main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Aayla Secura~

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Mazzic, Nov 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediToren

JediToren Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2000
    "Anyone else gonna give Aayla or a Twi'lek a go?"

After I am finished with my Chewie Costum I am going to do some flesh-colored Male Twi'Lek head gear with a kind of bandana like the Twi'Lek Jedi apprentice in the Tales of the Jedi comics wears.

2. kampilan

kampilan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    You mean Jedi Knight, Tot Doneeta? ;) Well, in TOTJ:Redemption I think he was a Knight. Last appearance I've seen of him too.

That would be cool! I thought about doing a male Twi'lek Jedi costume and have even drawn up what the character should look like and made up a small back story to him. I say he dies in the Geonosis Arena Battle... then I saw SW Tales#14 and saw a story of just that! Well, I would have a bandanna as well the comic book character in the new Tales didn't.

3. JediToren

Mar 20, 2000
    Yeah, that's him. He could understand beast languages.

The main reason I want to do it is because, looking at pictures of me at DragonCon and Celebration II, my hair always looks like I just rolled out of bed.

4. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    Anyone else gonna give Aayla or a Twi'lek a go?

Eventually, after I get through some other costuming projects I've already lined up. I'd love to do Aayla, but may just do a custom Twi'lek.

5. pivy

pivy Jedi Youngling star 1

May 12, 2002
    Yeah, I plan on attempting her, too, but not until the spring, at least. I'm booked until then. :)

--Ivy

6. Jedi_Master_Ki-Yurei

Jedi_Master_Ki-Yurei Jedi Youngling

Dec 12, 2002
    Yeah i;m gonna do a Twi'lek costume for sure I was wantin to do one for the SWC2 but i ran out of time. I also have a question. I don't quite understand the flour part where you sprinkled it on the inside I don't get that. And how many layers did you put on the Head piece? wouldn't it have to be really strong so it woudn't break? since it was made from paper mache' and also how long where your head tails? and where do you get butcher paper?
    I love the costume it's wonderful and I can't wait to make one of my own set of head tails. I'd say the're the best I've ever seen.

7. JediToren

Mar 20, 2000
    When you work with latex (i.e. casting a mask) you springle flour or talc powerder so the latex doesn't stick to itself, i.e. if a one piece of the latex touches another piece they don't stick togethor.

8. kampilan

kampilan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    Sounds like your male Twi'lek costume is gonna rock, Toren!

Cool! I don't think I've seen one with a bandana yet so posts pics when you can.

9. Zam-the-Assasin

Zam-the-Assasin Jedi Youngling star 2

May 29, 2002
    THis seems to be a challenging project, and I am hoping to tackle it sometime in the near future. I am re-working my Leia Slave costume at this moment, but I completely want this costume in my collection and I think it should be! ;)

10. Mazzic

Mazzic Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2000
  11. Mazzic

Mazzic Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2000
    Just trying to update the heading...

-Mazz

12. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
  13. Karma

Karma Jedi Master star 3

Aug 16, 2000
    Both of the old threads addressing these topics were locked, feel free to open them and add this one!

Just wanted to share some photos of my Aayla Secura lekku and headwrap. I wore this at the DragonCon STar Wars costume contest. It was quite heavy and I could only wear it for a little while at a time. I am going to try and remove some of the latex filling and use something lighter, perhaps just some cushion foam, instead. The latex shouldn't deform from underneath.

The first step was making the molds for the headpiece. A one-piece design was decided upon for ease of removal/donning. The basic shape was sculpted from clay:

[image=http://home.earthlink.net/~karma/sculpt34.jpg]
    [image=http://home.earthlink.net/~karma/sculptfront.jpg]

The clay was then 'painted' with rubber latex in three coats. The tails were mail from regular upholstery foam and glued to the main headpiece. The seam this created was covered by the leather strapping.

The lekku were airbrushed with acrylic-based craft paint, which had been matched to the body makeup's color. The headwarp part was also airbrushed a dark brown to match the leather strappings.

[image=http://home.earthlink.net/~karma/headpiece1.jpg]
    [image=http://home.earthlink.net/~karma/tails.jpg]

I used Ben Nye LiquiColor makeup in "cosmic blue". I planned to apply it by airbrush but the airbrush line developed a clog and had to be applied by hand. After it was dry, I spayed Ben Nye LiquiSet over everything and it helped keep me relatively smudge-free.

14. DARTHLARS

DARTHLARS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Wow. That was an unusual way of doing it. I saw you in pictures from DragonCon - it looks great! You should post some here! ;)

15. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    Why didn't you make a plaster mold and cast it in latex?

16. Karma

Karma Jedi Master star 3

Aug 16, 2000
    Because time was a factor. I'd planned on doing just that, so more copies could be made, but Hurricane Charley left the area without power for a while. So only one was made, with the idea that by wearing it at Dragon Con I could figure out what needed tweaking and then a new corrected mold could be made (and that one would be plastered).

17. beks

beks Jedi Youngling

Sep 26, 2004
    Wow Mazzic that costume is great! And Karma ... my jaw hit the floor there with that headpiece!! Darn i wish i could mak things!

Hiyas everyone Im new to these forums and ive just got to say wow - the information on here is amazing!!

Im not new to costuming but im only used to making very simple things. Doing a couple of alterations, adding things with glue or sewing - cutting things off original garments. Kinda a slash and hack costumer lol

Ive been trying to work on Aayla for about 4 months. So far i have my boots, trousers (that need altering slightly) I have leather and material for the top and the belts etc.

Now ... the lekku ... Ive looked in detail at the tutorial with the cones of paper and i was going to try that but i kind of wanted the lekku to appear a slight different shape than a cone and thats going to be hard to do with a painting latex on paper method? - i think - plz correct me if im wrong lol

Anyway Ive never made anything at all like the lekku and im finding it very hard to know where to begin. I live in the UK also so a lot of the products and stores people mention in tutorials dont exist here as those brands.

If anyone would like to get in contact with me id be really really greatfull indeed. Even if its just some basic tips on where to begin.

Thanx so much for the great forum and all the posts so far I've got help from those already :)

18. Sraw_Rats

Sraw_Rats Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 23, 2001
    Mazzic: put your photo in a SW backdrop and rotoed your saber.....

[image=http://pic4.picturetrail.com:80/VOL755/2599102/5185719/72529719.jpg]

Looks cool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.