main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends A Year in the Life (L/M, holiday fic series) 25 March The Deepest Note is the Cobalt Sky

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by JadeLotus, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    I love the banter between Luke and Leia about making her an Aunt.

2. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005

Thank you! I credit Zahn for trying to come up with a background to the Alderaan question, but never really liked that the Organa name came from Bail. I LOVE Bail, but I enjoy the implication of the prequels that the throne is carried through the maternal line and that Breha is a mirror of Padme is some respects.

:D Half of me is kind of surprised that it's not really be done before, but the other half knows why - it is kind of weird!

[:D] I was so inspired by your Sabé headcanons, and I'm so intrigued by Leia's childhood since she rarely muses on it in the Legends books, and almost never to Luke.

Aldreraan really seems like it would be a culture that would value art, and I spent a lot of time planning how this gallery would look and how they would celebrate it and was particularly inspired by the immersive experience of French galleries and museums like the L'Orangerie, D'orsay and Rodin in Paris

Thank you for letting me bug you about stuff!

Thank you! I think the remaining Alderaanians would really make an effort to remember Bail and Breha as representative of everyone who died. The touching of the feet is kind of inspired by the Catholic tradition of pilgrims touching the feet of important statues, including the those of St Peter in the Basilica and St James in the Santiago de Compostela, which I always thought was quite a lovely ritual. I was drawn to the idea of this highly civilised, cultured society still having this connection to nature, and an act which could be viewed as debasing or primitive but is actually highly respectful.

I tell you, I love these pets like they were my own - Patooga being intrusive is very much based on my sister's lab, who likes to make sure he knows where everyone is at all times. If you get up to got to the bathroom, he will follow just to keep any eye on everything :p And Luke I just see as an "animal" person who creatures just flock to no matter how surly they are to others!

Thank you! Taramidala was kind enough to let me pester her with Sabé questions and the Luke and Leia section owes a lot to her inspiring material :)

Finding the right quotes for Breha and Bail was very important to me - as something which would feel like they would each say as well as be inspiring to those who visited the monument. As the Queen of what was likely a constitutional monarchy with a strong focus on democracy and representation, I imagined Breha as a woman who considered herself the servant of the people, rather than their ruler.

Bail's quote is actually inspired by two real-life quotes, the famous Edmund Burke quote: "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" and also a modern version by an Australian Army Chief David Morrison: "The standard you walk past is the standard that you accept."

[​IMG]

Girl, your gifs always make my day!

It seems to be a pattern with this fic series - My True Love Gave to Me was meant to be a one-shot (Ha! What was I thinking?), and this one was going to be one post as well, until I had to include a follow up of the pets (and reveal Elia's name!), get through all of my art descriptions, having Luke and Leia talk about Sabé AND bring in the fertility statue to set up the second half of the fic so...it became a 2-hander :p

That is gorgeous! I don't know where that is, but it's actually really close to what I was picturing - I was actually inspired by Sainte-Chapelle in Paris which has beautiful and comprehensive stained glass, but it's not as bright as what I pictured for the Galleria, whereas the above pic is a lot closer to the ceiling in my imagination.

Thank you! As this post has proved, I'm inspired a great deal by real life stuff as well as the thoughts/work of other authors - fandom and fic is such a communal exercise I've found, building on all the works that have come before. I love seeing little easter eggs from various works and sneaking a few in myself ;)

Thanks! I think Leia would be quite anxious to have a little niece or nephew to spoil - she's waiting long enough! ;)

3. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    That's the skylight over the concert hall at the Palau de la Música Catalana in Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain. :)

4. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005
    Oh, it's so pretty! Onto the bucket list it goes...

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  5. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001

I like them being pet parents. :D The reasons for the names they chose are interesting and revealing. Love that Patooga is basically named Pie. [face_laugh] Seems like a good name for an exuberant canine-type pet. And Mara's love of music and opera, which we see again later, is really neat! It's nice to see them have interests that aren't directly relevant to their jobs.

Aww! For some reason, this really stuck out to me. Quite possibly a relic from the awkward middle years of their acquaintance. I like that he'd never noticed it or heard the story behind it. There are always mysteries, even when you know someone as closely as anyone can.

Really liked this interpretation of why Mara wasn't around during Dark Empire. Tying it into Luke's lone hero complex of the time makes a lot of sense. And he did have a point -- the C'Baoth thing was a huge trial.

The judgmental gaze of the cat -- I mean, tooka. [face_laugh]
    The visit to New Alderaan is emotionally charged and beautiful. I really admire your development of how the survivors of Alderaan might choose to express their rebuilding in art. The focus isn't on mourning, but there's a strong theme of remembrance underlying everything. Also like the name of the Piazza Organa -- gives the Alderaanian culture a hint of Italy that's borne out in the statuary and customs. Lovely! @};-

This sounds like an incredible place to visit. :)

[face_love] I absolutely loved this scene! There's something about the idea of the leader who really loves the people that they represent that strikes me right in the feels every time. Padme had that, and so did Bail and Breha. And they passed it on to Leia in turn.

The richness and depth that seems to lie behind these decorations is fascinating. It makes the mythological beings nerd in me happy that Alderaan had legends of dryads in the orowoods -- seems like just the place. ;) And the Great Mother representation that to me has the eeriest of echoes in the Saga -- at least two that I can think of -- is an interesting addition to the Alderaanian culture. Liked how that was brought in again later in the form of Leia's gift to Luke.

Oh, wow. This was an astonishing moment. (Thanks for the notes on the real life inspiration -- it sounded vaguely familiar and I'm glad to know that there is a basis.) I really like how it makes the potentially cold and distant memorials into something that is instead embraced and -- as Luke says -- connected to the living.

The quotes for both of them were powerful and really seem to embody the spirit of who Bail and Breha were as leaders. And, in a way, as parents. Leia's story shows how those beliefs weren't just words but actions that helped form her into a courageous and responsible woman.

