main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Aaron Allston has passed away.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by HEDGESMFG, Feb 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    This -- especially the bolded part. A lot of the Star Wars I grew up with was the X-wing books, and the Allston books were a biiig part of that. Shoot, I still remember when I bought each and every one of those books: including the very first time I picked up Wraith Squadron and wondered to myself "who the heck is this Allston person? He's not Stackpole!"

But I was just excited to have a new X-wing book. And little did I know that excitement was just the tip of the iceberg when it came to reading those things.

This is the last flight of Dinner and Silly Squadron. :(

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    This is another strike against the new EU being as good as the current one. The new EU was going to have big shoes to fill but if Allston was there it might be fine. Now? Not a clue.

Danzo, Revanfan1, TKT and 2 others like this.
  3. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    :(

Believe it or not, he literally lived down the street from my parents. I debated for years whether I should try and get an autograph, but never worked up the nerve.

Now I'll never get the chance.

I'm not sure what else to say that hasn't already been said.

darth fluffy and TKT like this.
  4. Corax78

Corax78 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 2, 2008
    I never got the chance to meet Aaron in person but I had chatted with him a few times via email. No matter what he always took the time to answer my silly questions. It was because of his willingness to help me that I pitched the idea of the Get Well Project during my time at NJOE when he had the quadruple bypass.

With the approaching release of Episode VII and an uncertain future for the Star Wars EU, Aaron will always have a place in one of the greatest modern fairy tales ever told. A writer that could make you laugh or cry during any situation he was truly gifted.

May the Force be with you Aaron as you go on the next big adventure.

Rew and TKT like this.
  5. imiller

imiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2004
    I…am stunned. I’d hoped for so many things. Since I was 12 and read Wraith Squadron, Aaron Allston’s books have been a huge influence on my tastes. When I think of Star Wars, I’m much more likely to think of the universe he helped create than the films. When I think of military space opera science fiction, I think of his X-Wing books, then Starship Troopers and Ender’s Game. When I think of funny speculative fiction books, I think of him, then Terry Pratchett.

It may be the signs of a misspent youth, but I regret none of it. I will continue with my previously begun reread of all his X-Wing books (just purchased on Kindle a week ago) knowing that, for now, at least, it is a completed cycle.

And it will be sweet.

6. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I'm horrified.

Just...horrified.

He was a great author. One of my favorites.

He also seemed like a wonderful man.

My condolences to his family.

7. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    Awful, awful news. Way too young to go. I had the pleasure of meeting Aaron at a con once, and the man was friendly as can be, super supportive, and just genuinely a good guy. Really sad to hear this.

Revanfan1, TKT, Gorefiend and 3 others like this.
  8. Jainasolo101

Jainasolo101 Jedi Master star 2

Dec 23, 2007
  9. Draconarius

Draconarius Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    Heartbreaking news. Aaron Allston was and shall always be one of my very favourite authors. The X-wing series was where I started with the EU, and Wraith Squadron would have been among the first five Star Wars books I ever read. I grew up with Allston's books, and they're the reason why I think of Wedge, the Wraiths and the Rogues whenever I hear Star Wars.

We will indeed. @};-

10. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Always loved his work and even had the chance to talk to him once and have my copy of Iron Fist signed, really said that he passed away so early. :(

Revanfan1 and TKT like this.
  11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Sad news indeed. His books were nice books - it's nice to hear that he was a nice man as well.

Revanfan1, TKT and Mia Mesharad like this.
  12. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    This is terrible news.

Lost for words. Only 53... :_|

R.I.P. Aaron @};-

13. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    That's really sad :(

Man was a good writer. I only read his post NJO works, but they are really good. He will be missed, I fear we shall never see his like again.

Anyone got any picks of x-wings in missing man formation? Cause that would a very fitting tribute.

Sarge and TKT like this.
  14. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Very sad to hear the news. He sounded like a great guy.

TKT and Mia Mesharad like this.
  15. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    I loe how he was able to weave humour and reality into his novels. His writing defines the X-Wing series for me.

FelsGoddess met him and had some great stories to tell. I am very sad.

TKT likes this.
  16. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Horrible news. I remember when he had health issues a few years back. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

R.I.P. Aaron.. @};-

TKT and Mia Mesharad like this.
  17. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    This is sad beyond words. He was very, very young, and a good writer.

Rebel Stand was actually the first SW paperback I ever bought, if I am not mistaken.

Jainasolo101 and TKT like this.
  18. Juliet316

Juliet316 37X Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Crispin died?:(

19. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    Terrible news, and a shame that some of the most brilliant minds are taken away too early. He should've gotten the chance to live to a ripe old age, to be able to look back at his works and see people still appreciate them for the marvels that they are. His contributions to the EU and therefore my younger years are nothing short of amazing, and I truly regret that I never got to meet him in person and express that to him. I often think that Stackpole started and defined the X-Wing Series, and when he put down his pen Aaron picked it up and finished it to perfection. His most recent work of Mercy Kill, years after the original series ended was proof that his talent hadn't diminished and that he was still the right man for the job. No one else could've done it like he did. His passing is a great blow, and he'll be sorely missed.

windu4, Iron_lord and TKT like this.
  20. Lando Swarm

Lando Swarm Jedi Master star 2

Aug 9, 2013
    Awful news.

I never met Mr Allston, but the human warmth in his writing makes clear that he was a great person to know. My sincere condolences go to his friends and family.

I always loved his X-Wing books - his characters were so human, and his stories captured the adventurous tone of Star Wars so well. Also, his books were permeated with his incredible sense of humour. He didn't just imitate the style of humour from the movies, he actually improved upon it. He wrote like no other Star Wars author.

It's a great injustice that this man, who did so much to expand the Star Wars story for so many, will never get to see the sequel trilogy. He deserved it more than most.

21. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    RIP, Aaron Allston. You were a fantastic author and a big reason for my love of the Expanded Universe.

May smooth seas, gentle tides, and a clear horizon guide you to the next life. May the Force be with you.

--Adm. Nick

22. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Yub yub, Commander. :(

23. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Aaron Allston was a true inspiration to everyone. Such a friendly, approachable man who wrote some of the very best novels we've ever had the pleasure to read. He always knew how to inject the very best humor into whatever he was writing, and that meant everything to me. He kept it so that a story could be dark and deep, but could also give you some of the best laughs you had ever had. I know people don't really like LotF and FotJ around here, but his contributions to those series are still great.

I will now fully relish reading Mercy Kill when I get around to it.

May the Force Be With You Mr. Allston. Always. Rest in Peace.

24. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    Nooooooo :_| You were one of the best Mr. Allston- always telling great stories, always making people laugh. Rest in peace @};-

25. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Back in September, yes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.