Abel Pena, Pable Hidalgo & other keepers of the holocron...

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Tricky, Aug 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tricky Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    That is these guys jobs, right, to fix EU continuity issues after the fact: i.e. CWAS messes & the holocron guys will fix everything after the cartoon is over?

Is that enough for us "hardcore" EU fanatics here? I don't mean the casual EU fan that could care less about continuity issues. Would you as a hardcore EU'er like these guys to be able to veto story ideas that mess with current EU continuity or to even have a meeting with for example Filoni & staff to compromise on story ideas before making their cartoon? Should Lucas give the Holocron keepers the authority to work below Shapiro & Rostoni but above any other SW media contributers, in order to keep the whole of SW EU as cohesive as possible?

Does the current system work for you? What do you think the Holocron keepers could do to keep the whole of SW EU running as smooothly as possible?

Besides being all about hypotheticals, the general subject can go in one of the many, many continuity threads we already have. Like this one.
  2. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
  3. Charlemagne19 Chosen One

star 7
    Continuity matters to me but only in the broad sense.

So yes.
  4. IllogicalRogue2 Jedi Knight

star 2
    I think the guys are doing a great job- but from what I can tell the job is limited. It must be the one department going 'grrrrr management!' [face_laugh]

Should they or another group be allowed more say IMO yes. I think a "Continuity Crew" needs established myself. It won't happen- no one can tell GL no. But there should be a systems set up to flag these things. From there it can all fall straight on GL, which for the most part it does anyway.

It'd be nice to have a different system that wasn't a mop up system.

That said those posted in the headline are doing a great job and doing their best.
  5. Armchair_Admiral Force Ghost

star 4
    From the starwars.com boards:

Chee is nothing more than a librarian, and thus should have no editorial control over the SW franchise. That responsibility alone belongs to the heads of Lucasfilm and its spin-off companies, who all need to get together in a Council of Nicaea and figure out how the EU should align itself with the spirit of Lucas's and Filoni's vision for SW. Once they figure that out, then absolutely everything that fails to meet most of the basic requirements that get set should be eliminated from the official canon. Force-willing, all of Marvel's material gets swept away, along with most of the Bantam junk because there was no central control over the stories Marvel and Bantam did. Nearly all of Del Ray's post-ROTJ trash would get thrown away too, because those novels are spectacular failures at keeping true to the spirit of the SW saga (and of couse, having backstories based on flawed work without central planing, and thus unusable). Once every last remnant of the Old Continuity that was not controled via central planning or otherwise doesn't fit the tone of the films gets swept away, we'll finally have an EU that's finally purged of such stupid things as Waru, the Sun Crusher, and Mofferances.
  6. Gomez_Addams Jedi Knight

star 1
    I thought this was especially hilarious, considering your icon.[face_laugh]
  7. Blithe Force Ghost

star 4
    The EU should NEVER be purged of the mofference.

All that mental power. . .
  8. Darth_Zandalor Force Ghost

star 4
    Your icon really captures your writing style, I must say. but do you have to come into every thread on canon topics and throw stuff in our faces like this? This thread is about trying to maintain canon, and all you're trying to do is tell everyone to nuke anything not made by george lucas himself. Lets try to keep this on topic and not let it degenerate into another Karen Traviss thread.

Yes, I do think we need a continuity crew.
  9. Armchair_Admiral Force Ghost

star 4
    Not exactly; anything where George Lucas or his company exercised strict editorial control should remain canon; such material would include the Thrawn trilogy (Lucas made sure those books didn't have material he thought was objectionable), the SOTE and TFU multimedia projects (both recieved massive hype from LFL, and in TFU's case also recieved quite a bit of guidance from Lucas), and most of the stuff placed in the prequel era (except for anything that doesn't fit the spirit of the SW films, which has already happened with the RC novels). I think we're kidding ourselves if we think that cash-in comics printed back in 1980, or a mere prototype sequel to ANH, and other EU material made before the LFL Holocron came along should hold the same canon weight as everything else.
  10. blackmyron Force Ghost

star 5
    If you try to strike down GoDV, it will just become more powerful than you could ever imagine...
  11. TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff

VIP
    star 5
    I'd throw out TTT also; the Clone Wars stuff is completely wrong. I don't know how much of the prequel stuff we'd want to keep either; a lot of it sets up stuff that's eventually continued in what would be defunct sources: the Bantam era and New Jedi Order and whatnot. Not to mention that much of the EU is all about covering subjects in a way different than the films would, so stuff like Shatterpoint and the Medstar duology would be out. After all, Lucas is said to have taken what he was going to put into Apocalypse Now into Return of the Jedi, so we know how well Shatterpoint would fit with his vision. :p And Medstar is basically MASH in space--nothing like a Star Wars film.

TC
  12. Darth_Zandalor Force Ghost

star 4
    deleting canon for not staying true to the films destroys the sense of a larger universe.
    Creativity would be thrown out of the universe if everything had to conform to the view of the films. If star wars is meant to be for everyone, why does that mean that everything has to be for everyone. There's a big difference between making a star wars product that is for all ages, and one that appeals to a niche group. both can be applied to make star wars for everybody, but the latter is far more versatile in my opinion.
  13. RaidonMakoto Jedi Knight

star 1
    Leland Chee needs to Executive Produce TCW in George Lucas' stead. I really can't stand any more continuity torn apart or made into something ridiculous.

