main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ABC's "Once Upon a Time"

Discussion in 'Community' started by Valyn, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Well, apparently the last thread on this was closed for controversial reasons...

Anyway, my fiancee just started watching this on Hulu Plus and I caught a few episodes before I started getting into it. The series started off kind of dull with mediocre acting and lame plots, but it quickly started to grow more intricate (at least in the fairy tale world).

I have especially developed an interest in their portrayal of Rumpelstiltskin. He's definitely the most gripping character on the show, imo. His background story and his involvement with nearly everyone's lives in the fairy tale world are also pretty interesting. Plus the actor playing him does an exceptional job.

The Evil Queen is, unfortunately, not too complex at all, apart from her little conspiracies. The episode in which she killed her father was probably one of her better ones.

The show kind of falls flat in the real-world scenes and plots, though. The main hero doesn't really do much or accomplish much, and whatever little accomplishments anyone makes, the Evil Mayor always has an ace up her sleeve. This predictability of her always winning come the end of an episode has become kind of stale.

Anyway, I kind of hope that ABC renews the show, if only so that Rumpelstiltskin gets more screen time.

2. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    The ratings are pretty decent, so I expect it will continue for a while. I've been addicted to it since it started, it kind of reminds me of one of those true blood types of shows....not actually good as a show, but perfect for entertainment purposes. Also I have a mad crush on rumpelstiltskin.

3. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I just saw the Beauty and the Beast episode. Very well done. This and Rumpel's background episode, along with the Huntsman episode, are definitely the best the show has offered so far.

4. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I love this show. It's pure fun and entertainment. :D

5. Sauntaero

Sauntaero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 9, 2003
    The Beauty and the Beast episode has been the best so far, IMO, and the new take on the Snow White story is pretty cool. The acting (and the writing) is almost too bad for me to bear most of the time, but I do enjoy how they're weaving so many fairy tales & myths together. Can't wait to see where it goes.

6. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    The Evil Queen's acting is kind of bad when she plays the Evil Queen. But as the Evil Mayor, she's more believable.

Rumpel's performances, however, as both Mr. Gold and Rumpel > all

7. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I'd like to catch up on this. It seems like the kind of show where you can just watch a random episode (e.g. early X-Files) and still enjoy. True?

8. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    If you don't care about the main plot line and don't want to be total lost sure it's like X-Files. But no you would need to watch ifr from the start.

9. Esperanza_Nueva

Esperanza_Nueva Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 23, 2003
    The only episode I've cared about so far is the Beauty & the Beast episode, but I continue to watch the show on the hope that there will be other such glimmers of hope.

If you like OUAT, you should check out The 10th Kingdom. It was an NBC mini-series from probably a decade ago, but remains one of my favorite fairy tale things ever.

10. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    I'll just continue reading FABLES

11. WookatMe

WookatMe Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2010
    The wife and I look forward to this show every week.

12. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Love this show. I am waiting for the unicorn to show up that appears on the opening.

13. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    I want to know who Dr. Whale is supposed to be!!

14. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    I love this show as well. I missed the last two episodes. I have to catch it online.

15. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    I think this past episode is the only one I just haven't cared for at all. It was just too dreary with bad acting and characters I didn't care about.

16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I love Grumpy though. :(

17. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    The acting was particularly terrible. But I love Grumpy. And kept analyzing those fairy costumes.

18. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    They were odd costumes indeed. Especially the pink tutu one. I suspect that actress is the only person in the world that costume would look flattering on.

19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    You mean Amy Acker? From Angel, Alias, Dollhouse, etc. :)

(and whom I loooooove...)

20. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    i stopped watching this a while ago. i was hoping the show would start to rock 'n' roll once the first few episodes were out of the way, but there just wasn't enough there to keep me interested. i agree that robert carlyle is fantastic, but then you usually get what you pay for with actors.

21. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    This past week's episode totally makes up for last week's "meh" episode.

I was also a bit happy that the dude was named Peter for Peter and the Wolf. :D

22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I just thought they hated Profokiev... :(

23. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    This last episode was SO AWESOME. Gahhhh. I <3 this show now.

24. Sauntaero

Sauntaero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 9, 2003
    So were Mary Margaret's prints planted??

Also, Ruby just got so much more awesome.

25. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Roommate and I are trying to remember if that box is the same one Huntsman/Graham(RIP) was supposed to put Snow's heart in. We also want to know who's heart that is, and hope poor Kathryn is still alive somewhere. :(

While the next episode up might hopefully be cool (it's another Snow/EQ episode), I cannot WAIT for the one after that. It's an Alice in Wonderland episode!!