This is an interesting thought from Luke, and I like his comparison of Leia's childhood to his own early life. Neither of them had a bed of roses, but the common factor is that they were loved and protected by their guardians. :)

Really liked the variety of artworks on display. It shows both the Alderaanians' appreciation of beauty and an ability to express it in many different mediums. Also, do I spot a sculpture by an unknown artist that might be familiar? ;)

Leia's sharing of memories about Sabe was poignant. So many if-onlys, but there seem to be many good memories too. Nice incorporation of the First Night holidays from taramidala's fic.

=D=

This brings a smile, as does Luke's realization that it's not Mara who may have been making a hint with the very-relevant holiday visit. :) And Leia being eager to spoil his and Mara's kids (no doubt sending them home on a sugar high. :p)

6. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    But Luke Skywalker was not like most sentients, and he keenly felt the transition; the Force coming back into focus with shattering impact. Even with Mara’s expert piloting of her state-of-the-art ship the Jade Sabre, Luke was jolted from sleep as it came out of hyperspace.

Nope, Luke is certainly not like most sentients. That is why we love him so much, don´t we? :D

Mara is the only person that I allow the privilege to call Luke "a lazy sod". [face_tee_hee]

Anyway, I like that you weave old Earth traditions like the Spring Equinox into the SW universe.

And I simply loves your description of New Alderaan and Sabé turning up in your story. @};-

Nyota's Heart, JadeLotus and Kahara like this.
  7. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005
    I'm glad you like the names, I didn't want to go for something cliche or obvious for either, but the Huttese and food just seemed like something Luke would come up with! Mara's choice of name was very hard, but given her canon and fanon love for music it seemed fitting - as we know Mara is "bitter" in Hebrew, but based on my research it was also a location visited by the Israelites during the Exodus - Marah was a place with water, but it was bitter and undrinkable. Elim was also a place along the journey where there were twelve wells of water, which sustained the travellers. I then decided that Elia was an appropriate feminine version of the name Elim :)

It always struck me as odd that Mara wasn't around during DE (in universe, of course I know the comics and books weren't really that concerned with a cohesive narrative at the time), and this seemed like an appropriate explanation. They really could have helped each other at the time, but of course it was hugely challenging and perhaps they just weren't close enough to reach out to each other.

I see Mara as the kind of person who would be creeped out making out in front of an animal!

Naboo had such an Italian feel in the prequels, and I think a great deal of the culture would align with Alderaan which were also people who valued beauty and civilisation - I see Alderaan as inspired by both Italian and French culture.

As for the music - in my head the orchestra was playing Across the Stars.
    Although we see only a glimpse of her in the films, I really love Breha and the idea that she headed up this constitutional monarchy which was rooted in democracy and she was this benevolent figurehead that cared very much for her people. She was a mirror of Padme in so many ways, and the perfect mother to instill those qualities in Leia.

In have this firm belief that Alderaan is a matriarchal culture, hence the Organa name coming from Breha and their religion being based on a Mother Goddess - I love all of those mythological beings like dryads, and really liked the idea of a contrast between the staid and senatorial civilisation of the city balanced by a spiritual connection to nature.

Thank you! I love of those traditional rituals so it was nice to include them here.

Ha, ha, yes! A tiny easter egg, since I don't know the fate of the artist she remains unknown, but I think the Alderaanis would cultivate all kind of art, not just from their own planet and people.

Leia is so ready to be an Aunty she can't stand it :p She's willing to put a bit of faith in her own culture and traditions to achieve it.

Thanks so much for the detailed and lovely comments!

Absolutely! ;)

[face_laugh] A wife's prerogative!

Thank you! I've enjoyed using Earth traditions and spirituality in a GFFA context.

8. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    How I feel about this year in the life......... [face_love][face_party][face_dancing][face_love][face_party][face_dancing]

So, yes, now that that's out of the way.... I loved part 1 of this section and can't wait for part 2!! I love Luke and Leia's talk, and all the little touches of Alderaanian society that you placed in here. And I think we're all waiting for the Skycrawler, Leia!!!! :D I love, love, love this, lady!!!!!!! [:D]

9. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005

[:D] Thanks gal! Leia thinks that waiting eight months into their marriage to bug them about kids is plenty of time - she wants to be an Auntie, dammit! :p

The second part took may too long to write, so much so that now I'm behind in planning the next installment, but such is (fic) life, I suppose...

The Garden of Unearthly Delights: Night

As night fell on New Alderaan, Mara and Luke made their way to the vast grasslands which surrounded the city, following the crowd of people and torches which lit up the path to the sacred sites.

In contrast to the sombre and civilised behaviour in the city that day, the crowd of citizens and visitors was vibrant, simmering with a barely contained excitement. Mara gathered that the shift in tone was to be expected - the day's festivities had celebrated the pinnacle of Alderaani culture; art, music and dignified reflection. That night, however, would be a very different kind of revelry. The crowds had abandoned their modest, formal dresses, tunics, and capes of Royal Organa blues and senatorial whites for free-flowing clothes every other colour of the rainbow. Although there was a spring chill in the air, Mara saw the high collars and stiff fabrics of the day replaced with low necklines, bare backs and exposed arms. There were many among the crowd dressed specially for the occasion, donning stylised costumes meant to resemble dryads, sprites and other creatures. She saw one woman wearing a gold headdress in the likeness of a cairoka bird, and several men with the red antlers of orowood deers.

Mara herself had purchased a new dress earlier that day; a taupe bodice of woven barkcloth and red stitching which gave the look and texture of orowood, and a sheer vinesilk skirt of forest green which shimmered when she moved. The dress also had soft shoulder patches made to resemble the rainbow lichen which grew on the orowood trees, and were luminescent in the dark. The lichen also made up the circlet she wore in her unbound hair, and which would also start to glow as the night wore on. Her feet were bare, in keeping with tradition, and the dewy grass was soft under her toes.

Luke's hand slipped into hers as they came to a small stream on the outskirts of the city, and he helped her navigate across the stepping stones without her skirts dipping into the water. Mara smiled warmly at him, giving him a playful nudge in the Force, and then a physical nudge in the shoulder once they were safely across.

