main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ABC's "Once Upon a Time"

Discussion in 'Community' started by Valyn, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Alarming amount of cleavage this ep... not really a complaint or a good thing, just unsure as to why they went that extreme with belle's costume.

Otherwise, I like how they've reversed the pity party between hook + rumples.

Anddd I'm going to place bets on Maleficent being the villain above Corra again. It doesn't seem to add up right now, but she's been pretty underused so far for such a favorite villiain...that and the convenient name dropping of her in this ep. to remind the audience that she exists. Could be wrong though.

2. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Haha yeah, roommie and I were commenting on Belle's cleavage.

Speaking of Belle, BELLE!! :( :( :(

And Phillip!!

3. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    I just found it amusing that she left the tavern in her blue dress but conveniently found her 'bad ass warrior Xena' outfit on the road. I'm bummed that we're back to amnesiac Belle. :(

I agree about Maleficent as a villain. They have to use her in a big way soon, I think.

I'm glad they found Archie quickly instead of drawing it out.

So, Hook in jail? Dude in hospital - okay. Frankenstein next week? Interesting.

4. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Hook is growing on me. Didn't care for him at first, but now he's become fairly tolerable.

5. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    Ahhh! Belle! Ahhh! Who was in the car that crashed into Hook?!?!

6. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I started watching Once Upon a Time on Netflix last Sat. Now I am caught up except for Sunday's episode. Really enjoying the show and their takes on the fairy tales.

7. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Welcome to the cult, Frieda.

Handmaiden Yané and s65horsey like this.
  8. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I missed this last one. I could not stay up.

9. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Meh on this episode. I mean...

I understand the whole feminist "girls kick butt" thing, but does every woman on this show have to go around poking things with sharp objects? I mean, what's wrong with contributing to society by being bookish and intellectual? There are other ways to be strong, brave, and useful than by making stuff bleed, you know. It just felt unnecessary, out-of-character, and gratuitous for Belle to suddenly turn into Rambelle for no particular reason.

And please, I'm not just being sexist here. I'd say the same thing if they suddenly had Archie swinging axes and firing cannons, too. That's just not consistent with the character as it's been set up for us, and having her character do inexplicably out-of-character stuff just for the sake of not taking the slightest risk of being the least bit not-PC just annoys me.

Also...

Belle really, really ought to not try any more of the Rambo routine - she seriously isn't any good at it. Having someone who doesn't know what they're doing trying to do dangerous things just puts other people at risk. Stay in the library, please.

And another thing, any ideas on the significance of the license plate on the car that hit Hook? It was a Pennsylvania plate - 2KFL138. There's been some speculation that...

It could be a phonetic for "take flight", indicating maybe Peter Pan. Or maybe: 2 Kids For Life - maybe Peter Pan and Wendy?

Remember, these are the people who created Lost - everything has a meaning and significance.

10. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    I kind of thought that Rumple's kid, erm, BAELLLL or whoever was Peter Pan. The whole little boy getting sent off to Neverland thing. Since it seems that Neverland is the real world.

As far as your Belle comments, I thought it was clearly established that she was a book person. Just someone who uses books + logic to avoid fighting. Hence the immediate pwnage when she tried to attack. Maybe if you stayed in the library more, that would've been evident to you as well.

Handmaiden Yané and ma_petite like this.
  11. Narutakikun

Nov 8, 2012
    Well, if she was trying to avoid fighting, then...

...going along with a bunch of guys who announced that they were going off to fight a dangerous monster was kind of a bad way to do that. As was going onto Hook's ship all by herself armed only with a gun that she really didn't know how to use instead of calling for backup from people who were good at fighting, which would have been the logical thing to do instead of the birdbrained, gung-ho, Leeroy Jenkins thing to do.

Also...

I didn't know they played Once Upon A Time in libraries. Your local library must be considerably geekier than mine is.

12. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Now that I am finally trying Netflix I was thinking of doing the same after my Walking Dead/Ken Burns catch up.

13. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    I'm somewhat interested in this show.

Why should I watch it, and will I be screaming at the TV that it's ripping off Fables?

14. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Because it's stupidly fun.

s65horsey likes this.
  15. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003

It's just really entertaining. And if you're a fan of fairy tales and the like, they twist them all together in a bit of a refreshing way. The acting is for the most part good, sometimes it's iffy...the script is acceptable, the cg effects are poor but the practical ones + costuming are really good. And they seem to rely on the original fairy tale versions firstly, then incorporate some of the disney-ized stuff as details so it's not overbearing.

16. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I'd argue that essentially there isn't a society. They're attempting to get back to their society and to do that one can't just sit around in a library. In times of conflict how is it helpful to sit around in a library doing bookish things? Also if she hadn't gone on the raid to find the monster no one would've been able to see past the monster to find the man trapped there. It made perfect sense in the confines of the story for Belle to be the one to discover Phillip as the cursed monster. Also in the Disney Beauty and the Beast Belle doesn't just sit in a Library being bookish. She goes tearing off into the forest several times to try to rescue her father and stands up to Gaston. She was aggressive in the films, this is not out of character for her except only in your mind where you've made her into something she is not.

Peter Pan would make the most sense considering the car took out Hook and that is what Peter Pan does.

17. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Finally all caught up. :( :( I really hate that I now have to wait weekly for a fix.

As to the license plate, I'm terrible with those, but did wonder how it related to Peter Pan. :p

Also, Belle's boobs? What the hell is that when you're going off with a bunch of guys???

Sith-Lord-Gunray likes this.
  18. Narutakikun

Nov 8, 2012
    s65horsey

I think you may be getting timelines mixed up. That's very easy to do with OUAT - the show flashes back and forward so much that it's often hard to keep straight, but basically...

Belle went after the flaming dog-monster way before the curse. Remember, it's at the end of that story thread that she gets captured by Regina and locked in the tower. So that would have happened at a point in time when there were plenty of people to go chase the monster - she didn't have to be the one to do that.

Also...

How helpful is it to sit in a library and do bookish things? Often, it's extremely helpful. Indiana Jones didn't learn all those dead languages or details of ancient cultures by having Nazis hit him in the face, you know. I know we never saw it because it would have made for a boring movie, but he must have spent way, way more hours in a library doing bookish things than he did with a bullwhip in his hand. You don't get a Ph. D in Archaeology from the University of Chicago unless you're pretty good at the whole "bookish" thing.

Same, in their own way, with the Jedi. Hour after hour, day after day spent in the Temple practicing swordsmanship, meditating on the nature of the Force, and learning from Holocrons isn't exactly riveting cinema, so we don't see much of it on screen, but it's still there, and still critical. Same too with hour after hour, day after day sitting in a dusty library at Hogwarts memorizing spells. Or with Scotty sitting at a desk pulling all-nighters with the 23rd century equivalent of Mountain Dew and a stack of technical manuals.

Now the thing about that is...

In movies, the people who do bookish things and the people who crack the bullwhips or swing the lightsabers are often the same people. But in the real world, they often aren't. In the real world, for example, Muslim terrorists are usually tracked down by boring people who work in cubicles in Northern Virginia who sit there from 9 to 5 looking through financial records or writing code that searches emails for keywords. Believe me - there aren't many Navy SEALs who are doing that. In the real world, Al Capone was finally busted not by the work of Tommy-gun-toting G-Men, but by government accountants who were finally able to prove that he wasn't reporting income on his tax returns.

Now, I realize that Storybrooke isn't exactly the real world - but it's still true that Belle could contribute a lot by sitting in a library and being bookish. People who do that are precisely the people who stop the men with the guns from having to charge in Leeroy-style.[/quote]

In fact...

Belle would have contributed more by doing that. I've known some people who've been in serious combat, and the people in their platoons they always worried about causing unnecessary danger were the ones that were prone to charging in without thinking things through all the way.

Remember that scene in the first episode of Rome when Vorenus has Pullo flogged for breaking ranks, even though he did it not to run away, but to charge out and fight the barbarians? There's a reason why he did that. There's a reason why any Roman centurion would do the same. People who have faced real danger know that the way you make it through is by having a plan, keeping your head, and doing the logical thing - not by running off half-cocked with a sword waving around.

