of the reader :)

[/quote]I like Mara's idea about bringing Academy students to Kaurna to give them practice in survival without the Force, and that sounds like it would make an interesting story for later. ;) Though given the importance of the cave of the Serpent and the Dreamscape to the Kaurnans, I bet they would be "discuss[ing] until we agree" for a long time on that point. :p And given the strong effect the Dreamscape had on Mara, I wonder how even "greener" students would react. [face_thinking]

Loved the Dagobah cave tie-in, hinting that this Dreamscape experience was a bit by way of being Mara's Dagobah—a formative experience in the same vein as Luke's cave encounter. :cool:[/quote]

Exactly, and even more important for Mara to know that the vision wasn't a manifestation or manipulation of the Force, but the fears of her own heart that she had to address and overcome.

No society is without conflict, of course, but I am very interested in cultures that achieve an equilibrium with their environment and I wonder if that does influence a less aggressive and possessive people - if everything is shared and nothing is "owned" then people must strive for the good of everyone without squabbling or territory or possessions. It is actually a very Jedi-like concept, and important for Mara to experience.

Thank you! Mara is such a complex character, and I love getting inside her head.

Thank you, although I fear most of the cultures in these fics are simply re-purposed from various Earth practices, which I hope doesn't border on cultural appropriation!

Thanks gal! Mara's had such trouble saying those words with ease, and she's finally made a breakthrough ;)

Findswoman likes this.
  24. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005
    First Date

“Candle, sir?”

Luke turned to the sound of a lilting female voice and saw a young woman standing beside him in white robes. In her outstretched palm she held a white candle in the shape of a lotus blossom; native Chandrilan flowers that were plentiful in the lakes the bordered the city.

“Of course,” Luke smiled, retrieving a credit chip from his pocket and handing it to the woman.

“Peace be upon you, Sir.” She gave him a small bob of a curtsy.

“And you,” Luke replied with a nod as she floated away to find more customers and he stowed the candle away in his robes.

Hanna City bustled with life, a severe change in pace for the usually sedate world. More a town than a city, Luke walked through the small cobblestoned town square with quaint buildings and market stalls, bordered by vast gardens and small cottages that served as residential homes and tourist accommodation. Usually the population of Hanna numbered only a few hundred, but as it was the annual Peace Fete it was swarming with visitors eager to purchase lotus candles and head towards the Silver Sea. Luke had never before attended the festivities always held in the Chandrian spring, but Mon Mothma had made a point to send him an invitation this year and he didn’t feel it right to refuse, no matter how busy he was at the Academy.

Night was approaching, although the weather was still pleasantly warm with the smell of lotus blossoms in the air. Up ahead in the town square was a large fountain with dozens of the flowers floating in the silver-blue water, but that was not what drew Luke’s attention. He blinked to make sure she wasn't an apparition, but indeed she was there, dressed in a knee-length dress of midnight blue. Its stiff collar sat up high on her neck, but the neckline dropped low between her breasts in a way that took Luke's breath away. He quickened his pace and reached the fountain in mere moments, embracing his wife tightly.

"Mara," he whispered against her hair, his hands meeting the cool smooth skin exposed by the open back of her dress. "What did I do to deserve this?"

Through their bond he felt a memory surface, a conversation they'd had on Yavin a lifetime ago. You don't deserve it, Skywalker. But I came anyway.

"Nothing," she teased as she pulled away. "I just love you."

Luke grinned at the words flowing so easily from her lips. "I thought you were on Coruscant?" Not quite willing to let her go just yet, he ran his fingers lightly down the small bumps of her spine.

"Negotiations finished early," Mara explained. "And when your sister said you'd be here I figured I'd come meet you. I thought we could have...a date." The word seemed unfamiliar as her mouth worked awkwardly around it. "You know, like normal people. So I put on a nice dress and made reservations at the only restaurant in town."

Luke was touched that she'd made the effort. "I'm surprised you got in, with the Peace Fete going on."

"Yes, well, I can be persuasive," Mara pinched his side playfully. "And to be honest I didn't know about the Fete until I got here."

“I’m told it's best to go to the Sea after dark,” Luke told her. “And I promised to meet Mon Mothma there.”

