main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ABC's "Once Upon a Time"

Discussion in 'Community' started by Valyn, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I don't mind the effects in OUAT. It's the story that matters. Alice is unbearable for VFX though.

Lord Vivec likes this.
  2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Yeah, it could perhaps become an issue if they tried to make those elements more central to the story. As it is, though, they are largely asides. Most "action" is handled with the DBZ tactic of endlessly discussing how powerful characters are before they are ever seen doing anything beyond standing still or grunting. I'm sort of surprised at how well this facilitates the sort of relational drama they've used to drive the program, but when something works, it works.

Lord Vivec likes this.
  3. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    You know what I think would have made the finale great?

Instead of both Henry and Emma staying on Earth, have only Henry. It would be a real price. It would also allow Henry to make a choice to "be a hero." Henry would be in fostercare. And then, one year later, Emma would show up to try and convince Henry to return (macguffin/reason for his returning can be made up/revealed later). But not only would it add a level of tension (henry not remembering either is real mother nor his adoptive one) but it would be a nice inverse to the series pilot where Henry tried to convince Emma to go with him. Just my thoughts.

4. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    The way the effects look adds to what they do and to differentiate the worlds. Storybrook and the rest of the real world looks real, while the Enchanted Forest, Neverland, etc. all look slightly off because of the 'low budget' effects. It adds to the idea of it being a 'simpler' land, which is what the fairy tale worlds generally are.

I'm actually a little disappointed that they made Neil covered by the curse. While he was the original reason for the curse (by Rumple) he came to our world separately and has never been affected by the curse before now. It would have been interesting to see if they made them an entire family unit with Neil possibly retaining his memories of everything that had happened.

And they released who Rebecca Mader will play. It will be fun to see how they integrate that world and what era of her they take, and therefore which other characters can appear.

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    The parallels in this midseason finale though... as Miana Kenobi would say: "THE FEELS!"

To originally cast the curse, Regina had to give up what she loved the most and ripped out Henry's heart / killed Henry, because it was all about her. To recast it, she had to give up what she loved the most and let Henry live, because it was all about him.

When originally abandoning Baelfire, Rumplestiltskin did it because he was afraid and it was all about him. When doing it this time, he did it because he was no longer afraid and it was all about Bae.

6. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Baelfire is an awesome name, btw.

7. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I'm still in denial. They did not just kill my entire reason for watching this show.

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

I'm totally sure they did not; also, I'm pretty sure that a) they showed as much in the "trailer" for the back-half as well as b) the explanation was there on the wrist too...

9. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I'm pretty sure they didn't. The show wouldn't survive. There'll be some hokey Soap Opera type of return.

10. Dingo

Apr 23, 2001
    "hokey Soap Opera type of return" ??? You do realise you are watching a show about fairy tales and magic? They don't need to reach far for a consistent way.

In fact, the method itself begs some questions that can lead towards his return. The Dark One can only be killed by having the dagger and knowing the true name of the person. And when that happens, the power of the Dark One flows through to the person that was wielding the dagger. So what happens when it is suicide? We have seen that magic isn't just created or destroyed, so that power has to go somewhere. And there is a price for all magic also. Add in this, what Rumple did was out of love for Bael and Belle. We know that magic that is rooted in that kind of love is stronger than anything, but how does that kind of magic fit in with the Dark One?

With the addition now of Elphaba, could she be the new Dark One? And if so, how would that have come to be?

Sith-Lord-Gunray likes this.
  11. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Will she be Elphaba or Theodora? (Or Bastinda. Or my favorite, Evillene).

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

She will be...

The Wicked Witch of the West. The others aren't copyrighted by Disney and will cost them $$$; I believe anything not from the original Oz books, including Theadora, will cost money to someone even if Disney owns that last one...

13. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    So she will be Sue.

14. Thrawn1786

Thrawn1786 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 8, 2004
    Universal Studios owns the rights to Wicked, no matter how much we/I want her to be named Elphaba. I seriously doubt they'll lend the usage of the name out to Disney.

15. SoloKnight

SoloKnight Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    I finally binge watched this season over my break and overall liked it. I thought Pan was a good villain and I liked Regina finally getting some redemption. I find Neil boring however and just want him out of Emma's life.. Also the kid who plays Henry ruins the character for me. The only time I've ever liked Henry is when he switched bodies with Pan and thus was played by a different actor.

Sith-Lord-Gunray likes this.
  16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  17. Dingo

Apr 23, 2001
    We also get to see Glinda, but not quite the one we know supposedly.

And Charles Measure comes in as Blackbeard and an antagonist for Hook. I'm liking that development.

One last interesting couple of throw-away lines from an interview with the showrunners: there is the chance that we will see Pan again. Not this season, but maybe later on. Also while the plotting for both OUaT and OUaT:W are set for this year and are in different timelines, there is the chance that down the line there will be a more structured cross-over than what we have seen so far.

18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    OUAT:W is dead.

So... unlikely? (it's the show most likely to be cancelled, if not already)

19. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    I'm excited to have Pan back. That actor was brilliant (thus why I wanted the whole body swap with Henry to be permanent).

20. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  21. Moviefan2k4

Moviefan2k4 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2009
    Nice clip, especially the not-so-subtle reveal at the end.

22. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  23. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    Just got caught up on Wonderland. Am I the only one not hating this show? I did hate it at first and thought it was crap, but it has something to it....like I actually *like* the characters, which I guess I don't usually do in most tv shows. The visuals are still an embarrassment but I just pretend I'm watching an 80s tv show and it's rad.

24. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    I'm backlogged on the 2 new Wonderland episodes. I hated the first 1-2 episodes, but finished the first half of the season and ended up loving it. From what I've read on random hokey internet rumors the show is on hardcore life support though and probably wont be renewed for S2.

In other OUaT news: That's some monkey business.

25. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    If it does get cancelled, it might be nice for them to somehow work the wonderland characters into the main show. At least a few of the main ones.