main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Aayla Secure costume- pics, finally!

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Karma, Apr 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karma

Karma Jedi Master star 3

Aug 16, 2000
    Just the headress (I'm trying to finish Slave Leia first) for right now, and I've added more stuffing to the lekku's since these pictures were taken. Any helpful comments are greatly appreciated.
    I used blue cotton broadcloth for the lekkus, and brown vinyl for the headdress.

One lekku, unattached:
    [image=http://members.aol.com/inxsary/onetail.jpg]
    Both lekkus, attached:
    [image=http://members.aol.com/inxsary/both.jpg]
    From the back:
    [image=http://members.aol.com/inxsary/back.jpg]

2. GentleBant

GentleBant Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 21, 1999
    Very nice!

Quick question: did adding more stuffing make them stiffer?

3. JangoFett316

JangoFett316 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 2, 2001
    Lookin' good!

4. Karma

Karma Jedi Master star 3

Aug 16, 2000
    I used pillow batting....it smoothed out most of the creases and folds and didn't really make them stiffer. They are still flexible, even with the leather strips winding around them
  5. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    karma, they look great! :)

6. Jedi_Junkie

Jedi_Junkie Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2003
    Wow, Karma! Those are incredible, do you have any instructions posted on the boards?? If you do can you direct me to 'em?? I'd really love to do a Twi-Lek Jedi, and your lekku look awesome..

7. Karma

Karma Jedi Master star 3

Aug 16, 2000
    Hello!
    I don't have a tutorial or anything, I made the lekkus on a whim just to see how they'd come out. Since they came out OK, I'll work on the rest of the costume!
    However, when i get it all finalized (I am making another pair that are a little longer) I'll try to post the pattern I used, as I did that part by hand.
    Basically I made the headdress by wrapping the vinyl around my head and sewing the seams across it. When that was done, I laid it on some blue fabric and drew in the lekkus in the shape I wanted them to be. Nothing too technical there... it took me about three tries to get them as fat and as long as I wanted them to be.
    The only problem with the ones in the pictures above is that I've found they curve too much, so the next pair I make are going to be slightly straighter, so they hang down my back better.
    One bit of advice I might offer is that if you are going to do full face makeup is to get the makeup first and then try to match the fabric color to the makeup, and not the other way around.
  8. Jedi_Junkie

Jedi_Junkie Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2003
    I liked the way they curved, made them look a tad bit expressive. o_O And if I do the whole makeup thing I will definitely take that advice to heart! Lucky for me I know a place that can custom dye fabric. :D Approximately how much fabric did you use for the whole thing? And do you know of an resources for suggestions on the head-wrap/piece?

Edit: Oh, and when you make your new lekku make sure to take LOTS of pictures! :) I'd love to see your process, as I'm not terribly creative.

9. varza

varza Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 7, 2002
    karma! those look great!

I can't wait to see the rest of the costume when you get it done-that is if you are willing to show more pics...

I am hoping to one day make an Aayla Secura outfit... but that is near the end of my list of costumes to make.

10. Karma

Karma Jedi Master star 3

Aug 16, 2000
    As soon as I finish the costume (within the next month, hopefully) I'll be doing a test run with full makeup. I'll be sure to take lots of pictures!

I used some dark brown upholstery vinyl from Joann's Fabrics for the headpiece...you might be able to get it at some Super Wal-Marts too. I measured my head and cut a foot wide piece out. To make the "seams" I just folded the vinyl over itself as I sewed it, so the seams are 3D and not flat.

I used 2 1/2 yards of blue cotton duck fabric for the lekkus, folded over itself and pinned together. After I cut them out I just sewed them together and then turned them inside out. The next set I make (this week hopefully) will be a little less curved, so that they hang straighter.

I won a vintage brown leather coat on eBay this week which looks like it might be perfect to make Aayla's top from. I can't wait to get it in!

11. Mirax H

Mirax H TFN Costumes Staff star 3 VIP

Aug 16, 1999
    The lekku turned out really nice! Looking forward to seeing it all together.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.