"Well come on then, Skywalker," Mara tugged lightly on his hand. "Dinner, then duty."

It was well into the evening when Luke and Mara made their way to the Silver Sea, following the stream of locals and guests through tree-lined paths lit up by fairy lights in the shape of lotus blossoms. Mara knew that the flower was native to Chandrila, but she’d changed her plans at the last minute and hadn’t even thought to ask Leia why exactly Luke was visiting the planet. He’d been too consumed with his balmgrass-smoked blackback during dinner to explain, and Mara had gotten into an involved discussion with the sommelier regarding the local wine which he swore included gem dust mined from the Crystal Caves. In the end Mara had conceded that the wine was very good indeed although she remained sceptical about the notion of crystal dust.

The Silver Sea was aptly named, for when they reached a blue-sand beach the shimmering waters seemed to stretch on forever. The sea was unusually calm although the beach was swarming with activity, thousands of people walking solemnly up to the water’s edge and placing lit candles on its surface. Surprisingly the lotus-shaped lights floated easily on the rippling tides as they were slowly carried out to sea and already the silver waters were alight with floating candles, the flames lightly dancing from the shore to the horizon.

“Beautiful, isn’t it.” A soft voice spoke from behind them, and Mara turned to see Mon Mothma also carrying a white candle in the shape of a lotus blossom, the flame flickering brightly in the darkness that surrounded them. The last time Mara had seen the former Chief-of-State was at the Republic-Imperial peace accord, and although at that time she’d seemed happy, Mothma had also appeared tired and drawn. But looking at her now the woman seemed revitalised, as if being back on her homeworld and among her people had lifted the hard years from her life.

“Mon,” Luke smiled and stepped forward to give her a light kiss on cheek in greeting which Mothma effusively returned, patting Luke’s arm fondly with her free hand. “How’s retirement?” he asked.

“Not as peaceful as I had hoped,” Mothma said ruefully in that light, lilting voice of hers. “I seem to get a holocall ever other day from someone at New Republic Intelligence asking for assistance, and I am of course happy to give it. I hope that it helps the new generation stand their own.”

“I know what you mean,” Luke sighed, stepping back and resting a light hand on Mara’s back. He was always conscious to include her, she noted with fondness.

“Hello Mara,” Mothma said with a warm smiled, and Mara nodded in return. She was never sure what to say to the woman without sounding trite, her unease not based on intimidation, but something else Mara had never been able to place. Perhaps it was the conversations she’d once had with the Emperor about Mothma when she’d still been Senator for Chandrila and had not yet been outed as a Rebel. Palpatine had known, of course, and Mothma had been high up on the “list” of known traitors together with Bail Organa. Mara had understood that one day she would be tasked with carrying out the execution of every soul on that list - when her Master had decided the time was right. The thought still made her shudder.

“Do you have your candles?” Mothma asked.

“Ah,” Luke fished inside the pocket of his robe and withdrew a candle identical to Mothma’s and the multitudes already on the water. “Right here.”

“What are they for?” Mara asked politely. She’d seen them being sold in the town but hadn’t bothered to enquire.

“They are for remembrance,” Mothma explained, reaching forward to light Luke’s candle from her own. “For our friends and families who died in the Civil War. We set them into the water, and release our sorrow."

Mara looked out into the waters where the lotus candles were buoyant, small points of light which mimicked and reflected the dense night sky above. “I see,” she said softly, heat pricking at the back of her eyes.

"Take mine, Mara," Mothma said warmly and stepped forward, pressing the candle into Mara’s hands.

"I don't have anyone I lost," she murmured, not wanting to meet Mothma's eyes. "I usually did the taking."

"For them, then," Mothma suggested. "For their families who cannot be here." She patted Mara lightly on the arm, and with a warm smile departed their company with a reminder to Luke about the continued festivities the following day, and the absent comment that if he enjoyed the Chandrilan celebrations, perhaps he should make time to visit the planet Naboo for the Festival of Light. Naboo, Mothma said with a strange sort of smile, was a planet he might find of historical interest.

Mara stared down at the Mothma’s candle flickering in her hands, blinking only when the light hurt her eyes. Luke’s warm hand was on her back, stroking her skin softly and his finger lightly drawing the infinity symbol over and over. It was a habit he’d picked up, and despite herself Mara found it comforting.