"So gallant," she teased him, but did not let go of his hand. Luke had declined to wear anything as daring or ostentatious as many others, sticking to black trousers, a black silk shirt and a sleeveless wool vest which hung down to his mid-thigh. When Mara had questioned him, Luke had pointed to his gold cufflinks in the shape of three curved lines intersecting at the middle point, and claimed that it was representative of the Alderaanian air spirits. Legend was that one such spirit had fallen in love with a dryad, and during the day the wind would blow softly to rustle the orowood tree that was her home, but at night both could take corporeal form and dance in the moonlight.
    Mara had appreciated the symbolism, and had suggested teasingly that perhaps he could complete the effect with the tiara he'd acquired on Corellia Day - he was the brother of Alderaan's princess, after all. He'd smirked and offered to wear the tiara if she beat him a sabacc game. Mara had scowled and said he looked fine after all - she was yet to best him at sabacc, a fact which still rankled. She'd won a game here and there, but only when she'd employed less than scrupulous methods.

They finally reached the location of that night's ceremony, a ring of standing stones located in the middle of a grassy meadow. Leia was already there, standing in the ring beside a central stone, taller and smoother than those surrounding it. She alone wore blue, a long flowing gown glittering with small pinprick gemstone. Her hair was loose and flowing down her back, and she wore a wreath crown which gave her an ethereal appearance. She was talking quietly with a priestess in red robes and a golden headdress, and Luke and Mara made their way through the crowd to the edge of the stone circle where Winter Celchu was standing. She wore a dress which almost seemed to be made of living flame; crimsons, oranges and golds shimmering in the light material as the soft breeze gently rustled her skirts. In her unbound silver-white hair she wore a circlet of gemstones which glimmered a deep red in the firelight. Her husband Tycho stood next to her in a fashionable scaled breastplate and a headpiece that appeared to resemble that of a Killik.

Luke greeted them both warmly, pulling Tycho into a hug and patting his back, then embracing Winter and kissing her cheek. As always Mara waited to gauge how best to greet Luke's friends, still slightly uncomfortable with such effusive displays. But she allowed both Winter and Tycho to kiss her cheek, although thankfully with more restraint than they'd shown Luke.

"Where are Han and the kids?" Luke enquired, looking around for the rest of his family.

"It seems they were tired after helping with the planting rituals today," Winter told them. "So Han offered to look after them tonight."

"He was happy to get out of wearing the new clothes Leia bought for him," Tycho said with a wink.

"You weren't so lucky, I see," Mara said pointedly, looking at his headpiece with antenna.

Tycho looked himself up and down with mock surprise. "Don't you like it, Mara? he teased. "I picked this out myself."

"Sadly, he did," Winter sighed theatrically as her gaze drifted to Luke.

Mara poked her husband in the ribs. "See?" she needled him. "You could have picked something more interesting."

But Winter gave Luke's outfit a nod of approval. "No, I like it," she said, resting her hand gently on Luke's forearm to examine a cufflink. "The wind spirits were serious and knowledgeable creatures, the oldest of the Great Mother's children. They say when she first came to Alderaan the planet was barren - left so by the Killiks." She gave her husband a pointed look, but Tycho just shrugged and adjusted his pincers.

"She let out a great breath," Winter continued, tracing the symbol on Luke's cufflink. "Making the mountains rise and the seas churn, and so the wind spirits were born, charged with blowing away all remnants of those before. Then she bled onto the great plains, and where her tears fell orowood trees took root." Winter gave Mara's dress an approving look up and down. "Soon entire forests had grown, but only in those original trees lived dryads. You are aware of the legend of the wind spirit who fell in love with one such creature?"

"I've heard of it," Luke nodded, giving Mara a quick wink.

"It's a beautiful story," Winter smiled. "He showed her the world outside her forest, and she taught him how to dance."

Luke took Mara's hand and pressed a kiss to her palm, and she had been so interested in Winter's words that she did not tease him again. Instead, he and Tycho fell into conversation about the latest model of X-Wing, with Tycho extremely keen on the improved propulsion systems and Luke lamenting that no new model seemed to have the dexterity of his old T-65.

"It is good to see you, Mara," Winter said in her light voice which as always failed to betray any emotion. Mara had always found the woman hard to read because of this, although she counted her among the friends she had acquired by virtue of her marriage to Luke. Mara understood Winter's aloofness and stoicism better than most, but she still struggled to discern what was going through her precise mind at any time.

"It certainly has atmosphere," Mara commented, looking back over the crowd who were waiting for the celebration to begin, happily engaged in greetings and conversations in the meantime. "Leia tells me you're the mastermind behind the festivities."

Winter smiled serenely, her gaze also sweeping over the assembly. "I remember the celebrations well from my youth. I hope this is a faithful recreation."

"I'm sure it is," Mara told her. "If the excitement of the crowd is anything to go by." Through the Force it felt like a light buzzing, a simmer of energy that was impossible to tune out.

"Having Leia here was crucial," Winter looked fondly over at her friend who had been joined by nine more priestesses in flowing scarlet dresses, each greeting Leia effusively in turn, leaning down and touching her bare feet and then embracing her.

"They still see her as their Princess," Mara observed, not missing the reverent and excited looks the crowd were giving Leia.

Winter smiled. "More like their Queen."

Mara inclined her head in thought. "I suppose that is more appropriate."

"It is more than that," Winter told her seriously. "The Queen of Alderaan is the embodiment of the Great Mother in the mortal realm - through her all life is possible."

Mara was surprised by the sudden passion from the usually composed Winter. "I didn't realise until today that Alderaanian people still held such beliefs." She had never really associated Alderaan with tree spirits and nature gods, but now she saw that it was a vital aspect of their culture all too often ignored.

"We value reason and justice, this is true," Winter explained, but her words were kindly. "But the mind cannot live without the heart, and so they exist in symbiosis. We seek truth and knowledge to nourish our minds, and this is found in our communion with one another, our intellectual society. Yet to nourish the heart we must look elsewhere - to the beauty of the world that sustains us; to give ourselves over to the divine and achieve enlightenment through the understanding that there are things we cannot know or comprehend."