That's exactly what Belle did, and she put herself and others in danger by doing it.

Anyhow, must dash for now. More when I get back.

19. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    Narutakikun, I find your existence to be irritating, and I'm not sure I can comprehend how successfully you've managed to misinterpret life and general social habits so far, while continuing to apply these distorted views to a television show as if they're laws. I would have argued each of your points, but I can't help but think that you're probably trolling because your views are so obtuse, and the spoilers within spoiler tags seem to be a giveaway.

Handmaiden Yané and s65horsey like this.
  20. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    I want to not feed the troll but I can't stop myself.

Can you explain how Belle can go after a flaming monster before the curse when the flaming monster is the curse I was talking about? In the episode the flaming monster is Phillip. He is cursed to be a flaming monster. That's the curse I was talking about. Not sure if you're talking about Regina's Storybrook thing or what, but I made no reference to that. I was refering the scene where Belle sees the flaming monster as having a human characteristic and realizes it is a human and cures the monster so he turns into Phillip. He then says "She cursed me to be this monster". Please do not act as if I can't follow a simple timeline in the tv show. It isn't that hard.

Handmaiden Yané likes this.
  21. Narutakikun

Nov 8, 2012
    s65horsey.

Well, what you said was:

"I'd argue that essentially there isn't a society. They're attempting to get back to their society and to do that one can't just sit around in a library."

But wait a second...

If you're talking about Belle going after Hook in Storybrooke, then in what sense is there not "a society"? Storybrooke is a society, and one that is rather comfortable and functions pretty well - a point that Mary-Margaret made herself when she told David that she didn't want to leave.

And if you're talking about Belle going after the dog-monster in FTL, then in what sense was there not "a society" then, either? It was before Regina's curse, which is the only curse in FTL that brought an end to "society"

So frankly, I'm not really sure what you were talking about there at all.

Now as for Belle, sure things turned out for the best when she found out that...

the dog-monster was really a cursed Prince. But the fact that she lucked out and things just happened to have turned out okay doesn't mean that she wasn't a fool to go charging off half-cocked into a situation that she wasn't trained, equipped, or prepared to face. Doing things like that might turn out fine if you luck out like Belle did, but most of the time you're just going to be a danger to yourself and others

But more than anything I just kind of object on principle to the idea that...

you can't seriously contribute to the cause by sitting in a library and doing bookish things. That attitude strikes me as very anti-intellectual. There are more ways to help in a fight than going out and sticking people with swords. I mean, Einstein, Fermi, and Oppenheimer spent World War II sitting around and doing math equations. That helped out a lot, didn't it?

Anyhow, I wasn't trying to be insulting. As I said, OUAT is hard to follow sometimes. It was created by the people who made Lost, and that show was notoriously hard to follow sometimes too.

22. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Why didn't they have Belle just sit around in a library instead of going on adventures? Is it because she's always wanted to go on adventures instead of just reading about them? Sick of this bogus anti-intellectual feminist PC crap.

23. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    That's what I should've said several posts ago.

24. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    Wow, okay.

Yes, Belle tries her hand at adventures and sword-fighting, but she isn't great at fighting. I think I would be more annoyed if she turned out to be fabulously talented at sword-fighting. That would make her a Mary Sue. She tries her hand at it because she wants adventure (in the great wide somewhere...she wants it more than she can tell....!!!!) but what really contributes to her success in this episode is not her skill with a sword, but her brains and using her books.

She tracks the monster by translating her book, but also with her intuitive tracking skills. But then, she loses out on killing the monster because she's unskilled at the sword. When it comes down to the final showdown, it wasn't brawn but brains that she used. She lured the monster into a trap, where she had rigged up the water sieve. So, in my opinion, she was equipped to handle herself with the monster.

25. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    SW moment anyone? Rumple killed his love but "there is still good in him!"

Gee, that was a lot of cleavage.

Malificent mention. I want to see her and Regina square off in some way.

Yoiguai, a Chinese term for demon. In this case a hound aka hell hound.