main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Aaron Allston has passed away.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by HEDGESMFG, Feb 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    Well that was terribly unexpected. :(

http://www.theforce.net/story/front/Author_Aaron_Allston_Has_Passed_Away_156868.asp

Reminds me a bit of the story where Patrick Troughton (of Doctor Who fame) passed on during a convention. My condolences to his loved one.

Amidst all the debates of story canon, continuity, and all of our many issues with the EU, there is no doubt that he was a great author that gave us many great tales to read, and worked very, very hard on his projects. His love of Star Wars and humorous spirit knew no bounds, and he made the legacy this board follows just that much richer.

Canon be damned, this is our greatest loss this year.

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Devastating news. Absolutely devastating.

He's had health issues in the past but it's still hard to believe. Hard to process.

3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I suddenly have mixed feelings about not reading Mercy Kill yet. I feel guilty, but at the same time, I know to savor it that much more now.

4. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    Oh my! :_|. He was the best author of the Legacy-era novels.

Revanfan1, TKT and AusStig like this.
  5. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  6. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    So sad. My thoughts are with his family and loved ones. Although I never met him, like many Star Wars authors, he always felt like someone I knew. The world is a lesser place tonight. RIP.

Revanfan1, ChildOfWinds, TKT and 3 others like this.
  7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I figured if he could survive that quadruple bypass surgery from a few years ago, he could overcome any health problem. :(

The world seems a bit less funny without him. His novels brought myself and many others great joy. My thoughts are with his close friends and family.

8. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
  9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    He was one of the most interesting and easily approachable SW VIPs -- he was always friendly and always made it easy. I had a great (but brief) convo with him about villains during C3, and I'll always remember the time that a bunch of my friends got Allston to prank call me from Dragon*Con while I was busy stressing out about my first year of school and the like. He was always up for some fun.

Revanfan1, cdgodin, Rew and 12 others like this.
  10. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
  11. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    May the Force be with you Aaron Allston.
    Your books are easily among the best of the EU. Hands down.
    Going to miss waiting for new books from you.
    Your post NJO books were the best of that era.
    Enemy Lines Duology was one of the best duologies in all of Star Wars.
    I don't want to say goodbye..........

12. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I am completely heartbroken. Such and amazing person and author. I'm going to have to wait until later to put up a better tribute because I can't see through the tears very well.

13. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    I... can't even think right now.

Mr. Allston was one of my favorite authors, not just for Star Wars, but of all time. His books defined the EU for me, more than Zahn, more than Stackpole or Stover, more than KJA, Denning or any other author. He understood what it meant to write Star Wars books, how to capture the tone, the setting the focus and crux of a story set in our beloved GFFA. His style helped inspire my own, his focus on characters and their believability and interaction, on having a sense of humor and fun about the story even in the darkest times, and about giving it a heart that resonates with the reader. Allston didn't just write books, he helped give life to a universe we all loved.

I regret and will always regret that I never got to know him personally. I would have loved to sit down with him and share just how much I relished his books, how much they resonated with me, how much I wished I could have been an author like him. I would have loved to hear from him what it was like to write stories like Wraith Squadron, who his inspiration for Ton Phanan was or where he got the ideas for Starfighters of Adumar. I would have loved to hear other stories he wanted to tell, ones that were never written down, stories about him and his life and who he knew and what he did.

Now, I'll never get the chance.

[​IMG]

Rest in peace, Aaron. We'll miss you. @};-

14. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Yub Yub Aaron Allston!

15. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    I haven't either, Coop. Needless to say, I'll be dedicating the final two reviews in my X-WIng series thread, Starfighters of Adumar and Mercy Kill, both to his memory. I only hope I manage to make it all the way through the books.

16. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Oh, really sad news. I remember hearing a bit about his health problems, but still a shock to hear he's died. :( Rest in peace.

17. Heat

Heat Jedi Master star 1

Apr 5, 2006
    Sad news. 53 is too young. RIP.

18. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    i really don't know what to say about this. his were always among my favorite SWs novels, and easily were the best of the nine book series we have. i'm incredibly sad, but at the same time i'm very glad he was a writer whose work i have much of. it means i can always go back and remember him, and be touched by his contributions to SWs and just ideas as a whole. a sad day for those of us who love this universe, even through all of it's ups and downs. a sadder day for those who loved him and any friends and family that survive him, my thoughts and prayers are with them as they deal with this trauma.

TKT likes this.
  19. Jerran Tankarri

Jerran Tankarri Jedi Padawan

Jan 9, 2013
    An absolute shock and far too young. Rest in peace.

20. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    He always struck me as a really nice guy, always down to talk and hang out with fans, and his work with Star Wars was top notch. Very sad to hear of his passing.

21. windu4

windu4 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2008
    Aw man. This is truly terrible news. Aaron Allston was a truly talented writer and one of my favorite SW novelists. His books were multifaceted and he knew how to bring the spirit of Star Wars to his books and how to breathe life into secondary characters from the movies. I've really enjoyed his work. My heart goes out to his friends and family. Here's to one of the few people who really knew what Star Wars is all about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    This is awful and unexpected news. Not sure even what to say right now. RIP.

23. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I don't know what to say. I just don't.

He was the best. Fantastic, brilliant, joyful, entertaining, soulful, hilarious books. Tremendous talent. His X-wing books are some of the best EU of all time. They're so funny, so fun, but they have such depth and power underneath all that goofiness. I don't know if I've ever seen anybody else hit that target so well. They're a huge part of my childhood, a huge part of my view of Star Wars. I'm feeling real, real grief for the death of a guy I never met.

This is the worst.

24. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Well this has come as a shock! Can't believe it :eek:

25. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    First Crispin, now this. So sad! :_|

Force Smuggler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.