The necessity of the heart was something Mara was still getting used to, but she found Winter's words moving. Months ago, at the end of the Midwinter Festival, she'd told Luke that she wanted to give herself over to possibility of having a child with him, to relinquish control over it. Perhaps there was something to be said for the Alderaanian concept of balance, and a place for giving oneself up to the unknown.
    When she looked back at Winter the woman was smiling, as if she'd somehow guessed where Mara's thoughts dwelt.

"Why do they wear red?" Mara enquired, wishing to avoid an awkward line of questioning she was sure Winter was about to launch into, and nodding towards the priestesses gathered in the standing stones.

"Blue is the colour of royalty and civility," Winter explained, although her knowing smile remained. "It is the sky above us and the oceans that surround us and sustain us. Red is the colour of passion, of fire, that which women bleed in order to give life."

"And the ceremony?"

Winter looked back over at the ring of standing stones, and the red priestesses inside. "They will dance and invoke the spirit of the Great Mother - the Sacred Circle symbolises life renewing itself, with no beginning or end."

Any further discussion was halted when it became clear the ceremony was about to start, with Leia and the head priestess standing in the centre of the henge facing the crowd and each of the other priestesses standing before one of the nine stones which made up the circle. The crowd soon quietened, and Mara felt Luke's hand slip back into hers as Leia began to speak.

Her voice was clear, carrying through the meadow with ease, and yet the words were unfamiliar. Mara soon identified it as Old Alderaanian, a language which had been briefly explained by her tutors but never taught. Essentially a dead language for anywhere other than on Alderaan itself, it was of no particular use in her studies since she would never be required to employ it. Still, hearing the lyrical words Mara could appreciate them and follow the gist of Leia's speech - a welcome to family and guests and likely a summary of the philosophy Winter had already shared with her. It was brief enough, for soon Leia gestured to the gathered musicians outside the stone circle, carrying traditional reed pipes and other instruments which appeared to be fashioned from native flora. They began to play, the music primitive but soulful, and Mara soon found herself carried away by the sweeping tune.

The nine priestesses began to dance inside the stone circle, their hands performing fluid and flowing movements in the air as their bare feet traveled lightly across the grass. They kept to their ring, occasionally joining hands as they danced and spun around Leia in the centre. The head priestess began to chant, waving her staff and lifting up her hands as if invoking some greater power. Then Leia began to sing.

Mara was surprised by the beautiful tone of Leia's voice - she'd heard her sing before of course, but never like this. Her bright, clear voice was raised in a song of Old Alderaani, underscored by the chanting of the head priestess as the others danced around, their bodies fluid and light as they moved through their spins and turns, red robes fluttering lightly in the breeze.

Perhaps it was a trick of the light, or perhaps it was simply the excitement of the crowd which bleed through the Force, but when Mara looked at Leia again her skin and hair seemed slightly darker, the features of her face slightly sharper. She had become the very image of the Great Mother, the same likeness that Mara had seen in glass and silks and monuments throughout the city.

The priestess' chanting became louder as the music swelled. The women swirled out of the henge in turn, each moving into the crowd and choosing a woman, taking her by the hand and leading her back to the dance. The last priestess approached Mara with purpose, and Mara shot Luke a suspicious look. But he shrugged, claiming ignorance, and a quick Force probe indicated he didn't know anything about it.

The priestess held out her hand and not wanting to spoil the festivities, Mara took it and allowed herself to be led between the standing stones and into the circle of women performing their ritual dance. In truth the music thrummed within her, and it was easy to pick up the steps, mimicking the priestesses which danced either side of her. She lifted her hands and allowed them to slide through the air, her bare feet drifting gracefully across the soft grass.

It had been so long since she had danced this freely, and Mara gave herself over to the movement. Her body fell easily into the rhythms of the music, her limbs moving easily as she spun around in concert with the other dancers. Through the Force she felt a surge of life, as if she was in harmony with the women who frolicked around her, and she understood why they would feel as if they were touching the divine.

Mara looked back towards the crowd, and saw that it was a sea of dance, many singing and moving along with the music, arms outstretched up in the air as if in reverence to the spirits above. Luke, however, was still, just outside the circle and watching her intently as she continued to dance. Her eyes met his and she felt a flicker of electricity surge through her veins.

The priestess who had chosen her gave Mara a slight nudge of her hand and a knowing look, nodding to where Luke was standing. Mara didn't need to be told twice, moving out between the stones as Leia's song reached a crescendo. Winter and Tycho were dancing themselves, arms tight around each other and Mara walked past them to her husband.

Gone was the staid Jedi Master too conservative to wear bright colours; in his place was a man of reckless abandon, his eyes glinting like gold in the firelight. As she approached he grabbed her arms, drawing her close to kiss her passionately. He tasted like a hot summer breeze, and she breathed him in, never wanting to let go.

Luke grasped her hand and led her through the crowd which stretched across the field, to the dense forest which grew at the northern edge. It was a thick and beautiful woodland mostly made of native oak trees, but the colonists had been able to cultivate orowood within the forest, notable by their brown and red bark and the lichen which glowed brightly in the night. They could still hear the sounds of the revelry in the distance and the music above that - no doubt wine would soon be served and the celebrations would go on long into the night. The moon was bright and full above them, and the night sky was not dark but full of deep blues, greens and pinks of the distant nebula which cradled the star system.

As they joined together in the forest there was no need for words. Their bond in the Force solidified and expanded, and Mara was bombarded with the sensations of the forest around them, as if they were connecting to the surrounding life. They were the lifeblood of the orowood tree and the whisper of the midnight wind. They were the moon above and the earth below; they were the Force itself, life renewing itself through them and with them.

But most of all, they were each other.

When Luke and Mara returned to the Sabre at dawn, Elia was waiting for them by the landing legs. They'd let her out to roam the city rather than leaving her cooped up in the ship, and evidently she'd made use of that freedom by visiting the nearby aviaries. At the tooka's feet was a stiff, lifeless bird with bloody claw marks in its chest. Elia looked up at their approach, and proudly nudged her prey forward with one claw.

