main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Aaron Allston has passed away.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by HEDGESMFG, Feb 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Oh, no. This is so sad! I love his books so much, though I haven't read the latest book (my library doesn't have it yet, and I'm broke). I heard about this from Janine Spendlove, who was a really good friend of Aaron's and is just devastated by this. 53 is way too young. He was younger than my mother.

2. jedimaster203

jedimaster203 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 19, 1999
    Absolutely horrible news. I woke up to it this morning, and am incredibly sad.

I met Mr. Allston when he came to Lexington, Ky a couple years ago, literally one day before his heart attack. He was very warm, funny, and was just awesome in general. He played a huge role in my childhood, through his books. Starfighters of Adumar changed my life. The galaxy is a dimmer place without the light of his character.

Rest in Peace, Aaron.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  3. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I just read Backlash a few weeks ago, and in the foreword, Allston mentioned that he had suffered a massive heart attack while on a book tour for his first FOTJ book, Outcast. He gave massive kudos to the medical staff of the hospital he was taken to. I guess the signs for his condition were there all along, but I just didn't want to see them. [face_nail_biting]

4. mJedi775

mJedi775 Jedi Knight star 2

May 18, 2013
    He will be missed. I enjoyed reading his work and was right in the middle of rereading Wraith Squadron again. I remember even when I was reading a dark SW book like Betrayal, Aaron managed to insert his sense of humor and make you laugh.

5. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH first A. C. Crispin and now him?

He was one of the best authors in the EU. He was bar none the funniest, and the only one who could literally make me laugh out loud (not smile or chuckle or "actually, that was pretty funny," uncontrollable LOL) again and again in every book he wrote. And the fact that I read on into the LOTF and FOTJ eras and enjoyed any of them is about 100% due to him.

RIP. Wherever it is that people go after death, he deserves a good spot there.

6. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    So so sad. He was much too young. My condolences to his family and friends.

His books were some of the best the EU had to offer, especially his humor. He will be missed.

MasterSkywalker86 likes this.
  7. snelson

snelson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 21, 2005
    that is very sad he was a good and funny author r.i.p.@};-

8. The Compeer

The Compeer Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 12, 2013
    No one ever managed to capture the campy silliness of Star Wars quite like he did. R.I.P. Mr. Allston, you will be sorely missed.

9. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    :(

He was always such a witty writer, and a wonderful, kind-hearted man. He would talk with such passion about writing and the Star Wars universe if you got him on the subject. He absolutely loved it, and it showed in his work -- he made his characters come alive, running the entire emotional spectrum, from Ton and Face in Iron Fist to Wedge and co.'s antics in the unparalleled Starfighters of Adumar. His stories were unforgettable... and he will be sorely missed.

To paraphrase one of his most memorable quotes:

"I was just imagining what a sad galaxy this would be without Aaron's superior intellect and general state of wonderfulness."

10. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Terrible, terrible news. Only just finished reading Starfighters of Adumar about two weeks ago. Suddenly, I'm struck with the desire to read it again.

11. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Seems appropriate:

A bit farther, and Phanan said, in a hoarse whisper Face could barely hear over the whine of the repulsorlift, "It's up there again."

"Iron Fist?" Face looked up. The Super Star Destroyer was making another orbit.

It was distant, pristine, like the giant spearhead of some supernatural being from the long-forgotten mythologies of a hundred worlds. It drifted by, not caring about the lives and deaths and victories and tragedies of the humans below. And when it descended, it would bring death. That, Face decided, was Iron Fist, and no such thing had a right to exist.

If it took him forever, he would see it destroyed.

He made sure his sudden revulsion did not make it to his voice. "Not too intimidating from this far away, is it?" he asked.

Phanan didn't answer.

"I said, not too intimidating from here, is it?"

Phanan still did not respond.

Face stood where he was, unwilling to turn and look, to walk back on his cold-numbed legs to confirm what he feared.

But the speeder bike slowly drifted forward until it was beside him.

Phanan's chest did not rise and fall. But his organic eye was still open, directed upward, and his expression--for once lacking pain, lacking the shields of sarcasm and manufactured self-appreciation--was that of a child wondering at the glittering beauty of the stars.

Face's vision blurred as his own eyes filled with the first tears he'd shed since he was a boy.

12. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013
    Actually a little bit devastated, he's easily my favourite EU author and Starfighters is probably my favourite read of all time.

RIP.

13. DarthBarrister

DarthBarrister Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 16, 2014
    Wow. Just - wow.

14. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    This is very sad news. I very much enjoyed his x-wing novels. My sincerest condolences to his family and close friends.

15. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    My goodness...I can't believe it.

I personally haven't read any of his works, but I've heard tons of people like them and praise them, so I can imagine and empathize with those people who were hit hard by the loss. RIP Mr. Allston, your works shall live on in the hearts and minds of fans, canon be damned.

I think I shall take it upon myself to buy the Wraith Squadron trilogy soon.

16. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    This just took me by complete surprise. His books were favorite in the X-Wing series. This is a sad day for us all.

17. Darth_Xeres

Darth_Xeres Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 3, 2010
    This is the saddest news I've read this year. He was one of my favorite SW writers, and absolutely the best weaving humor into his tales, ranging from witty one-liners to elaborate jokes that took on a life of their own in the storyline, like Lieutenant Kettch. It was one of my fondest wishes for the ST that he would get to write new X-Wing novels set in that timeline, and that hope is now gone.

Iron_lord likes this.
  18. colojedi7

colojedi7 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 13, 2007
    I met Mr Allston at a book signing at CIV. Wonderful man. I love every Star Wars book he wrote. RIP. :_|

19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    So sad, and yes, way too young.

I loved the Enemy Lines duology and was (still am) looking forward to reading more of his work. Those books gave a bit of humor to the otherwise really somber NJO. When I get home tonight, I'm going to try to pull some of my favorite quotes out of my Kindle clippings.

RIP Mr. Allston. The Star Wars EU is a less funny place now. :(

20. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    The kark? No, no, no. :_|

21. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I haven't been to Lit in quite a while, but I saw the thread for this in JCC (and I was very heartened to see that Allston got a thread in JCC) and had to come right over to give my thoughts. Here's what I posted in JCC:

OH NO NO NO NO NO :_|

I think, if it came down to a total shakedown and I literally had to destroy for all time every EU work in existence except for the works of one author, it would be Allston's stuff I would save. His stuff was often genuinely hilarious and he didn't take himself or his books too seriously, something of a rarity in the EU. But he could also really kill me with his heartbreaking stuff. I mean, Chewbacca died? Sure, fine, whatever. But Grinder? I literally cursed aloud at that first time I read it.

And a few years ago when everyone was doing their "twenty best EU moments" Allston took my top spot for the scene in Wraith Squadron when Wedge writes the letter to Admiral Ackbar to let him know Jesmin has died. That was heartwrenching and when I first read it I wasn't that far removed from my father's death; it genuinely helped.

Actually, maybe everyone needs to go read that scene. It seems the perfect way to respond to Allston's death, to read him writing about how death is not the end.

jcgoble3, Sarge, Plaristes and 3 others like this.
  22. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Kyle Katarn himself cried today. :(

[​IMG]

I think we could all use a pick-me-up...

23. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    Rest in peace Mr. Allston, my condolences to his family and friends.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  24. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    Very sad news :( RIP Mr Allston

Revanfan1 likes this.
  25. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    May the Force be with you, Aaron. You shall be remembered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.