“Shall we?” he whispered eventually, guiding her lightly down through the coarse blue-sand to the water’s edge. He knelt down first, setting the candle into the water where it bobbed lightly on the surface. The sand was rough against her knees when she joined him, but Mara let go of the light in her hands, gifting it to the sea and watching as it joined Luke’s, the two candles floating beside one another off into the distance.

She felt Luke’s arm around her shoulders and Mara relaxed into his embrace. Her mind, however, was blank, unable to conjure up the faces of those whose lives she’d taken in the year’s she’d served as Palpatine’s puppet.

"You did lose someone," Luke murmured against her hair. "Your parents."

Mara thought back to those long ago memories, scant and tenuous. And yet, as she watched the lights dance upon the water Mara almost thought she could see her mother’s face, crumpled in sadness as her child was taken from her, and her father’s harsh words arguing with her captor to no avail. She remembered the falling-star globe which had hung in her room, and her parent’s anger when she had taken it apart to see how it worked - it had been a family heirloom, she remembered. It was certain that they both were dead - perhaps they had been killed as soon as she’d been taken from them, or perhaps her capture had driven them to the Rebellion where they had been sure to perish in the bitter war that followed. Either way, the loss cut at her heart in a way she had never before allowed herself to acknowledge, and Mara felt hot tears spill onto her cheeks.

Luke’s arms folded properly around her, and Mara sniffed ruefully into his chest. “It’s not good to cry on a first date,” she joked. But Luke didn’t answer, and simply held her in the sand as they watched the candles float out to sea.

Some time later they took a casual walk along the beach and found a small cafe happy for their patronage. They didn’t serve hot chocolate, so Luke settled for a strong caf and Mara tried one of the local herbal teas infused with balmgrass. It was pleasant enough, and Mara sipped it slowly as the cool ocean breeze floated in from the beach.

Who were you thinking of?” Mara asked, looking out to the horizon where candlelight still flickered.

“My aunt and uncle,” Luke said softly, and when Mara turned back she saw his expression was grave. “They didn’t fight in the war - they tried to keep me as far as possible from it. And yet they still died in it.”

“Do you think they knew?” Mara asked cautiously. “What a risk they were taking with you.”

Luke shrugged, absently tracing the rim of his cup. “I can’t be sure of what Obi-Wan told them, but even if they didn’t know about my father they still sacrificed so much to take me in.”

“What do you mean?"

"Children could be a burden in the farming community,” Luke explained, his gaze rising to hers again. “Helpful once they're old enough to work, but it's the years before that to be survived first, when there's an extra mouth to feed and too much work to be done. Wealthier families like my aunt’s had the luxury of two children - she had a sister, but my childhood was years of drought when the farm barely sustained the three of us. My aunt and uncle gave up the hope of having their own child to raise me."

Though their bond in the Force, which she was grateful to have restored, Mara sent a calming wave to envelop his still-jagged grief. “I wish I’d known them.”

“They would have liked you, Mara,” Luke smiled, and looked out to sea again. “They’d be happy to know I’d found a family of my own.”

Mara almost told him then, but decided the moment was not quite right with the cafe staff within earshot and no doubt anxious for gossip. It had been only a month since they’d been rescued from the planet Kaurna, with Han and Leia showing up eventually in one of the old Filalli ships not affected by the energy field the planet produced. Since then she and Luke had again been pulled away by their respective duties, although this time they’d made a point to speak to each other every day over the comm. But it was hardly news to be given over the holonet, even on a secure line, so Mara had waited until the perfect opportunity had presented itself in the stopover on Chandrila. But not yet Mara told herself - not yet.

They finished their drinks in better spirits, chatting about Mara’s trade deals on Coruscant which she hoped would help finish up her work with the Smuggler’s Alliance, and the new students who had arrived on Yavin.

“So should we head back to your cottage?” Mara asked, checking the bill and throwing the required credits in the repository.

Luke balked, but could not hide his smile. “So you think we should?” he teased. “This is only our first date, after all. I thought standard procedure was to wait until at least the third date before sleeping over.”

Mara laughed. “How would you know?” she needled him. “You’ve never really dated like this.”