That is all.
  14. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    I feel compelled to point out that being a SW continuity expert does not automatically mean one is qualified to be a producer and/or screenwriter and/or editor and/or novelist. There's bound to be some other criteria out there, I'm sure. [face_whistling]
  15. Armchair_Admiral Force Ghost

star 4
    But Waru needs to be destroyed once and for all. [face_praying]
  16. ATimson Force Ghost

star 4
    Quite true. Creative Consultant That They're Actually Bound To Obey doesn't quite roll off the tongue as nicely, though, does it? :p
  17. Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji

VIP
    star 4
    [image=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y151/ValinKenobi/Forums/thumbs_up.jpg]

Yeah, most of this stuff you guys are describing is well outside their mandate as well as, potentially, their areas of professional ability or even interest.

As much as we might sometimes prefer it otherwise, Pablo, Leland, et al work for George, not the other way around. TCW is his personal project and as such it goes WAY over these guys' heads.

As much as we would prefer TCW to receive the same oversight as other Licensing projects, at this point any continuity-love we get in the episodes should be taken in the spirit of a bone thrown to fans in lieu of George having a better idea. Unfortunately.
  18. blackmyron Force Ghost

star 5
    Or vice versa... ;)
  19. IllogicalRogue2 Jedi Knight

star 2
    I'm not alone! :D
  20. Xoxaan11594 Jedi Knight

star 1
    We are the continuity crew!:-B
  21. DarthMRN Jedi Youngling

star 3
    If Abel and Pablo work for Licencing, that is the first I've heard of it. As far as I know they are just authors who make a special effort to keep things coherent.

Guess I would, yes. Not that I'm terribly optimistic.

You essentially describe a big part of Leland's job. And contrary to what people in this thread seems to think, Licencing does have the authority to scap ideas for the EU. They just don't have that power over TCW. And as far as the EU is concerned, they unfortunately seem to be flexible as sin, and grossly overworked. But they do have the power to squash discrepancies, even if tons of crap slip through the cracks.

Makes you wonder what SW would look like without them...oh wait! Early Marvel...

I suppose I can't complain, as I've never even heard of a system that works better, but in a perfect world?

-Material would be checked so thoroughly before release that discrepancies were almost unheard of.
    -Exact dates would never be mentioned, except in dedicated chronologies. Timelines would be understood by vague references to previous events and blanket names for the general period a story took place ("During the Clone Wars").
    -When errors did occur, they would be edited away in subsequent editions. When impossible without compromising the story, the source would be thrown in the S bin immediately, and with extreme prejudice.
    -Leland would have an almost dictatorial iron grip on author liberty, and rein them in whenever he deemed them to stray too far from the established with outlandish things such as extradimensional beings, time travel, Force fireballs, Force teleporting and superpowered Maces and Mareks. In these cases, he would overcome the human error factor by always erring on the side of caution.
    -George would be bound by Licencing, but only so long as the above criteria were already met for the entirety of the EU. As things are now, we need a little GL to take us back to SW.
  22. IllogicalRogue2 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Alas if ONLY we were on payroll :)
  23. Sompeetalay Force Ghost

star 2
    To be honest, I've stopped worrying about the CW continuity. It's obvious that a lot of folks (even LFL Licensing) are having trouble to keep the continuity in order so I guess that sooner or later somebody will pretty much fix this up. I like the CW series but they do sometimes take continuity lightly. Nothing that can't be fixed though.

I'm more worried about other aspects of continuity and the Holocon. What's the Story wasn't just a great Hyperspace feature, it was also a great way to give secondary characters their name. WTS is finished and the excellent 'Visual Guides' on SW.com have mysteriously stopped to appear. Those guides were probably the best feature ever to appear on SW.com. A lot of updates we get now are uninteresting and without any proper meaning.

So what worries me most is the current lack of a proper medium where unnamed characters, etc... from the movies and spin-offs could receive a name of designation. This could so easily been done in the SW Insider for example but the content of Insider has really gone downhill during the last years.
  24. vong333 Force Ghost

star 4
    I think that despite the minor grievances, it still the best. What everyone must remember is that GL is the man, this is his baby, and he can do with it whatever he likes. We as fans, as well the authors must also remember that we may love a certian period, event or character, and though we are greatful for EU continuity and the work that put into it, GL can revise and change things on demand. I know some fans say, yeah, but I want my voice heard and I have a right as a fan and all that jazz. Randy at Dark Horse was spot on with his comment.

But, in the end, doesn't GL get his way any way? Have any of you watched the Epmire Strikes Back on Spike the other day? I nticed for the very first time, that Boba Fett's voice was changed to reflect the voice of Jango. I personally didn't like the change but we have it now.

I also don't think that the clone wars animated series made of mess of anything. I now personally think it was a smart move. The stuff that came out before was a mess. The only books I thought were worth anything was Shatterpoint and LOE, plus the Dark Horse comics and Genndy's animated series. The other stuff was crap.
    Now we will get stuff from the end of AOTC till the begining of ROTS that makes sense and is cohesive, and doen by the man himself. Sorry Traviss
  25. sonnymyson Jedi Knight

star 3
    Vong, you are too correct.[face_praying] LFL's will shall prevail. Thank the Maker.

Personally, at http://community.livejournal.com/capslock_cw they have struck Filoni gold.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.