main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Aayla Secura

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by DarthTalonx, Jul 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I wish we could have seen more episodes on Ryloth. Well, a good EU story about Ryloth and what the Twi'leks go through would be interesting. I feel sorry for some of them, but Aayla Secura is a liberated, powerful, tough woman. As to Orn Free Taa and Bib Fortuna, they're vile. Well, Orn Free Taa kinda reminds me of Jabba the Hutt in some ways, albeit a cleaner and well-groomed version, unless you look at his teeth and nails. Lol. I'm guessing that Bib Fortuna was mistreated by Jabba for so long that he became more like him. He wanted to supplant him, but that didn't work out. Gosh, that story about him and his brain... So weird! I wonder how Aayla would have felt had she met Orn Free or Bib...

DarthTalonx likes this.
  2. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    Agreed. Zygeria could have used a few more adult Jedi in it, given its darker themes. Aayla would have been ideal as she was a Twilek. I think there was a comic where she went undercover investigating slavery, so something similar could have worked here. Yes I see your point about Anakin and it did indeed relate to his past and his future. I think the story could have been made more in depth, as could many episodes, with more Jedi and giving them a deeper more explored role than just an appearance. I think Asoka could have been used more, given that it was her people who had been taken.

Yes we could have a more thrilling show if it utilized those characters and also emphasized realism (much like TDK). Star Wars films are grown up, but still enjoyable for kids. I think some of the books like Labrynth of Evil and Rise of Darth Vader were ideal given how they used grown up and children in them and the story had the right balance of dark and humor.

Aayla or Shaak Ti would have been super for Zygeria or a similar arc. Even Vos might have worked.

Ah right. Tbh I liked the Ryloth stuff. Though it seemed like we saw different parts of it at different times, e.g. Master Di. It would have been nice to see more of that planet, more battles, more Twileks on different parts of the planet and also more Jedi.

Agreed! I wish we could have seen a lot more of Ryloth. It felt like we got snippets at different times, e.g. the whole Master Di last stand (which was very nicely done). I thought Syndulla was a great thing to add, especially his line to Windu about "How long before I am fighting you Master Jedi?" suggesting the undertones of the Galactic Empire to come.

It would have been nice to explore more of the planet, and have more battles (this was meant to be a planetary occupation/invasion similar to Geonosis). Also I completely concur that Aayla is a liberated, free and confident young woman. She is also a Twilek Jedi Knight. It would have been nice to see her on her home planet or undercover. In addition it would be nice to see more leading roles for Twileks who contrast to the Taa's and Fortunas. I would have liked to see more Jedi taking General roles (alongside Windu, Master Di, Obi Wan). It would have been nice to see a few female Generals, perhaps Luminara and Aayla joining them around the planet.

Taa is indeed similar to Jabba. It would have been interesting to have Aayla interact with such people. That's why it felt like she was hardly used. There could have been so many interactions and clever lines. Windu does it in a bad ass kind of way. Obi Wan has a humorous one liner. Yoda a word of wisdom. Anakin does what needs to be done and Ashoka something funny too. Aayla could have given us the cheeky lines like she did to Yularen.

It would also be interesting to see Aayla interact with ordinary citizens or lead more battles. For example, we saw Anakin and Obi Wan being engaged by people in the nightclub on Coruscant, and at bars in Labrynth of Evil. Someone even hits on Anakin in that book. A conversation/flirtation between Jedi and citizens is always funny to see. It would be funny to see Adia Gallia or Aayla Secura demonstrate this. In particular their notions or experience of romance or attachment in comparison to Anakin, given that they are of a similar age. It always seemed like Windu and Yoda were of the Old Guard. Obi Wan was part of this, but maybe related to what we might call the normal world better, and Anakin struggling to avoid romantic feeling or attachment.

We saw conversations Ashoka had about how Anakin took a more radical Jedi approach to problems, doing what needed to be done, and following his feelings. It would be very very interesting and fun to see other young Jedi's behavior and actions. Aayla seems ideal to explore this, being a young Jedi and female as well.

Also, it's a shame we didn't see Aayla or Depa or Shaak Ti in leading roles. Not to mention given more of a chance to be explored over time and become recurrent characters than one off wonders that leave us wishing we saw them more!

3. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I will admit Ryloth was a cool planet to bad we only saw it once.