"I hope that isn't a rare bird," Luke commented. "Leia would kill us if your pet made some kind of Alderaanian species extinct."

Mara laughed and bent down to gather Elia in her arms, giving the tooka a proud scratch behind the ears. "Who's a clever hunter?" she cooed in a decidedly un-Mara like fashion. It made Luke smile to see it, and he followed Mara into the ship without further comment.

"I wonder if she thought we'd abandoned her yesterday?" Mara asked absently as they made their way to their stateroom and she deposited Elia on the bed. "So she brought us the bird to prove her worth." She scratched Elia's ears again, as if to reassure her.

"I don't know," Luke kissed Mara's cheek and then sat down next to Elia, stroking her back. "I'll have to ask Jacen if that's normal behaviour for a tooka."

"Hmmm." Mara gazed down at her pet in thought for a few moments, and Elia looked back up at her with large, star-speckled eyes. Apparently satisfied, Mara smiled and then shooed Elia away with her hand, and the tooka padded out of the stateroom, probably to find one of her secret crawlspaces.

Luke leant back on his hands and yawned, exhausted from lack of sleep. "So...good vacation?" he asked.

Mara, still standing, bent down to kiss his forehead lightly. "Yes," she said simply, the backs of two fingers tracing his cheek lightly. "It was very...enlightening."

"When do you get leave again?" he was unable to stop himself from asking.

Sighing, Mara hooked one leg up on the bed, lifting up her skirt to expose a slender leg with a holster attached to her thigh.

"Not sure, next month maybe." She pulled a small blaster out and dropped it on the side table next to the bed, then unstrapped the holster. The action drew Luke's attention to the holos she'd placed on the table, and in particular the frame with the unidentified picture of him. Deciding not to ruin the perfection of the past day with talk of their imminent separation, he latched onto a new topic.

"When did you take that?" Luke asked, nodding towards the holo.

"A few years ago," Mara told him, her voice deceptively light. But Luke did not miss the slight tensing of her shoulders. "On Yavin." She disappeared into the 'fresher and emerged a few minutes later, the grime from the previous night washed off her face and feet.

"I didn't know you were an amateur holographer," Luke said, watching her expression carefully.

Mara shrugged her shoulders. "It's habit, I suppose. When I was the Hand it was useful to surveil a target."

Luke raised a curious eyebrow, although he was unsurprised by the admission. "I hope you weren't surveilling me there."

"No," Mara laughed lightly, sitting down on the bed beside him. "I don't know why I took the image - I don't know why I kept it all these years."

"Are you sure?" he teased, nudging her slightly with his arm.

"Alright, maybe I do," she conceded, resting her head against his shoulder. "I just remember being...struck by you in that moment. You seemed so pensive - I suppose I wanted to capture the image, to see if it would help me figure you what you were thinking."

"Do you know what I'm thinking now?" he asked huskily, nuzzling her temple with his nose.

"I thought you were tired," Mara said dryly.

"I think I'm getting a second wind."

"Hmmm." Mara looked back to the holo on the side table. "I have quite the collection, now," she added slyly.

"Holos?" Luke asked. "Of me?"

"No, of cute bantha cubs and waterfalls," she rolled her eyes. "Of course of you."

"Can I see them?" Luke asked with half-excitement, half-dread.

"Farmboy," she kissed his cheek as she stood up and went to the dresser. "I don't want to make you blush."

"Oh." Luke felt his cheeks grow warm anyway. Then he furrowed his brow and looked at his wife curiously, humming happily to herself as she removed her earrings and plonked them down on the dresser. "When exactly did you take these holos?"

Mara shrugged as she took off her circlet. "When the right moment strikes. I have a rather nice one of you sleeping from our honeymoon - your bum looked so cute I couldn't resist."

Luke flushed harder. "I see," he said, and despite his embarrassment he was secretly flattered. "You know, I don't think you'd take it so well if the situation was reversed," he pointed out, "and I had a secret stash of dirty holos."

Mara laughed as she crossed back to him. "You'd never be able to get one without me knowing."

Luke caught her arm and drew her back to stand in front of him. "Is that a challenge?"

Gently pushing his hair back from his forehead, Mara smiled, her eyes twinkling mischievously. "Sure."

Luke tugged on her waist, bring her lips down to meet his in a searing kiss. Mara gasped against his mouth, then relaxed into his embrace, cupping his face in her hands and moving her body closer so that she was bracketed by his knees. However there was a soft thump as Mara's leg hit something hard inside his vest, and she broke away, looking down at him with wry amusement.

"I'd make a lightsaber joke," she said. "But it seems rather obvious."

"Ah." Luke withdrew the statue Leia had given him from the left pocket of his vest. "I forgot about this." He put it in his pocket before going down to the ceremony the previous night, planning on presenting it to Mara during the celebrations. However when he'd seen Mara dancing inside the standing stones, her movements graceful, her face flushed and luminous in the firelight, as free and happy as he'd ever seen her, he'd quite forgot about anything else.

"And why do you have it?" Mara's voice was all warm amusement.

"Leia," Luke said by way of explanation, holding the idol out to her. "It's the Great Mother...a fertility statue."

Mara raised a wry eyebrow and took it from him. "I see."

"I didn't say anything to her," Luke defended himself, but he could tell by Mara's expression that she wasn't mad, just bemused. She traced the face of the statue, examining the intricate carvings and stopping at the rounded belly.

"How is a statue going to have any influence?" Mara asked with clear scepticism. "It's just wood, Luke. Designed for tourists and over-anxious sisters-in-law."

Luke closed his hand over Mara's around the statue's belly, and he leaned down to kiss the outside of her wrist. "Apparently there those who believe the Great Mother was a Celestial," he told her, relaying the discussion he'd had with a theology professor at the Galleria the previous day when he'd asked about the stained glass in the Galleria. "They think she was responsible for the seeding of Alderaan with human life."

"And?"

"And the ways of the Force are mysterious," Luke told her with a grin, knowing that she'd felt so too only a few hours previous.

