main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Aaron Allston has passed away.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by HEDGESMFG, Feb 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Well, this is what happens when one is taking a final late in the evening. One can easily miss major news such as this. With this sad news, I am now sufficiently motivated to acquire Mercy Kill, a lot sooner than I was ever intending to.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Oh, no.

In my head, he's now collaborating with Brian Daley on the best SW novels ever.

Rew, Jeff_Ferguson, Jedi Ben and 11 others like this.
  3. Ordo N-11

Ordo N-11 Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 28, 2013
    So sad. I always knew he had health problems, but I didn't realize they were this bad. He was easily one of the finest authors to ever write Star Wars. He effortlessly mixed both drama and humor into his stories. I could always count on his books for a laugh when I was down. He always respected both canon and the fans. I wish I could have met him. We will miss you.
    Aaron Allston, Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Iron_lord and Revanfan1 like this.
  4. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Rest in peace, Aaron.

The Wraith Squadron books were a huge part of my early teenage years and really defined the EU for me and still have a special place in my heart.

5. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I was flipping through Outcast, one of my favorite of Allston's books, and now I has a sad. The last sentence of the book is: It was good to be alive. :(

Likewise, Mercy Kill's final words are "He's smiling." :_|

6. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Truly shocking, heartbreaking news. What a wonderful entertainer he was as an author.

Rogue1-and-a-half and Revanfan1 like this.
  7. CMShake

CMShake Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 22, 2010
    This is truly unfortunate news, he was one of my favorite sw authors.

8. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I've read all his books except the X Wings. I really enjoyed him in NJO. Enemy Lines Duo is so so SO good. I don't post on tfn at all anymore but I'm happy I still remember my password to post this today. I heard on Malazan boards this sad news. Damn but this is a huge blow to me and SW EU fans world wide. :(

9. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Awe man, after I typed that I went to my room to my bookcase and looked at all his books that I have out. If you haven't done so go read his Acknowledgement for FOTJ: Backlash... That's deep and really sad on this day.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  10. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Damn, I completely missed this until now. What a tragedy - you will be missed Aaron. :(

I had the pleasure of attending his writing seminar at the last Celebration, and afterwards I saw him sitting on a bench. I thought about going over to talk to him, but thought "Yeah, I'm sure he'd love to have some stupid fanboy come over to talk to him." and moved on.
    About twenty minutes later, I passed by the same bench and saw Aaron chatting amiably with a fan. So... yeah. I missed out. He seemed like a genuinely friendly guy; I'm sorry I didn't get to see more of him.

11. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    The Star Wars Universe has lost an important icon. Not only that, but the dynamic team of authors - Allston, Stackpole, and Zahn - who have contributed the most to the EU has been permanently broken. All we can do now is pick up the pieces and move on.

12. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
  13. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    I've seen him multiple times over the years (he lived nearby), and yeah, also too shy to talk directly to him. :(

There are few Star Wars novels that affected me emotionally the way the X-Wing books did. The hilarious dialogue and preposterous capers would have me rolling on the floor, but I'd always be holding back a tear or two when a favorite character died. Face and Ton Phanan remain one of my favorite EU duos.

RIP, Aaron Allston.

TC

Iron_lord and blackmyron like this.
  14. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    I just found out. I'm in shock....

This is absolutely heartbreaking. 53 is too young. =((

going through his books again with the knowledge of his passing will make it even more heartbreaking. EU 2.0 or not he would have made some great books.

Thanks for the memories and the characters sir, they won't be forgotten.

15. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I'm home with my copy of Wraith Squadron now.

"I cannot begin to appreciate your loss, but in reflecting on her death, I have come to a conclusion that is important to me. I no longer believe that the momentum of a life headed in a worthwhile direction ends when that life does . . .In the future . . . I will never know how much good surrounding me is a legacy of Jesmin's life. Her future will be invisible to me. But invisible is not the same as nonexistent. I will know that her deedds and accomplishments still move among us, phantoms that represent everything good . . . and I am grateful for it."

That, at last, was what he meant to say.

You said it, Aaron. You said it.

16. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 21, 1999
    So sad! I'm just now reading though "Mercy Kill" and was admiring his writing ability all over. Very capable Star Wars author. Great for the military aspect and group dynamics.

Darth Mird'ika, imiller and Revanfan1 like this.
  17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    It's one of those weird things where another fandom captures this for us. As McCoy said: "He's really not dead as long as we remember him."

And really, that's the thing. For anyone who loves him solely because of his work; that's all he ever wanted. He wanted to be an author to enrich peoples' lives. For those of us who met him, we have other stories to tell, to share with each other.

I'm responsible for the /facepalm icon; I got him to re-pose for it, mavjade took the picture and s65horsey was standing next to us cracking up.
    For those who saw the Star Wars episode of Cupcake Wars, mavjade and I snuck him one of those cupcakes to his lecture going on. Spoiler alert: he would stop a lecture to receive a cupcake.
    He'd show up hours early and just sit there and talk to people -- people he knew, people he didn't know -- just hanging out while we'd set-up a party.
    He'd attend parties with TF.n, 501st, lunches with Club Jade, show up at Cons across the country and be the life of the party -- while sitting down -- wherever he went.
    Jedi_Dajuan has both her son as a perpetual reminder of Aaron (and the pictures of Doodle and Aaron to prove it).
    For any one of you who wished you would have talked to him, he would have loved that -- except for the times where he was out of breath and just wanted to sit and listen -- but he'd always be gracious and still want to be in the group.

As Rogue and others said: he loved the fans because he was a fan.

He was a fan first, a writer second and a game designer dead last (as I understand it, he just hated being called a game designer).

We loved him and he will be missed.
    But not forgotten.

18. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Just a note that I found his obituary here at Denton Funeral Home. There is an option for sending sympathy cards on the page. No details on the service or memorial yet.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  19. Reaper63

Reaper63 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    [​IMG]

I had the honor of meeting Mr Allston for the first time at SW Celebration 3. I'm the big bald guy in the picture, and it was amazing to be able to talk pilot with him. I inducted him into the Rebel Legion Costuming group and Inducted him as an honorary member of Hawkbat Squadron. (one of the regional pilot groups of the Rebel Legion) He loved the costumes, was honored by the plaque we presented him and great to talk to. Over the years, I was privileged to exchange emails with him as well.

The Wraith Books are my favorite in the X-Wing series and I loved the characters he created. It is truly a loss to us all.

20. johnthejedi24

johnthejedi24 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 12, 2004
    I had no idea until I saw this thread this afternoon. RIP sir.

21. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    Wow. Unbelievable. Fifty-three is pretty young in this day and age for death from something like this.

22. roguebot

roguebot Jedi Youngling

Mar 1, 2014
    Wow, this hit me hard. Allston's work, especially his X-Wing books, captured the spirit of what appealed to me most about the Star Wars universe. His books brought me comfort during my teenage years, and as an adult I appreciate even more just how talented he was. I'll miss him.

Draconarius and Iron_lord like this.
  23. BenKenobi1138

BenKenobi1138 Jedi Knight

Nov 12, 2013
    Rest in peace A.A. Ron, you have my utmost respect.

24. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    This is extremely sad news. As with many others in Lit, Allston and his novels were fundamental to my early EU reading. I will always appreciate his skill in characterization and ability to write both slapstick humor and poignant tragedy.

He was one of the few authors left in the Del Rey stable that I actively looked forward to seeing more novels from, and his death leaves a huge hole in the Star Wars writing community that, I think, cannot be filled.

Godspeed.

25. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    May the Force be with you, Aaron.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.