DarthTalonx likes this.
  4. DarthTalonx

Nov 12, 2014
    It was cool. It would be nice to see more of it and either more Twileks of different affluence and viewpoint on the war/Jedi, etc. For example the immense wealth we see being plundered by the Techno Union. And what of the rich Twileks and showing us more Twilek people in towns and cities? Also maybe explore why Twileks are renowned as dancers or a fight against slavery or maybe large trooper or droid bases. What we saw was really good, so much potential! Also, Windu was bad ass and Syndulla a nice touch. The Ryloth we saw seemed very deprived though and we didn't really explore the capital or cities much.

Maybe show us the crime syndicates or have Twilek Jedi joining the fight, e.g. Aayla? I did like how they showed us Master Di on Ryloth. Not sure why we didn't see more of the campaign with more Jedi. Even Windu's appearance was brief. Would be nice to see him engage multiple enemies like Yoda. There was something on the Star Wars website before about him engaging an entire division of tanks single handedly - after all he is second only to Yoda.

Agreed on more Jedi.

Yes agreed on that storyline. Would be good to explore Twileks being desired objects or undercover work. Aayla would be ideal for that. Also we could have seen Jedi like Aayla on Ryloth. We need to see more female leads of that age group (e.g. Anakin, Serra Keto, Aayla Secura, etc). It provides a viewpoint also into that generation's perception on the Order, the War etc.

More Aayla in general, and more Jedi is ideal. More Shaak Ti would be grand. She was known for her gracefulness. She isn't Twilek btw, she's Togruta.

Totally agree. I think there is much to explore with other Jedi of Anakin and Aayla's generation. This is a group of Jedi who have been taught by the Old Guard and may have a different take on the Force and how to do things. Each Jedi has their own attributes and style. Ashoka also mentioned how Anakin might have had progressive views on how to be a Jedi. It would be nice to see other young Jedi including female Jedi being shown and exploring their characters.

I.e. Ashoka is the next generation (along with other Padawans). We get to see Obi Wan and Mace (and Yoda), but we hardly see the generation of Anakin and the other young Knights.

There's plenty of potential to show us female Jedi Masters like Adia Gallia and Shaak Ti. Also we can explore younger Jedi like Aayla Secura and Serra Keto, Bol Chatak, etc. Aayla seems a little cheeky and energetic, would be nice to see her expanded upon. Also so many possibilites given she is a Twilek. E.g. undercover work. She is also strong in the Force and talented beyond just her good looks or being sexy.

Also it would be awesome to see more female leading roles and also younger Jedi to provide a different perspective on this ancient order and how the youth behave and perceive everything. I do believe having Aayla interact with ordinary citizens would also show us how they relate to different Jedi. E.g. Mace is perceived as bad ass, Yoda as wise, Obi Wan as noble, Anakin as powerful, Shaak Ti as graceful, etc, Ashoka as eager and having potential. Anakin was hit on in Labrynth of Evil as well as in the AOTC nightclub. Lux commented to Ashoka on her being different to what he had thought about Jedi. And Anakin and Yularen regularly joked. So did Dex and Obi Wan. It would be interesting to see Aayla having a non Jedi to interact with or someone bantering/flirting with her.

I also think it would be nice to just see more Jedi right?

5. DarthTalonx

Nov 12, 2014
    Ok, not sure why, I can't edit my above post to reply to the below, so had to post again:

Yes pre Order 66 material I guess, given she is a famed Jedi of that era. To come back would be difficult, unless she was not killed, but stunned, though I do think she was killed and even Yoda felt this.

Lol. Aayla is attractive, but she is more than just eye candy. She is a young Jedi Knight and provides an insight into that generation's thinking, skillset and perception of the Jedi Order and the galaxy/war as a whole. She is of Anakin's generation, different from the Council, Old Guard - younger than them, but older than Ahsoka and the Padawans. Also she provides an insight into a female equivalent of the age of Anakin. It is a shame we don't see more Jedi of this age group as it's interesting to see the young behaving. E.g. They may be less patient or experienced than Yoda. Maybe more energetic, but more controlled than a Padawan like Ahsoka.

She is also a young Jedi Knight of Anakin's generation. It provides us with a different perspective on the Jedi Order and various Jedi's attributes and viewpoints. Ashoka is of the generation below that. The Old Guard of Yoda, Mace and Obi Wan (a bridge between his generation and Anakin) has a certain ethos. Anakin, as Ahsoka mentioned to another Padawan has a different take on things. There are Jedi who have different skills and also their own beliefs on how to serve the Force. It also gives us an idea of how the youth are perceived by the galaxy and also how young Knights go about their business. In addition, having Jedi like Aayla, Shaak Ti, Serra Keto etc, gives us a female lead, role model and perspective on female Jedi Knights. She is more than just eye candy, she is a Jedi Knight and of that age group to provide us a fresh insight or viewpoint on the Order. It's like the difference between a clone commander, a regular clone and a complete newbie rookie or shiny. An Emperor, an Admiral and a Captain. A Jedi Master who is human, a Jedi who is Twilek and Yoda who is eight hundred years old. Everyone is different!

