main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ABC's "Once Upon a Time"

Discussion in 'Community' started by Valyn, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    No, Jabba. He's your typical american child actor.

Jello. Turn it down a notch, you sound like Danny LaRue's gayer brother.

This is the one network show I watch. It's excellent in its way, to the point I'm not even bothered Disney are shoe-horning in Frozen characters. Because Frozen is superb and Elsa will be a much more interesting villain than TWW.

2. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    The Wicked Witch quickly became a bore. But Pan was worse.

3. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I loved Pan. The despicable bastard.

Sith-Lord-Gunray likes this.
  4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yeah, that was a really interesting turn on Peter Pan. And, while the Wicked Witch was pretty awful, the missing year has promise and the Evil Queen still is one of the best things on the show because of her snark.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Pan was the kind of evil that was almost uncomfortable to watch, while the Evil Queen is the highly entertaining kind of evil. The Wicked Witch was sort of just... there.

I'm glad they didn't drag out the thing with her identity, but it also just made her seem pretty non-threatening. She'd kind of just show up every so often and then leave.

6. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I kind of feel like the Wicked Witch would have been better if she was a less prominent villain, kind of in the background of a few seasons like Cora. Actually I just want Cora back.

TrandoJedi and dp4m like this.
  7. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I was kinda disappointed the Wicked Witch storyline ended so soon. I think a background villain would be fantastic!

8. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    So Season 3's on Netflix and I've just gotten through about the first six episodes. I don't think I've put anything at all in this thread yet, so for now I'll just post my general opinion of the show so far.

Gold is without a doubt my favorite character in the series–he has, IMO, gone from villain, to anti-hero, to flat-out hero at this point. And Regina is just as awesome. Neal is also pretty great (though my brother doesn't like him all that much). I also think they cast Snow White perfectly; in the first season especially, in both the Enchanted Forest and Storybrooke, she pretty much oozed kindness and compassion, as Snow should. I also might have a slight crush on her. Charming, I do like despite his usual relative expressionlessness. I actually think that's a role he plays, because if you look at the same actor's role in Thor as Fandral, he's anything but the stoic, expressionless character; he's a braggart who loves to fight (kind of like James, actually). Emma kind of grates on me; she's done some awesome things, but she kind of moans and whines all the time. Henry, I didn't like in S1 but he grew on me in S2 and S3. Belle is great; love her accent (and the fact that she was on Lost helps my appreciation :p). And then there's Hook, who at first I couldn't stand but over time came to enjoy. (Did anybody except me note that Hook got knocked out, betrayed, or tied up in pretty much every episode of Season 2 from the time he was introduced?)

So far I'm greatly enjoying Season 3–can't wait to see what's to come!

TrandoJedi likes this.
  9. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Saw the season premiere yesterday. I've admittedly been very critical of the writing in this show (mostly when the episodes don't revolve around Rumple, as his episodes are basically masterpieces compared with episodes that revolve around those bland other characters), but I've appreciated the (sometimes clever) modified versions of each character's background and story.

That said, what the frak? They shamelessly copy and paste every element of the Frozen film into Once Upon a Time, without any modifications to any of those characters. Pretty absurd, imo.

Plus, the dude playing Christoff quickly got annoying with his 6th-grade drama class acting ability.

10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    They had me at dancing in the Belle dress to "Tale As Old As Time"...

Dingo, Revanfan1 and ma_petite like this.
  11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    They were saying into the lead up that they didn't dare change any of it. I'm not sure if it's really because of their stated reason of being unable to better it or just to capture a larger audience. I'm admittedly a little curious what an alternate version of the story would've looked like, but I can't say I'm too bothered by it. Quite the opposite in fact, as in happy to enjoy a followup and am enjoying the setting with the costuming and props of the show's usual quality.

But yeah the Kristoff guy was pretty terrible.

Anyway aside from the Frozen stuff, what I wanted to see most was Regina and the followup to last season's events.

I'm glad she didn't backslide right away -- she's gone a bit too far for that, and it'd have been as unrealistic as season two 's quick shift to good guy status.

That said she seems to have decided that she's a villain after all. I'm curious to see where they go with that. And it was very intentional that they followed up her line about villains not getting happy endings with a Rumple scene.

And on that note, seems like they finally went full movie with him and Belle, too . Some people may think it's too much but eh -- channeling the movies from time to time is kinda nice. It was a good moment and I don't even like these characters in the show.

Edit: oh do we not do spoiler tags in this thread? This is my first time watching live, so I'm not sure how folks usually do it here. I'll go with whatever you guys already do.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

12. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    I too was glad about how Regina was somewhat less than predictable (a rare event in this series). And the follow up scene with Rumple did strike me as deliberate too. Why do you not like Rumple, Jello? I understand that Belle leaves much to be desired, but I figure that Rumple pretty much carries the entire series.

13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Oh, a question on the ending of this season premiere...

Did Rumple end up with a teleporting hat, like the Hatter had made? It looked like a hat with the cosmos inside and I was trying to figure the significance... trying to remember if that was his old house he was stuck in...

PS - I miss Sebastian Stan...

14. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    It reminded me of Yensid and Mickey's hat :p

15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    dp4m

I think it's the Mickey Sorcerer's Apprentice hat. It had the right shape, and the star pattern etc

I mean that he's not one of my favorite characters. He's certainly interesting and his story goes through many permutations -- but I'm not "rooting" for him, so to speak. I find him unlikable. That's just a matter of taste though, I couldn't really say why. Leeroy's likable despite being not a thirtieth as interesting as Rumple.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Jello, that makes sense. I hadn't gone that far back in the canon in my head, lacking caffeine.

17. ma_petite

ma_petite Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2006
    I think it's the Mickey Sorcerer's Apprentice hat. It had the right shape, and the star pattern etc
    I saw an article that this was confirmed from Entertainment Weekly interviewing the writers.

I adored this episode. The dance had me in tears.

Sent from my iHorse[/quote]

18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    wonder if it has something to do with the villain of the season -- or cannot be Elsa, so perhaps either the Sorcerer or his apprentice (hopefully not actually the Mouse) might be the villain?

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

19. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    Jello, dp- Important information to consider :
    When the apprentice hat appeared, that was also the theme from Fantasia that was playing in the background, so it has to represent something from Fantasia. Something to think about is that besides the apprentice segment, Fantasia also had segments from the Nutcracker Suite or even more sinister was Night on Bald Mountain-where spirits and such were summoned from their graves. Given Rumple's focus on his son's grave, I'd say the power to summon undead would be on his mind.....or maybe even the head demon from that segment.

20. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    That awkard moment when you realize that Star Wars technically exists in the Once Upon a Time universe

*if you can't watch the video then its basically a character talking about wanting to use the sarlacc pit to torture a character*

Revanfan1 and Juliet316 like this.
  21. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Yeah, working on a fanfic about that. :p

22. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I'm looking forward to OUAT's FU to Frozen by throwing in the Snow Queen. I hope she wipes the floor with Elsa.

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Elsa will always win in the end :p

I haven't read any reviews or anything yet, but I wonder if this Snow Queen business will allay all the concerns of people that the show just decided to abandon traditional versions of the fairy tales. They've been allowing more Disney as the seasons have rolled on, but they've not sold out completely just yet. Although it remains to be see what'll be done with the apprentice hat.

Also, lol @ Anna teaching Charming how to be a hero. I've not yet decided if that was silly or amazing.

24. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    You do know the Snow Queen will lose, yes?

25. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Elsa's got more power than even Sub-Zero.