Amph A Zombie-Dog-Jumpkickin' Good Time: RE, Apocalypse,Extinction, Afterlife,Retribution & Final Chapter

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest, Feb 21, 2007.

1. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Trailer for Resident Evil: Extinction is up online. Caught the trailer with Ghost Rider the other night, and was pleasantly surprised by this teaser because I had no idea what movie it wasup until the Umbrella Corp logo pops up.

I'm looking forward to this as I've enjoyed the series quite a bit (though I'm not really had the chance to play the games- couldn't really figure out the Resident Evil remake on GCN (though it creeped the hell outta me- can't play it at night!) and RE4 remains among my huge collection of unplayed games I'm backlogged on), though the films are obviously not good horror or zombie movies, they are, however, pretty decent B-movie action movies that just happen to feature zombies.

I like that they mix of the feel of each film so there's something different to them, which helps avoid the sequels feeling redundant. The first film went with the Aliens/HAL-9000 approach, while Apocalypse had that anime-esque "chick with guns and sword kicks ass" change and, now, Extinction seems to be throwing some western/Road Warrior/Rpbert Rodriguez influences into the mix. I'm curious as to what they'll do in Resident Evil 4 (which I believe I read they may have filmed at the same time as Extinction, or at least back-to-back with it as it's supposed to come out relatively soon after Extinction's release).
  2. Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus

star 6
    from what i heard Extinction is the last one and they scrapped RE4
  3. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Curious- there were casting rumors for RE4 (I think the rumored title was RE3's previously given title of "Afterlife") as recently as last fall, I believe. Could just be Sony trying to amp up the take- if REE does well enough, I'm sure they'll squeeze out a 4th like they've apparently intended (I believe word was it would be set in Japan).
  4. Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus

star 6
    personally i'm not a big fan of the movies. i'll watch them if it's on tv or if a friend has it. i wish it was closer to the games or novels.
  5. Sn4tcH Force Ghost

star 4
    Yup.

I'll be honest, I enjoyed the first one. But the second one was awful. But this is coming from a pretty huge fan of the games and books. And we tend to crucify anything that isn't accurate. But Nemesis was really cheesy in RE:A.

As for 3, I really shouldn't, but I can't help but give it another shot.
  6. Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus

star 6
    i wish they'd put the tyrant in the movies.
  7. Sn4tcH Force Ghost

star 4
    I would much rather have seen Mr. X than Nemesis.
  8. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Finally got around to watching Extinction (had missed it in theaters waiting for a friend's schedule to lineup with mine to catch a showing, which is usually not a mistake I make because of such an outcome; then misplaced my DVD between my store and home, finally found it).

And, while it has the least amount of anything to do with the games, I thought it was easily the best of the three so far. The Vegas assault and tanker scenes were very cool and the cast overall was entertaining (can't go wrong with Oded Fehr- ok, maybe you can, but he's still cool). It takes a bit of a super-hero twist to things towards the end with the creature shown down which is a tad odd (thoguh, ironically, is probably the main element most similar to the games shy the super-powers).

The music was quite good too, I hope some of the core tracks are on the soundtrack...

There were two small moments with Alice I really liked late in the movie- the "your sister was a homicidal bitch" line, and her expression after the computer wishes her luck.

Also, I'm not sure why they were saying this was definitely the last RE movie (for reasons other than box office performance)- the movie's end definitely sets up the Japan setting for a final conclusion story with the company and the army of Alice clones.

There's also some pretty good deleted scenes on the DVD- one expands on the "Alice actively avoiding/tracking satilite surveilance" and another pai add some nice character moments in for the infected black guy. there's a few others too, but those ones stood out. And I swear the one in the lab with the hologram girl uses The Next Generation's door chime sound effect.

