main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

aaaahhhh the irony.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by ChosenOne314, Nov 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChosenOne314

ChosenOne314 Jedi Youngling

Oct 29, 2009
    I always thought it was interesting (and ironic) that in ROTS Anakin tells Padme that he is more powerful than the Chancellor, he can "overthrow him"... And in ROTJ he literally does throw him OVER a railing to his death. lolol.

Another example: AOTC Obi-Wan to Anakin: "Why do I get the feeling you're going to be the death of me." ...ANH Anakin/Vader does infact kill him lol... 'nuf said.

Anything you can think of? I love stuff like this.

2. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    AOTC Anakin to Padme: The thought of not being with you... I can't breathe!

3. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Palpatine tells Anakin: "...it's perfectly natural-he cut off your arm, you wanted revenge."

In the same way, Luke gets "revenge" in ROTJ for his hand being cut off...

4. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    R2 says "BLEEP BLOOP BLEEP" when little Anakin tells him to shut off the auto-pilot on the Naboo fighter, and "BLEEP BLOOP BLEEP" when he asks Luke if he wants him (R2) to take over the X-Wing's controls on the way to Dagobah.

Uncanny!

5. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Oh very ironic. And subtle to boot. Only thing missing was a band in the background playing the Imperial March dressed in Darth Vader suits.

6. TOSCHESTATION

TOSCHESTATION Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003

[face_laugh]

7. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    If you want to go with the secondary definition-- Incongruity between what might be expected and what actually occurs--the most blatant example would be Han's stated dread that he'd never see the Falcon again. Ironical!

Adhering to the more popular usage, though, I'd say my favorite instance of irony would be Anakin's two-and-a-half film spanning obsession with maternal comfort culminating with him being entombed within something that couldn't be more far removed from the womb. Deliciously ironical!

8. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I agree... the irony here always gives me chills. [face_laugh]

9. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    The PT is replete with little nods to the OT. It's not irony, it's planned.

10. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Can't we have a thread to celebrate something about Star Wars without people coming in to bash?

That would actually be ironic, because it's not what we have come to expect from this forum.

11. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Anakin is a rebel without a cause who seals the deal with a space hottie. Luke is a whiny hayseed who makes out with his sister.

12. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Ironic things can be planned, on purpose, to be ironic.

Not sure if I'm being included there... it wasn't my intention to bash, I just thought the R2-D2 joke was funny. I actually agree about the cool in-jokes, ironies, and self-references within Star Wars.

13. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    I am incapable of bashing, since I love the PT only slightly less than I love the OT.

But that doesn't mean I can't have fun with/poke fun at both trilogies.

14. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    About as ironic as having an in-depth discussion thread which doesn't assume everything GL says is absolute truth, without you barging in repeatedly to contribute nothing more than that you just don't think he's lying.

Actually that wouldn't be ironic, it would be impossible.

15. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    So you'd like a thread where the notion that Lucas might not be lying is not allowed?

16. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    No, merely one where the notion that he could be lying/exaggerating/mistaken can be entertained & discussed in a rational, logical fashion, & where repeated hijacking with irrational, snotty, & stirring remarks, backed up with nothing more than "I don't think he's lying", isn't tolerated.

17. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    I think it's groovy that the Darth Plagueis chronicle cum lure encapsulates Palpatine's fate. He uses the Force to create the Empire, saves Anakin from death, and is subsequently killed in his "sleep" (practically forced into said position by Vader).

18. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Exactly... this sums it up for me too.

19. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Whoa! Hittin' it hard with the double-negatives!!! LOL My brain just exploded!! [face_laugh]

20. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Let's keep this on topic :)

21. Duragizer

Duragizer Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2009
    Isn't it ironic, don'tcha think? :p

22. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    OK, Alanis. :p

Here's another that I just caught the other day. In TPM, when they are on Tatooine with the broken down ship and Qui-Gon has hatched his plan to have Anakin race, Obi-Wan says to Qui-Gon, "What if this plan fails, Master? We could be stuck here for a very long time." Which of course is the very same planet where Obi-Wan does later spend a very long time, stuck in a sense, in exile and hiding while watching over Luke.

23. BlackIronPrison

BlackIronPrison Jedi Youngling

Jul 1, 2007
    After all the things done by Anakin (like betraying the Jedi, choking Padme, and child killing) in the hope of and cheating death and gaining a power that can only be learned "Not from a Jedi", it is then discovered that it is in fact Qui-gon Jinn that has discovered the true secret to immortality. He does this not by exerting his control or gaining more power, as Anakin has been led to think, but through compassion and non-attachment.

24. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    ^ This is true, but the distinction here is that Qui-Gon discovered a method by which a Jedi could achieve "immortality" by becoming one with the Force while still retaining their identity. It is not true immortality because they still had to "die" as far as their physical bodies ("crude matter") go before achieving this. Either way, though, this is still a process one would do for themselves. Anakin was concerned with saving someone else from dying.

25. BlackIronPrison

BlackIronPrison Jedi Youngling

Jul 1, 2007
    Sorry, I seem to of mashed up my thoughts on that one. [face_worried]

But now I'm thinking what you said is the trick. Anakin wanted physical immortality for Padme (and himself most likely), and used some selfish, i.e., Sith tactics to acquire it. Not realizing, as we the audience do, that Qui-Gon has discovered the true secret through compassion and non-attachment, i.e., Jedi ideals. With that true secret being not a physical immortality, but a spiritual immortality.

Every single thing Anakin did to gain the power to save Padme from dying put him even further and further away from ever attaining it, and ultimately put in motion the irreversible events that led straight to her very death! But I guess I'm cramming two ironies together in terms of Cosmic irony (disparity between human desires and the harsh realities of the outside world) and Situational irony (the result of an action is contrary to the desired or expected effect). Which apparently aren't really irony at all by some definitions!

He does eventually attain immortality though, through the help and compassion of Luke and I hear some believe Obi-Wan and Yoda might of helped on their end as well. Thinking that way, it doesn't really seem to have to be a process one does just for themselves. Though I do see what you mean as far as not being able to make someone else live forever. It really all seems to be a matter of perspective on that whole immortality bit! Much food for thought...[face_thinking]

Regardless, how about this: Anakin declares that he will "learn to stop people from dying!", then ultimately becomes responsible, or at least complicit, in the deaths of untold millions!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.