"Well." Mara studied the statue for a few more moments, and then placed it gently on the bedside table, next to her holos and spare blaster. When she turned back to Luke she was wearing a broad smile, and she cupped his face him her hands, leaning down to kiss him and murmur soft words against his mouth.

"Let's see how mysterious it really is."

AzureAngel2, Gemma and Nyota's Heart like this.
  10. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Oh, that was so much fun! I love the idea of Mara snapping holos of Luke.

AzureAngel2, Gemma and JadeLotus like this.
  11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Enjoyed Winter and Mara's talk, and Winter's details of the legends. I liked seeing Mara getting caught up in the moment of the dance, without being self-conscious. :)

But this:

As they joined together in the forest there was no need for words. Their bond in the Force solidified and expanded, and Mara was bombarded with the sensations of the forest around them, as if they were connecting to the surrounding life. They were the lifeblood of the orowood tree and the whisper of the midnight wind. They were the moon above and the earth below; they were the Force itself, life renewing itself through them and with them.

But most of all, they were each other.

OK, now that I've stopped melting!

Sweet and gorgeous post full of symbolism and L/M deliciousness, especially the part about the holos!

=D=

12. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    ...Cross-posting my review...sorry not sorry! :p

I love the...earthy (for lack of a better word) feel of this second chapter. The world building is simply wonderful and astonishing. There was something so primal and beautiful about the rituals, and I loved the description of Mara's dress. "Queen" Leia made me shout with glee. And I love that Luke just couldn't help himself. Another fine addition to the series!

13. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    Ayyyyyyyye. [face_love]

*PTERODACTYL SCREECH*

I KNOW WHERE THIS CAME FROM AND WE ARE ALL TRASH LOL [face_rofl][face_mischief] [face_rofl]

But seriously though, this section was gorgeous and, um, well, hawt. :p I didn't mind the exposition from Winter; it didn't feel forced or overly wordy. And now I have a mental image of Tycho as Ant Man, BWAH. [face_laugh]

Yaaaaaasssssss, Leia can sing...just, not in the Holiday Special pls. :p But yes. :D

Mmmhmm, lovin' everything about this.

[​IMG]

14. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999
    I...I honestly don't know how I failed to pick up on this!

I...

I am ashamed.

(but YES.)

15. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005

Thank you! Mara's private holo collection is actually a concept of @taramidala's that I couldn't resist including ;)

Dancing's one of the few things which has always been freeing for Mara, even back in her cautious Emperor's Hand days, so it's nice to give her a moment of release.

Thank you! Luke and Mara don't get to spend much time together, so when they do they have to make it count.

Yes, I wanted to subvert the image of Alderaan as only this uber-civilized and serious society by balancing it with a more primal aspect of their culture with their own creation myths and spirituality. And you know I get inspired by all the fashion pics on your Tumblr - I just want everyone to wear beautiful dresses all the time :p

And Leia is totally a Queen! @};-

AzureAngel2 and Gemma like this.
  16. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999
    You sold me out, you wench! :p

I'll see what I can do. [face_laugh]

17. Annia Piet

Annia Piet Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 7, 2015
    I love the vision of Alderaanian culture you've created here, and of the rebuilding of that culture. The contrast of the two parts of the celebration is just perfect. And I love the way both Leia and Winter are so deeply involved in their new home world's cultural life. This is all going in my personal head-cannon!

And I love the tale you're enveloping here of Luke and Mara's continuing developing relationship in their first year of marriage, especially Mara's feelings about her new 'inherited' friends. It all feels just right for this point in their lives.

18. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    This was a beautiful chapter -- loved the snark (as always) that doesn't detract from the strong emotional resonance and truly majestic imagery. Absolutely love the idea of an Alderaanian masquerade with spiritual significance and the way that Leia is identified as Queen of Alderaan by the remnants for the purposes of this celebration is so poignant. I suppose if things hadn't happened, it's likely that she would have been and Breha would have been there to see it. :( So many missed opportunities and hopes.

The secret of Mara's holo stash is both funny and a little bittersweet. All those years...

Still, now they have each other and some furball pets and hypothetical offspring that they hope are on the way. :)

19. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    I adored the description of Mara's dress and the glowing parts - nice touch and Luke's cuff-links. The thing about the holos was precious.

20. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    "Leia," Luke said by way of explanation, holding the idol out to her. "It's the Great Mother...a fertility statue."

Mara raised a wry eyebrow and took it from him. "I see."

"I didn't say anything to her," Luke defended himself, but he could tell by Mara's expression that she wasn't mad, just bemused. She traced the face of the statue, examining the intricate carvings and stopping at the rounded belly.

"How is a statue going to have any influence?" Mara asked with clear scepticism. "It's just wood, Luke. Designed for tourists and over-anxious sisters-in-law."

Luke closed his hand over Mara's around the statue's belly, and he leaned down to kiss the outside of her wrist. "Apparently there those who believe the Great Mother was a Celestial," he told her, relaying the discussion he'd had with a theology professor at the Galleria the previous day when he'd asked about the stained glass in the Galleria. "They think she was responsible for the seeding of Alderaan with human life."

"And?"

"And the ways of the Force are mysterious," Luke told her with a grin, knowing that she'd felt so too only a few hours previous.

"Well." Mara studied the statue for a few more moments, and then placed it gently on the bedside table, next to her holos and spare blaster. When she turned back to Luke she was wearing a broad smile, and she cupped his face him her hands, leaning down to kiss him and murmur soft words against his mouth.

"Let's see how mysterious it really is."

That was done beautifully! I almost forgot about this story. Shame on me. You create such a nice religious and spiritual background here for Alderaan and its human inhabitants.

JadeLotus and Kahara like this.
  21. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005

Thank you! I wish we'd seen more of New Alderaan in Legends (the Dark Empire comic did not make it look like a nice place to live, so I discounted that and went with my own ideas). I think it would take a while for Luke and Mara to get used to married life, especially since at this point they don't get to spend much time together, which causes friction as well as happiness.