EDIT- looks like I was right, and they are looking into doing Afterlife. According to the wiki entry:

On July 1, 2008, Paul Anderson announced a fourth live action film is in early development stages and negotiations have begun with Sony.[47] On October 5, 2008 Paul Anderson stated in an interview with Sunday Sun, he may begin writing the script soon: "I'm writing an adaptation of The Long Good Friday right now, set in present-day Miami. Then I will probably begin writing Resident Evil 4."
  9. Anakin_Skywalker20 Force Ghost

star 5
    I didn't know there was going to be another. I dunno. I mean...I admit I am not into the zombie type genre.
  10. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Fourth film being readied.

The first script draft of Paul W.S. Anderson's fourth installment in the "Resident Evil" series is in with the second now underway reports Arrow in the Head.

At present the filmmakers are trying to get Milla Jovovich to reprise her role as Alice, as well a director so that other casting can get underway. AS with the other two sequels, Anderson will NOT be helming this installment.

The story is expected shift to Tokyo along with Alaska (though those scenes will be shot in Toronto). The tone will be dark and more like that of the film's weakest entry - "Resident Evil: Apocalypse". A martial arts choreographer is also required for numerous fist fights.
  11. goraq Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Seriously, 3 movies is more than enotgh for a videogame adaptation.
  12. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    It's not really an adaptation at this point- it's kinda become it's own thing, and the ending of #3 set up the next (presumably final) film as a resolution to the new story.
  13. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Afterlife begins production.

Screen Gems and Constantin Film announced today that production has kicked off in Toronto on "Resident Evil: Afterlife", the next and fourth installment in the successful film franchise.

Actress Milla Jovovich returns as the zombie-fighting heroine Alice. Ali Larter reprises her role as Claire Redfield from Resident Evil: Extinction. Spencer Locke, who played K-Mart in "Extinction," is also set to return.

New to the film franchise is leading man Wentworth Miller, who has signed on as Chris Redfield ? Claire's brother and a popular character from the game series. Shawn Roberts will take over the role of Alice's nemesis Wesker. Boris Kodjoe and Kim Coates have also been cast.

Filmmaker Paul W. S. Anderson is back as writer, director and producer. Anderson wrote, produced and directed the first Resident Evil (2002) and wrote and produced the sequels, Resident Evil: Apocalypse (2004) and "Extinction" (2007).

Producing alongside Anderson are the same creative minds from the three previous films: Anderson's longterm producing partner Jeremy Bolt, Constantin Film's Bernd Eichinger (writer and producer of the Oscar®-nominated films The Baader Meinhof Complex and Downfall) and Robert Kulzer, and Samuel Hadida. Rounding out the "Afterlife" producing team is Don Carmody, also a producer on "Apocalypse." Martin Moszkowicz and Victor Hadida are again executive producing.

"Afterlife" is expected to hit U.S. theatres in fall 2010 and throughout the rest of the word in the following months.
  14. Jedi Vince Jedi Master

star 3
    I LOVE the Resident Evil films -- pure unpretentious butt-kicking action. The films are also the purest example of true grindhouse filmmaking.

Another thing that's so great about these films is each has such a unique look: the antiseptic lab, the gritty urban warfare terrain, and the washed-out desert landscapes.
  15. Kol_Skywalker Jedi Master

star 4
    Ironic to see this thread upped, as only a few days ago I watched all three movies. Glad to see that the yummy Ali Larter is going to be in the next film! :)
  16. jediknightleia Force Ghost

star 2
    I love these movies! I love Ali Larter, I'm glad she's back but Wentworth Miller I'm not so sure about his acting.
  17. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Afterlife trailer is online!

It's weird- despite the announcements last year, it feels weird/surprising to be having this movie come out son soon.

Trailer looks great (though, admittedly, the choice of excellent music could be influencing me somewhat ;))- though they have way too many "things being thrown at the camera" 3D gimmick shots, and they are shamelessly cashing in on Cameron's name (though I suppose we should appreciate a film that distinguishes a 3D film as being "the good kind", versus a Clash of the Titans 2D conversion).
  18. Koohii Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I thought the first one sucked. Uninteresting video game adaptation equal to Uwe Boll's crafting skill.

