Abel Pena, Pable Hidalgo & other keepers of the holocron...

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Tricky, Aug 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Zandalor Force Ghost

star 4
    Well that is one thing I can agree with you on.
  2. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Suggesting a continuity advisement panel (especially ones formed by fans) would veto entire works or wield some kind of grand editorial control over content is a silly suggestion- it would never happen and does not reflect the nature of what SW is as a media entity.

It also makes the egotistical suggestion that the fans know better than anyone else what SW is to people. SW is such a different thing to so many people, in many ways not even Lucas really can claim that (though in more literal corporate terms, he obviously can).

A "continuity panel"'s purpose would be more like a secondary proofreading function- having more deeply knowledged individuals capable of spotting more minor inconsistencies that can be easily rectified without having an impact on the content.

And it should be professionals- pros like Abel and Dan and Jason can do just as well in many areas as some of the mini-wikis who've posted here over the last decade. The only advantge in being more numerous is the likelyhood of specialty knowledge/interest catching certain details (someone more knowledged in GFFA maps with someone who knows GCW minutia with someone who knows the fleet junkie stuff, etc etc) on a regular basis and not just specific reference projects.

SW isn't crying out for that right now- it doesn't need it, but if it were there, it could certainly help.

Unfortunately, Lucas was involved with at least the early Marvel material. A good reason why all-George-all-the-time is probably as flawed an approach to SW material as any other ;)
  3. Darth_Zandalor Force Ghost

star 4
    I agree with The2ndQuest, this continuity panel would be better suited to pointing out details to authors than announcing canon rules. I'm sure no SW author would want to out mode or out date another authors contributions purposely, but sadly that isn't always the case. A continuity panel could be used to give suggestions or ideas to help the process run smoother without impeding on the creative juices.
  4. blackmyron Force Ghost

star 5
    Well, there are already unofficial versions of this that are or have been used - this board, for instance, has a nice influx of various authors who will occasionally throw something out for discussion and see what comes up - Jason Fry, for instance, would stop by to see what some of the Carto-Junkies thought of this or that and they used one of the biggest of them - modi - as a major source for the Atlas. It's fun, and it's good fan relations, but it's not a 'canon review board' by any stretch of the imagination.
  5. Bill-Thompson Jedi Knight

star 3
    Continuity checkers have been a part of film and TV for years, for a universe as large as Star Wars there's no reason they shouldn't also be present there. The fact that they don't actually have a set person or persons charged with keeping the continuity straight before anything is published is quite sad actually.
  6. arniec Jedi Padawan

I see this from both sides. On the one hand, we like tight continuity. We like to immerse ourselves in this universe and see the "real story" etc.

But on the other hand I like a good story and many times I hear writers (book or TV/film) complain about being bound by continuity, not able to tell the story they want to tell, the best story they can tell presumably, due to continuity.

The thing that frustrates me is the hierarchy of it. Sure, it's Lucas' sandbox so he can run ramshod over everything, but why the cartoon series doesn't have to pay any attention to what's come before (no one knows a Talz? Really?) but the book authors (who turn in superior work) are stuck with it...that frustrates me as a fan.

But in the end, they're telling the stories they want to tell, and when it's over it will be made to "fit"... Like Karen Traviss said, "a circle [she] can't square"
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.