main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Aayla: alive or dead?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Excellence, Jun 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Moordenaar

Lord_Moordenaar Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 6, 2004
    She was a very beautiful, very noble Jedi Knight and I was very sad to see her gunned down at she was. Hers and Ki-Adi-Mundi's deaths were just just too much for me and I got very emotional and found myself sniffing back tears; unfortunately the second time I saw ROTS, I got teary, still I managed not to cry. The initiation of the Jedi Purge was the most tragic scene in the film I believe.

I first got into the character of Aayla Secura from a Clone Wars comic in which she faced off against Aurra Sing, now Aurra is a chick who has killed off plenty of Jedi, when I saw was about to happen I said to myself "There goes Aayla" but I was wrong, Aayla beat Aurra and even sparred her though her crimes were great in number against the Jedi Order. This trait sparked a deep respect for her character, the next and last time to date that I read about her, she met with Quinlan Vos and I believe they were arguing because she felt darkness in him; though I could be wrong.

In any case, she is one of my favorite Prequel Era Jedi Knights and will be sorely missed.

2. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

As Dante's miraculous vid shows---Tam Elgrin would probably request you not show me how to do that---Secura does get shot once but, unlike the other Councillors, her camera angle was distinctly ambiguous. My impression was not seeing the body, and how they just kept shooting a touch longer than you normally would, was a bit deliberate. But if she's gone, then I can accept that.

3. lightsaber_wielder

lightsaber_wielder Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2002
    In fact, she gets shot more than once; she cops three distinct blaster hits in the back, falls to the ground, and then receives another twenty or so.

4. Durnar

Durnar Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2004
    Theres nothign ambiguous. 3 shots clearly in the back, and at least 7 more on the ground before the camera is obscured.

5. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    hmmm however Reversal of Fortune makes this discussion all rather irrelevant.

She's dead. And even Tom Hodges said so and he got his info from the very top.

I think the more interesting question is whether Quinlan dies or survives, and we will find that out soon ;)

6. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    I think we ought to just accept the fact that she's dead and look on it as a tragic and horrifying example of the Emperor's evil, that this courageous, beautiful and noble young woman was slain on the altar of Palpatine's ambition and hatred.[face_tired]

(Alright, so I'm less hostile towards her after witnessing her death)

7. Darkside_ofthe_Floyd

Darkside_ofthe_Floyd Jedi Youngling

Apr 7, 2005
    As hard as it is to accept she's dead, the only way out from her situation involves being shimmery, blue and having the dstinct inability to touch anything (yes technically, as Yoda and Obi-Wan have only just learnt this is posible, she won't but hey if Qui-Gon can...). Still I did fnd it a pretty tough scene, if one thing personifies her in the comics it's her ability to survive when the odds are against her, to be cut down by the troops she trusts seemed plain unfair, the first thing I said when I left the cinema was 'but Aayla's dead' my mates only being caual fans not only thought I was mad but also brushed off what was quite an emotional scene, cretins.

8. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    That's interesting. I know plenty of casual fans who didn't know anything about those Jedi who died, foud that to be the saddest scene in the movie. In fact, all of the casual fans I know think that... IMO the horrilbeness of that scene is just increased by knowing them. it doesn't really make it.

9. Darth_Snuggle

Darth_Snuggle Jedi Master star 2

Jun 5, 2005
    Aayla beat Aurra and even sparred her though her crimes were great in number against the Jedi Order.

Lord_Moordenaar, she did the same to Bok in the "Rite of Passage" storyline. She's proven herself to be very much a model of what a Jedi should be. I'm looking forward to their rematch in issue 77.

Darkside_ofthe_Floyd, the Force spirit thing was a notion that just occurred to me the other night after reading several back issues of "Republic." Many times, even as far back as "Darkness," Aayla's said that she would always be there for Quinlan whenever he felt the darkness inside him overwhelming. Combine that with the strong bonds she makes with fellow Jedi and hints that Quin's story isn't quite over yet and it's just a matter of deciding if that's enough to maintain her individuality once she's become one with the Force as it was in Qui-Gon's case.

10. Lord_Moordenaar

Lord_Moordenaar Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 6, 2004
    Alas, he was killed in the comic adaptation

As am I, I do need to invest in some of the Clone Wars comics, what I've read of them has intrigued me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.