main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Aaron Allston has passed away.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by HEDGESMFG, Feb 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loopy777

Loopy777 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 8, 2013
    I remember when I first bought Wraith Squadron, when the X-Wing series was first being published, and how surprised I was when Stackpole's name wasn't on the cover. I started the book looking at Kell and thinking that this Aaron Allston guy was just aping the previous author. Then we got to Dinner Squadron, and the whole book changed. There had been hints before, but that was for me when Aaron's sense of humor, his grasp of humanity, and his wonderful sense of storytelling really blossomed, and didn't let up. To me, Aaron Allston was a guy who Got It. Not just Star Wars, but Story. He could make it fun, but there was enough real truth in there- just look at the messages in Kell and Tyria's romance, or the discussions between Wedge and Cheriss- to make me see the man behind the story, and like him.

imiller, jcgoble3, Iron_lord and 5 others like this.
  2. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    Requiescat in pace

GrandMasterKatarn likes this.
  3. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    Haven't been around much the last few weeks. Just checked to see if there was any news. Blown away.

Rest in Peace Aaron.

Sad to say we have lost one of, if not the, best writer to ever grace the pages of Star Wars.

Iron_lord, timmoishere and Revanfan1 like this.
  4. xoubara

xoubara Jedi Master star 2

Mar 4, 2003
    It has been a long time since I last posted here, but man. What a bummer... I was seeing that the EU was almost dead for me, and this news... Zahn is the only author I am interested in now.

He may not be worldwide famous, but we all know that he, alongside Zahn, Stackpole and Anderson, helped expand the universe we all love and in which lots of other authors would eventually play in. First there was Lucas, and then the aforementioned authors.

R.I.P, and my most sincere sympathies to his loved ones.

5. Darth Mird'ika

Darth Mird'ika Jedi Padawan

Sep 11, 2013
    “Death is a natural part of life. Rejoice for those around you who transform into the Force. Mourn them do not. Miss them do not."

6. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    He was a very talented Artist, May the Force be with him.

7. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    True. Doesn't make it any less sad.

Biggest load of Bantha poodoo this side of Tatooine. Yoda must've been trying to drive Anakin to the dark side! Yes, they may be in a better place–and yes, we should rejoice for that–but it's cold comfort when you're the one left behind.

8. Darth Mird'ika

Sep 11, 2013
    Well arent you just a negative nancy from naboo

TheRedBlade likes this.
  9. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I'm just saying, words like that can be comforting, but usually only after the sting of the death's worn off a bit. Not immediately thereafter, and certainly not before (Yoda).

10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    And not comforting for someone like Allston.

11. Danzo

Danzo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2012
    Wow, somehow I only found about this today. Truly gutted. It's not just that we lost a fantastic author whose books were some of the best to read but also the loss of a great person. For years I've read about the advice he would give out to aspiring writers at one convention or another, about how he loved to mentor new writers and inspire those around him. I'd always hoped I'd get the chance to meet him myself.

I don't know if anyone posted a link already or not but I stumbled across this touching Memorial by Silence in the Library publishing. RIP Allston. Gone but most certainly not forgotten.

12. Darth Droid

Darth Droid Jedi Master star 2

Jul 4, 2013
    A fantastic storyteller, we've truly lost one of the Star Wars greats today. I wish his family well, The Force will be with Aaron Allstan....always.

13. Darth Mird'ika

Sep 11, 2013
    .[/quote] And not comforting for someone like Allston.[/quote]
    Says you.

14. Onderon1

Onderon1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2008
    I'm shocked I hadn't heard about this sooner. And saddened. :( Mr. Allston was one of the best authors in the EU, and a creator of many great concepts that I hope continue forward in the sequel era. My deepest condolences to his family.

15. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    Decided to put aside my re-reading of the NJO and instead re-read the X-Wing Series; not much, but I feel reading the works of a great author is a fitting way to honor his passing.

16. DRHJ9

DRHJ9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2003
    I haven't posted in a long time...like many, I loved reading Aaron Allston's SW novels. He, along with Zahn, Anderson, and Stackpole had a big influence on getting me into reading when I was younger...

Rest in peace sir...

17. S1thari

S1thari Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 13, 2008
    This is precisely how I feel. I feel almost selfish now that the first thought that came to mind on reading this news was the fact that I couldn't even be bothered to buy and read Mercy Kill.