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Twice- there was that unnecessary prequel episode (Supply Lines, IIRC).

DarthTalonx likes this.
  7. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Unnecessary, yes, but you gotta admit that ending was pretty cool. Plus we get to see blockade runners actually running a blockade.

darskpine10 and DarthTalonx like this.
  8. DarthTalonx

Nov 12, 2014
    Absolutely epic ending! We needed more scenes like Master Di's last stand!! This was a quality scene.

Wish we had had many more episodes on Ryloth, more Jedi displayed, more Jedi sacrifices, more young female Jedi Knights like Aayla featuring and more CIS victories to give balance.

Dinos4Ever likes this.
  9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'd have settled for one last Christophsis episode linking the cloaking ship ep to The Hidden Enemy.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  10. DarthTalonx

Nov 12, 2014
    Yes, the opening of that episode was very good.

Why didn't we see more Aayla Secura and Shaak Ti in TCW?

Would have been really awesome to see these characters explored, have leading roles and developed. Having young female leads being featured more often would have been nice, and these two would provide an interesting insight into the Jedi Order, the war and what young knights of that generation are like.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I already explained why Aayla's role was reduced. Shaka Ti came in halfway through and would probably fall into the "build up to ROTS" scenario I described.

12. DarthTalonx

Nov 12, 2014
    But we hardly saw any of Aayla who was meant to be a fairly famous Jedi Knight (shown in the films and senior meetings). She was also young in Anakin's generation. We didn't get to see her in a leadership role or in many battles or stories at all.

Even with Shaak Ti, she hardly featured, except when Kamino was shown. Look at the number of times both were shown and it makes no sense not to have featured such great characters more often and given them a deeper expanded role to play in not only the story, but the show. They are female Jedi, young, skilled and also of varying species to give us variety in a galaxy of quadrillions. We could also have seen more of a Lux/Ashoka, Anakin/Padme, Obi Wan/Satine dynamic having equivalents for Aayla Secura and Shaak Ti. Even having a Yularen or Dex like friend for each to interact with would have been awesome.

It would be nice to see more Shaak Ti and more Aayla, don't you think?

Given Aayla was in ROTS, she was not featured enough in the later seasons. Both as female leads, could have been shown off more?

JEDI-RISING likes this.
  13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Again, shifting focus away from Aayla was a result of the show shifting directions between seasons 1 & 2. Shaka Ti was used in a consistent role re: Kamino. Both would have likely had more appearances as events built towards their ROTS roles.

But, ultimately, they're supporting characters that would only appear in an episode or two each season when needed.

14. DarthTalonx

Nov 12, 2014
    But shouldn't more Jedi be leading characters in the famous Clone Wars, that Obi Wan mentions to Luke back in ANH?

This is the age of the Jedi! Yet we don't get to see much of them in depth and in detail?

We had stories for a few people, why not for some more, especially female leads like Aayla Secura, Shaak Ti, Adia Gallia? Some of these were on the Jedi Council as well! We could have seen them interact with citizens, lead troopers,etc. Not to mention undercover work!

15. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    she's one of those characters, perhpas like Boba, that looked really cool and people wish had some more time on screen

sarlaccsaurs-rex and DarthTalonx like this.
  16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    They've already elevated background characters to recurring or supporting roles in a show that has an already large core cast it has to keep focus on (as it's not an anthology).

The reason Aayla & Shaak Ti only pop up a few times is because they still need to tell stories featuring Anakin, Ahsoka, Padme, Kenobi, Rex, Fives, Boba, Bane, the droids, Jar Jar, Dooku, Ventress, Palpasidious, Plo, Yoda & Mace, etc, etc.

Add to that you can only do so many stories set on Kamino (Shaak's role) and they haven't yet arrived at the ROTS events of Felucia (Aayla) or whichever death of Shaak they want Yoda's vision to be of.

DarthTalonx likes this.
  17. DarthTalonx

Nov 12, 2014
    Agreed. I really think we could have seen more of Aayla, Shaak Ti, Adia Gallia, Cin Drallig, Serra Keto, Shryne, etc.

