main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Toronto Aaaalllllmost theerrrre

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by ArtyEwok, Jun 15, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArtyEwok

ArtyEwok LFL Artist star 4 VIP

Mar 18, 1999
    I'm quivering with anticipation..

Although I will miss my friends up here greatly ( :( ) I'm super looking forward to being a little closer to the bright spot of Ontario.

I actually have some plans, too.

I'm going to be trying to get to the con near the end of August that's in Toironto, going to be staying with a friend in her apartment (yay!). I might see if I can volunteer, but if not.. I'll be there for at least one of the days.

So... ANyone care to meet? I'll be moving into my rez in Barrie on August 27, Toronto is just a quick park n ride away (Everything is a short distance away in Southern Ontario when you've lived in some of the more remote places on earth as I have) and so I'll be able to hang out with some Star Wars fans.. :D

Looking forward to it!

Amy

2. Cristalia

Cristalia Jedi Youngling star 3

May 15, 2000
    Yay! Another girl! One for my team!
    ...now all we have to do is outfit you with a Hello Kitty hammer, and you're set... ;)

Seriously, hang out here a bit. We usually post ahead for even the unofficial movie nights, and we'll be doing stuff at Toronto Trek. Looking forward to meeting you!

Cris~

3. TheGrandePoobah

TheGrandePoobah Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Some of our troop have a sort of boycott of that con (CNSFX/CNAnime/etc) but we'd be more than happy to meet for dinner somewhere, or you can just join us for one of our many movienights.

Looking forward to meeting you.

4. JediWarrior

JediWarrior Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 7, 2000
    Could I inquire to the boycott? Just curiouis, doubt I could make it anyways :(

5. Kenobi2

Kenobi2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Might have something to do with the belief that SFX is more of a dealers room than anything else. I agree but don't have any problem with it.

They do have interesting guests, I got to meet Chris Clairmont of X-men fame there once!

In the same way, TorontoTrek could be dubbed as a SF Television con considering most of the stuff going on is TV related. (and since I don't watch TV...)

But to put this all in the big picture, I'm going to Dragoncon as well again this year, and there's a con to put them both to shame.

Anyway, I'll be at all three one way or another :)

6. TragicLad

TragicLad Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    Yay! Another artist! One for my team!
    It will be nice to finally meet ya in person.

My own attendance at SFX will be determined by my other half. For me, I find the show has poor organization behind it, and as a strictly 'for-profit' venture (unlike Trek, Anime North or other 'by the fans for the fans' cons) I find they try and squeeze as much cash out of you while providing as little in return as possible.

But the shopping is good if you're after sci-fi/comic related stuff.

7. Cristalia

Cristalia Jedi Youngling star 3

May 15, 2000
    One of the main reasons for the boycott (at least on Sandwich's and my end) is the fact that the organizers for CN/SFX not only do their jobs poorly, but attempt to compensate for that by "trolling" the fan-run cons. One of the major execs attended one of the smaller, fan cons last year only to make trouble for the concom and attempt to subvert the guests. They also treat participants in areas such as panels and cosplay extremely poorly. So, after all that...don't quite see a reason to pay.

Cris~

8. THEREALSHMII

THEREALSHMII Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    [image=http://webhome.idirect.com/~shmi/trollsm.jpg]

Hi Arty Ewok...Hmmm... well as Tragiclad's other half would mind going to a second con this summer. This year's SFX guests include William Shatner, James Doohan and Peter Mayhew (go Chewie!) I'll post you the link for more information.

www.hobbystar.com

9. ArtyEwok

ArtyEwok LFL Artist star 4 VIP

Mar 18, 1999
    Well, I may just go for a day, then. I will be in Toronto for a week, and then UI'll be in Barrie until at least August 2002, and then spending the summer in Muskoka.

My parents have a cottage, so I'm sure once I get to know a bunch of you, a small group of people and the cottage would rock. :D

Dinner is good! I've heard wonderfyul things about a place called Apache burger.

:)

Amy

10. TopGun2001

TopGun2001 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 25, 2001

I'm with Ken on this one; SFX is definitely more dealer-oriented, but... we like Stuff. Lots and lots of Stuff. SFX is great for acquiring Stuff. (like DougLock action figures! :D )

I also love the low-key-ness of SFX's out-in-the-open guest tables, without having to line up in Trek's overheated autograph room even if you're only interested in one of the lesser-known guests. Being able to just walk-up & chit-chat with Jeremy Bulloch or Warwick Davis was much more fun than the T-Trek gulag.

Chris Clairmont's speaking-gig last-year was definitely a highlight. (Despite the fact that my now-autographed Excalibur#1 looks like it's signed by "GHKJL SJPZNMVNT". )

So, who *can* I expect at SFX this year? :} (besides Ken & CrazyMike, of course)

>Dinner is good! I've heard wonderfyul
    >things about a place called Apache burger.

Is it anything like Star Wars Burger? ;) (R.I.P.)

~ Mike likes small groups and cottages ~

11. Uilmuteiz

Uilmuteiz RSA Emeritus star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    Can't wait to see you around. But as far as SFX goes, when I heard that you had to pay for entering it was fine, then I was told you had to pay to enter the room where the guests where...okayyy.. and then you have to pay to get autographs (as usual) and it's almost if they don't ask you to pay for exiting the room.. so me and SFX don't make such great pals, plus When I was at Empirecon, I had so much more fun with the guests then at this convention...and if you can get with Peter for a while, you will understand he is a great storylteller. :D

12. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    Hi Amy and the rest of you folks out there.
    I am looking forward to meeting you all
    out there for the first time as well as the many people that I have met over the last several years. For anyone who feels like
    venturing out to Burlington sometime, please drop me a line. I have almost finished my
    Star Wars room and if you like to see new and vintage Star Wars stuff, you will have
    a blast !!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.