main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"A young Jedi named Darth Vader."

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by BobaFrank, Jul 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    Why did Obiwan refer to DV as a Jedi? With the name Darth wouldn't that have made him a Sith?

2. -LHS-The_Pope

-LHS-The_Pope Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2003
    Considering that this was before the plans for the rest of the movies, no, no it wouldn't. Darth was just his first name.

3. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    The way I see it, Jedi were a myth of sorts. The Old Order was probably shrouded in mystery by Palpatine, in hopes of it never resurfacing through Force-sensitives who wish to combat the Empire with the Force. I think all Force-users were known by the most of the galaxy as "Jedi", while "Sith" was a term known only by Palpatine, Anakin, Yoda, and Obi-Wan.

To make it easier for Luke to understand he probably just used a term he would be familiar with.

EDIT: This is also evidenced by Tarkin claiming Vader was all that was left of the Jedi's religion. Normal people probably have no clue what a Sith is and never WILL know.

4. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Luke didn't know that Darth = Sith. Remember, he didn't even know what the Force was, or who the Jedi were.

5. Maulfly

Maulfly Moderator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Exactly, and if you didn't want Luke to go into a tirade of questions, which he was apt to do in his farmboy days, you keep it simple. ;)

6. Esperanza_Nueva

Esperanza_Nueva Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 23, 2003
    also remember (this may be a bit far-fetched) that in TPM Qui-Gon [speaking of Maul] says that "he is highly trained in the jedi arts" .. i take this to mean that anyone who uses the force etc. is a jedi.. but evil jedi are more specifically known as sith

7. MyEternalRest

MyEternalRest Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 24, 2002
    I thought that the 'jedi arts' comment was referring to his light saber ability. Since no one else in the galaxy uses sabers.

Perhaps Ben was hoping that as Luke trained he would figure it out for himself. So he dropped hints here in there. It sure would've come with less a shock if he figured it out himself than to have it revealed by a person that, to him, embodied evil.

8. Ariana Lang

Ariana Lang Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 10, 1999
    Well what was he supposed to say? He was lying through his teeth anyway about Darth Vader -- there was no way he could call Vader by his real name because his real name is, of course, Anakin Skywalker, who Darth Vader supposedly "killed."

9. Maulfly

Maulfly Moderator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    LOL...if he had called Vader "Anakin Skywalker" the whole rest of the movie would've been Luke (in that special whiny voice) asking about this Anakin Skywalker who is Vader. I don't think even Obi could've taken that. ;)

10. Z-Fett

Z-Fett Jedi Youngling

Jul 6, 2003
    I believe that he told luke that "Darth Vader" killed his father because it would increase Luke's hate for Vader. The only reason that Obi-wan and yoda trained luke was to kill vader. They did not believe he could be turned back to the lightside.

11. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    Well what was he supposed to say? He was lying through his teeth anyway about Darth Vader

[[Nobody was suggesting that. I only asked why Darth was referred to as a Jedi.]]

12. Kingpin

Kingpin Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 21, 2002
    At the time Ben was talking to him Luke only just found out what the force was and that jedi use it, therefore to Luke Darth Vader being a Jedi meant that someone with the abilities of a jedi killed his father, information about Darths and so on probably came later in Luke's instruction.

13. Darth-Schwartz

Darth-Schwartz Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    george didn't know that star wars was going to be a hit so he made vader just a bad guy for luke to beat at the end.

14. ForceHeretic

ForceHeretic Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    I think it just stems from the "certain point of view" thing

15. ForceHeretic

Dec 8, 2002

16. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    Just a note, "Sith" was the word describing Vader in the original script ("Dark Lord of the Sith" specifically). So it wasn't just that the word hadn't been coined. I think it was just a shorthand way of saying "Force user" (Tarkin uses it the same way later), and since Luke already knew what a Jedi was, it was easier than explaining a new term. Plus, Vader originally was a Jedi. And, as mentioned, originally DV and Anakin were two different characters, and "Darth" wasn't a title, but the actual first name of Obi-Wan's apprentice. So he was still called "Darth Vader" when he was a Jedi.

17. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    In universe-Luke wouldn't have known about the titles so he just told him

18. plutoneam

plutoneam Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 21, 2003
    When someone turns to the darkside, they change their first name to Darth.

Wouldn't that explain everything? Aren't I clever? :D

19. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Not really, since only someone who survives the training to be a Sith Lord can only call themselves "Darth".

20. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    And yet we have Darth Maul, Darth Vader, and Darth Tyranus, all of whom were still apprentices and continuing their training.

21. Jade's Fire2003

Jade's Fire2003 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 12, 1999

I agree. Obi-Wan wasn't lying through his teeth, but was telling Luke the pieces of the truth he thought Luke was able to handle at that time. It's not exactly a great conversation starter to say, "Well, Luke, your father turned evil and is responsible for the murder of millions of people in the galaxy..." Vader at one point was a Jedi for the Light Side of the Force, and was killed; the persona of Anakin Skywalker was believed to have died when he became Vader, he was as lost to Yoda and Obi-Wan as a dead man anyway.

22. ForceHeretic

Dec 8, 2002
    Exactly, Obi-wan considers Anakin to have died years ago. To him it was Darth Vader, NOT Anakin, that killed all the Jedi

23. Joey-WanKenobi

Joey-WanKenobi Jedi Master star 2

Jan 7, 2002
    He was just giving Luke the quick version of the story.

"A young Jedi...well, actually and ex-jedi...technically he was what we called a Sith Lord. You see the Sith and the Jedi had a big war with the Jedi about 4,000 years ago and..."

see what I mean

24. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    They were Sith Apprentices. They survived many trials to get that far. They were technically Sith Lords. Just not the masters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.