Aayla was a really fun, energetic, and sporty character. She was a young female Jedi Knight who could have been explored and utilized as a Twilek much better right?

But the thing is, given that the Jedi Generals are meant to be prominent, they are not featured enough. The Jedi Order does not just consist of 4 Jedi. So you need to show more, much like Master Di or Cin Drallig, etc. And just as Anakin, Obi Wan, Yoda etc are constantly reassigned, so are other Jedi.

Shaak Ti is not restricted to Kamino, nor is Aayla restricted to just appearing on Felucia. They can move about as well and be explored no less than other Jedi. There is an opportunity to go in depth into Jedi of Anakin's generation and give us a new insight into the Order and different styles of Jedi and people.

We could have seen undercover work, Aayla could have been featured on Zygeria for instance. Shaak Ti could have been involved in Grievous engagements. Adia Gallia could have featured more in protecting Palpatine episodes.

We could also see how other Jedi interact with their clones and how they command troops on the battlefield. That was a great thing about the Geonosis arc, Kamino, Umbara ones for instance.

Don't you think we could have had more Aayla and benefitted from it, not only for her character and having another female role model or lead, but for the whole show in general and the infinite potential of the Clone Wars?

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The show isn't just about Jedi but it already has a lot of them in there. Other Jedi like Aayla & Shaak get to pop up occasionally when stories that require characters outside the core cast need them to. But they're never going to become main characters just because they look cool.

The Clone Wars may have infinite (or at least, vast) storytelling potential- but the show only has a finite number of episodes (a number already far fewer than what they needed to finish the show without them adding in stories/arcs about secondary characters like Aayla & Shaak).

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  19. DarthTalonx

Nov 12, 2014
    But there are hardly any Jedi who are shown in depth which seems bizarre in the age of the Jedi!

Aayla Secura, Shaak Ti, Adia Gallia are more than just looking good. They are cool and great female characters. Aayla Secura can provide us a perspective on a young female Jedi Knight of Anakin's generation. She also is talented and as well as being beautiful, is cheeky, smart and skillful - like a Padme or a Leia.

How can you show off the full Clone Wars without an in depth look at a few characters - especially females and especially Jedi. We could have seen undercover work by Aayla (e.g. Zygeria). We could have seen a Satine or Lux or Yularen equivalent for Aayla. It would be fitting and interesting to see ordinary citizens interacting with someone like Aayla and a Jedi like her. We could have seen Aayla lead on the battlefield more often.

We also hardly saw Master Di like Jedi.

It wouldn't take that much to expand her role beyond a vision and redirecting Jar Jar episodes to having more Jedi episodes and having more Jedi in episodes.

Aayla Secura and Shaak Ti are not insignificant characters, nor insignificant Jedi.

20. DarthTalonx

Nov 12, 2014
    Couldn't we see a friendly relationship between Aayla and a Dex/Yularen type figure? And what about a Satine type character for Aayla to interact with on a slightly romantic or flirtatious level (e.g. Hera and Kanan or Sabine and anyone in Rebels)?

To explore a young female Jedi Knight and their interactions would add a new dimension to Star Wars.

21. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    If Aayla had a clone wars era love interest it'd add an opportunity to tell a story about said love interest seeking revenge against the empire over her death.

22. DarthTalonx

Nov 12, 2014
    Absolutely. I think that is a very good idea. They could search for her and discover the truth.

I also think showing that love interest (or who knows, maybe several who try to woo her or are smitten by her and then one ultimate partner) and the dynamic between the young Jedi and them would be fun and interesting.

It would also provide a realistic, humorous and exciting story to see people being attracted to a Jedi or having banter with them. Aayla would be an ideal candidate to explore/expand this.

Great idea!

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  23. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    A revenge showdown with Bly could be interesting....

Aayla's Lover: You murdered her! You shot your own General down in cold blood what did she do to deserve it?!
    Bly: Good soldiers follow orders. She was a traitor to the empire!
    Lover: She was the mother of my child!
    :eek:

24. DarthTalonx

Nov 12, 2014
    Exactly!

Also to actually see Aayla being flirtatious undercover or being cheeky like she was with Yularen with the "only the good ones" would be fun. I agree though, to see one of the interactions develop romantically like Satine would be very interesting and super. It should be explored for sure!

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  25. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    In short, you want a flirty, romantic storyline with a young, attractive female Twi'lek, right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.