Many thanks! I always thought is was strange Leia was still referred to as a Princess, when really she should have inherited the title of Queen among the remaining Alderaanian people (although I think this is changing in the new canon). Leia remembering her heritage and Breha and Bail is very important to me, so I enjoyed exploring that here.

They are really starting to become a family - although it would hardly be a long form fic by me unless there was some angst to be found...

Thanks! I really wish I could draw so I could provide visual references for Mara's dress - it's really beautiful in my head but I've been unable to find a photographic reference for it.

Thank you! It took me a long time to create all the details for the ceremony (which is why it took me so long to update), but I'm really happy with it - I just love mythology.

22. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Me, too. I bet this is why SW works on us so well. GL made a lot of research when he invented this story.

23. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005
    @AzureAngel2 - I think so! Star Wars is the ultimate hero myth (although I really need to get my hands on the Joseph Campbell works one of these days...)​
    _______________________________________________​
    Chrysalis (1/5)
    Focus had never been one of Mara Jade’s strengths. Of course, she valued precision and efficiency in everything she did. But even as the Emperor’s Hand she had never single-mindedly pursued a goal that she lost sight of the bigger picture and surrounding circumstances.

It was what had made her such an accomplished assassin, that ability to assess and adapt to the situation. It was also what had resulted in her one failure in that role - to kill Luke Skywalker. Had she been intent only on completing that task she would have shot his X-Wing out of the sky the moment she’d felt him floating in hyperspace - or not even that, she would have spent those five years after Endor ruthlessly tracking him down heedless of her own safety. It would have been a suicide mission, and Mara was always grateful and pleased with that particular negligence.
    Since then Mara had seen this lack of focus not as a weakness, but a strength which resulted in her highly-tuned danger sense, her periphery awareness and her adaptability. However the flipside was she found it difficult to hone her senses when required, to manipulate small objects which required narrowed attention, or to block out all senses but one to discern a particular sight, sound or thought. It was why she had always struggled with meditation, despite Luke’s patience in teaching her. She simply did not like the sensation of looking inward, to block out the world around her and concentrate with singular focus. Mara felt it left her vulnerable, despite Luke’s insistence that such feelings were the point, and she needed to leave herself open to the Force if it ever was to speak to her.
    But as she sat cross-legged on the bed in her rented apartment, for once her focus was tightly honed on a single object. She blocked out all other thoughts - her mission to the planet Kaurna set to begin the next morning, the notes she still needed to peruse, making the final preparations to the Sabre. But for the moment all of her attention was fixed on the small device sitting before her on the bed, blinking blue as it evaluated the blood sample she’d smeared on the testing pad.
    The wait was interminable. The blood from her pricked finger had congealed, stopping the flow without the need for a plaster. All Mara could do was sit there with her eyes fixed, unblinking, watching for the flashing light to stabilise and change colour. Red would mean nothing - green would mean she was pregnant.
    All other thoughts and sounds had been pushed out of her mind, even her Force sense narrowed to the small device and the blinking light which seemed to taunt her, as if it was having difficulty deciding whether of not her life should be changed irrevocably. Mara was about to snap and throw the device across the room in frustration when the blinking increased in frequency. Mara leaned forward with anticipation, her heart racing and her breathing stilled as the device beeped a final time and the light changed colour.
    It was red. Negative.
    Unexpected relief flooded her as Mara let out her held breath, her eyes rolling skyward as she blinked rapidly. Confusion at her immediate reaction soon replaced her repose, and she shifted in the bed, hugging her knees to her chest.
    Wasn’t a child what she’d wanted? Hadn’t she made the decision six month previous during the Midwinter festival to relinquish control over the issue, and let nature take its course? Surely she would not have made that decision unless she was prepared for the consequences. And the fertility ceremony on New Alderaan a few weeks previous, hadn’t she been secretly hoping it had been successful despite her dismissal of its influence?
    It was a few minutes into her musings that Mara realised she wasn’t alone. A familiar presence in the back of her mind confirmed that her husband was nearby, in fact just in the next room.
    Luke had always been keen on adventure, and while he loved his Academy and students on Yavin, Mara knew he grew restless if he stayed in one place too long. Since they’d been married their time together had been far too infrequent, so when they hadn’t been able to line up a gap in both their schedules she’d invited him to accompany her on her mission to Kauna. But she hadn’t been expecting him to arrive until later that day, and had hoped to have good new for him. The fact that she didn’t wasn’t what worried her - it was the uncertainty of how long he’d been there, and how much he had sensed.
    Taking in a deep breath, Mara crossed the small bedroom and went out into the living room of the rented apartment. Luke was sitting on the couch, outwardly looking very relaxed. His arms were resting casually against the back of the couch cushions, and one boot was propped up against the caf table. But beneath the calm veneer Mara saw a storm brewing in the clench of his jaw and his pursed lips; through their bond in the Force she felt an uncomfortable prickle. It was clear that he had not only sensed what she'd been doing, but he'd felt her relief at the negative test.
    But rather than be cowed, Mara steeled herself. “Luke,” she greeted him somewhat coldly. “You’re early.”
    A muscle in Luke’s jaw tensed, and through the Force his barriers became tightly fortified. Mara reinforced her own mental walls, not wanting to let anything else slip out. When he turned to her, his expression was blank.
    “Leia and Han gave me lift in the Falcon,” he said tightly. “Apparently Leia wanted to meet with the Filalli Queen to work out some kind of trade deal, anyway.”
    Filalli was the third planet in the same-named system, and the only one charted by the New Republic. It was far into the Outer Rim, and only discovered a few years previous, with both the NR government and private entities such as Karrde’s anxious to come to trading terms with the native populace for access their mineral-rich world.
    “As long as she doesn’t step on my toes,” Mara told him with some humour. “I’ve already made progress with the Queen for Karrde - I think she’s receptive to us establishing trade relations.”