Saw that Russel Mulcahy (Highlander, The Shadow) directed #3, so I sat through #2 in case there was something there to watch. There wasn't.
    Better than the first one, but that's not saying much. Milla Jonovich is the anchor weighing down this mostly mindless action flick. Good for popcorn and beer night. I have to say that the second worst part of this movie was the fight choreography with the giant monster. Rather than employ or make use of any real fight talent, the director chose to rely on rapid cuts and jerky camera movement. I suppose if you have no talent or budget, it works, but after all the build up, it felt pretty weak.

How do you rescue a franchise after two horrible first movies? Simple: write a new script that completely ignores everything that happened in the first two. It's like they started with a clean slate, started from scratch, and kept only one actor for continuity sake. I would argue that Milla Jovovich is probablly the weakest actor from the movies, but she has more or less established herself in the iconic role. It seems though that the budget is lacking. Make-up effects are good, but the CGI is mostly weak. Only for the transitional effects does it seem to be OK, but not great. Story is a little lacking to the point of getting boring. Post-apocolyptic doomsday desert has already been done to death. How about a P-A Doomsday set in a forest or national park? You know, for variety? The direction and tone are a bit more interesting than the first two movies--I wasn't groaning, and very little shakey-cam to induce motion sickness
  19. Jedimarine Force Ghost

star 5
    OK...watched the trailer.

It looks like somebody took the trailer for "Ultraviolet" and turned the color scheme black&white.

Did they even show a "zombie" in the trailer at all?

That's one of the things that this series has lost...it's moved away from the plague as a plot element, and more as a setting...btw, there are zombies around.

I am astonished at how they persist in the same manner despite previous returns...I would think a new direction, perhaps more serious, true to source, not so over the top, would be the obvious way forward, if there was any way forward.

Goes to show, if you have friends with deep pockets who like what you do, it doesn't matter if you lose them money...which is essentially what Anderson has here.

I wouldn't be surprised if they go 5 or 6...as long as they keep getting their leading lady back. Man, there was a time she had a chance of being legit.

I guess I'll clutch my copy of "The Messenger" and weep a bit.
  20. Koohii Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    "The Messenger"? You're kidding, right? Please don't tell me you actually paid good money for that.
  21. Jedimarine Force Ghost

star 5
    Yep...I happily dropped a 5 spot to save it from the bargain bin.

It's not on any favorites lists...but it's good for a scene or two.
  22. Koohii Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    <sigh> If you keep buying garbage like that, they'll keep making it...
  23. Jedimarine Force Ghost

star 5
    Oh come on, just to see people clang around in armor made it worth the cost.

And it completes my Luc Besson Trilogy: "The Professional", "The Fifth Element", "The Messenger".

And besides...as I said above in this thread...they don't need my money...it's obvious that Artists can have benefactors even when no one else wants what they make.

As long as Michael Bay gets to keep making trash, I'll never fear bottoming out on taste with what I put money toward.
  24. Koohii Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    If you say so. Only scene I liked in Messenger was the alternate explanations for how the sword might have arrived in the field. That was funny. The rest... I've seen better combat sequences at RenFaire and SCA.

Now, getting back to Resident Evil...
    If Russel Mulcahy can't save your series, it's time to pack it in. Or just start over.
  25. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    The trailer had one scene with zombies when she's running away from them behind her by jumping off the roof.

I'm fairly certain this will be the last installment- remember that they almost decided to end the series with the 3rd film (despite announcing 3 & 4 at the same time), and only later reverted back to the 4th film conclusion.

I've still enjoyed it as a fun B-movie series and look forward to this final one. Hopefully the next trailer will be better (this is essentially the teaser trailer, replacing the past clever teasers (the perfume ad, the vegas ad, etc) with one advertising the 3D instead).