Oddly enough, before I even read this (weeks too late) I just thought about the fact that when I was using the restroom this morning, my go-to toilet read was Allston's FOTJ: Outcast PB which sits in my bathroom for me to read whenever I use the restroom. That actually says a lot, given the fact that I don't read any SW these days.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  18. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    The tribute that perhaps we've all been waiting for --- Mike Stackpole has written a very moving piece about the loss of a friend. Anything I have to say seems pale in comparison, so I'll just share some assorted soundbytes from Stackpole in case you're unable to read all of his piece:

I want you to know that all of you knew Aaron, the real Aaron. Those of us who were lucky enough and honored to log more hours in his company didn’t know him better, we just knew him more. Aaron was the man you meet in his books. He was the man you saw on panels. He was the man who would listen and smile, and listen more.

Aaron had no pretension and tolerated no pretension—all he wanted was that you write to the best of your ability, and that you enjoyed what you were doing. And, for all of you, the best way to honor Aaron is to keep writing and keep feeding your dreams.

Many people, when they pass, are lauded as having “touched many lives.” Aaron enhanced them. His stories have brought smiles, provided escape and sanctuary, and even life lessons to and for his readers. His teaching has enabled lots of young and new writers to start along that path to attain their dreams. And his good sense and humor and friendship has kept people like me encouraged and sane. That he made my life better is an understatement, and the future will still be powered by his influence.

And best of all:

****. The shark’s back.

Stackpole also indicates that some of Aaron's unpublished work is going to see the light of day. Hopefully I can honour his memory in some small way by picking it up. Rest in peace, Aaron.

19. boomx2sjk

boomx2sjk Jedi Master star 2

Nov 9, 2012
    Prayers to Aaron and the Alston family. Truly a great loss for his friends, family and fans alike

Iron_lord and Revanfan1 like this.
  20. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    There's been a lengthy update to his obituary on the Denton Funeral Home site:

Obituary for Aaron Dale Allston

Aaron Dale Allston, 53, born December 8, 1960 to Tom Dale Allston and Rose Binford Boehm in Corsicana, Texas, passed away on Thursday, February 27, 2014 in Springfield, Missouri.

Aaron Dale Allston, editor, publisher and author, age 53, passed away in Springfield, Missouri on Thursday, February 27, 2014. He was born December 8, 1960 to Tom Dale Allston and Rose Binford Boehm in Corsicana, Texas. He attended public schools in Big Lake, San Angelo, Wake Village and Denton, Texas graduating from Denton High School in 1979. He actively participated in the Science Fiction Club at DHS.

He attended the University of Texas at Austin, majoring in journalism. He began his professional writing career at the Austin American Statesman newspaper and Steve Jackson games and has published extensively since 1988, entering the freelance writing field in 1997. He is the author of 13 Star Wars novels as well as many other science fiction, game based fiction and mystery novels, short stories and technical guides for writers. He was a widely sought out speaker and lecturer for state and national conference and traveled extensively throughout the country teaching and mentoring aspiring writers.

He was an honorary member of the Vader’s Fist 501st Legion; an organization devoted to Star Wars costuming and who support and aid many charities, including children’s charities in fund raising.

His greatest joys came from his cats, his close personal friends, actor friends and fellow authors, science fiction and horror movie special effects, and particularly mentoring young aspiring actors.

He was preceded in death by his father, Tom Dale Allston, paternal grandparents, Oliver and Ruth Allston, maternal grandparents, John Binford and Bonnie Langley, and uncles, John Binford, Jr. and Paul Binford. He is survived by his mother, Rose Boehm, brother, Stacy Allston and aunt, Charlotte Owens.

Memorial services will be held Saturday, March 15, 2014 at 2:00 PM at Denton Funeral Home Chapel, 120 South Carroll Blvd., Denton, Texas, 76201 with Rev. Jerald Garner officiating. Interment will follow at a later date with other members of his maternal family in Corsicana, Texas.

As a tribute to his kindness to others, charitable donations made in his name or in the name of Star Garrison, 501st Legion at www.Stargarrison.com or the Children’s Advocacy Center for Denton County at www.cacdc.org would be appreciated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.