“No - but Leia’s certainly drilled the rules into me over the years,” he admitted. “Apparently courtship on Alderaan are pretty strict.”

“I can see Leia having a schedule,” Mara smiled to herself and affected Leia’s crisp voice. “Okay Han, according to my checklist it’s halfway through date number two, so it’s time to hold hands before the desert comes.”

“To be fair, Leia and Han didn’t exactly have a standard courtship either,” Luke reminded her, chuckling at her impression of his sister. “Although she does like to be in control…”

"I can go back to the Sabre," Mara offered, in case he was serious.

"No," Luke took her hand. "You can come back, if you think you can keep your hands off me."

"I'll try," was her dry retort.

Luke’s cottage was located on the outskirts of Hanna City, a quaint stone building nestled in a beautiful, wild garden. Mara had of course already ascertained this, and had stopped off there first before making her way into the city.

"I dropped Elia off earlier," Mara said as he punched in the code which would allow entrance to the small dwelling. "Hopefully she and Patooga haven't killed each other."

However they found upon entering that their pets were fast asleep in front of the roaring fire, Patooga’s large form curled around Elia's small one, her chin resting on one of the toe pads on his large paws.

“Well,” Luke said with raised eyebrows. “That’s a surprise.”

“Sure is,” Mara poked his side and sank down into the couch. “Who knew your pet was capable of building a fire?”

Luke laughed and plopped himself down next to her, his arm falling casually around her shoulders. “I think it’s more likely to have been the caretaker,” he teased, nuzzling her cheek with his nose. “Although I’m sure Patooga’s smart enough.”

Mara snorted with derision. “That thing?” she scoffed, which made Patooga raise his head, looking at them with its sleepy eyes. “It’s toepad is larger than its brain.” The wonat nudged his tooka companion with his snout, making Elia hiss with displeasure at having been awoken, but she stretched her claws and then sideled over to sit on Mara’s lap. Patooga followed suit, although he was now far too large to nestle himself on Luke’s knees, and settled for jumping onto the couch next to him and nestling into his side. Luke patted the wonat absently, and Mara felt his utter contentment emanate through their bond.

Resting her head against Luke’s chest and taking a deep breath, Mara knew now was the right time. "I was thinking," she began, "about our agreement to spend more time together. Are you still willing to take a sabbatical?"

"Of course," Luke said, kissing her cheek. "I've already been putting things into place on Yavin - Leia's decided to retire from politics and I've persuaded her to move the family there for an extended vacation. I've almost talked her into teaching as well, at least until her baby comes."

"Good,” Mara nodded, not wanting to get distracted by the topic of Leia’s pregnancy. “Because I have a suggestion. If you agree to spend the next seven months with me while I finish up with Karrde's organisation, I promise that after that I will move to Yavin - permanently."

She felt Luke’s surprise through their bond, followed by a cautious happiness. Outwardly, however, he remained calm. "Why seven months?"

Mara shifted slightly on the couch so she could look her husband fully, making Elia hiss and jump back down onto the floor. She took a deep breath and steeled herself before saying: "Because that's how much longer I will be pregnant."

"What?" Luke’s jolt of shock was so great it dislodged Patooga’s head from his lap, and the wonat groaned with annoyance. Absently patting Patooga’s head to calm him, Luke stared at her open-mouthed.

"Well, not exactly,” Mara smiled, savoring the moment and his priceless expression. “But I don't want to go into labour in the middle of some mission, so that will give us a buffer."

"I meant...you mean...you're pregnant?"

"Yes, and before you ask, I'm happy." She was sure to communicate her elation through their bond, but knew that her words were what he needed to hear. Mara remembered what Leia had told her when admitting her own condition, and while at the time she had dismissed the words as mere fancy, now she understood perfectly. “I’m so happy I don’t remember what it's like to be anything else.”

Luke’s face split into a wide grin, although he still seemed to be in a bit of shock. “I...this is wonderful,” he managed to splutter out, and through their bond she could feel his heart singing.

“I know it’s not standard first date protocol to tell your partner you’re pregnant,” she teased, leaning in and merging her Force sense with his.

“Kriff protocol,” Luke growled, pulling her into his arms and kissing her soundly.

25. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Aaaaah! That was so cute! Please give them a happy ending!

JadeLotus likes this.