    “I’m sure you both can work something out,” Luke said lightly. Something in his expression softened, and Mara knew he had decided not to address the bantha in the room. Instead, he held out his hand in invitation, and Mara crossed the room to take it. As his warm skin touched hers she felt a sense of calm permeate her, and sank down onto the couch next to him, entwining her fingers with his as Luke leaned over to kiss her cheek. “I missed you.”
    Mara rested her head against his shoulder, pushing aside her earlier thoughts and doubts and simply allowing herself to enjoy his presence. “I missed you too.”
    It was late in the afternoon when Leia came to visit her, fresh from her negotiations with the Filalli queen. Mara had let Luke go explore the city while she finished up at the apartment, but she was always happy to make time for her sister-in-law They sat together at the caf table sipping rootgrass tea at Leia’s request, and Mara used the opportunity to grill her about the trade deal.
    “They are anxious to preserve their sacred sites, as you know,” Leia was telling her. “But I believe they are receptive to a New Republic mining operation that is overseen by their Elders to ensure it complies with their cultural laws.”
    “A mine?” Mara was surprised. Since Karrde didn’t have the funds or manpower for such an operation, her agreement with the Filalli had been that they would purchase raw product acquired through the efforts of their own people.
    “Yes,” Leia nodded. “It will provide significant local employment and prosperity, as well as provide us with quantities of mineral to make the operation worthwhile.” Leia must have seen Mara’s expression sour, because she quickly patted her hand in reassurance. “Of course this would be in concert with Karrde’s organisation, Mara. I’m well aware this project is only possible due to your efforts here.”
    Mara was somewhat mollified, but not exactly happy that the victory was being somewhat taken away from her. “Alright, I’ll talk to Karde about it,” she said, taking a sip of her tea and eyeing Leia over her cup. She made a face at the reedy taste, and put the cup back in its saucer. “As long as you leave Kauna alone - it’s taken a long time and numerous incentives for the Queen to tell me about the planet, and I don’t want the Republic muscling in on that as well.”
    “Of course,” Leia smiled in acquiescence. “How much have you been able to find out?”
    Mara shrugged; although she trusted Leia’s word she had no faith in other NR representatives who would throw her over with little incentive. “Not much,” she said cautiously. “Just the coordinates and that it’s a mineral-rich world. I’ve been given a contact in one of the local tribes, so that’s a start.”
    “I know Luke is looking forward to accompanying you,” Leia said as she took another sip of her tea. Mara nodded and forced a smile, although her heart tightened somewhat. There were no hyperspace routes within the system, so it would take a day or so for them to reach Kauna, the next planet over, at top speed. When they’d planned the trip it had seemed like a luxury - a day on the Sabre there and back, and another on the planet making first contact and hopefully arranging for further negotiations. However their relationship had felt somewhat strained since what had happened that morning, and now Mara was almost dreading being in close quarters with that unspoken friction between them.
    “How are you, Mara?” Leia asked, placing her soft hand over Mara's and squeezing lightly. “You seem out of sorts.”
    Inwardly, Mara cursed the Skywalker intuition. “I’m fine,” she lied, knowing she did not fool Leia for a second.
    “I don’t want to pry,” Leia responded in a tone that left little doubt that was exactly what she wanted to do. “But of course you know you can tell me anything in confidence-”
    “I’m not pregnant,” Mara replied shortly, withdrawing her hand from Leia’s soft grip. She had felt through their ever growing sisterly bond what was on Leia’s mind, and Mara had tightened her own barriers so not to let her own thoughts slip.
    “Oh.” Leia looked disappointed, and took another deep sip of her tea before placing the cup back carefully onto the saucer. “I thought...I thought you might be. Because I am.”
    What?” Very little ever surprised Mara, but she looked at Leia wide-eyed and in shock. “You’re…”
    “I’m going to have a baby,” Leia said, but through her smile the look she gave Mara was sad and guilty.
    “Oh,” Mara said somewhat numbly. “Congratulations.”
    “I was sure that you were going to be as well,” Leia added, looking away anxiously. “I thought...the ritual on New Alderaan last month. I was hoping so much it would work for you - perhaps my longing backfired.” Her brows came together as Leia grew pensive. “The Queen’s role is meant to be a conduit only,” she added, almost to herself. “That’s why my mother believed it never worked for her.”
    Mara rolled her eyes. “Or conception is about compatibility and timing,” she said stiffly. “And not some mystical being.” She regretted the words as Leia looked back at her somewhat wounded. Mara sighed and rubbed her forehead with agitation and guilt - she should know better than to insult the lost culture Leia had been trying to desperately to keep alive.
    “Are you happy?” she asked instead of apologising.
    Leia let out a deep sigh. “It certainly wasn’t planned, and four children? Han’s halfway to his smashball team.” Her face cracked into a wide smile, her joy radiating through the Force. “But yes, I’m so happy I don’t remember what it’s like to feel otherwise.”
    Leia’s exhilaration was infectious, and Mara found her spirits lifting somewhat. Although she could also feel a weight settling in her own heart, and found that disappointment reflected back in Leia.
    “But?” Mara prompted.
    “But…” Leia shrugged. “I was looking forward to us being pregnant together.”
    Mara squashed down the hurt at Leia’s words, since she knew her sister in law had not meant to offend, and would have no idea the mixed emotions Mara was experiencing. Still, the weight in her heart took root, so that it could not be easily shaken off.
    “It will happen, Mara,” Leia assured her, placing a soft hand on her shoulder. “I know it.”
    She allowed Leia to take her into a tight embrace, sharing her joy and certainty that one day soon they would raise their children together, a true family as close and loving as anyone could wish for. Mara felt Leia’s healing touch through the Force, lightening her mood and lessening the sadness in her heart, even if it could not quite be dislodged.
    Mara only wished she had her confidence.

Kahara, Gemma and Annia Piet like this.
  24. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999
    Girl, I swear if this doesn't go AU and you make us sit through six years of them not having a baby, I'm gonna... :_|

Just kidding. Oh, boy this is gonna be a doozy, though. Poor Luke. Poor Mara! Lovely descriptive moments as always, all around.

25. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    DUUUUUUUUUUUUDE, LEIA. Wow, I did not see that coming, LOL. Han, you scoundrel! [face_mischief]:p

I know there's gonna be a happy ending for these dorks eventually, but in the meantime...*sigh* [face_waiting][face_worried]:_|